Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Link Belt 4300Q solenoid block issues

Patty_p · 2025-07-10 17:11

Hello. I’ll try to keep this short, but at the same time giving as much info as possible. Bought this 95 LBX 4300Q at auction last December. Runs great and seems to operate ok-ish. But…..someone went to town on the wiring. It’s a mess! It would appear the LCD monitor went bad, and they started bypassing everything. I have installed mechanical gauges for temp, alt, fuel, oil press. Also added a small linear motor and rocker switch for the throttle. No problems with any of this. The buttons on the left and right of the seat for swing break, free swing, cushion, etc do NOT work. Most of them beep, but do nothing. On the solenoid block, the only solenoid hooked up is the Live/Dead. After looking at wiring diagram and following wires on the machine, I realized this is for the safety switch you’re supposed to throw once you’re in the seat. They have jumped/bypassed this switch. Which allows 24V to the Live/Dead solenoid. While checking voltage, the wire crimps came apart for Live/Dead. Didn’t think this was a big deal. However, when I go to put the wires back together, they arc and start to melt. With the Live/Dead unhooked, everything still works the same except for swing brake. It works when swinging CCW but does nothing when swinging CW. Previously swing brake worked fine both ways. The reason I was messing with the solenoid block in the first place is because I had planned to add toggle switches in order to use Heavy Lift and Travel Speed. The three speed travel switch on the floor doesn’t work. **What would cause the wire to arc and melt when it didn’t before? It’s like it has a short to ground. But when I bypass the harness and run 24V straight to the solenoid it still arcs/melts. **Secondly, why does the machine still work with the safety switch unhooked? It would be nice to be able to turn the controls off. Thanks!

Replies1
  1. #1Patty_p2025-07-10 21:21

    Little bit of an update. I checked the ohm’s on all 8 solenoids. All read roughly 45 ohm except the swing brake and the live/dead read zero. Managed to find 2 and only 2 on ebay for $50ea. Other sites want $275ea. If I can get the allen screws out of a good solenoid, I’ll put it in the swing brake spot and see if that fixes my CW no brake issue.