Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Little mechanical knowledge, advice needed on 2011 Int 4300M truck and engine

Dino2015 ยท 2016-03-04 21:14

Thanks in advance for any advice. It has a Maxxforce 7 V8 200 HP engine. The repair shop has told me that they've fired it up, but the engine has a shot bearing. Toast in other words. I paid $5,500 for the truck and don't know if I should sell it as is, or try to put a used engine in it. Keyless Entry System Remote W/panic, Incl 1 Key Fob International Am/fm Stereo W/ Cd Player Cab Conventional, Steel Window, Power (2) And Power Door Locks Air Conditioner Steering Column Tilting 245/70r19.5 G647 Rss Goodyear 14ply Frt Tires 245/70r19.5 G622 Rsd Goodyear 14ply R Tires Meritor Mfs-08-153b I-beam Type 8000 Lb Capacity Front Axle 4.33 R Axle Ratio Meritor Ms-17-14x-3dfl Single Rear Axle Brake System, Hydraulic Engine Block Htr International Maxxforce 7 V8, 6.4l Diesel 200hp Allison 2200_rds_p 5spd O/d Exhaust System Sgl, Horizontal Aft Device, Fm Mtd, Rh, B/c Emmision Compliance 5 Min Engine Shutdown Gold (prem) Is this truck worth saving with a good used engine with the idea of offloading it, or should I just auction it off and move on?

Replies8
  1. #1Jonas3022016-03-04 21:38

    The only way to know is to price out an engine and labor against the value of the truck

  2. #2simonsrplant2016-03-05 00:54

    5k even with a toasted engine is good money. You could fix with minimal expense and move it on, maximizing profit. Fix properly and employ the tool, or move it on as parts or stationary a stake a kicking with the price. I know what I would do...

  3. #3Dino20152016-03-05 08:13

    What would you do? Repair and sell or just sell as parts. With a shot bearing, would you remove the current engine and get it rebuilt? Or does a shot bearing require scrapping the engine and finding a replacement.

  4. #4Delmer2016-03-05 09:43

    So you bought this to resell? or use? Do you need that body? and what is that body? Schwann's or tool boxes? If you wouldn't be doing any of the work, just send it along to somebody who wants the truck. No point in paying retail to sell wholesale.

  5. #5CM19952016-03-05 10:24

    If you bought it to use then I'd repair it. If you bought it to sell, send it to the auction like Delmer said.

  6. #6msllc2016-03-09 03:56

    Which bearing is bad? If it is a rod bearing, I think I would remove the engine, recondition the crank & replace all gaskets, & seals. Put her all back together & sell it for around $20k. Its a lot of work, & it is a lot of money, too.

  7. #7Dino20152016-03-09 09:10

    Thanks for the replies. I'm having trouble getting answers from the mechanics shop. It was the front desk girl who called and said "the" bearing is gone and I asked her the approximate costs of repair but nobody has got back to me. Time to phone again. My inclination is that if the repair is under $8,000, to remove the body, sell the body at auction and list the cab and chassis in that $20,000 range.

  8. #8simonsrplant2016-03-09 10:26

    I fear a second opinion is in order, maybe ask for a written report too. The more information a person has, the better educated they can be in considering factors of a repair.