Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Little ‘Lost’ Allis.

Deas Plant ยท 2008-01-01 02:01

Hi, Folks. A friend, Dozerman, and I went wandering around the backblocks today and found this little 'lost' Allis, an HD6 dozer, with a canopy and tree pusher bar. It appears to have a few issues but is not unsalvageable. We don't know if it is for sale or removal or what, or if the engine turns, but we do plan on finding out all those things and possibly 'rescuing' the little jigger if it is available. More photos to come.

Replies21
  1. #1Deas Plant2008-01-01 02:06

    Little 'Lost' Allis_2 More photos of the Little 'Lost' Allis. I think I'd like to get my grubby little mitts on this jigger and give it a bit of a tidy up, if it is available.

  2. #2egoman2008-01-01 13:51

    Seven or eight hours with the blue wrench and this will look like a good find. Hope you find the owner or the person who wants it removed. Good luck:drinkup :drinkup

  3. #3bobcat ron2008-01-01 17:14

    I wonder what the KoO would say about that?

  4. #4digger242j2008-01-01 17:59

    Deas, I noticed that in the pics of this machine, and the other one that you posted, the top of the ROPS structures are rounded, rather than squared off and flat-topped. Is that so that when you roll them over you can just keep on rolling til they're on their feet again?

  5. #5Deas Plant2008-01-04 20:12

    Round Top Hi, Digger242j. No Digger, I think it's more like submarine technology where they found that a cylinder was the shape most able to resist extreme pressures at depths. Only trouble is, I haven't seen too many litttle AC HD6's working underwater. Seriously, the round top sheds branches and falling trees easier and provides more protection from side-swiping branches, etc.. Bobcat Ron, PLEASE keep it quiet. I'm hoping to be able to stitch this up before KoO finds out, other wise I might lose it. Egoman, what makes you think it would take 7 or 8 hours? On the other hand, if I get it, I may just decide to keep that canopy as a grand example of retro engineering and innovation. The blade ditto. LOL.

  6. #6bobcat ron2008-01-04 20:20

    KoO can have the TD-4 my dad is picking up for scrap next week LOL. Much cheaper postage rates!!!!!

  7. #7Deas Plant2008-01-04 20:30

    Td4?????????????? Hi, Bobcat Ron. I know DownUnder is an under-priveleged part of the world but I have never heard of a TD4. Photos, please, even if of a pile of scrap, at least for posterity.

  8. #8bobcat ron2008-01-04 20:39

    That's what my dad said, I asked him what color it was, "red", so it's an IH, "yuppers", I asked did you see a number like TD 6,9 (I was hoping it would be the 18, lots of them here), or something, he said "I think I saw a 4 on it somewhere" He's not good with IH dozers and this thing has been buried in the bush for 30 odd years now, so I'll have to see it before he lifts it out with the PC-60 hoe, he figures it can't weigh much more than 3 tons at the most.

  9. #9Deas Plant2008-01-04 20:53

    Td4????????????? Hi, Bobcat Ron. It may be that he is mistaking Persian Orange for red and the little jigger may be an AC H4. I'd be interested to know if you can get to it before he does. You may need to take the PC60 in there yourself and clear around it for some decent photos and ID. Who knows, it may even be worth salvaging, although after 30-odd yeears in the bush, I suspect that some parts of it may have 'melted' away and others become 'frozen' in time.

  10. #10dieseldave2008-01-04 22:06

    IH made a T4 and a TD5, looks like they were stictly ag tractors.

  11. #11bobcat ron2008-01-05 19:11

    A hand full of old timers used the "tracked tractors" back in those days out here after the lake was drained to make farm land, I've seen 3 John Deeres, one of them is down the road from me and still fully functional and I've only seen 1 Cat D-2, also in the 'hood, but this one is the same as the one an Uncle of my Dad's has, I have seen his in person and it looks exactly like Diesel Dave's photo.

  12. #12danhoe2008-01-05 19:46

    My Grandpa & Dad had a HD 11, serial # 64. The rops was 4 - 2" pipes that went into 4 sleeves and they were welded to the machine, the top was a piece of sheet metal, the thing made more noise than the dozer did. Back to the HD 6, there is one of them for sale about 2 miles from me, this thing spent it days in a factory as a tug, very low hours & the undercarriage is like brand new, let me know if you need some info on it, I can arrange shipment to you. Danhoe

  13. #13Deas Plant2008-01-05 20:27

    Thanks for the offer. Hi, Danhoe. Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the information and shipping offer on that HD6 but I think the cost of the shipping would be a trifle steep for the value of the tractor. You see, I live in Queensland, Australia. Thanks again for the offer. Many of the board members here, me included, would appreciate photos of the little jigger if you can get them. And who knows, somebody from the board over your way may even want it.

  14. #14danhoe2008-01-05 20:48

    In a few weeks, I am sending literally a boat load of equipment to Angola, so that is part of the way, I am getting into export business of heavy equipment. My first shipment Angola, Africa and getting ready to ship 2 D9's, 2 D8's, 1 345, 1 330 & a 140 to the mid east. I will post some pictures on Monday for you guys down under. Have a good one Danhoe

  15. #15Countryboy2008-01-07 20:16

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums danhoe! :drinkup

  16. #16gillettekids2008-01-07 20:25

    dozer -jigger good luck with that as it has some potential as a good father sons project

  17. #17danhoe2008-01-07 20:32

    Thanks countryboy, I am drinking a cold :drinkup " Redbridge ", that is a gluten free beer. I waited about 12 years for a beer. I have been visting this site for a while,just do alot of reading here. Thanks again, danhoe

  18. #18Deas Plant2008-01-08 05:03

    Little 'Lost' Allis Update. Hi, Folks. Last Saturday, I managed to contact the owner of the Little 'Lost' Allis. I enquired whether the little jigger was for sale. He said it was so I asked how much. He replied that it owed him $5,000 so that's what he wants for it. He added that it has a rake and rear-mounted ripper to go with it. He also admitted that it may need a head gasket. I would guess that it was towed to where it now stands 'cos there is a tow chain still on the front pull hook, pinched tight under the blade and laying on the ground out front. That 'may' starts to sound like a 'will'. Or it may be that there were no batteries in it when they wanted to move it and it was simply easier to tow it than to start it. I faintly suspect that the little jigger will be there a while yet. I'd go to possibly $2,000 if he proved that it runs, drives and steers. If it doesn't do all of the above, maybe $1,000, max. $1,500. If it was in good condition, it MIGHT be a $5,000 tractor. It is not in good condition.

  19. #19Jeff D.2008-01-08 22:42

    Deas, I know you've operated dozers forever, but I don't know if you own any machinery? If not, and if you're like me and like to tinker, I think finding a machine to fix up/rebuild is an excellent idea. Maybe it's not that particular lil' dozer, this time, but I'm sure somewhere there is one that needs a good home, and my experience is some of my happiest times have been bringing a piece of machinery back to life. I also think an Allis Chalmers is an excellent choice. FWIW, here in Mn., I'de found an old Allis hd7, with 2cycle detroit, running and operational, but needing alot of TLC, for $2000. Keep on looking, and I hope you'll find one to call your own. I really believe it could bring you some happiness too, whether you make money with it or not.

  20. #20Deas Plant2008-01-09 05:42

    Finding a machine. Hi, JeffD. I don't own any machines and never have except for a truck that I once set up as a water cart, now long gone. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a reasonable 'project' machine to restore and show, maybe do an odd small job here and there but $5.000 for that little jigger is a tad too much. At best it would be $5,000 machine - IF it was in good nick, and it ain't. If he'll come down to my figures, I may get it but I'm not paying his price, even with the rake and ripper. I haven't seen many people make any money out of restored machines. Like you, I don't mind a bit of tinkering and I've thought for a while that a small AC machine would be a good choice 'cos there aren't a lot of them still around DownUnder, at least not close to where I live. There are probably a few more further out into the rural areas. I'll keep looking. Are you going to take the HD7 on?

  21. #21Jeff D.2008-01-09 19:42

    No, I checked it all out, but decided to pass on that particular dozer and settled instead on the JD350 I bought. Had they been in similair shape I would've taken the AC instead, but the JD was in better mechanical shape.