what are the pros and cons of a through bar drive like climax vs pros and cons of end of bar drive like York. i have only used climax drives and am wondering if theirs any benefit to having a "york" style drive that has to be mounted on the end of the bar? the only benefit i can think of is you don't have the cut a key when making bars.
I know the York will do face build up, very useful. Couldn't find any demonstrations of the Climax doing that
I too have a older Climax, (BB-1149) and is hydraulic drive w/2.250" bar. I have made adapters to drive both a 1.750", and 1.250" bar. It works well but everything is overpriced so mostly make my own tooling. I've only borrowed an electric end drive bar machine and it too worked well and was much easier to set up being much lighter in weight. Climax does make a facing head for their machines also. I've borrowed one as can't justify to purchase for the amount of use it would get. I use a BoreTech BOA-308i welding machine for face build up and a facing head to machine back down to proper dimension. I use the hydraulic power unit more in the shop for testing and running hydraulics than driving the boring machine. Variable speed and pressure come in handy for several things.
Also don't have a facing head(would like to get one) and I don't have a trammel for are boretech, so I just weld faces up by hand and cut them by manually advancing the cutter. It's pain to do any mobile work having to load hpu and 3phase generator plus everything else and would like to add an electric unit for mobile use. I could get an electric end of bar unit for a fraction of what a climax electric drive and feed unit would cost.
What model unit do you have? Everything by Climax is exorbitant in price so replicating is order of the day for me when needing anything. My HDU is 240VAC single phase. It is from th 80's and no plastic at all so very heavy to both set up, and use. It won't even think of stalling out during a cut neither.
Bb5000, I got a quote from climax for just the electric drive and controller and it's fairly pricey(could probably diy a Milwaukee or Eibenstock drive fairly easy).
I believe Eibenstock has a direct fit drive for the setup. IIRC my manual lists an electric conversion, but of course it's Climax branded. Mine and the BB-5000 are basically the same thing except mine has nothing right angle to it but is straight through. The gearbox is totally different but they go by the same model number for some reason. Here is the only short blurb on my model I could find:
thank you, will look in to Eibenstock for a drive motor
snowball machine just built his own with the Eibenstock drive. He has the build on youtube.
Curtis with CEE uses a Sir Meccanica WS2 portable.. WS2 Plus
does any one have experience with a set up like that? climax uses self alighting bearings that are also adjustable after you weld the mount on. I would imagine with straight bearings and no adjustment after the mount has been welded you may get your self in a bind
Here's the DIY machine Nowing mentioned above.
I manufacture power feed / drives for line boring in my shop in Chicago, American made and more budget friendly than Climax. Have some videos up on my YouTube for anyone interested - line boring sets and power feeds available, International Revere Machining.
Wonder what it is worth with the power feed motor and 6 foot bar? Simon C
Line boring can be as complicated or as simple as you make it. It comes down to the measuring and knowledge to make a tool cut. The first boring job i was involved in was done with a 1/2" electric drill side drive thru a crown and pinion on a keyed bar. The feed was ready rod turned by hand with a ratchet. I was the welder in camp at the time so i did the buildup by hand ,the bores were about 12". The line boring guy was from a large machine shop in town,for us bush guys it was like God was coming into camp. He knew how to measure and grind high speed steel so it cut well and the job went great. But after seeing how primitive his gear was we went on to build out own side drive hydraulic bar and got into line boring. The next bar i had was a York end drive as they were built locally and were excellent quality. Over the years i got away from that work and now just do a bit on my own equipment. Always made the bearings out of self aligning pillow blocks with the housings turned down so we could have 4 way adiusting bolts. Heres the last boring job i did on my Cat303.5 stick end. Used my Milwaukee mag drill end driving the bar. End drive is probably simpler but can limit setups in tight spots .Hydraulic Side drive can be set up almost anywhere.
Correct. Awesome job