Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Line Boring on the brain !!!!!

trackdoc ยท 2013-10-15 14:21

Opened this account a few years back, but never used it. I specialize in Cat equipment and have traveled a fair bit of the world with mining companies. Am currently in Kyrgyzstan at a high altitude mine site working on a rotation. When I get home, I spend my time doing diagnostics for local guy's and line boring. In the perfect world I would be line boring full time, and hope to do so when I hang up the overseas stuff. I will upload pics when I get sorted out, of the stuff out here, and the line boring at home.

Replies23
  1. #1alrman2013-10-15 16:30

    Welcome trackdoc! We love pictures! Looking forward to seeing some.

  2. #2trackdoc2013-10-15 20:49

    Ok, just off the night shift and will try to post a picture,,, here goes

  3. #3trackdoc2013-10-15 21:49
  4. #4trackdoc2013-10-15 21:51

    Boy, getting a pic on here is no easy task for the 1st time guy's

  5. #5trackdoc2013-10-15 21:58

    More pics from home

  6. #6trackdoc2013-10-15 22:07

    First bore with the new machine

  7. #7Huntoon2013-10-16 10:51

    Sweet pics. Tell us more about the mine site in Kyrgyzstan. Sounds fascinating. rgds.

  8. #8trackdoc2013-10-16 11:01

    I will upload some pics after the shift from what going on here today. It's a pretty special site lol. We are some 14000 feet above sea level, the second highest mine in the world. We see temps from 7 above to 30 below freezing. We have around 20 D10's T's&R's, 20 graders including a 24M which just got put together this week. Around 150 trucks mostly 789 D's&C's, some 785's. Some 5130 Cats still alive here, 10 ish 9350 Libherrs, 7 or 8 EX3600 Hitachi's. etc etc. So there is action in the pit and shop 24/7

  9. #9RayF2013-10-16 19:48

    What do they do for Line Boring on site? Just the Liebherrs alone would keep a borer flat out

  10. #10trackdoc2013-10-16 20:46

    Hi there I'm a big fan :notworthy Actually the 9350's don't get that many bores done. It's mostly the Cat trucks, everytime we rebuild one there is always boring on the backend . We have a few machines, a large hyd York with a 4"bar, and a hyd B&D pretty much the same as mine (except mine is elec )

  11. #11trackdoc2013-10-16 20:54

    A few pics from the Night shift

  12. #12RayF2013-10-17 05:14

    Your right about the Cat truck rear ends. I have just about made enough out of those to put air in the tyres of my truck The frustrating thing about those bores is that Cat have on a lot of the pins and bores gone away from common sense sizes so its getting harder to work out what sizes to cut.

  13. #13trackdoc2013-10-17 08:01

    I guess the big yellow machines are dropping the quality of stell in the trucks, I can't remember an overhaul when there wasn't bores to be done. Yet the Liebherr machines at overhaul will still take a good tight grip on a new bush. The only time they seem to need bored is when they break, ( usually end off the stick or clam off the busket ) and we need to realign the weld repair. You would be suprised atr how many parts of the 3500 engines are made in China, so who is to say where the frame was made eh ?

  14. #14RayF2013-10-17 10:11

    I used to do a lot of boring on 984,994 and 996 diggers and the bearings were always walking out mainly because they had very little interference.Maybe they have fixed that problem. For a while at least they seemed to have bad castings full of sand. I bored many booms and sticks that had the castings replaced.

  15. #15trackdoc2013-10-17 11:04

    The 9350's here get a lot of lovin Ray, they get checked 6 times in every 24 hour period. If there is a lube problem, they get shut down till it's fixed. I have not seen any bearings slack here, maybe the ambient temperature here has someting to do with it. Our summer here is +5 lol, most of the year we are on the wrong side of the - in the temperature range

  16. #16trackdoc2013-10-17 11:27

    Excuse the spelling and type errors lol. I guess somebody on the other shift as spilt a soft drink on this keyboard. The keys stick, and sometimes when I press a key the one beside it goes down at the same time lol. The best China has to offer !!!!!

  17. #17cps2013-10-17 14:15

    Hi Trackdoc, some interesting pictures there! What do you think of the your own machine! they look a good machine! Where you based at in Ireland,.. im near Dungannon myself! Aiden

  18. #18trackdoc2013-10-17 14:18

    Hi there,it seems to be good machine, a real strong workhorse. Having said that it has only done 3 bores due to the fact that I work overseas

  19. #19trackdoc2013-10-17 14:26

    Should mention we have the same machine at the mine site, only in hydraulic drive. This poor thing has bored and bored, been dropped, been driven over, has bored and bored, you get the idea lol.

  20. #20trackdoc2013-10-17 20:56

    Any welders out there

  21. #21trackdoc2013-10-17 21:02

    A few pics from inside the shop

  22. #22mitch5042013-10-17 22:33

    Boy, it looks like that shop is big enough to have it's own weather!

  23. #23trackdoc2013-10-18 08:18

    As you can see Mitch, there is a constant cloud in the shop !!!!