Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Line Boring

sbell4 ยท 2016-11-27 13:31

Hello, Im a younger fella from eastern ohio that is super interested in learning how to line bore. I am a mechanic by trade and have a strong backround in welding also. I have not the slightest clue on where to even start on learning how to bore. I worked at a CAT dealership, until I got laid off, when I worked for the dealer they had their own partnered company that come in to do all the bore work, so we didn't do it ourselves. I was just curious on how other members on this site that line bore got started and learned how to do it? Thanks!!

Replies4
  1. #1RayF2016-11-27 18:17

    Do a search. There are lots of info on Line Boring here

  2. #2nowing752016-11-27 21:10

    Are you wanting to do it full time. We made a boreing bar and got some flange bearings. We power it with a Milwaukee mag drill. We don't have a lot of money in it but we don't use it a lot. I think if you plan on full time you would need some better equipment that is not cheap. I'm surprised to hear your layed off as our local dealer is always looking.

  3. #3sbell42016-11-28 08:54

    No not full time, I would like to just learn the basics if I ever have to do it one day down the road. Do you have any pics? I started at the dealer three years ago and went through their think big program and it was kinda busy when I started but after school was over everything was super slow. My personal opinion it is because of the decline of coal in our area, our biggest customers were coal companies.

  4. #4Delmer2016-11-28 10:34

    Ray has lots of pictures in various threads on lineboring here. Use a search engine to search "lineboring heavyequipmentforums" if you're not finding them.