Not sure what you might call them, but looking at a couple pieces of equipment that are not local and I cannot rely on the seller to give an accurate representation. I could get in a rental car but it would sure be easier to just get an experienced eye on it and relay some info. I know these guys are out there and several auction houses have these reps. However, I do have a little concern (maybe not warranted) about snaky people trying to sham a potential purchase. I could see the wrong guy giving a bad report, and then buying the equipment out from under me, but maybe that is not as likely as I might think.
It's kind of odd but there is no real designation for it and I don't know anyone that makes enough money off of it to make a living doing it. You have a lot of people that call themselves appraisers that generally want to sit at a desk and tell you what something is worth. Few if any actually put knowledgable eyes on a piece of iron and know what they are looking for. I don't trust any auction house rep. Most have to follow a multiple page form because they don't know what to look for. The forms are usually packed full of crap that don't make any difference and try to avoid legal responsibilities. With the pandemic I have been calling up the dealers for the type of iron I want looked at and having a field wrench fill out my inspection sheet and take a bunch of photos of things I specify. It isn't perfect and it is expensive but cheaper than me flying out to look at something. I have clients that will want me to fly all over the country to look at stuff but don't wish that I catch some funky bug and bring it home. I had a Cat dealer inspect a sawmill for me in the early summer. It worked out fine as far as I know. I have been thinking about putting together a program to train inspectors and part of that is the video programs I've produced. The hard part of that is the paper work and photography that needs to done to make a presentable report product. It's not easy to move a good mechanic down a parallel road requiring skills that need clean hands and an easy manner to gather information.
I know what you are saying John! I've seen it all...... Fresh pressure washing to mask active leaks, water contaminated oils, obvious performance issues, and the list continues. I also know what you are saying about mechanics, and at least in my experience, they are not created equal. Some are parts changers that go through their list in the books, and some that have real skills. Obviously very handy to 'really' know the piece of equipment being inspected. I know I snagged a forklift some time back, and got pretty funny as the high end dealer rep was very helpful in getting me some info I really needed for diagnoses, but I further found the actual smoking gun and when I detailed exactly what happened, in which their tech built the engine wrong, I got a rather immediate contact from him as well as a "lunch invite".....lol He was rather impressed how I put the chain of events together and solved the riddle, and he had some ass chewing to do. On your other comment, I may be open to inspections in my area for customers. I know I have thought about it, but I agree, not sure there is really a full time living there. I just like to get people informed and I am already commonly requested to inspect equipment for others as a favor.
I don't find any particular faults in mechanics. It's just that most of the really good ones like to fix things they see and aren't particularly specific at writing things. Some of the lazy ones make great inspectors because it's easier to write than to have to fix something. The hardest part is finding people that have a good mix of knowing how something is supposed to work and what is actually a problem and what is normal. I think it would be a great thing is we could get a list of names and contacts who could and would do equipment inspections. While most can't make a living at it, most would see it as a great addition to the other stuff we do. I do have a universal inspection form I use and would gladly send to anyone if they are interested. My inspections include lots of photos, a type written inspection report and oil samples for an extra cost. PM me if you have any questions or comments.
Well just as a reference John, I have built performance engines for 25yrs, Operating heavy equipment for 20yrs, mechanical engineer, CNC machine shop owner, and I can clean up for board meetings and fit right it. I am used to talking to the highest brass and people usually like my approach because I just get down to business and numbers. I do agree that videos and pics are paramount though I have owned show vehicles and when I say "mint", that does mean showroom. I recently went to hopefully buy a mower 2hrs away, took trailer, then was beyond pissed that the guy misrepresented it. No sweat off his ass! I lost a day and $100. He really thought me showing with a trailer meant a certain sale. I then went down the list of **** I saw and he was like "well I have 3 other guys".....lol It is still for sale. I cannot help that I know what I am looking for when I pull the dipstick and you don't even know how to change oil......
I'll hire you when I need an inspection done.