Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Link Belt 330 Problem

Midwayretriever · 2016-01-03 12:26

2008 330 lx 6200 hrs bought used, run very well until now . started bogging down other day . Will do it with any function, stick in/out, travel ect. Will run down rpm about 500 below whatever rpm you are currently running. machine does not die, but comes back up to operating rpm. Does this in all three manual work modes as well as auto idle mode. at same time this started happening, computer started flashing electrical problem . diagnostic screen showed E0087 and E0488. Its got after market grip on it, w a trigger to idle up, or down > Have had no problems w it working > When problem started, I idled down using trigger like I always do, because I wanted to check the fuel filters. The primary filter looked dirty, so hopped back in cab, use trigger to idle up, and it came back up very slow, and blowing lots of white smoke. Walked it about 200 yards, bogging down to tops of the hill. Pulled primary filter, and was dirty, and looked to have decent amout of water in it. Got new filters in now Cranked up well Ran for about 10 minutes in auto-warmup mode. Diagnostic screen was clear during this time. I didn't clear it manually, because I have no idea how, it did it on its own. As soon as auto-warm up was over, electrical problem came up w alarm. Diagnostic screen now showing E0087 again machine blowing lots white smoke again . But now, the engine wont get above 1100 rpms in any work mode, the idle speed is constant at 895 in all three modes. The only thing I touched was the filters..... Air filter is reasonably new. Motor sounds and feels smoothwhile running Any help is appreciated

Replies15
  1. #1simonsrplant2016-01-03 13:06

    I've not checked tho codes and what they mean, but I can, your 330 should have the Isuzu 6HK if I recall correctly. I would replace the fuel filters, the remove and clean the rail pressure sensor and the fuel pressure regulator on the high pressure pump. Both can "wax" up and cause issues similar to what you describe. They can be cleaned effectively with brake cleaner aerosol. I'll check the codes in a bit and come back to you with more information.

  2. #2Midwayretriever2016-01-03 13:39

    Thank you very much for you help and time. I'm reasonably mechanical, but not a mechanic. If you had a picture of the sensor, or diagram it would help a lot. Cummins motors are only diesels I've ever really worked on. And yes has Isuzu motor. Again thank you for your Tim

  3. #3simonsrplant2016-01-03 14:38

    E0087 is low fuel pressure. E0488 is EGR related. For now I would concentrate on the running fault as the ear issue could be a recorded previous fault. On the basis that it is intermittent, I assume the fuel system is in good order, lift pump, leaks etc. The fuel pressure regulator on the high pressure pump is held on by two allen screws, and draws straight out. no springs or parts to fall out. It looks similar to this. Part numbers are not accurate, I just googled for an image. Remove it and dump a can of aerosol brake clean into the pump and then the regulator. Its likely you won't actually see any dirt, maybe a little waxing or gel. See how you get on.

  4. #4simonsrplant2016-01-03 14:42

    From what you say, throttle response and general performance should improve. I would hope that the code and derate also goes away.

  5. #5simonsrplant2016-01-03 14:45

    Here is the unit on the pump.

  6. #6Midwayretriever2016-01-03 20:00

    Did as you suggested with the brake fluid. Cranked up, large amount of white smoke error code still showing w alarm. let it run for a while, smoke died down alarm stopped, error code cleared itself. proceededto run it for about an hour until dark. It did bog down once, but was only for split second, and rpm drop was about 350 instead of 500 . Ran in all mode and both travel speed with no other troubles. Moving forward am I to assume there is more crud in fuel lines ect? Replace them? blow them out? the rubber looks new compared other hoses on machine . filters appear clean at this point but it was only run for short while? Again thank you for your time and help.

  7. #7Delmer2016-01-03 20:17

    Do you have a drain on the fuel tank? Water separator? Use them daily until there's no water or dirt, then weekly after that.

  8. #8Midwayretriever2016-01-03 20:30

    If there is a drain I couldn't find it . The filters have individual drains, but not on tank. Also one thing I didn't mention previously. While changing filters, I tried to fill them back up using the machines power. Assume there is a lift pump in tank. with only ignition on, the pump wouldn't fill the filters. Had to use the built in manual pump on secondary filter. That worked fine. Could lift pump be weak, and combined w restricted flow in filters/fuel lines be the cause for the error code?Sort of perfect storm of small problems coming together to make bigger one? This is my first machine with electronics so im a bit new to all of this . Last machine was either wide open , or off

  9. #9Delmer2016-01-03 21:58

    How many wires do you have going into the tank? I'd think a lift pump in the tank is unusual on equipment, but I'm not up to date either. For ordinary use, you want to fill the tank at the end of each day, so the moisture in the air doesn't condense inside the tank overnight. BUT, if you know you have water/dirt in the tank, then I run it low and drain the rest out, then start with clean fuel. The "SUCK BUCKET" is the tool to remove the dregs from the bottom of the tank if you don't have a drain. Drain the first filter regularly, especially if it continues to have any visible water or dirt.

  10. #10simonsrplant2016-01-04 01:11

    The lift pump is a solid state unit in the hydraulic pump bay on the machine. On that pump there is a small screen. You will see where the end of the pump screws off. The screen is inside. That should help too. With the ignition on you should hear a ticking sound as the fuel pumps to pressure. It's a low pressure prime. If you remove the filters, from memory the primary is close to the lift pump near the hyd pump... With the fuel tank over half full it should flow out with oittle or no restriction. If it doesn't, remove the fuel cap and blow the lines back.

  11. #11Midwayretriever2016-01-07 07:18

    The machine appears to be back to running as it should . Thankyou very much for your time and help

  12. #12Midwayretriever2019-06-10 11:36

    So haven’t been here in long while. Still have the same machine. Started with the same problems/symptoms recently. Have changed filters, blown lines out ect. Probablem comes and goes at will. Run fine for 4 hrs, then like a dog for 45 minutes. Might be right in startup....No rhyme or reason for it that I can see. Codes showing newest first 0087. 0487. 0488 There was 0090 showing for brief time but magically went away on its own. Every time I changed filters ect, I’ll manually clear codes, will run flawlessly for about 15 min, then back to hit or miss operation. Where should I start trying to diagnose the cause of all this ? Side note , This is used on our place, so it does sit idle sometimes . But vary rare that it goes for more than a couple days without being at least fired up and left running for hour or so. Not sure if this info is relevant or not, but figured it throw it out there . Thanks for any help.

  13. #13Midwayretriever2019-06-10 11:47

    Also like to ask where a guy could get a manual for all part/electrical for the machine. Closest dealer is 130 miles, and they’re not much help.

  14. #14Midwayretriever2019-09-20 08:13

    Figured I’d try here again . Replaced fuel pressure regulator. No change. All fuel lines are clean from tank up to the injection pump. Can anybody tell me if there a way to check injection pump pressure/flow on this machine. Isuzu motor. Linkbelt dealer swore it was bad injectors....but that was an expensive guess. Have very little faith in them at this point. Any help/guidance is much appreciated

  15. #15Midwayretriever2019-09-29 10:09

    Got bored with machine sitting. Unplugged high pressure rail sensor. Machine now cranks and runs fine. Order new sensor thinking this one obviously bad. Same problem with new sensor. Won’t crank or run with it plugged in. Unplug it and it works fine. Any ideas why?