Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Liquid Earth

TomG ยท 2011-05-06 23:00

What we are doing is taking down the mound to level out the back yard (hard to see in the first picture) and to do this we have to demo the sides of the old pool down about 2.5' Who ever originally demoed the pool did a horrible job, the old cement walls were only 2" below the grass, and they didn't punch holes in the bottom of the pool, thus creating the "liquid earth".:Banghead What this is, is someone filled in an old in ground swimming pool with clay and didn't punch a hole in the bottom to let any surface or rain water escape, so over time the clay became extremely saturated. When I drove the mini excavator over it the clay began to "pump" or liquify and this is what happened. I have seen soil liquefaction before but never to this extreme. The homeowner said the pool was filled in 10 years ago so you can imagine how much water is trapped. This is one of the coolest things I have ever seen on a job. The dirt was literally moving in waves as you can see! Also you got to love the commentary from my employee who was filming. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zGsujlR4fY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6W2aP2dkA

Replies5
  1. #1mitch5042011-05-07 00:37

    Wow, I've seen similar rebuilding roads in swamps, but it's a shame we can't come up with a word more extreme than extreme to describe that!

  2. #2cutting edge2011-05-07 00:59

    Freaky.... BTW....please buy a grease gun.

  3. #3TomG2011-05-07 09:51

    Haha, its actually the cylinder guard on the boom cylinder, the boss man some how bent it a little and I haven't had time to fix it. Its annoying as heck when running the machine.

  4. #4CM19952011-05-07 10:56

    Tom that's a good video to show a potential customer that wants a pool filled in the reasons why you need to punch out the bottom. Although I would probably just show the video - minus the audio.:cool2

  5. #5TomG2011-05-07 11:09

    haha, agreed