Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Link Belt LS2800cII electrical problem

tdcarns ยท 2015-12-15 12:21

I'm new to this forum guys and any info or help is greatly appreciated. I have nice older excavator that up until recently would intermittently not have any pilot controls function. It would occasionally happen after an engine restart. I could shut it off and fire it right back up and the pilot controls would work again. Last week the problem grew worse and after lots of time messing with the key switch or armrest safety or rocker switches???? it would start working again, but never really presented the actual cause. I would simply leave it run all day and hope that the next day we could get it to start working again. Now I'm at my wits end, not being able to get it to work and not really able to trace down a safety switch or relay or solenoid in any of the manuals. Any ideas on things to check or bypass would be great. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1wrc2015-12-15 13:31

    behind the operators seat in the relay box. I don't Remer the exact relay however I had the exact same problem. one of the relays on the piolt controls lock out intermittently quit working. 43 dollars and the right relay later problem solved.

  2. #2tdcarns2015-12-15 18:15

    Thanks wrc. I'll look for that tomorrow. I accidentally shorted across contacts on the ignition switch today and can't track down the burned wire or blown fuse or tripped breaker now. I've had a frustrating day and hope tomorrow goes better. If i can get power back to the switch I should be able to check those relays.

  3. #3Shimmy12015-12-15 19:25

    You may have a more serious problem than a breaker or wire.

  4. #4wrc2015-12-17 21:56

    any luck getting the machine back running tdcams?

  5. #5RonG2015-12-18 03:12

    I used to run a 2800 with similar problems and the electronics box was on the lower right wall of the operators compartment.I used to take the box home at night and resolder the output transistors to the chassis,it will be pretty obvious what needs to be soldered but the vibration over the years opens up the emitter (case) lead which is ground in the circuit and causes the problems.I only had to do it once but it was still trouble free when I left.It is really a simple job,the wiring was all plug and socket,no SMD either back in those days.Ron G