Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Little movement, in and out on all 4 outriggers, AP 308 Grove Deck Top Crane

KTaylor01 ยท 2015-08-17 18:17

Need a little help, We picked this piece of equipment up from a Military Base, everything worked except the outriggers. We ( my students and I ) completed service and made a lot of repairs, the outrigger solenoids show 6.7 ohms resistance, the electrical circuit checks out fine. The hoses flex, when using the control lever to extend and retract, but they won't come out of column very much, retract and the come back in, movement... about 3/16 of a inch. ( 257 hours showing on meter) 1997 model Thank You for your Help in advance! Keith Taylor HEMEC Instructor.

Replies28
  1. #1Knepptune2015-08-17 20:25

    I don't know if these are set up the same at the grove rts but the o/r's work off of returns. Basically everything gets pressure then the solenoids open a return line determining which o/r moves. That being said change your hydraulic filter. I have had a few calls on o/r's that just moved a little bit then stopped that all I had to do was change the hydraulic filter and they worked fine.

  2. #2KTaylor012015-08-18 05:20

    Outriggers I've already replaced the Hyd Filter, it was okay, but changed all the filters, just got it and getting it started, fresh on services.

  3. #3ben46a2015-08-18 17:36

    I'm not trying to be ignorant... but are you sure there isn't a mechanical lock of some sort, or a locking switch for the outriggers that has to be operated at the same time? I have 0 crane experience so I may be wayyyy out in left field.

  4. #4lantraxco2015-08-18 18:32

    Might help: http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-10-3950-672-10.pdf

  5. #5KTaylor012015-08-20 05:31

    I tried it lantraxco and it still doesn't work.

  6. #6lantraxco2015-08-20 11:12

    And all four of them are stuck? Weird.

  7. #7ben46a2015-08-20 12:50

    would there be a pilot operated lock valve that is sticking maybe?

  8. #8KTaylor012015-08-20 17:49

    ben46a, that may be an issue, when operated in or out, doesn't the hose from front and back bleed off pressure to Hyd tank? I'm just learning about Hyd systems, I've been automotive most of my life, from 10 years old until the age of 48, then went into Construction Heavy Equipment in 2008

  9. #9KTaylor012015-08-20 17:52

    lantraxco, yes it's very weird and they only move out...maybe 1/2 inch, they go out... 3/8 to 1/2 inch slower than when you retract, it moves in faster, but just a little, this Surplus Army equipment and it only has 250 miles on it and a 97 model???

  10. #10old-iron-habit2015-08-20 20:42

    Original comment removed. I was trying to figure out if you were talking out or down but after further review it looks like they only go straight down on that carry deck. Does the engine load up at all when they stop after the 1/2 inch?

  11. #11oldtanker2015-08-20 22:54

    Lot of old surplus military equipment may low hours/miles, even if deployed. May have been assigned to a base "DEH" (department of engineering and housing). Even if assigned to an engineer company cranes just don't get used that much unless you are doing river crossing operations. I knew a couple of engineers while I was active duty (74-96, Armor). They were always complaining that they never got to do their jobs because civilians did all the work in garrison. Even in the field most of their equipment work was digging and filling in anti tank ditches. In my time in I saw them do 2 Rhine river pontoon bridge operations and one operation here in the States. Other than that when are they going to use a crane? It would be very possible for a Crane to sit in a motor pool it's entire life, stated once a week for less than an hour to do maintenance and once every so often for load testing. Now the engineers in Germany did a huge construction project in the early 80's rebuilding the ranges in Graffenvier (Spell??) where we shot tank gunnery. That was a several year project and huge. But here in the states most engineer units were lucky to get to plow snow in a bad storm. Rick

  12. #12lantraxco2015-08-20 23:19

    Old-iron, looked to me like they slide in and out in a tube, but at about a 45 angle to each side? Could be the lock valves, but all four? I've run into some rigs that had ball valves to lock the outriggers, but they sure weren't standard on this unit. Dunno?

  13. #13KTaylor012015-08-21 05:27

    Old-Iron-Habit!! Yes the engine loads up!

  14. #14old-iron-habit2015-08-21 07:54

    So it sounds like you are getting pressure to the system, either against a closed valve or they are stuck as can be. Sure sounds like some kind of a positive or shipping lock is engaged allowing them to move a little bit. Is there rust in the tubes that could be jamming up.

  15. #15KTaylor012015-08-21 22:12

    I see some rust on the outside of the Tubes, pulled down with pry bar, as I had a student, press lever in the out position, moved some more, but that's it?, there has to be a blockage or a stuck valve.

  16. #16lantraxco2015-08-22 01:00

    http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-10-3950-672-24P.pdf Look for a manual selector valve with six ports, apparently it's an option so you can shift the selector and then use the outrigger control valve to control some other function. Will probably have a short lever on it, or just a large knob on the end of the two position spool. If it has one of these valves, it's probably in the wrong position. Will be in the lines between the outrigger spool and the solenoid block. Probably in the cab somewhere, but maybe not. May have the extra two ports just plugged. Pictures?

  17. #17lantraxco2015-08-22 01:20

    http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-10-3950-672-24-1.pdf

  18. #18lantraxco2015-08-22 01:33

    http://www.braggcrane.com/pdf_files/ap308_NA_Brochure.PDF

  19. #19lantraxco2015-08-22 01:48

    Does it by chance have a winch on the front, between the headlights?

  20. #20KTaylor012015-08-22 06:54

    No winch, between the headlights, just on the Boom!

  21. #21old-iron-habit2015-08-22 21:00

    If they pulled down a bit more than it moved before I suspect rust in the tube that is bunching up. Rust is powerful. We drag old Cats around quite often that the tracks themselves are rusted solid. Hard to believe it would move more when prying on it if it had a lock on but who knows>

  22. #22FSERVICE2015-08-23 22:35

    im going to make a suggestion... find the operators manual & READ IT!!! before someone gets hurt or you blow a hose..

  23. #23lantraxco2015-08-23 23:35

    Fservice, I agree, but I posted the only page in the manual referring to the outriggers and it's bone simple, move the lever, push the switch, boom. Also posted the links to three manuals I could find free online.

  24. #24KTaylor012015-08-24 05:25

    I've read the manual and operated the outriggers as it is written. FSERVICE

  25. #25lantraxco2015-08-24 13:15

    KTaylor01, have you had a look round for a selector valve, or do the outrigger lines run direct from the spool valve to the solenoid valve?

  26. #26KTaylor012015-08-24 17:23

    lantraxco I removed one outrigger to see if they're rusted or the cylinders seized, it all is good. The control assy in the cab, diverts fluid from there to a set of 4 solenoids in the battery box, I'll look for the return lines going to a solenoid, before going back to the Tank, in the morning.

  27. #27lantraxco2015-08-24 17:57

    Your solenoid manifold should have two control lines coming in, and eight cylinder lines going out, two for each outrigger? What I saw as an option would be in the two lines from the manual spool valve section to the right of the steering wheel and the solenoid manifold, it showed as a manual six port diverter valve. If it has one it could also be a solenoid. Your machine may not have it but it sure seems like the only thing that would cause the symptoms you describe. Here's another silly question: Any quick couplers anywhere on the machine like you would hook up some auxiliary tool or device to?

  28. #28clue dog2015-09-24 01:30

    it sound like you have locking pins installed, if they are installed the beams or jacks will move just a bit that's all