Well gents I got on with a local Utility and Excavation company as an Intern (With a little help from the High School Work Based Learning class) its not a very big company but the owner seems nice enough. Infact he was the only one I asked out of like 23 companys that said "Sure sounds fun." I start tomorrow, and with any luck I can turn this into a career and get the hell out of Wal-Mart. Does anyone have any advice for me? I am a little intimidated so advice would be nice. Thanks
1 - ask questions, there are no dumb questions - only dumb answers 2 - show up early and stay late to clean tracks or sweep up 3 - take advice is a positive way 4 - don't flap your lips especially if you have no idea on what is going on 5 - be assertive and positive 6 - dissregard negative comments 7 - if you feal uncomfortable doing something, don't do it 8 - if you swear, smoke or drink - you just gained brownie points Good luck brother don't forget hard hat, saftey boots and good clothing
My 2 Cents 1) If someone takes the time to show you something give them your full attention and try your best to learn THE FIRST TIME And thank them when they are done. It doesn't matter if it's your boss or a co-worker a half a rung UNDER you. 2) Try harder to impress your co-workers than your boss. 3) Don't "Wake up in a New World Everyday". If you learn something today REMEMBER IT you will be doing it in the future. There's nothing worse than having to show someone how to do the SAME job everyday. 4) Take better care of the company's money and equipment than you would your own. 5) Remember that you can't pick and chose when you are going to be responsible unless you want to be on a shovel the rest of your life. Show people you are someone they can depend on. 6) Don't let you mouth write a check that your azz can't cash Good Luck, Roddyo:usa
intern It's been... 4 years... maybe since I did my summer internship.:usa It can be very good for you especially if your employment background is anything but construction, like mine was. Sure you may not get the glamorus jobs, but you get experience, which is the #1 thing. The other guys are giving great information, don't be afraid to ask questions, watch and listen to what is going on around you. Don't do anything you don't feel safe doing. You should be fine, feeling nervous is a good thing. Good luck:drinkup:drinkup
Nice good advice guys keep it coming, I will post again tomorrow and let everyone know how it went and maybe I will post some pictures.
just keep your eyes open and your mouth closed. good luck.
Quote from NASCAR great Richard Petty "I learned quickly that the good lord gave me two ears and only one mouth for good reason, listen twice as much as you talk." Another suggestion I picked up from the book "Lone Survivor", If a suggestion is made you had better dam well do it. (ie, "If you want it is just fine to take notes of the session(meaning, YOU HAD BETTER HAVE A NOTEPAD). Good Luck Trbo
Cabbage, you seem like you are willing to work, and willing to learn, those are the big prerequisites to learning any career . Stay alert and I am sure you will do fine.
Well today was my first day...and it was weird to say the least. I got there and the owner and myself drove around in his truck all day, and just talked about general industry stuff, about my education, ect. I recived a change to operate one of his excavators but as he was unlocking the door we got a call and had to go and save one of his truck drivers that broke down.....so yah weird day, but I did learn alot so I am looking forward to tomorrow.
Second Day even better! They wasted no time throwing me on a skid steer then a loader, I was a little shocked, here are the pics of the machines. I like the loader better it wasnt as painful on my azz as much, but all and all great day.
Good to see they put you on some iron, keep the pics coming, and keep us updated on the job!
Looks Good Nice looking equipment. I'm happy for you.