Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Loaders, Limbers and Roadbuilders.

csquared · 2011-02-05 17:32

We seem to have a thread for everything else, might as well combined all makes of forestry excavators, road builders, processors and loaders to one thread.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies1,325
  1. #1csquared2011-02-05 17:40

    2001 Hyundai 210LC-3 high walker road builder summer 2008 2004 Deere 2054, painted green. loading a beast grinder, spring 2009

  2. #2csquared2011-02-05 17:42

    more pics to come.. why wont the attachement thing work?

  3. #3dblott2011-02-27 11:53

    bunching r/w for decking

  4. #4dblott2011-02-27 12:00

    same thing, 3 weeks ago. (Haven't figured out how to do multiples yet). These are from camera phone.Sorry about the quality.

  5. #5dblott2011-03-05 16:47

    Apparently I need to study the picture posting techniques also, as clicking won't make these thumbnails bigger.These are the first pics I've posted anywhere.

  6. #6spitzair2011-03-06 00:11

    Here's my EX200-2 Roadbuilder I bought from Skadill! I love this thing!

  7. #7skadill2011-03-06 00:35

    This was it working before its computer annurism,and the last send off

  8. #8dblott2011-03-19 18:06

    Rip rap repair of road failure week ago Thursday.

  9. #9KW850&T800H2011-03-20 11:26

    I remember seeing the video on YouTube of him sending it away, he was real sad to see his favorite machine go. But your happy so good purchase.

  10. #10KW850&T800H2011-03-20 11:30

    And can we post some buncher pictures? I have a couple of those.

  11. #11cutting edge2011-03-20 11:57
  12. #12dblott2011-03-20 12:26

    I'd cast a yes vote on the feller bunchers. Our company had two at one time. Each of us roadbuilders would cut his own r/w. A Timberjack 2520 engine down with a shear head, and a 229 Cat front shovel with a rotosaw head. We used them until they wore out. The boss wanted to buy a newer machine with a hotsaw, but with jobs becomung more seasonal, couldn't justify it without hiring a fulltime operator to keep the machine running everyday vs a couple of months of work and sit the rest of the year. Too many local feller bunchers to compete for cutting units. We owned our own pits, so if we weren't building road, we didn't have a place to haul our rock. I used a real camera with the last 2 pics. They were clear when I downloaded them on the computer, and when I downsized them before I attached them. Why do they look grainy now?

  13. #13KW850&T800H2011-03-21 00:14

    Well I'm using iPhoto, so I don't know if I can upload them all. I'll have to somehow resize them. I wouldnt have a clue why, some thing in the upload process. I'll see what I can do.

  14. #14trakloader2011-03-21 23:37

    Typical West coast road builder..... Haha! It's still a backhoe, but it's undergoing conversion to a log loader. Eventually, it may go on the "Straits Waterskidder"

  15. #15KW850&T800H2011-03-22 00:04

    Wow, what a machine, what do they have to change and add to make it a log loader? I know guarding grapple, what else? And keep us posted on the progress.

  16. #16John C.2011-03-23 21:30

    Paul Bunyan passed on years ago. Just where are you going to find sticks big enough to justify converting that into a log loader?

  17. #17dblott2011-03-26 02:19

    Maybe the main reason they need that big machine is for it’s excavator capabilities (and it’s paid for?). The log loader may be a secondary use. If they keep the exc. front, all they need is a heeling rack and grapples, and the plumbing for open/close and r/l rotate. (quick-disconnect couplers would be a plus). I don’t see a thumb, but I think I see enough lines going up the boom. Also a hydraulic quick change would be good, as trying to drive those pins would be a pain.:Banghead This is how my 325B is set up. I have the 2 bolt, wedge style quick change. The two bolts are the slowest part of changing over. 15 minutes is all it takes me to change back and forth between fully functional excavator (bucket and thumb), to fully functional live heel and grapple.

  18. #18trakloader2011-03-26 03:03

    They wanted a machine with more reach, for loading from the deck of their log barge. They got a good deal on that huge backhoe, and got as far as putting the cab riser and guarding on. I think they were just going to use the dangling grapple, no heel. The project isn't top priority now, though, since the barge needs some work before it can support that machine.

  19. #19dblott2011-04-02 04:15

    Thanks for the comeback trakloader! Are they going to add some hinged plate panels on the lower sections of the uprights to further protect the tinware? I do have some more questions, if you don't mind, regarding the barge and loading/offloading. Will the shovel ship with the barge or stay on the loading end? Will it unload trucks, be serviced by a wheel loader or just load out of a cold deck then deck on the barge? Or will it retreive the logs from the water? Excavator front might allow this. Will lose a little in stacking height though. I don't mean to sound like a smartass, I'm curious. I've never paid any attention to the loading/unloading of the log barges in our area. I think they use cranes down here. Out of sight, out of mind. Am I correct in assuming that whatever they "dangle" the grapples from will involve cutting the ears off the bucket to keep the pin and link relationships the same, and welding them to some sort of box (or heel) to pin the grapple to? Or simply bore a hole in the adaptor plate to hang the grapple from? After all the work they did with riser and guarding, I'm thinking they will go with a heel rack and gain more reach and versatility.

  20. #20trakloader2011-04-02 14:44

    Not sure how they'll mount the grapple, but a heel wouldn't be necessary. The machine sits on the barge deck and stacks the bundles in front of it, so something like a big butt & top grapple might be in order. The machine stays on the barge and unloads it when it gets to where it's going. The barge used to be a self dumper, but I guess you wouldn't want to tip it with the loader on the deck! You can see pics of it in the old iron thread.

  21. #21skadill2011-04-02 22:43

    3800B Madill,taken last week

  22. #22KW850&T800H2011-04-03 00:31

    Hey Todd, thanks for the YouTube video and what's the difference between the Madill 3800B and the 3800C? Model year?

  23. #23Contract Logger2011-04-03 02:29

    The differences between the 3800B and 3800C were drastic. Power: The B used the old Cummins 6CT8.3- hard on fuel, noisy, unreliable and weak on horsepower at 235 HP. The 3800C used the Detroit 60 Series 11 Litre which was an awesome engine- lasted forever in these shovels, quiet, efficient, and a HUGE jump to 325 HP standard. Flow: The C went to the new Rexroth pump and valves and was a huge improvment over the B. The B only produced 145 GPM and the C jumped it up to 204 GPM. Swing : B used smaller twin L&S and produced 85,000 ft. lbs of swing torque, whereas the 3800C used larger twins and produced 108,000 ft. lbs- giant jump. Reach: B offered 41' Boom, C offered 44' boom. Cab: Big differences in the cab design and visibility was greatly improved in the C. The machines were completely different with the exception of the D7 size undercarriage, even drive final and motor specs were different. Anyone who shovel logs realizes that there's no substitute for Horsepower, Flow, and Swing Torque. The C was awesome and will be a hot seller again in 2011. A few Madill shovel pics- havent loaded too many yet. There will be hundreds eventually: http://www.pbase.com/rustygrapple/madill_loaders_bunchers

  24. #24KW850&T800H2011-04-03 11:13

    Thank you so much, great information. There was a huge improvement then. I'm jere to learn,and I just learnt a lot

  25. #25KW850&T800H2011-04-03 12:43

    I was at the local dealer the other day and snapped these pics:

  26. #26skadill2011-04-03 12:43

    question? CL,great 3800 info,thanks.Was the little Madill 800 ever inteneded or designed to become a roabuilder,bucket and thumb machine,They appear to have come so close to dig ready,what was up with this model? even the boom was bannana shape

  27. #27Contract Logger2011-04-03 13:46

    That sound like such an easy question........Answer: Yes, then no, then yes, then bankruptcy. How's that? The 2800, 2850, and 3800 models were so poular with the loggers because they were built like hell and the booms/frames couldn't be destroyed. You could buy a new 3800 and just keep re-lifeing it every 10 to 12 thousand hours with a reman engine, pump, and rebuilt cylinders. No cracking or metal fatigue issues like you get with the import machines. There are lots and lots of Madill 30800's running today with well over 30,000 hours on the frames. Many lived as shovels for the 1st 12,000 hrs and then got a Waratah due to the un-godly flow that is unmatched on any other machine that size. a 3800C Madill (300 ton class machine) produces more flow than the imported 45 ton machines (Cat 345, Hitachi ZX450, Komatsu PC400, etc) so as far as flow nothing can touch it. Madill was building (by hand mind you - no assembly line or robots) aroud 155 machines a year at the 2001/2002 peak, and loggers were starting to buy smaller and smaller loaders. The 200/250 class was becoming the market mainstay so Madill decided they needed to get in on that action. The 800 (a 200 size machine) and the 1800 (250 sized) were designed and built to offer in that market. Trouble is they were hand-built and crazy expensive compared to say a 200 Hitachi or 320 Cat. Hell for stout, but too expensive. Madill had continued with the Ross/Thunderbird tradition of buying Hyundai 290 platforms to carry the stroke-type delimbers (and they worked really well by the way)> I'm no Hyundai fan, but in that job its the delimber doing all the work- not the carrier, so the Hyundai worked great as a platform -- Cummins power, Kawasaki hydraulics, etc. All that machine is is the engine/pump/valve life-support system for the stroker. There's no frame-stress or travel-power requirement so the cheap little Hyundai's fit that bill well. As the 800 and 1800 were being built, and effort to cut the price down to an affordable level for the guys used to paying Cat and Deere/Hitachi prices. Since the 290 Hyundai's were coming over anyway, the 800 and 1800 were designed to accept the Hyundai 'Robex 290' boom foot/pin assemble so any 800 or 1800 could accept one of these 290 excavator fronts if desired. Madill built a logging boom for each machine with a main-pin size the same as the 290 Hyundai excavator boom. MIND YOU- these were Madill's 200 and 250 size machines so that boom was much larger than the machine really should have been able to handle. All the 800 or 1800 Madills you see with the backhoe boom are wering that 290 Hyundai front on them. It's good as a Waratah/LogMax harvester carrier and will last in that application for a long long time. Trouble with the 800 / 1800 machines is as usual they had way to much horsepower and swing torque and if you put a grapple/quick-change on that Hyundai front you'll tear the boom in half swinging logs uphill. The uphill swing power of the Madill will crack/buckle the Hyundai 290 front. Just for kicks, ONE Madill 1800 Roadbuilder was built and equipped with the 290 boom, 42" digging bucket, and pro-link thumb. The test unit was given to Ted LeRoy Trucking with instructions: BE CAREFUL and go slow and lets see what happens here. Short stick, nothing fancy here and it only lasted a month. Cracked, broke, and on and on so Madill gave up on that idea after that. They weren't trying to get in the backhoe business anyway so no big deal. You could go buy a Cat 320 or 325 Forest Machine with backhoe front for a ton less money- so our advice was always 'go buy a Cat 325' when the backhoe question came up. I was involved with Madill in those years and watched the 800/1800 desingned and then finally built. We had a bunch of the first few units working on the North Oregon Coast as test units- we gave them to the usual suspects to try: Fallon, Olstedt, Hopkes, Lundberg, etc in the Astoria/Tillamook area. Some were sold and naturally I have several thousand pictures of testing 800/1800 machines in Oregon.....I plan on posting some of those in my 'Madill Loader' picture gallery over the next few months here: http://www.pbase.com/rustygrapple/madill_loaders_bunchers if you care to look. The same was going on in Washington State and Russ S. was up there working with his group doing the same things. In Canada too, but I didnt really get in on that action as i was pretty busy on the road with my own group of customers. Several 1800's were bought during all this- and they still live there in the North Oregon Coast area with names you guys would recognize.......It was fun for sure, great times and some great people. THEN the big BC Timber industry shakeup happened and Madill crashed along with many of its biggest customers. The rest, as they say, is history.

  28. #28Contract Logger2011-04-03 14:38

    Madill 1800 at F.J. Lundberg, Seaside Oregon Here are a couple of pics of maybe the first 1800 Logger sold in Oregon. Working inside the City Limits at Seaside, Oregon in 2004 for Lundberg on a private timber sale (farmer patch we call them). Lundberg had always been a big Madill supporter and owned lots of Thunderbird and Madill pieces.

  29. #29skadill2011-04-03 20:47

    Thanks CL,so much for that insight,thats a real testament to Madill that their machine will tear another manufacturers attachment apart,under use.

  30. #30Big Creek2011-04-03 23:25

    Hi CL, Lundbergs 1800 went down the road 2 weeks ago. I have not seen it yet but I was told they had a new Cat built for them. Scott still has the 3800 but they are on a big thinning show and the big guy is parked.

  31. #31DoubleBitTimber2011-04-04 20:18

    http://tigercat.com/specs/880-specPRINT.pdf Tigercat's releasing a new shovel model that might have some promise. Looks like it might be close to Madill's 2850. I hope they know Madill is back up and running, or are counting on something else.

  32. #32dblott2011-04-06 08:40

    Which machine did they order? We ordered my 325D Roadbuilder in Feb. Due to arrive in Eugene end of July early August. Hope it's as good as my current (2001) still is with over 11700 hours.

  33. #33Contract Logger2011-04-06 10:18

    Madill hired a new US Operations manager at Kalama around 2003-- a fellow that had managed a NAPA store in BC and didn't know jack-all about logging or loggers. The customers hated him and were starting to look at machines other than Madill- even longtime Madill customers told us they would not deal with him and were going to buy a Cat if he didnt fugure things out. Cat was always considered the closest competitor to the Madill and I hear this new Cat 330D Logger is impressive. He and I did not see eye-to-eye at all, and that Lundberg 1800 was the last new Madill I delivered in late 2004. Scott had agreed to another new 3800C right then and that delivered a few weeks after I left Madill and went on to other things (I made the long considered move to Alaska- and I'm still loving it). How did that 1800 work out for them? It's 2011 now, and Lunberg's usually put 2,000 hours a year on the machines, so at that 7-year stretch the 1800 would have 14,000 hours on it. That's alot of hours for Lundberg's- Scott likes to roll them out between 8,000 and 10,000 in my experiences with him. I dont hate that NAPA fellow and I'm sure he's fine wherever he is- the fit just wasn't a good one. He did have some real talents, just didn't get the loggers at all. Last I heard he was working for one of the big auction houses or something. Market conditions ended Madill but he sure wasn't helping in the U.S. there at the end.....after all, customer retention is a good thing in any business, right?

  34. #34trakloader2011-04-06 13:11

    324d fm No idea who owned this, Olympic was moving it for someone.

  35. #35hoechucker2011-04-06 13:26

    cl if you had to chjoose between a 1242 thunderbird or a 3800c madill(strictly for shoveling)which would you prefer and why?

  36. #36trakloader2011-04-06 14:13

    Uh-172 One of the early roadbuilder backhoes marketed by Chapman.

  37. #37Contract Logger2011-04-06 16:35

    Boy there's a tough question. Here's the short answer: If I am purely an operator, I choose the 1242 due to more hydraulic pumps = pure unbridled multifunction horsepower. If I am an owner, buying the machine for an operator, I choose the 3800C due to fuel economy and reliability. Still a hot-rod compared to the Cat 330 or Hitachi 370. That 1242 is an awesome machine, and everything that makes it hot also makes it a mechanical liability. DeBriae at Cathlamet reluctantly replaced his 1242's with 3800C's and the operators complained a little about mulifunctionality, but at the end of the day the 3800C's were less expensive to run. I'll do a side-by-side comparison when I have time and post it. Both of them are race cars compared to the boring, underpowered import stuff.

  38. #38Contract Logger2011-04-06 16:44

    I should also point out that 2 custom race-car machines ended up getting built for DeBriae and Madill called them 3850C's. They were 3800C frames with a bunch of top-secret specs I never saw. Lets just say one caught fire and was completely destroyed. I dont know where the other one is. They had special engine/hydraulic/swing/travel mods and I think Madill went broke in the testing phases and it didn't go anywhere. They were awesome I heard but everybody was afraid the power was too much and would destroy booms, finals, swing drives, etc. I know they were hot hot hot! There was a bunch of Madill 4800B stuff crammed into that 3800C frame.

  39. #39KW850&T800H2011-04-07 01:08

    Contract logger, you'd be the guy to ask-do you know of any Madill equipment around Valemount BC? Or of any yarders of any make? I'd like to know so I can get pictures for all of us to see thanks!

  40. #40hoechucker2011-04-07 14:03

    thanks for the insight C.L..i,ve never really had a chance to run a thunderbird or been around one(a real one anyway),but i'm interested in how easy they are to service and repair.i know they wouldn't be as easy as a madill but they've got to be easier to acess the internals than an import

  41. #41Scott_5272011-04-07 22:25

    Great pics Trackloader! That 324 is some pretty but I love that old UH.

  42. #42gd10r2011-04-13 17:58

    Here are a few from the recent RB auction in Denver. [/IMG]

  43. #43SPMiller2011-04-13 22:21

    PG is a long way from denver..

  44. #44SPMiller2011-04-14 22:55

    Rode 137kms on the Quad today. Old Cypress Hitachi EX400LL rotting in the woods.

  45. #45spitzair2011-04-19 23:17

    Found this neat old Beloit in Gold River 3 summers ago, when I went back there this past summer she was gone. Hope it didn't get cut up for scrap!

  46. #46forester2011-04-20 18:07

    Anything in specific folks want to see? I deal with 7 mills and their contractors here in Alberta so get to see lots of their equipment in the woods..can post photos as time/opportunities present themselves. Mostly John Deere and CAT equipment

  47. #47dblott2011-04-21 08:32

    I'd like to see some on site shots. I never get away from my projects to see what others are doing. If road building and pipe installs slow down or I get rained out, they stick me on a bellydump. The last 3 years, winter construction and mainteince have slowed down quite a bit and become more seasonal. But luckily for me something always has comeup. I like what people have been showing already, even the boneyards!

  48. #48forester2011-04-21 13:00

    http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k599/foresterab/ Looking at the photos on hand I have lots of cutblocks/crossings/screw ups and not many of equipment. Will be adding to this album after I get a chance to pass some more equipment...additions to come soon.

  49. #49dblott2011-04-23 09:50

    I 've got a question about the Beloit. The 1st boom section at the foot. Extending out will improve reach, but retracting looks like it changes the main boom lift cylinders/boom geometry to allow maximun lift, and also shift back load center. Do all four cylinders work off one stick function or are they independent. I guess what I'm trying to ask is- is boom position a 2 stick simultaneous manuvere, then just use the 2nd boom as the main boom up/down function?

  50. #50KW850&T800H2011-04-25 22:07

    Here is a Cat 320 road builder and a Madill 3200 buncher.

  51. #51KW850&T800H2011-04-26 18:05

    A Cat 926 with canadian style grapple on the front designed for lumber:

  52. #52spitzair2011-04-26 21:05

    dblott, I'm sorry I can't really answer your question having never run the machine, just saw it sitting in a yard and took pictures of it cause I thought it's neat. A great description can be found here : http://www.vannattabros.com/iron14.html These guys had one and put a great little write up about it up here. I was hoping I could buy this machine but she was gone last time I was there, and I didn't have time to go look for it or ask what it's fate might have been. Hopefully it's still alive and kicking somewhere...

  53. #53SPMiller2011-04-30 22:49

    Got lots for later, but a junior road builder for now..

  54. #54jr-transport2011-05-01 10:29

    anyone have any pics of some old koehrings? they are hard to find

  55. #55jr-transport2011-05-01 10:32

    oops, here is a link, i have a few pics, but very little info on these beasts http://www.flickr.com/photos/jr-transport/sets/72157626519280134/

  56. #56dblott2011-05-01 11:52

    First log loader I ever ran was a 1972? 466 Koehring. Between 1982 and1984. Learned alot on that old machine. Right side cab, air over hydralic, 2 joysticks( looked like a couple of dog bones sticking up), out at arms length with flippers to work the extra functions. Makes my shoulders ache thinking about those now. Chain drive tracks. No pics, just memories.

  57. #57SPMiller2011-05-01 13:54

    A few of machines working yesterday. I have more pictures of everything if anyone wants.

  58. #58dirty4fun2011-05-01 21:13

    Thanks for taking time to post the pictures, very enjoyable to see the machines and oh the great country you are working in. If you have time post some more and tell us a little about where you are working.

  59. #59SPMiller2011-05-02 00:20

    Skadill would be the best user to share the story, he's more familiar then myself.

  60. #60cutting edge2011-05-02 00:33

    Where is this?

  61. #61KW850&T800H2011-05-02 01:13

    Those pictures did look familiar, then you mentioned skadill and I knew right away what you were talking about.

  62. #62SPMiller2011-05-02 01:48

    Fraser Valley, hopefully he's not upset I named him.

  63. #63SPMiller2011-05-02 01:54

    More.

  64. #64skadill2011-05-03 00:46

    Wagner L 120 log stacker The 'unloader'.taken a week ago.

  65. #65cutting edge2011-05-03 00:51

    Pitt or harrison?

  66. #66Choker man2011-05-03 00:51

    Is this not a little out of the normal Finning line-up?

  67. #67skadill2011-05-03 00:54

    Back in the day,Finning sold Tanguay log iron,JCB excavators,Thunderbird yarders,and I think even little Ram Rod mini loaders,Dont know if they carried Wagner,but any used gear that went through their hands would have gotten a Finning decal I'm sure

  68. #68hiluxman2011-05-07 15:19

    here our some older roadbuliders and skadill who converted your old ex200 was it wajax they did some Roadbuilders a long time ago where who makes a coverted Roadbuilder the converter or the oem they where made by waycon is not a common converter

  69. #69trakloader2011-05-07 15:45

    Those aren't very old. The first outfit that I'm aware of that specially modified machines into roadbuilders was Cypress, they modified the American 750C shovel with a proper cab, guards, and a hydraulic winch on the boom, mid 1970's. Late 70's early 80's Chapman started taking the basic Hitachi UH-14 backhoe, and adding teeth to the bottom of the stick, guards, extra fuel tanks, etc. They did the same with the UH-14-2, UH-171, UH-172, and UH-181. Later Cypress bought Chapman, and built roadbuilders around EX-400 backhoes. Wajax took over from Cypress. There were a few other outfits in BC that took various makes of backhoe, and modified them for roadbuilding, but I'll have to look them up. Finning started modifying the Cat 235 for roadbuilding quite early, way back in the 70's. And someone was modifying the 300 Poclain shovel fronts for roadbuilding in the mid 70's, but I don't know who sold them. Chapman also built one or two shovels using Lorain components, I think one went to McDonald Cedar, not sure who got the other. The hydraulic shovels were popular for a short period in the 70's, before the backhoe caught on. They weren't as good as the line shovels, they just didn't have the breakout power that a line machine has. A few outfits used Cat 245's for roadbuilding, but they were real lemons, nothing but trouble. Actually, the early 235's were junk, too. They were crappy machines until the C model came out.

  70. #70trakloader2011-05-07 16:10

    Poclain roadbuilder, 1970's.

  71. #71trakloader2011-05-07 16:27

    Late model American 750C, early 1980's.

  72. #72trakloader2011-05-07 17:03

    Various old roadbuilders put out to pasture as backspars.

  73. #73hiluxman2011-05-07 19:18

    thanks trackloader are the pullys on backspars powerd our just stacic and who made the buckets is it cws or beales and is there a compant called Gilles Bros that made some buckets and roadbuliders think they where in langly bc

  74. #74hiluxman2011-05-07 19:33

    can someone post roadbulider brocheres love to see if possible

  75. #75trakloader2011-05-07 20:46

    Most of the older buckets were by ESCO, just like the shovels. Most of the buckets I've seen lately were Weldco-Beales or CWS. Never heard of Gilles Bros. ???

  76. #76trakloader2011-05-07 21:19

    More roadbuilders.

  77. #77trakloader2011-05-07 21:22

    Not all roadbuilders are backhoes, as you can see by the powerclam in the second picture.

  78. #78trakloader2011-05-07 21:28

    Uh-14 Early Hitachi UH-14 roadbuilder done up by Chapman, early 80's or late 70's. This one has an ESCO bucket. The old UH-181 backspar in one of the previous posts had a Chapman bucket.

  79. #79skadill2011-05-07 22:14

    That old dash 2 Hitachi roadbuilder now owned by spitzair was done by Contract Equipment in Courtenay,B.C.They really got into that in the early nineties,along with log loader conversions and yoders.And TL the above UH is a beautiful sight,thats a great couple pics of an early roadbuilder-real good!

  80. #80hiluxman2011-05-07 22:29

    gilles bros where in delta and made lots of buckets for komatsu machines but komatsu dealer changed all the time

  81. #81cutting edge2011-05-07 22:32

    enough of the antiques

  82. #82trakloader2011-05-07 22:32

    I'll go check tomorrow, there are a couple of ugly old Komatsus rusting away around here.

  83. #83skadill2011-05-07 22:39

    1978 uho9 This barely classes even as a roadbuilder back then,but We'll sneak it in here.I ran this for fun a bit a couple years ago.its best years are certainly behind it.Was cool to swing on it though,would have been a tough go on the wobble levers as a 20 year carreer back then.

  84. #84trakloader2011-05-07 22:46

    Did someone actually use a UH-09 for roadbuilding, or did they just install the guard package as a gag?

  85. #85hiluxman2011-05-07 23:52

    ive seen some stange roadroadbuilding Excavators like one on a low loader on the higthway in langly was a samsung all gaurded out and was a backspar i think it was orange and it looked like a hitachi going down the road at 100km hour and i pulled up beside it it was a samsung has anyone seen a samsun roadbuilder before

  86. #86csquared2011-05-08 01:53

    Is this Jaedan Resources?

  87. #87cutting edge2011-05-08 01:55

    nope.

  88. #88csquared2011-05-08 02:46

    umm, where abouts are they located? balcan cons.?

  89. #89SPMiller2011-05-08 03:24

    Man the orange in this thread gets me excited As soon as it stops raining for a week, I'm going to the QC

  90. #90cutting edge2011-05-08 03:30

    enjoy.

  91. #91Born2clearcut2011-05-08 08:46

    Guess you'll never make it there then . lol

  92. #92alco2011-05-08 10:27

    Yep, Finning was definitely the Wagner dealer for BC. In fact, they may still sell them.

  93. #93hiluxman2011-05-08 10:50

    here our some old hitachi brocheres for japan no backspar's here http://www48.tok2.com/home/tamanokenki/UH14-2.pdf

  94. #94hiluxman2011-05-08 15:38

    dose anyone have pics of a thunderbrid roadbulder is it a hyundai's in disgise and has anyone seen a eroupeion roadbilder in B.C. like a liebherre o&k and have there ever been case roadbuliders or just link belt's

  95. #95SPMiller2011-05-08 22:35

    Kobelco 912A hasnt moved in a long time.

  96. #96hiluxman2011-05-09 10:20

    is that a t-mar kobelco roadbulider

  97. #97TorkelH2011-05-09 16:19

    I suppose that is a Muskeg there on the side?

  98. #98trakloader2011-05-09 20:23

    235 Cat Here is a 235 ad from 1976.

  99. #99trakloader2011-05-09 20:34

    Fb122 Chapman put some bunchers together, too.

  100. #100SPMiller2011-05-09 23:44

    Why don't you introduce yourself, or mention who you are before asking everyone about everything they post on this site. No one knows who the heck you are...so don't expect everyone to share..

  101. #101KW850&T800H2011-05-10 01:32

    Do some research please, it's not just Link Belt. We have Cat, Deere/Hitachi, Komatsu, Samsung, Hyundai, Doosan, Daewoo, Volvo, and sadl there were even Kobelcos. There used to be Bantams. Thunderbird road builders were basically a Kobelco painted Thunderbird. The best was always Madill. Also, they don't use backspars in Japan because they don't even yard in Japan. Research is a valuable tool.

  102. #102jr-transport2011-05-10 18:33

    there, hope that worked. If it did there will be a picture of a huge old Koehring loader-forwwarder that used to be sitting at the Abitibi mill in Ft. Frances On. Did anyone out in BC or NW USA ever use them?

  103. #103jr-transport2011-05-10 18:36

    grrrrrrr! its not working! ill just paste the link. http://flic.kr/p/9zqhAw

  104. #104John C.2011-05-10 21:33

    I believe hiluxman was referring to the Sumitomo machines as in Case and Link-Belt. Case was a late comer to the forestry party in Washington and Oregon. For some reason even though Case and Link-Belt were the same machine, except for the engines in some, they never really got any acceptance in the industry. I know of several Case logging shovels that were built by either Pierce or Young but I've never seen a Case road builder. I've gone to both dealers for parts that the other dealer didn't have. Also early Thunderbird shovels were actually converted Hyundai machines and not a Kobelco that I have ever seen in Washington State. Kobelco machines started out as MDI Yutani which apparently split off into Kobelco and Mitsubishi. The two big names in building the Kobelco loggers were Jewell and Feenaughty Equipment out of Portland Oregon. The Kobelco machines have been built into just about any configuration you can imagine for logging.

  105. #105trakloader2011-05-10 22:20

    They call the Kobelcos "Ko-Joke-Hoes" up here, really awful machines. Their plant must have been infested with gremlins. There were a few O&K's used in BC at one time, but I haven't seen one since I was a kid. There were a few P&H's, too. There were quite a few Hein-Werner's around, too. Some of them were mounted on Scott-Douglas tank carriers. Horrible machines, I don't think anyone misses them. Actually, not many people feel nostalgic about them old hydraulic backhoes and shovel fronts. It seems that they were more trouble than they were worth, since they were really only meant for ditching and loading gravel trucks. Trying to use them as roadbulders was an endless story of boom cracks, blown hoses, fires, Rotec failures, etc. Probably the toughest of the early roadbuilders were the Hitachi UH-14, 14-2, 171, and 172. They held up really well.

  106. #106trakloader2011-05-10 22:22

    Yes, Bombardier Muskeg Carrier with a Perkins diesel. Used for going back and forth on the subgrade.

  107. #107Vigilant2011-05-10 22:24

    Ever use any Gradalls up that way? They say you can't make any money with a Gradall, but you can save a fortune.

  108. #108trakloader2011-05-10 22:40

    Yes, actually, they used them for ditching and as brush cutters. There is still one around, used for loading the debris truck at the sort.

  109. #109Vigilant2011-05-11 00:14

    Any Warner & Swasey Hoptos, or is that too obscure?

  110. #110skadill2011-05-11 00:30

    Hitachi UH14 Roadbuider The machine finished the roads and the roads finished the machine,she still stands though.Taken middle of last year.Last time I'd seen this machine and the owner/operator doing logging road repairs with it in 1995,I had a visit with Don while he ate his lunch that day.

  111. #111trakloader2011-05-11 00:50

    Don't recall any Hoptos up here, but there was a W&S log loader.

  112. #112trakloader2011-05-11 14:20

    Wow, what a monstrosity! I haven't heard of any used up here, and if they were, they would have likely sunk into the muskeg. Finning built a giant faller buncher, for use in BC. A friend of mine was telling me about it, they tried it out near Golden, and it just kept getting stuck. I'd guess the Koering would suffer a similar fate.

  113. #113hiluxman2011-05-11 18:21

    That Koehring looks like a pain in the butt. I think it's articulated so it bends like a skider and there hard to drive just my opinion

  114. #114skadill2011-05-14 00:57

    Mitsubishi MS300 roadbuilder An old road crew veteran,may be a 280,couldnt see any numbers.Taken a couple weeks ago

  115. #115hiluxman2011-05-14 10:56

    it says finning on a mitsubishi excavator is it just a sticker or is it sold by finning

  116. #116trakloader2011-05-14 21:18

    Here you go, this one loaded debris at the sort, but seems to have been retired now.

  117. #117SPMiller2011-05-14 22:37

    Pretend land clearing machines tucked hiding in langley from today.

  118. #118trakloader2011-05-14 23:42

    Could be a Cat EL-300 with a Mitsubishi boom, or a Mitsubishi with a Caterpillar cab. Basically the same machine.

  119. #119skadill2011-05-20 00:22

    Combo machine took this this spring

  120. #120spitzair2011-05-21 01:10

    Here's an unloader I found a few days ago in Athabasca. I don't know much about it other than it is massive! It seems to grab a whole truckload of logs and takes it to the stack under it or puts it right in the chipper. Not sure if it still exists as there was a fire just breaking out at the pulp mill it was at when we left

  121. #121cutting edge2011-05-23 11:25

    Not a loader limber or roadbuilder,but sure useful when building road in the bush.

  122. #122skadill2011-05-28 01:16

    Old Roaders probably only the 400 ever built road,but they all have 'The look'

  123. #123SPMiller2011-05-28 02:16

    More baby logging stuff. Ex150 Sort of local.

  124. #124skadill2011-05-29 02:16

    Classic Colored Roadbuilder PC 300,took this a year and a half ago ,North Nanaimo,B.C.

  125. #125SPMiller2011-05-29 23:58

    There were some deere and cat stuff i didn't get time to shoot. That aren't usually up there. And an old Miller Loader.

  126. #126HCF2011-05-31 21:08

    Here's one up in Quinsel BC were going to look at if it hasn't sold by next month. '06 Deere 2054. Pretty nice machine. It's plumbed to the end of the stick for a grapple so we could load and shovel log thinnings when we aren't piling brush. Edit: these aren't my pics.

  127. #127skadill2011-06-01 00:23

    Link-Belts having crossed the U.S./Canada border Taken by a friend this winter

  128. #128HCF2011-06-01 00:33

    Those new stink-belts sure look good. I heard their road builders don't have an oversized UC under them. Does anybody know anything around those lines?

  129. #129SPMiller2011-06-01 01:53

    Finally saw this in person, definitely a one of a kind.

  130. #130Hallback2011-06-01 02:15

    The 3800C that Scott runs is still going strong. I cut a big unit for them up walker creek last summer and it and the 1800 were both running well. They had to put a new grapple on the 3800 as it was breaking legs. I hear that he is keeping the C model until they can build him a new one.

  131. #131Hallback2011-06-01 02:19

    Jerry still has one of the 3850's and YES it is a powerful and fast machine but as you said it is easy to tear up!! The 4800 they had burned up.

  132. #132winterax2011-06-01 22:06

    That's one of the portal cranes at Alberta Pacific Forest Industries. Capacity is about 35 tonnes, there are 2 of them. The fire was in our hog pile, took about 14 hours to get the smoke to stop, we're still pouring water on it as of today as we haven't had any rain in the last 3 weeks. About 3-4 years ago, both cranes went down to structural cracks. The yard was pretty much full ( 900,000m3 + ) and no way a portable crane could gets to the logs efficiently. OHS allowed us to build ramps up the side, we had 2 butt-n-tops on top and then skidders would drag logs down, reload then refeed into the drum debarker. I'll check around the office, I'm sure we got photos someplace. Long story short, we didn't miss out on any production. The mill needs about 3 million m3 per year ( a truck load lasts between 6-7 minutes ), we need about 200-210 loads a day to meet consumption alone. We are the newest pulp mill in North America, and our only real competition is in South America. Most of our product now goes to Asia or the mid-west states. I've been working in the Woodlands Department for 13 years now, pretty good place. A lot of freeedom to try out new stuff, as long as its safe, ok to the environment and justifiable cost wise its ok.

  133. #133KW850&T800H2011-06-02 00:10

    I have more pictures to post, should I?

  134. #134Deereman2011-06-02 00:40

    Why YES!! Loving the picture guys!! Keep them up

  135. #135skadill2011-06-02 00:58

    Semi RetIRONment Living in that dangerous place for equipment between usable and expendable I guess.Time will tell.taken just recently

  136. #136SPMiller2011-06-02 01:28

    The counterweight says it all about a younger generations thoughts.

  137. #137KW850&T800H2011-06-02 19:54

    Here are some more. The first photo is in a yard, the next two pics are of the same guy that owns the Sparmatic, he's making a road with his Cat 966C. And the last one is in a yard. Wasn't there a nickname for the colours on that last Komatsu? Something starting with a B?

  138. #138SPMiller2011-06-02 22:40

    Love the look of a guarded 66'

  139. #139skadill2011-06-02 22:55

    Barko 475 Very odd carrier for B.C.must have started life south of the border.Taken last year

  140. #140cutting edge2011-06-02 23:46

    looks are one thing, 8 hours of seat time is another. There was a 966B that I took care of and often ran at the place you pushed snow at (didn't know that,did ya?) Bombproof....but you vibrated for hours once you got out of it. Best machine Ive ever worked on....over 80,000 hours, 2 inframes,1 tranny,1 axle rebuild,4 sets of pins and bushings.

  141. #141SPMiller2011-06-03 00:44

    Actually yeah, I've got pictures of it someplace. It had some funny slogan on it. It was an old beast. So did Dave take over for you?

  142. #142cutting edge2011-06-03 01:12

    It had a license plate frame that said "crusher"....from a certain event involving a burning vw van. Dave didnt take over from me. He "filled a space" once Brendan left. Dave was/is a truck driver with a tool box. I'd be stoked if you posted a picture of it.

  143. #143KW850&T800H2011-06-03 01:22

    Post a picture of it SP!! I wanna see the difference between the B and C. Kind of like the 3800B and C difference, which is a lot. Wondering if it's the same between the 966's. But I'm sure it's just model years.

  144. #144cutting edge2011-06-03 01:37

    About 1000 differences between the b and c....the most noticeable will be the cab(obvious),engine(343 vs 3306) and trans.(2 spd/hi/lo vs 3 spd powershift) If he manages to get a pic up,the machine was originally delivered to the airport in Whitehorse,Yukon and then sold at about 8000 hours to BC Parks and then to a private parks operator. Where she is now....who knows,but I cut my wrenching teeth on that old girl, she taught me tonnes.

  145. #145KW850&T800H2011-06-03 15:24

    Alright! Thanks for the info, and the 966's were great machines. I bet you did learn a lot from it.

  146. #146skadill2011-06-04 00:35

    Old New Hitachi EX300LL Shared pic,must have been taken when new nearly 20 years ago almost?

  147. #147SPMiller2011-06-04 02:08
  148. #148KW850&T800H2011-06-04 02:28

    Beautiful machine Skadill, I really like those EX300LL's. Same with Komatsu RC300HD's. And the John Deere loaders of those days. Basically a different painted and numbered Hitachi, right?

  149. #149KW850&T800H2011-06-04 12:04

    An awesome 644C, the engine was just rebuilt and it is in great shape, well, except for the cab :tong

  150. #150KW850&T800H2011-06-04 12:09

    An old Cat 944, rear axle steering and still going hard! The front bucket linkages have about 2 inches of play. I couldn't find the hours meter, but it has had an engine overhaul once or twice.

  151. #151KW850&T800H2011-06-04 12:11

    OOPS! Forgot the pictures haha! :tong

  152. #152KW850&T800H2011-06-05 00:26

    Cat 320CLL What does LL mean again?

  153. #153Deereman2011-06-05 01:19

    I'm no cat person but i think the first L was for long undercarriage and then the second of logger style. Or Loose and lite

  154. #154KW850&T800H2011-06-05 01:30

    Thanks, yeah, I think one was for Long something or other. The Hitachi's use LL as well.

  155. #155KW850&T800H2011-06-05 01:49

    LOL, it means Log Loader. Simple but effective.

  156. #156hvy 1ton2011-06-06 16:25

    CAT has since moved to the FM(Forestry Machine) and Hitachi now tacks a Forester on the end. I wonder, do the Cat FM's get run down the same assembly line as normal excavators?

  157. #157Deereman2011-06-06 16:48

    hvy, I wouldn't think so. But they might. I know deere has their plant in kernersville ,nc and the last I heard when i went there on my visit back in 05 or 06 they were about to move the forestry machines in on the same property from canada.

  158. #158KW850&T800H2011-06-06 18:37

    That is true, FM is now what it is. But in all honesty, Hitachi Foresters are the best in my opinion.

  159. #159SPMiller2011-06-06 20:53

    All Hitachi and Deere Forestry machines are made right here in BC. Aldergrove to be specific. Someone said they're making 13 a month right now.

  160. #160hvy 1ton2011-06-06 20:59

    Yep, they come out of the Deere Hitachi Specialty Products shop. I don't know where cat builds the FM's though.

  161. #161SPMiller2011-06-06 22:10

    I do, Cat Forest Products in Prentice, Wisc

  162. #162cutting edge2011-06-06 22:50

    ...and they'd better put an extra shift on,the way things are going these days. Hotcakes I tell ya.

  163. #163hiluxman2011-06-11 00:23

    heres a cool roadbulider video on a chinese website realy its a real roadbulider a hitachi ex1800 and a hitachi ex700 with gauding a cws thumb and has anyone seen a 70 ton roadbulider before http://v.cehome.com/video/index/3445

  164. #164csquared2011-06-11 01:08

    I believe its more like, 1.3 a day. Brandt takes about 60 percent of everything that comes out of that plant, and there waiting list is into October.

  165. #165WC&T2011-06-11 01:15

    Those machines are owned by Rognlins, who owns Northwest Rock Quarries Inc, . Not sure what quarry that was in but they are based out of Aberdeen, WA. I believe they own almost all the quarries/gravel pits around the harbor (Quigg Bros. own 1 i think) and I am pretty sure they are sorting and loading rock for the jetty at Westport, WA. here is a link to pictures of the jetty work on rognlins website. http://www.rognlins.com/WestportJetty.htm

  166. #166diamondtguy2011-06-11 02:00

    I wonder if the Aldergrove shop is looking for people...I could use a career change again...Cory (Pacific Truck 1977-1987)

  167. #167SPMiller2011-06-20 02:01

    This one still works...

  168. #168jr-transport2011-06-20 10:09

    this is one of our loaders an old Komat'su PC200LC with a 5/8 cd Superior clam on it. I can load 13-16 cd of 8ft. poplar in about 25-35 minutes with it. Good machine, just needs a final drive.

  169. #169KW850&T800H2011-06-22 21:28

    What used to be a loader, but bought about 2 years ago new, one now has a scrap metal magnet on it, the other has a claw. Hitachi.

  170. #170KW850&T800H2011-06-22 21:31

    Those turned out better than I thought

  171. #171JTL2011-06-26 18:18

    First and only Prentice I've ever seen in person that wasn't mounted on a truck or RT carrier.

  172. #172JTL2011-06-26 18:20

    Woops, forgot the pictures!

  173. #173John C.2011-06-26 21:52

    Where did you take those photos? Looks kind of familiar.

  174. #174JTL2011-06-26 22:55

    Dallesport, WA. Down in the industrial area.

  175. #175Ryan Rønning2011-06-27 08:25

    You sure do not see to many of those.

  176. #176Vigilant2011-06-27 12:34

    Ronglins bought out Friend & Rikalo some time ago, and took over all their quarries. I'm so old, as a young lad, I knew Sam Rikalo when he was still alive. He and Don Friend were close friends of my father's. I used to go to school with Randy Ronglin years ago, in Central Park. His dad built our family's house. They say Randy lives high on the hog these days. Small world.

  177. #177lg junior2011-06-27 21:04

    Here is an old prentice that I use to have. Notice the drive chain sprockets, LS78 Linkbelt tracks. It originally had an undercarriage from a Hy-hoe excavator.

  178. #178SPMiller2011-06-27 21:51

    I've got a walk around of a prentice log loader track mounted i should upload someday

  179. #179Ryan Rønning2011-06-28 12:09

    Prentice actually made some pretty impressive machines.

  180. #180KW850&T800H2011-06-28 20:42

    Up for auction, 2 2004 2054D's, and one 2006. All have Waratah HTH 622B heads.

  181. #181hiluxman2011-06-28 21:40

    fond this it from japan and looks a bit like a backspar but there not mounted one the cat 235 or hitachi uh171 http://www.iwafuji.co.jp/lineup/forest/sw.htm

  182. #182hvy 1ton2011-06-29 00:55

    Looks like a baby yoader to me. I don't think a 13 ton machine is gonna be able to pull much of a turn, but maybe they're building firebreaks or something.

  183. #183wanabemachinist2011-06-29 02:06

    regarding SPMiller's pictures #168 I see what looks like a Nicholson 10 deck loader in the background. I have worked on a lot of those ones, not common to be painted something other than green although Mac Blo, Roseburg lbr etc would get their colors if they wanted it. You got the money we can do it

  184. #184csquared2011-06-29 19:02

    Rb sure does a good job at hidin how houred up those machines are. Judging by the plates in the boom on the green ones its got a few hours. along with all 3 heads being first generaton 622b's they have all got the recall bracing in them along with all the other common cracks that happen on them, they have made a few logs in there time.

  185. #185JTL2011-06-29 22:39

    There is no way that R.B. would paint something up to make it look showroom fresh! I wonder if they put new plastic on the seats, to go along with the 5 coat overhaul they gave them?

  186. #186jackd2011-06-29 22:53

    I remember an Aviation auction held by someone many years ago on Vancouver airport. Every piece of garbage from up and down the west coast flew into the airport on a wing and a prayer. I watched these beat up Cessna 185's and DeHavilland Beavers come up the seaplane ramp and off they went to a big hangar down the way for sprucing up. Some of them had engines that only had a few hours before the required overhauls and the airframes weren't much better. A young guy with very few hours under his belt bought a very beaten Cessna 185 and brought it over to our hangar for some repairs. The aileron cables were laying slack in their runs. I asked him if he was married and had kids. He said no. I said good because you aren't going to live long flying this thing. It was amazing what a coat of paint would do to the value of these machines when they finally went up for bid.

  187. #187Kap4502011-06-29 23:08

    It sounds like the old saying "putting lipstick on a pig"

  188. #188jackd2011-06-29 23:43

    Actually in my industry, they call it a 'five gallon overhaul'.

  189. #189KW850&T800H2011-06-30 01:37

    They didn't paint them at all...they were in forest condition.

  190. #190SPMiller2011-06-30 01:46

    I think it's just that interior boys don't beat the **** out of machines that don't need to be beaten. what are the hours like on em?

  191. #191KW850&T800H2011-06-30 01:57

    We do sometimes have beaten up ones, look at that counter weight, not bad but I know there is worse. The hours were almost equal on all, little more on the 2005's. Nice though.

  192. #192Jumbo2011-06-30 07:47

    Ritchie Brothers = Paint 'er yeller and sell 'er

  193. #193Hallback2011-06-30 12:13

    There is no reason a processor should be beaten up with even 15K hours on it. It's not like they are shovel logging with them. Paint wear on the counter balance is nothing, it is usually from a pile fo chunks from butt flushing.

  194. #194csquared2011-06-30 17:55

    those machines havent been painted but i could pretty well guarentee theres been work done. ( whether it was the owner or RB) Even washing a processor makes it look better. With the amount of hoses in those heads and the liters of hyd that runs to and back from the carrier there hydralic sprinklers. The drive arm stops have been rewelded or built up, most of the recall bracing from the first gen 622b is welded on as well as some more homemade stuff. Exhaust pipes have been replaced after hitch hikers have flattened them off. Theres a new side panel on one. dents in the hoods. the bent hand railing are expected from pulling and swingin logs around. Theres a few dints in the right front corner closer to the boom side, presumably from the head as well as on the cat walks. And yes a processor should not look really rough at 15k hours, but internally there beat. Swing bearings, rotacs, swing motors, hyd pumps valve banks, rads, hoses, danfoss valves, electrical all goes to ****. U/C are about the only thing that is left at 15000 hours. Last year i ran a volvo 210bfx with 13 000 hours and it was constantly wearing through hoses on the head, valve bank and boom ( and a 2 inch hose from the coolers.. 9 pails on the ground in the time it took to make 3 logs.)and over heated all summer. Along with the electrical night mare of solonids and wires rubbing. but even this year im in a 1800hr deere 2154 and i still have a oring or a hose weeping somewhere once a week.

  195. #195KW850&T800H2011-07-20 19:26

    Lotsa lotsa pics to go up, here are a few.

  196. #196KW850&T800H2011-07-20 19:28

    More.

  197. #197KW850&T800H2011-07-20 19:30

    Some more

  198. #198KW850&T800H2011-07-20 19:32

    More

  199. #199Choker man2011-07-20 19:41

    Looks like the rubber tired skidder got a little too hot.

  200. #200KW850&T800H2011-07-21 02:13

    Good riddance for that newer 525. :tong

  201. #201Scott S2011-07-30 09:40

    Our 295 Kobelco with a 10000 Log Max [video=youtube;xyN6bS8OAWg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyN6bS8OAWg[/video]

  202. #202Scott S2011-07-30 09:46

    We use this 300 Kobelco for everything, road building, rock pit digging, tail hold, and rigging layout. The drum holds about 2500' of haywire.

  203. #203Colorado Digger2011-07-30 09:59

    that is impressive watching the log max work. that must take a real long time to get so good at. are there guys that come ocer from the general excavation field and run log loaders and such and work in the timber industry? i guess it is all part of the job up in the pnw. i have always been interested in logging road contruction and such. i don't know how busy you guys are and where the demand for timber is, but would guess that with how slow it is here that is is slow as well. but i know canada is doing well now and there is an export market. thanks for the neat fotos. regards, cd

  204. #204Scott S2011-07-30 10:29

    That operator has been with us for over 15 years starting with a Denis Stroker, moved to a Limmit stroker and this is our 4th Log Max. Processing timber is not all in running the machine the operator has to merchandise every stick to maximize return and quality. We are busy, the export markets are a big influence on our production here.

  205. #205Scott S2011-07-30 13:25

    Another Kobelco fitted with a 7000 Log Max, this one is for sale.

  206. #206Hallback2011-07-30 16:52

    Scott, PM me or call me at 260-520-2850 with info on the 250/290 with logmax forsale. Thanks, Darren

  207. #207Scott S2011-07-30 19:35

    It's a 210, 8400 hours

  208. #208Hallback2011-07-30 20:23

    What are you asking for it??

  209. #209Scott S2011-07-31 09:35

    $140k

  210. #210skadill2011-08-01 00:36

    Hitachis One for loading,one for roading.taken a year and a half ago.

  211. #211skadill2011-08-06 02:29

    225 Cat Buncher One of the originals,must be very early 80's.Still alive and lightly worked.taken a couple months ago

  212. #212hvy 1ton2011-08-07 16:59

    Looks like an intermittent hotsaw.

  213. #213JeremyM702011-08-08 19:28

    new Komatsu shovel Someone is getting a new shovel, spied this one at Modern Machinery Portland today.

  214. #214Hallback2011-08-08 20:08

    Damn those are good shovels!!

  215. #215JeremyM702011-08-08 20:11

    Should have been nosy and gone over and asked who it was. But I was focused on getting the yarder pictures over in the T-Bird thread.

  216. #216skadill2011-08-10 01:01

    Cat 320B Processor/Log Max Taken a few weeks ago

  217. #217Hallback2011-08-10 01:53

    That 320 looks a lil rough for wear!!! lol

  218. #218HCF2011-08-10 03:08

    Yeah it does. Looks like a unicorn with that hand rail stuck out in front of the cab.

  219. #219Hallback2011-08-10 08:56

    I was thinkin' it looked like it had been drug up and down the skyline of that Madill a few times!!

  220. #220skadill2011-08-11 01:19

    Loader/Roadbuilder Volvo at Campbell River,Hitachi at North Nanaimo,both taken a year and a half ago

  221. #221csquared2011-08-12 01:06

    are they all 2154's now?

  222. #222forester2011-08-15 13:06

    Bunchers hired to clean up right-of-ways following a forest fire this summer Antique buncher on private land. Has not moved in at least 8 years but can't get better pictures of it from the highway. Will see what other buncher photos I can get this fall as harvesting is starting to pick up again.

  223. #223forester2011-08-15 13:10

    Old Processor set-up. Not sure on age but it has been on site for 3 years. Taken last week. More photos on the photo album here: http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k599/foresterab/ I have road building photos of excavators but they're mostly oil and gas related as the forestry companies rarely build permanent roads here.

  224. #224skadill2011-08-15 23:17

    Link-Belt LS 3400 TL I took these with an old Kodak 110 as a youngster in 1986.Machine was new and for sale out of the Trican Machinery yard in Richmond,B.C. then.Had a GM 4-71 engine,Barko 52" grapple,11350 lbs lift capacity at 35 feet out.weighed 72,000 pounds and was listed for $245,000 canadian.

  225. #225skadill2011-08-16 20:00

    Madill 1800 Taken a few hours ago.Video footage on skadill youtube channel as well.

  226. #226Scott S2011-08-16 22:12

    My 300 Kobelco with 2 speed drums each will hold 1400 feet of 5/8. We shotgun mostly with it but have done some downhill high lead. One of a kind option on this shovel, we had Jewell convert the lower section of the boom into a fuel tank and plumbed it into the main fuel tank. It holds over 200 gallons.... Thinking about selling but it may be on the rental market soon if somebody needs one badly enough.

  227. #227SPMiller2011-08-17 00:31

    Any pics of the fuel tank boom

  228. #228SPMiller2011-08-22 06:42

    Again teaser drive by picture. One of our two 330 RB.

  229. #229Scott_5272011-08-23 15:31

    What do you think of the 330s? Looks like a C or maybe a D?

  230. #230SPMiller2011-08-23 22:58

    Both C's. And the only reason we have two is because one is always broken. They're a nice platform, like a ME excavator only up higher. Makes feeding a jaw or placing things into a trucks box nice. But I don't see why real yellow or orange wouldn't of been the better purchase. That being said I haven't put alot of hours on either, I've listened to what they guys who run them say though. We've had a new D series 324 for a little bit now, loaded out just a 1000 cubes today, It's a refined C series I guess, but not an improvement.

  231. #231cutting edge2011-08-25 07:43

    Did you take a job with Skrewit?

  232. #232skadill2011-08-28 00:25

    Line Loaders A 1958 American 7250 (closest one) and an American 599,taken this summer

  233. #233JTL2011-08-28 01:05

    Newish Cat shovel I followed an empty truck up this road the other day and spoted this newish machine. Went back up there today with permission from the machine's owner to have a closer look. What a BEAST!

  234. #234Hallback2011-08-28 20:05

    Whose machine Jason?? Tim Brown??

  235. #235skadill2011-08-31 02:40

    Barko 475 Log Loader Rusting peacefully,taken the other day.

  236. #236HCF2011-08-31 02:49

    Nice little road builder I saw a couple weeks ago. I don't know who's it is.

  237. #237log big2011-08-31 21:21

    nice cat 568 log loader it comes with 291hp go to caterpillar.com

  238. #238skadill2011-09-01 02:04

    Komatsu PC150 The smallest fully decked out roadbuilder type configuration I've ever seen.Real skookum little machine.Taken a few days ago.

  239. #239HCF2011-09-01 02:53

    The cab is bigger than the whole machine. Cool find!

  240. #240JTL2011-09-01 21:10

    Yes it is. Tim is crushing the rock for the job I'm on. Went over to his place last Friday to give him the final quanities that I need to finish the job. Got to BSing and asked if he would mind if I went up there and had a look around.

  241. #241SPMiller2011-09-02 16:00

    345C L rolled over 9,200 hours the other night. Fully guarded, lexan glass etc.

  242. #242SPMiller2011-09-03 18:38

    So Are bunchers allowed in this thread, they pop up here and there, but aren't technically under the criteria. Should they get a seperate thread?

  243. #243Pacifica2011-09-04 22:16

    Who makes the best log loader? Cat? John deere? Hitachi? Komatsu? Volvo? Link belt? Other?

  244. #244Redwood Climber2011-09-04 23:42

    WOW!! What a question.......... You are opening a huge can of worms........welcome to the forum! There are nearly as many answers to that question as there are loader operators and owners. Operators like power and speed, they like visibility, they like hoses that don't hang out there waiting for the first limb or stob to rip them off. They like tough tinware, ease of operator maintenance, a tough machine that can hold up to some abuse, easy to read gauges, and easy to use horn. Room in the cab is nice, a good spot (easy to get to) to heat up lunch on winter mornings, high clearance between tracks and loader (don't worry as much about squishing that green chaser)........ Owners like PRICE!!! RELIABILITY!! How about parts availability? Real hard to beat CAT for that........How about the cost of parts? Owners like to know that when they break down.........and if you keep it long enough they all do, how soon can we get her going, and how much is it going to cost. So to answer that question, there are so many variable, size of machine needed, are you going to be constantly moving? Shovel logging vs parked under a yarder, for shovel logging you want lots of swing torque, reach, tractive pull, generally a larger machine,.......and the list goes on and on........ Wow, what a question...........the kind I like, blunt to the point, no beating around the bush......you are going to get a ton of responses on this one I would guess.............

  245. #245jr-transport2011-09-04 23:56

    Koehring! The K4L and its sucessor the 440. massive go-everywhere machines. Unfortunately they are now relegated to boneyards and scrap heaps...

  246. #246John C.2011-09-05 00:02

    All the loggers are some type of modified excavator with a logging front derived from those originally built by Pierce and Young corporations. There isn't much difference between any of them anymore. They all move logs, eat fuel, break down and need grease. The best one doesn't depend on manufacturer anymore. It depends on the man in the seat and the person paying the bills.

  247. #247Contract Logger2011-09-05 00:44

    I dont believe there is a best shovel at all, but rather the best shovel for the application, whatever that is. Any machine will sit under the yarder and load- they did it with line machines (Bucyrus, P&H, Manitowoc, Link-Belt, etc), then old hydraulics- Prentice D600's and Husky XL-300's, etc. Slow but capable nonetheless. For flat-out shovel-logging the Thunderbirds and Madills couldn't be beat. The TB 942's, 1242's, and Madill 3800C's just flat-out smoked eveything in thier classes with huge raw horsepower and giant pump-flow. The downfall is they burn insane fuel and need lots of attention mechanically due to the horsepower and flow. Between breakdowns however, you will get more logs than everybody else is with thier Link-Belts and Hitachis. Can you afford those logs? That's up to you. The playing field today I think is basically pretty even- Cat, Komatsu, Deere/Hitachi, Link-Belt are all decent machines that will give you good service for 10,000 hours. There are still the price-point machines out there too- Kobelco, Doosan, Volvo, etc and from what I've seen they work fine but you wait longer for parts and you get a little less resale for them. I dont know if it was really fair to put Kobelco in this category anymore- they've come a long way and the Link-Belt/Kobelco are very close in terms of price and durability. I dont think Volvo is ther yet with durability- the machines I've been around were terrible. Lots of technology (too much?) and not enough iron. Here's the real truth however: The Feds have thier boot on the throat of industry in this country and right now your log loader manufacturers aren't worried about you getting any logs. They're worried about how the heck they will meet all the ridiculous emissions standards coming down the pike. You're an innocent bystander who is about to start suffering the consequences of this nonsense. Machinery prices are going through the sky and machine reliability is about to go down. I'll close with this: The best log loader didn't have to worry about meeting any emissions standards! And John C is spot-on: A lousy/careless operator will destroy the best log loader, whatever you decide that machine is.

  248. #248Contract Logger2011-09-05 00:56

    Sorry about the above rant- I fee the comming emmissions standards are the biggest hurdle loggers will face over the next 10 years. Especially those working remote (BC Coast, Alaska, etc), who will really suffer trying to figure out all the issues associated with this. Things are going to get ugly with these new machines. Cat's already having significant problems with the engines in thier newer loggers. Everyone else is close behind......

  249. #249dirty4fun2011-09-05 06:31

    Very well put C L, and yes the government controls are tough. Going to be alot of extra cost and just more regulations to try to keep up with. They have gotten much of the emmissions in the farm realted equipment for now meeting the government standards. It is going to be tough to keep all this equipment running when it gets some age on it, with all the added computer controlled items. I think I read where one volcano eruption puts more green house gas into the air than all the vehicles have ever have produced. One thing we don't need is more regulations from so many people that can't even come close to taking care of themselves.

  250. #250dblott2011-09-05 08:33

    Your exactly right CL! Your "rant" needed to be said. There's so much more out there being shoved at us. Makes alot of sense to increase exhaust temps to "clean" exhaust out in the woods. I'd say more, but I've got to get to work. If I remember right, 1980 Mt. St. Helens blast is what the data was from. I think it included industry emmissions also, not just vehicles.

  251. #251Scott S2011-09-05 10:46

    I have 7 Kobelco's on the jobsite right now, a couple with over 15,000 hours.

  252. #252Contract Logger2011-09-05 15:29

    I've seen them get 30,000 and I know 2 loggers now who still use 30,000+ hour Kobelco's for backspar, tailhold, and cleanup duty. I know another logger using a 30,000 hour 4300 Quantum loading under his yarder everyday. Lots of old iron still around- just depends on who was in the seat for those hours. I've seen alot more 3800 Madills get easily to 30,000+ hours still in full daily production than any other logging machine the last 5 years. The old high-hour die-hards used to be the Cat 235's, but fuel prices have made most of those go away now. In the 80's and early 90's they were everywhere. I knew I'd get grief for that post.... I wasnt looking for an arguement with anyone, just offering one person's opinion. If you like the Kobelcos and are seeing some success, I only wish you more of that good luck. I sure dont wish ill on any logger. Life in the woods is difficult enough.

  253. #253Contract Logger2011-09-05 21:17

    How about those Beavers-- Any OSU fans out there? Thunderbird Logger custom-painted for Allen & Gibbons. There was to be a U of O Green/White/Yellow 'Ducks' twin to this machine but that never did materialize. I cannot imagine a better picture than 2 Eugene, Oregon-built logging machines parked grapple-to-grapple, each painted for one of the rival college teams! I have a bunch of great pics of this machine I'll post in the Thunderbird Thread eventually. Knowing my luck, Scott S. above is a Ducks fan.

  254. #254Scott S2011-09-05 21:57

    No Duck fan here, I don't root for laundry....

  255. #255Hallback2011-09-05 22:52

    I'm with Scott!!

  256. #256Ryan Rønning2011-09-10 09:56

    That is awesome. I am a die-hard Beaver fan.

  257. #257hoechucker2011-09-10 17:59

    i've loved that loader since i saw it in loggers world.it was only about a month or two ago my boss and i were looking at it in a&gs yard with the main boom torn off,but they were in the middle of gluing back together and beefing up the frame

  258. #258furpo2011-09-10 18:09

    RE; the best machine. That is a hard one. I have experience with Komatsu, Hitachi, Cat, Hyundai, Kobelco and Libherr. The Komatsu is a nice machine but expencive. I am impressed by the Hyundai. The Cat 324D would have to be one of the best all rounders. I am not a fan of the Cat FM models becasue the forestrey cab is a pain for shovelling. You have to be really carefull with the margaurd. RE; emissions. I wish this industry was more forward thinking. We should as an industry be demanding these things from or equipment manufactures long before it is mandated. If we wait until the law makers change the rules we will always end up in a pickle one way or another. So why is it not? After all there are some very big companies and a lot of money floating around. In my opinion it is because those who are in charge of the money are not inovators at all. They are focused on short term profits and dont see the long term implications. For me the key for this industry to move forward is to become proactive rather than reactive. There are many who have been around longer than I, however, I am sick of the moaning with a lack of action. Staffing problems, low longing rates, tree huggers, markets, etc, etc are common gripes of the contractor. The issues would not exist if they are dealt with properly when they arise. We do not have to wait for someone else to be proactive. Just get off your arse and do it. Thats my winge anyway.

  259. #259isx5252011-09-11 11:41

    x2 we need to embrace technology, not fight it. isx

  260. #260skadill2011-09-25 00:40

    Komatsu PC-400 loader Taken earlier this summer

  261. #261hiluxman2011-09-26 18:33

    look they still make the old 235 in india it whould been funny to see this as a roadbuilder it a hindustan 6022 insted of a 235 i whould lol if i saw this in m&b red with hindustan on the arm

  262. #262skadill2011-10-02 00:28

    John Deere 690E Taken a few weeks ago

  263. #263nzloggaar2011-10-02 15:59

    2009 Hyundai 380LC-9 with Logmax 12000

  264. #264Deereman2011-10-04 15:50

    skadill, I like the hell out of that ol 690E. That Thing sure is in good shape for the year!!

  265. #265SPMiller2011-10-08 01:09

    One of the few survivors in my area..

  266. #266skadill2011-10-08 22:29

    Wagner 120 Big Un-loader,taken a few months ago

  267. #267nzloggaar2011-10-09 15:58

    NZ has just had a recent delivery of the new Wagner. I think they only got one and that was being put to work in Tauranga.

  268. #268skadill2011-10-09 17:04

    Madill 3800C & KW Lowbed Taken earlier this summer

  269. #269JeremyM702011-10-09 19:20

    Linkbelt self propelled loader Cool old shovel at the Astoria Timber Festival yesterday.

  270. #270JeremyM702011-10-09 19:25

    Thunderbird stroke delimber Found this one in Longview yesterday.

  271. #271JeremyM702011-10-09 19:28

    New Cat shovel Cat shovel heading for the woods in Longview.

  272. #272Hallback2011-10-09 23:22

    I wonder which one of Cheap & Cheaper's slam bang's is gonna tear this one up??

  273. #273Hallback2011-10-09 23:25

    Was this 1236 at Pape'...???

  274. #274JeremyM702011-10-09 23:26

    Yeah I figure a local would recognize the truck. Stopped thru there on the way back from the Astoria show yesterday.

  275. #275JTL2011-10-09 23:26

    I'm not over there anymore, or I would have got to see that today when I went to the UPS drop box. Rats!

  276. #276JeremyM702011-10-09 23:49

    Nope Pape just has the old Weyco Linkbelt shovel #112 with the missing tracks. The stroker was a little to the west off Industrial Way, names withheld to protect the innocent. I think you could guess whose it was.

  277. #277Hallback2011-10-10 01:11

    West or East by Pac-fibre and the old Ross Simmons mill site?? If so then it is DFCC's machine.

  278. #278Hallback2011-10-10 01:13

    That shovel sat at NC in chehalis for about 3 weeks.

  279. #279JeremyM702011-10-10 01:22

    Yes I assume it was a DFCC machine. Not sure if the Cat belongs to the other folks or they are just the delivery truck?

  280. #280SPMiller2011-10-10 09:27

    Rotting in the trees. It was a Macmillian back spar at one point. Excavator, then roadbuilder, then backspar, then quarry machine, then demo machine. They never die.

  281. #281SPMiller2011-10-12 10:07

    Never seen one of these before, doubt i ever will again.

  282. #282Vigilant2011-10-12 11:23

    Looks similar to the typical feller/buncher/accumulator head they used down south for some time, working in smaller wood.

  283. #283SPMiller2011-10-13 00:49

    UH hitachi with a shear? Here's another small roadbuilder...turned silvaculture hoe...worn and now enroute to the parts pile and torch...a long way from home.

  284. #284SPMiller2011-10-14 01:06
  285. #285Rusty Grapple2011-10-14 01:16

    Great shots of this Madill 3800 'Model A' SP! The colors are just perfect and the subject is a real veteran too. These A-Model 3800's were real beasts. I agree on the UH series feller-buncher, what a neat find. I have never seen one before, and I wonder how many exist? You may have scored a one-off machine there! Your pictures are getting really, really good- industrial photography can be very difficult in terms of light and color, but you're just nailing it lately! I sure hope you stick with it, you're really doing a good job.

  286. #286estaked2011-10-14 15:58

    Sorry to break up the thread, for some reason can't pm But Scott is this machine still for sale?

  287. #287Scott S2011-10-14 18:51

    Sorry it sold two months ago. Scott S

  288. #288SPMiller2011-10-16 23:29

    tidy little machine, and rotting away in retirement.

  289. #289Born2clearcut2011-10-17 08:51

    JTR's EX300LL Hitachi and his 330 Cat roadbuilder pictures taken in Treat Creek Jervis Inlet BC

  290. #290hpotscom2011-10-17 17:34

    I remembered falling from our loader when I was a kid, broke my left arm then, now? I'm seeking to educate myself further with these machines since we'll be using it a lot..

  291. #291Scott S2011-10-19 15:57

    How about dual use machines? A guyline stump...

  292. #292skadill2011-10-25 23:22

    Before and now Everything comes to an end.Taken a year and half ago,and today

  293. #293csquared2011-10-26 21:00

    ha! another burnt up 2250 madil!

  294. #294skadill2011-10-27 00:48

    Crispy Cutter Theres forest fires and forest machine fires

  295. #295Born2clearcut2011-10-27 08:33

    Crispy Crawler Heres a burnt cat

  296. #296John C.2011-10-27 22:06

    That's a lot of extra counterweight for a machine that size. Did they put on more boom and stick to justify that amount of extra weight?

  297. #297SPMiller2011-10-28 01:14
  298. #298SPMiller2011-10-28 01:23
  299. #299DoosanFan2011-10-28 16:17

    I must see if I can't get a pic of a really badly burnt out Bell Kato harvetser, sounds like the electrics to the head around the cab heated up under some debris, melted and short circuited, the whole machine burnt to nothing. Otherwise this is really cool thread, keep the pics coming.

  300. #300hvy 1ton2011-10-28 23:56

    I like that 370 a lot. Looks to be in great shape for a roadbuilder. I do wonder if there's a good story behind the boom patch or if it was fatigue. Just noticed the bucket linkage. I don't know that i've ever seen that happen before

  301. #301Born2clearcut2011-10-29 08:14

    Not that i know of , It's mainly for hoechucking the buncher pile's out on the sidehill

  302. #302SPMiller2011-10-30 05:37

    It was purchased within the last year, and at the time I remember it being pretty houred out and all of them being Costal camp work. so 10,000 hrs +/- for a standard boom seems pretty decent. The linkage I don't know about, not a big deal though.

  303. #303SPMiller2011-11-01 23:12
  304. #304skadill2011-11-07 20:29

    Link-Belt Taken early this summer

  305. #305DoosanFan2011-11-08 10:27

    This site really needs a "Like" button... :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

  306. #306skadill2011-11-09 19:18

    Link-Belt 4300C & Thunderbird 45 Taken on Mount Woodside,B.C. around 1996ish .Yarder was an ex-Cattermole Timber machine http://www.youtube.com/user/skadill

  307. #307skadill2011-11-10 18:52

    690e ll & 1980 kw A load of hemlock I hauled into Northview in 1997 http://www.youtube.com/user/skadill

  308. #308Rusty Grapple2011-11-10 23:23

    Love that JD690E with the rear-entry cab and full handrails- Great shot!

  309. #309SPMiller2011-11-11 06:04

    Taken today Brand new 2011 roadbuilder, barely a month old. Found some unstable ground and found it's a way into a pond. So the water was pumped down about ten feet, and 3 days were spent building a road of bolders and 3 feet of rock to it. A D9, D8 and Two 360's all working together got it to this point. It's still no where near out.

  310. #310SPMiller2011-11-11 06:06

    Wonder what ever became of that 690?

  311. #311Born2clearcut2011-11-13 12:09

    Linkbelt 3400 in a Alder block up Bute Inlet around 1998

  312. #312skadill2011-11-13 19:30

    Link-Belt 4300 C series 2 loader Long Live the Logging link-Belts!taken a couple months ago.The quantum 3400 above was a very modern and advanced machine at that time,they seem to have almost dissapeared skadill youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/skadill

  313. #313Born2clearcut2011-11-14 08:06

    That 3400 hoechucked until it was wore out ,then got a rebuild and a 750 LogMax processor head put on it and was sent out to fall trees and process them , That pretty much killed it . Now it sits in a dryland sort sorting logs

  314. #314Hayesno12011-11-16 16:21

    A few pics of a Hough 80 loader in Squamish 2010

  315. #315skadill2011-11-18 00:15

    1978 Caterpillar 235 A rare sight,and a good find,taken this month.The bottom pic is shared and what they looked like new at the Caterpillar yard 35 years ago.

  316. #316morepork tree's2011-11-18 15:25

    here r some road builders in nz

  317. #317skadill2011-11-19 22:09

    Lazy Log Loader Kobelco LL taken by a friend at Squamish,B.C.

  318. #318Born2clearcut2011-11-20 08:17

    Kamatsu Looks like the ole girl has paid its due's and its time for some R&R (rust and relax )

  319. #319SPMiller2011-11-20 14:37

    171, hasn't moved in awhile. Taken yesterday

  320. #320skadill2011-11-21 00:53

    Hitachi LL RB auction photo from the 80's.The yellowish prentice grapple on the above 171 was mine,sold to these guys in 2007,was originally off someones 245 cat

  321. #321Wolf2011-11-26 12:55

    Do they still use it for demo ever?

  322. #322skadill2011-11-26 20:46

    Link-Belt Mill Loader,taken a month ago. http://www.youtube.com/user/skadill

  323. #323Gyppo Logger2011-11-27 09:46

    Here are a couple shots of a shiny new Cat 586 at the summit of Snoqualmie Pass yesterday 11-26-11. It appeared to be headed east; the lowboy was from Yakima......I didn't know there was any wood in that area to justify such a beautiful beast.

  324. #324John C.2011-11-27 15:05

    Most of the logging down in that area is on the Yakima Indian Reservation. There's no grapple on it. Thanks for the picts.

  325. #325skadill2011-11-27 17:48

    A Rare Link-Belt I re-photoed 1200 plus old RB auction flyer pics onto film yesterday from the 70's and newer,and this one stood out as one of the oddest pics.This one was in Alberta.,never seen or heard of these before. http://www.youtube.com/user/skadill

  326. #326John C.2011-11-27 21:54

    That is a Risley Rotosaw installed on the Link-Belt shovel. Those heads didn't compete real well with the hot saws in this area and I've only seen one or two. I think I might have seen the shovel at some time though. As I recall Tobin logging had one back in the mid nineties. Thanks for posting it.

  327. #327JTL2011-11-28 00:36

    Here are a few from this summer when I was running around the Toutle River country.

  328. #3280752011-11-28 00:39

    Our newest Deere geting a good work out

  329. #329Choker man2011-11-28 01:33

    Nice looking super snorkel in the background of the last couple of pictures. Also nice looking Deere.

  330. #330SPMiller2011-11-28 05:59

    Awesome! More please. :notworthy

  331. #3310752011-11-28 15:08

    Swing bearing failure ,hanging on to log to keep from falling off

  332. #332John C.2011-11-28 23:15

    The bearing may be bad but it didn't fail. The top flange on the carbody is broke loose. Those gussets make me think this was a progressive that someone knew about and figured it only had to go a couple of months more. Lucky this machine wasn't pulling out of the chute on a high lead operation. The house could have had quite a tumble. Thanks for the photos.

  333. #333JeremyM702011-11-28 23:27

    Looks like first Madill on the C&C lowboy is Weyco, and the last two Deere's may be Hadallers? Not sure on the Linkbelt and Kobelco? Cool pics thanks for sharing.

  334. #334JTL2011-11-29 21:27

    You are correct sir! The Kobelco was also on Hadaller's job. I actually met Jason and Cherie that day when I was up there. Damn nice people. We drank a few beers, cussed, dissussed, logged and built road all over the world that evening! The Link Belt was up were the TY-90 was at. I'll get some more up when I get them resized from my tours over there shortly.

  335. #335JTL2011-11-29 22:38

    Heres a couple more from the Toutle area.

  336. #336JeremyM702011-12-03 13:19

    These are great pics Jason, thanks for sharing! Haven't met the Hadallers yet, looks like they have alot of green machines. Nice day up at the TY90 landing too.

  337. #337skadill2011-12-03 22:56

    Caterpillar 325D Combo machine.Taken this summer. http://youtube.com/user/skadill

  338. #338skadill2011-12-15 00:30

    Line Loader An old 'Forestland Industries' cable machine photo from an equipment friend, taken about 10 years ago near Squamish.youube channel http://youtube.com/user/skadill

  339. #339skadill2011-12-23 01:05

    line Loader Link-Belt LS98 log loader/snorkel .Taken around 1996. http://youtube.com/user/skadill

  340. #340TorkelH2011-12-23 05:34

    I don't kn ow too much about excavators, but how did this happen? Is it normal they go off in the welding like this, and does the bearing come with the top flange as a part or is it a weld on thing? How do you repair this?

  341. #341Scott S2011-12-23 09:30

    Our new Kobelco 295 at Feenaughty getting finished up. We expect delivery after after the 1st.

  342. #342Scott S2011-12-23 09:49

    Found this in Feenaghty's shop yesterday. The Keto always available for use, never seen anything like it before.

  343. #343hoechucker2011-12-23 12:21

    That's gotta be a front heavy son of a gun.talk about hard on a machine.but definitely interesting.

  344. #3440752011-12-23 20:20

    another Deere just lost its bearing this week, broke a bunch of bolts and is cracked up pretty bad. The 075 that I run cracked 3/4 of the way around this summer and took 3 days of welding to fix it.Had a brace in the belly pan crack and it just beer canned the rest of the way. As for the other Deere they changed the bearing and did much welding.We have a lot of our Kobelcos do the same thing.

  345. #345skadill2011-12-23 22:45

    Buncher Tigercat 870C feller buncher.Taken a couple days ago. http://youtube.com/user/skadill

  346. #346skadill2011-12-29 00:52

    Forgotten picture of a Koehring The missing shared photo from post #339.The machine was north of Pemberton,not in Squamish. http://youtube.com/user/skadill

  347. #347Wdonaldson2011-12-29 21:57

    Hitachi EX270 Roadbuilder Hello all, I have been enjoying all your logging photo's for quite some time now and I bought a scanner today so I could add some of my pictures of working on the Island. I can't seem to figure out how to get my pictures from my file to this screen, any ideas?

  348. #348Scott S2011-12-29 22:31

    I think you need to make 5 posts before the system will allow you to add photos. Scott S

  349. #349Wdonaldson2011-12-29 22:38

    Thanks for the reply.

  350. #350Wdonaldson2011-12-30 17:05

    Hitachi UH16 Roadbuilder in Nanaimo Lakes. Machine was Owned by Ballegeer Bulldozing on contract for Timber West.

  351. #351Wdonaldson2011-12-30 17:17

    Hitachi EX400 building road at Nainaimo Lakes. Owner was Timber West.

  352. #352HCF2011-12-30 17:21

    Wow. That 400 is quite a machine. I bet you could really pull some stumps with that thing. I love all the guarding on these BC machines.

  353. #353Wdonaldson2011-12-30 17:22

    John Deere 892 Roadbuilder, deactivating roud out in the Copper Canyon area for Timber West.

  354. #354SPMiller2011-12-31 05:19

    Awesome photos! More please! Love the classic deeres and hitachis!

  355. #355skadill2011-12-31 19:52

    New Old Hitachi Log Loader Shared photo.UH series. http://youtube.com/user/skadill

  356. #356Logboss12012-01-01 04:14

    PC 228 Gisborne NZ 19000 hrs and still going strong.

  357. #357Wdonaldson2012-01-01 11:57

    Hitachi EX450 Roadbuilder.

  358. #358Wdonaldson2012-01-01 12:10

    Caterpillar 966E Loader skidding engine out of the shop.Engine is a Waukesha 12VAT-27GL(3550 HP) with a fresh overhaul.

  359. #359Choker man2012-01-01 13:24

    Is that engine used in the oil field pumping stations or a locomotive application?

  360. #360Wdonaldson2012-01-01 13:56

    The engine is spark ignited and burns natural gas, it is used to drive a natural gas compressor at a compressor station north of Fort Nelson BC. The main water pump failed and started leaking coolant into the crank case and spun multiple main bearings. The block had to be machined and a new cranckshaft was installed.

  361. #361Greatwestcam2012-01-01 23:44

    some machines seen this summer 2011

  362. #362skadill2012-01-02 23:58

    Classic B.C. Roadbuilder 235 Cat.Fresh photo. http://youtube.com/user/skadill

  363. #363SPMiller2012-01-03 22:13

    3 pieces, 3 different places, all with lots of more to come from each location

  364. #364SPMiller2012-01-04 23:45

    Hard to take photos right now, with old snow locally, as well as some centimeters getting new snow, Got a whole wack of madill stuff coming.

  365. #365cutting edge2012-01-05 00:21

    LOL....you stopped in Quesnel,didnt you?

  366. #366SPMiller2012-01-05 00:34

    I was like a kid in a candy shop. I should of spent more time down there, apparently leaving prince george early this morning was a bad idea. I'm sure you heard about the logging trucks on the caribou?

  367. #367log frog2012-01-05 00:47

    Cat backspar Spotted near Merrit BC

  368. #368cutting edge2012-01-05 00:58

    Yeah...followed one of them home on the hook....dont know how that driver survived. Give me some more warning next time youre passing through town...I'll show you around.

  369. #369SPMiller2012-01-05 01:02

    Yeah, I there a few minutes after it happened, he was just climbing out, little shaken up quite the story though. RCMP took like a couple hours to respond, showed up, walked around, looked important and left. Photos in the other thread. And will do. I'm in camp in a few weeks, so maybe in spring.

  370. #370Wdonaldson2012-01-05 18:21

    Here is a Mitsubishi roadbuilder owed by ballegeer bulldozing at the time of the picture. I dont know were the machine ended up, it was a very heavy machine. I think it was a 45 ton size machine.

  371. #371skadill2012-01-05 21:13

    Roadbuilder 345B Cat roadbuilder,taken this afternoon,just driving by. http://youtube.com/user/skadill

  372. #372csquared2012-01-05 22:54

    same person who put the bridge in, and built the road on the left side off the hope/princeton, just out of hope?

  373. #373spitzair2012-01-05 23:10

    Here's a few I took over the last couple days... The Hein Werner is mine, the other three aren't... Would be nice if they were though... I'd just LOVE to add the Prentice to my collection of obscure things

  374. #374spitzair2012-01-05 23:14

    'Couple more...

  375. #375JTL2012-01-06 13:39

    One question for you Canandian boys. I have noticed on all yer hoes, the thumbs don't have the progessive links on them. And for the most part they only have two teeth on them. Whats the story there? I ran a two tooth thumb on 790 JD that came into the states a few years back and thought it was the most unproductive boat anchor you could get on a machine, right next to a fixed thumb.

  376. #376SPMiller2012-01-06 21:48

    Just to confirm this is the thumb in question? Okay so you're explanation. I hate them too,they're stupid and don't work. And they're always or were originally attached to some pos CAT. As far as I know that's how cat designed their thumb, and mass produced it, then someone made knocks offs and flooded the market. My 450D has a Daewoo thumb, love it to death. four fingers, good arch on them. Yes it's direct link. and it's strong. Sorry for the crappy photo, but I don't get out of my machine when it's light out we're too low on man power. We work dark until dark.

  377. #377JTL2012-01-06 22:38

    Your thumb pic looks alot like a leaking fuel tank! This is like I was refering to.

  378. #378JTL2012-01-06 22:44

    Here are few shots of our hoes over the last few years on a couple differnt road jobs. Granted our road are few and far between. Landfills are more of our forte anymore.

  379. #379SPMiller2012-01-06 23:56

    Okay that's what i meant. I have a question for you, what's with all the pin grabbers!

  380. #380spitzair2012-01-07 00:29

    You see pretty much any configuration of thumb around here, from the mechanical ones to 4 fingered progressive thumbs, and anything and everything in between. I guess it really all depends on what the customer wants and what he can afford, what's available, etc. so no real rhyme or reason for it is my guess. My EX200-2 has a direct link 2 finger thumb and it works fine for what I do, I used a friends JD200 with a progressive link thumb a few years ago and while it reached around farther it didn't seem to have the gripping power that my direct link thumb does. Now my next question for you is do you happen to have more pictures and info on the blade setup on the JD200 in those pictures? Is that the same one we discussed a few years ago in the 200 with a blade thread? Cheers

  381. #381cutting edge2012-01-07 01:11

    Its a murican thing.... ....and you have a Daequip thumb......nice gear IMO.

  382. #382JTL2012-01-07 01:16

    We have a slew of different buckets we run on our hoes. The 330's and smaller all have at least 4 different attachments for them. Swivel buckets, toothy buckets (big, small), hammers, and hoe packs. They are all set up with quick attach hyd. hoses. We scrafice a littlle bit, but its a hell of alot easier than beating pins back and forth a couple times a day. I once changed from a smooth face to a hoe pack 8 times one day on a 312.

  383. #383cutting edge2012-01-07 01:16

    I think you could get a 225C or ZX225 with a blade special order,which tells me that there has to be a rotary manifold available to run a blade. The aux plumbing part in the cab and CV and the fab and welding is the easy part...finding the manifold is the key.

  384. #384JTL2012-01-07 01:20

    Like our pres. said awhile back..Us Americans have become lazy over the last decade! And yes spitair, thats the same 200 we disscused a few years ago. I'll have a look and se if I can find a few more pictures of it. I hadnt been around that hoe for 3 years untill this last summer, and I had it on 3 different jobs. I'm sure theres a pic or two of it somewhere.

  385. #385JTL2012-01-07 01:58

    Heres a couple more pictures of that blade equiped 200. The blade is off an old 12F grader we scrapped out. The cylinders came of something?? The blade is plumped into a seperate circut in the hyd system, and is operated off of a Sure Grip on the left joystick.

  386. #386SPMiller2012-01-07 22:13

    Accidentally took a picture of my thumb today. Only bummer is it doesn't close all the way with the clean bucket. That being said is, it's a little big of a machine to do finicky work with.. ointhead:bash

  387. #387spitzair2012-01-07 23:07

    I just love that 200 with a blade! It sure would be nice to have one on mine but with the high and wide undercarriage I don't think it would be very practical...

  388. #388Wdonaldson2012-01-08 03:45

    (Post 387) Just wondering where these pics were taken? and wondering if that is a dugout for an oilfield lease? It looks like oilpatch country.

  389. #389PFS2012-01-08 19:52

    In a couple years time we're hoping to put a bucket on it, and used it to maintain trucking roads. we'll put a grapple back on it if we need some help shoveling.

  390. #390skadill2012-01-20 16:17

    Chucker/Loaders Volvo at Campbell River,B.C.,JD at RB auction. http://youtube.com/user/skadill

  391. #391BDFT2012-01-20 22:42

    Dinosaur 300 Komatsu that I'm running this winter. Yes that's the idler and the track I'm carrying with me. Needs new undercarriage.

  392. #392dirty4fun2012-01-21 11:27

    Silly me I thoought those track things went around and around. How does it turn, pretty good one way. To funny, thanks for sharing.

  393. #393skadill2012-01-25 00:42

    Cat Gear Good looking Cat iron.Taken recent. http://youtube.com/user/skadill

  394. #394skadill2012-02-02 23:44

    Caterpillar 568 Roadbuilder Taken yesterday,Working video of machine http://www.youtube.com/user/skadill#p/u/4/hcAjZhWxrZk

  395. #395JTL2012-02-03 03:22

    Awesome! those 568's are a very impressive machine. The whole being able to dig and travel at the same time is old school Madill thinking at best! This is the first one I've seen in road builder mode. It still just baffeles me though the small buckets and non-link, two tine thumb. One of these days you Canadian's will get it together!!

  396. #396dirty4fun2012-02-03 05:44

    A good looking machine, looks like it it getting the job done in some rocky digging.

  397. #397csquared2012-02-03 17:54

    568's look good. I'm surprised they are not vented by the hyd pump tho? looks like a 2 twine thumb so you can curl the stick in and not hit the boom with the thumb. Will be interesting to see how the 568's and the new 5-8 series competes with the dhsp products. 320's are little light and dont have enough hyd and power to run a 622b. The 2054's and 200F's were leaps and bounds better processors and loaders than the 320c or d. Not even a close competition to compare them to a 2154 now. 324d fm's are about par with a 2154, yet the 324 with a 622b will run you at least 50k-75 more than a 2154. I have got to get the picture uploader working and post our 21 and 2454s

  398. #398skadill2012-02-03 23:55

    Old Hitachi UH-171 Roadbuilder Ex-Interfor Grade Hoe,taken a week ago. http://youtube.com/user/skadill

  399. #399lg junior2012-02-04 11:45

    A 240LX with a Waratah head. Sorry about the bad picture but I have a hard time keeping up with him, not much time for a walk around.

  400. #400roadbuilder62012-02-04 16:29

    love the 568

  401. #401skadill2012-02-05 00:29

    John Deere 892 E Chucker Lady Driven.Working video at http://www.youtube.com/user/skadill#p/u/4/Kqwm59LY-m4

  402. #402skadill2012-02-06 00:13

    Prentice 810B Log Loader Taken last month.video at http://www.youtube.com/user/skadill#p/u/4/p1cI6lT65MM

  403. #403lg junior2012-02-08 21:55

    Here is a Daewoo stroker, picture was taken today. Not many good things said about it.

  404. #404furpo2012-02-09 02:45

    Komatsu with Woodsman processor Very nice machine. 40T Komatsu with the Woodsman processing head.

  405. #405JTL2012-02-09 03:40

    Interesting looking machine furpo. Almost looks like an old 475 Timbco/Valmet. I know Komatsu now owns the Valmet line. But I never heard of a Woodsman head before. Is that a down under thing? That machine looks tuff!

  406. #40669hayes2012-02-10 23:05

    Campbell River,last month

  407. #407Pine Logger2012-02-10 23:43

    I Like your Machine Trakloader

  408. #408prolog nz2012-02-11 04:27

    The woodsman is built here in Rotorua NZ by EMS they build the cabs bonnet gaurding and booms aswell as the heads. check out there website http://www.woodsmanpro.co.nz/default.aspx

  409. #409BDFT2012-02-11 23:05

    Old Hitachi EX270LL still flailing logs onto trucks. Day and night.

  410. #410SPMiller2012-02-13 21:05

    Where abouts in NW BC are you?

  411. #411BDFT2012-02-13 21:23

    I live in Telkwa. Pictures were taken halfway between Telkwa and Houston just off the Barren Creek FSR.

  412. #412furpo2012-02-15 02:38

    Yeah it is a very nice bit of kit. What is impressive is that it is nearly a year old in that photo and does not have a bend in it. It was falling every day. I hope the new owner likes it as much as the old.

  413. #413skadill2012-02-17 00:52

    Rusted,Retired,Burned out Roadbuilder Taken a few weeks ago. http://youtube.com/user/skadill

  414. #414skadill2012-02-18 22:59

    Early Roadbuilders From a 1979 Ritchie Brothers auction flyer at Surrey,B.C. .The Company that had these was called Rainbow Mountain Roadbuilders,up till that point.If anyone knows any history,or who they worked for let us know.Thes were definitely the first generation of roadbuilding excavators used,and represented a very modern fleet for 1979.The bottom one appears to have shovel type pads.Strangest Company color to ever be seen in the woods as well,obviously all were custom painted. http://youtube.com/user/skadill

  415. #415log frog2012-02-24 13:03

    New 325 FM Arrived today

  416. #416skadill2012-02-24 23:59

    Butt'n'Top Loader Shared pic.Brand New loader, decades ago.Looks like its big for a 235,could be it's a 245 http://youtube.com/user/skadill

  417. #417Scott_5272012-02-25 18:59

    Hey Skadill, can you shine any light on the 330D in oast 394? Looks like a Link Belt cab on it or something

  418. #418John C.2012-02-25 19:24

    I've always been a little baffled about those butt-n-top grapples used in Canada. What are the advantages and disadvantages of them. I've never seen one used in the states.

  419. #419log frog2012-02-25 20:17

    Me too. I have a friend in Canada who swears by them, and wonders why we would use anything else. I can see the advantages in loading small and long wood, but I think we'll be sticking to swinging grapple/heel. Strange people those Canadians

  420. #420csquared2012-02-25 21:35

    One day the rest of the world will catch on to the fixed grapples. Today with a fixed"clam" grapple I dug a trail across a steep hill, pushed over a dozen or so trees,the bunch couldn't get to. Then hoechucked them to where a skidder could grab them.as well as rehabbed the trail. With one machine. Tough to do that with a "swinging" grapple and with one machine. I will get a video of our clams loading big wood for you frog! 6m part prunes!

  421. #421csquared2012-02-25 21:37

    Same goes for rear entry cabs! One day the rest of the world will catch on!

  422. #422skadill2012-02-25 22:47

    Hitachi UH-181 Ex-Roadbuilder on gravel duty.Taken last year,Whos colors were these? http://youtube.com/user/skadill

  423. #423BDFT2012-02-25 23:17

    A heel boom loads over the back of the truck. On steep ground they are the only way to load. The butt-and-top loads over the side of the truck, see my pics a few posts earlier. To load with a butt-and-top you need relatively flat ground and the wood should be processed by a processor for best results. The outriggers on the grapple allow you to pick up a large grapple full of wood and straighten it out in the grapple as you swing towards the truck. Its not unheard of for a good loader operator to load 18-20 40-50 cubic meter loads in a day.Typically, in these types of logging operations, the loader operator will seldom see the skidders and never see the bunchers. I have loaded truck with heel booms, butt-and-tops and clam grapples, they all have their advantages and disadvantages like anything else. As for rear entry cabs, they are the only way to go. You southerners will learn eventually.

  424. #424furpo2012-02-26 03:20

    Some contractors in KT have set ups similar to that grapple for loading stems to the Webb rd yard. Usually they are on 40T size machines and those guys load fast. I wish I had a picture handy. I quite like the look of the rear entry cab. They look like they are less prone to scratches on the windows from branches etc. Are they usually a factory option?

  425. #425Scott S2012-02-26 08:18

    The difference between rear and side entry cabs is about $15,000 on a new purchase.

  426. #426csquared2012-02-26 09:41

    Atleast 15 000 difference from side to a rear entry. I think our old 322c it was a 30 000 option at the time. Now I believe finning orders all there machines standerd with rear entry as well as brandt. Our main loaderman is pushin 60 years old, so as far as safety and easy access, rear entry can't be beat. The cabs have way more room in them as well, but that's good and bad as you have to have a bigger a/c to keep it cool.

  427. #427log frog2012-02-26 11:43

    Are the rear entry's necessary by Canadian Law? I sure liked the look of the one's I saw at your outfit. 'Cept for the colour, that is.

  428. #428JTL2012-02-26 11:46

    Haven't they become a mandantory down in Oregon as well Scott? I had heard that OROSHA was pushing that way, but don't know the details. So on that rear entry cab note..why not just buy a Madill. They come that way?

  429. #429Scott S2012-02-26 11:59

    Not mandatory yet, I purchased this one first of this year.

  430. #430John C.2012-02-26 13:05

    The rear entry cabs have for the most part been rejected in the states for now. No one ever produced any statistics that proved there was a reason to pay all that extra money and put all that extra weight on. The fall injuries from the side entry units just didn't happen. The only company that I know of that required them for awhile was the lazy W and even they quit on that now. What is happening now is roll over protective structures are being required. It is standard on Cat FM machines now. Somewhere I have photos of a machine that rolled down a draw hitting on the cab several times and both the machine and the operator survived. I still don't get the Butt-N-Top grapples though. If you have to be on flat ground and only load over the side, then the only thing these are good for is yard work handling pecker poles and pulp logs. The other issue I see with them is being able to balance a load on the trailer when you can only see one side.

  431. #431BDFT2012-02-26 22:01

    That's what we log here. Bug killed pine. All winter I haven't seen a tree bigger than 12" on the butt and more than 60' long. All dead snags. Lodgepole pine can be 8" on the butt and 6" at 50', Just like a chunk of rope. Try loading that with a heelboom. All you will do is make short logs. Butt-n-tops were specifically designed for roadside logging like we do here in central and northern BC and in northern Alberta. How does 250 pieces to the load sound? I seen some of those go out last week.

  432. #432John C.2012-02-26 23:17

    With that many pieces to a load down here they would chip it in the woods and take it out in a walking floor trailer. At least you are doing something with your bug kill. Down here the greens have it all tied up in the woods doing nothing but making more bug dust.

  433. #433Wdonaldson2012-02-29 19:16

    Volvo 2924 Roadbuilder in Chetwynd B.C

  434. #434SPMiller2012-02-29 22:07

    Hey a local!

  435. #435Wdonaldson2012-02-29 22:14

    Ya it was South of Chetwynd near Gwilliam Lake. Nice looking machine

  436. #436HCF2012-02-29 22:15

    I don't think they're required until 2013 or 2014. There are only a few cab manufacturers that make OROSHA approved forestry cabs. I know for sure that madill and Tigercat are not on the list.

  437. #437Wdonaldson2012-03-03 12:19

    Komatsu PC300 roadbuilder.

  438. #438SPMiller2012-03-06 22:56

    A different feller buncher.

  439. #439skadill2012-03-07 00:34

    Oldbuilders 1980's photos from used sales publications.The UH seems to have found itself one very large spruce log. http://youtube.com/user/skadill

  440. #440HCF2012-03-08 00:48

    These are really cool. I always thought it would be cool to build a road builder out of a leveling buncher. It would most likely throw the geometry of the whole machine off but it would be a nice machine for piling brush and building road.

  441. #441dblott2012-03-10 14:25

    I've thought about using a leveling buncher as an excavator base also. Seems like it would work, at least for brushing,decking and pioneering. Heavy or large excavating projects would probably show us any flaws in the design. I might expect over relieving of the tilt circuits, and maybe damage to the tilt cylinders due the leverage from the increased distance from boom foot to track frame. Advantages? -I'm picturing a generic leveling feller buncher (insert your own favorite brand). Instead of a front shovel, lets use an excavator front (boom, reach stick, bucket, link-thumb, and might as well add a hyd. quick coupler to give us versatility ). The ability to tilt would probably allow you another 4-5' reach, (which would get you back to what the increased boom foot height took from digging depth) Although you may have to crowd in closer before you could level up. Rear mounted boom foot reduces need for counterweight and eliminates tail-swing and I would also think would make for a very smooth "ride". I would be suprised if someone hasn't already tried it, afterall, in 1968, Erv Drott thought up putting a shear on an excavator and look where that took us! I've ran 2520 Timberjack (eng down) with a 20" shear, and a Cat227 with a shovel front and a 27" roto-saw head. The 2520 was a fun machine to run and I cut some pretty steep sideslope r/w's with it. The roto saw was an improvement to the cutting as long as there were no leaks in the cutting circut. That was a challenge rarely achieved. The worst thing about our 227 was it was painfully weak and slow in the travel department even on a reconstruct. Oh well, you use what you have... Both those machines are long gone now. Once we bought a 920 loader from an auction once, which had a shear on it. Don't remember seeing it ever cutting a tree, but I vaguely remember hearing that the boss tried it out on a reconstruct. It must not have impressed him since it ended up with a bucket on it. Sorry I never took a camera to work, as I figured the dust or rattling around in the pickup would ruin it. Not so anymore! Smaller digital cameras and better sealed cabs removed that excuse. How's this: We ordered this 325D FM a year ago, arrived in Sept, finally got it out on a job after the Jan storm. I have 221 hours on it now! July 1st 2014 is the date Or-OSHA has set for this cab to be the requirement for use in forestry applications as in Division 7 sect H-17. Most of the details involve machines manufactured after 2004, with exemptions preceeding back to 1994. Gets a little confusing as reading material. We got this one while the Tier 3 motor was still available.

  442. #44230 B2012-03-10 21:00

    You could put an excavator boom on a Tigercat L855 and you would have a 300 hp leveling excavator with a ton of swing tourqe

  443. #443JTL2012-03-11 10:15

    There was an outfit up here in North Idaho that had a couple of 231 Cats that they shop built a leveling system for. They used them as bunchers, as well as road builders. The leveler was a very well built, sturdy, heavy duty set-up. I spent a little time working around it, but never thought to take any pictures. That was probablly 15 years ago. If I remember right, there was 2 big cylinders mounted by the finals, attached to a big plate under the carbody that was built into the rotex tree. There was a big piano hinge on the front of it. It would only level front to back. Didn't have the abillity to sideways level, I don't think??? The outfit shut thier logging operations down a few years ago, and they are doing custom granite boulder work these days. I don't know if they have any of the old machinery left or not. Since today is such a crappy day, I might take a drive by their quarry and have a look

  444. #444roadbuilder62012-03-11 10:16

    That 325 is awesome i wish i had one

  445. #445dblott2012-03-11 10:58

    Hi JTL, When I saw HCF's post, it reminded me of thinking that same about that kind of configuration. I couldn't help speculating on it. Not actually planning on building one. Seeing some pics would be neat and I figured someone out there had to have already done such a build. Just hope I haven't wasted your time and fuel.

  446. #446dblott2012-03-11 11:25

    Yes it is. Still working a few minor bugs out. Overall I'm pleased with it. I ran a B model Roadbuilder for the last 10 years, and it still is an excellent machine. I hope this one is built as well. So far I like what I see and feel. I wanted to add to the cab requirement stuff the guys were talking about,so I threw that pic in.

  447. #447roadbuilder62012-03-11 11:51

    Cool, do you have any videos

  448. #448dblott2012-03-11 14:16

    LOL. I'm just learning pictures and now you want moving ones? No videos yet, but if I borrow my brother-in-laws helmet cam...

  449. #449JTL2012-03-11 19:38

    No fuel or time wasted at all man! Their quarry is only a few miles from the house, and I swung by there on the way home from having breakfast. Unfortuneatley, the only machines they have in there is a old Komatsu D85 dozer, a 312 hoe and a 966. They could have very well sold those 231's by now.

  450. #450hiluxman2012-03-18 13:40

    Snice this is about forest excavators here is one most of you guys have never seen a jcb backspar but why are the drums bigger then the ones we have in bc. [video=youtube;oyYrOmIB-BA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyYrOmIB-BA[/video]

  451. #451hiluxman2012-03-18 13:46

    one more you will not see in bc a jcb with a processer[video=youtube;4ec9Y8e4xaA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ec9Y8e4xaA&feature=plcp&context=C44eed64VDvjVQa1PpcFP_NWXF80WHLTBJp1tZNAyY E51M2vyykpo%3D[/video]

  452. #452SPMiller2012-03-18 18:45

    Photos taken on friday, shared.

  453. #453skadill2012-03-23 23:27

    Hitachi Zaxis 200 powerclam Taken a month ago. http://youtube.com/user/skadill

  454. #454Greatwestcam2012-03-25 15:25

    a bit different saw this the other day, thought it was kind of different.

  455. #455BDFT2012-03-25 19:32

    What, exactly, would the point of that be? Looks like the answer to a question nobody asked.

  456. #456SPMiller2012-03-26 02:48

    on another note, have a whole bunch of fancy one off forestry contraptions i stumble upon over the past few days

  457. #457SPMiller2012-03-26 23:21

    Only been demo'd, still shiny. Had to get it before it disappears for it's new owners into the forest.

  458. #458SPMiller2012-03-26 23:23

    Sitting less then a mile away and at a different stage in life.. retired cat by FortressPacific , on Flickr

  459. #459SPMiller2012-03-26 23:25

    More retirees, will go into the yard when I have time.. equipment boneyard by FortressPacific , on Flickr Logging gear by FortressPacific , on Flickr equipment boneyard by FortressPacific , on Flickr

  460. #460SPMiller2012-03-26 23:40

    And last from me for today, just off the lowbed intown for break up. Caterpillar d8N by FortressPacific , on Flickr

  461. #461skadill2012-03-30 18:55

    Old American Line Loader Taken a couple months ago.Video walk around at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2SEAoVHtwM&feature=plcp&context=C495ea30VDvjVQa1PpcFNPXpKmZePFublWQ-wTCHDI5T0qyI2AjBI%3D

  462. #4620752012-03-30 22:48

    Love that green shag carpet in the cab

  463. #463Choker man2012-03-31 02:24

    The picture shows the area under the cab riser that was accessible from the side rather than from the rear of the riser. Also the side steps that got up to the cab were a straight step across rather than a step into no mans land. The back stop was angle iron and not a solid back stop. Hard to see if the backstop had springs to cushion the hits of the logs.

  464. #464SPMiller2012-04-02 03:06
  465. #465SPMiller2012-04-03 19:08

    Kijiji hoes! hitachi's for sale for 12k.

  466. #466skadill2012-04-12 01:25

    Prentice RT 600 Log Loader On display,taken jan.2012.Video at; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maCTwwJhoH8&list=UUXUrfE0iAXFp8qfKNBQhrLA&index=1&feature=plcp

  467. #467BDFT2012-04-21 23:41

    Komatsu 360 piling for skidders last winter. A herd of strokers at a local contractors shop.

  468. #468SPMiller2012-04-22 16:02

    That looks like north eastern BC! haha.

  469. #469Sawdus222012-04-22 18:00

    Really great thread guys! Very nice equipment on here

  470. #470DoosanFan2012-04-23 01:13

    "A herd of strokers..." I like that lol

  471. #471skadill2012-04-24 18:26

    Cat EL300LL Sort Yard Machine.Recent photo.video at: http://youtu.be/gXPDQHcLCn8

  472. #472skadill2012-04-28 21:29

    Tigercat 880 Log Loader Taken a couple weeks ago.Video look at: http://youtu.be/74hGHIoXqks

  473. #473Greatwestcam2012-05-01 23:03

    UNIT log loader old timer at rest, like the joining of the two frames of the carrier.

  474. #474csquared2012-05-06 03:06

    I recently saw a 3850c for sale in new zealand, but the pictures weren't from NZ?

  475. #475hoechucker2012-05-06 11:35

    Sender had a 3850c advertised for quite a while,looked a little rough but might've been a fun logging shovel to play on.

  476. #476lg junior2012-05-06 20:30

    Here's an oldie, 40 years and still going!

  477. #477SPMiller2012-05-11 02:57

    Second time loading this truck, put all the craddle logs straight this time.

  478. #478awful knawful2012-05-11 19:38

    what makes an excavator a "roadbuilder"?

  479. #479Vigilant2012-05-11 19:56

    That chassis in post #474 almost looks like it came from the factory with that Emoryville cab. What a strange looking contraption.

  480. #480BDFT2012-05-11 20:48

    Extra guarding, highwalker undercarriage and sometimes a different cab. Sometimes they have a small cab riser. Almost always they have a thumb. They used to be just excavators with extra guarding welded on but now they are purpose built at the factory.

  481. #481awful knawful2012-05-11 21:04

    OK. Thanks for the explanation.

  482. #482John C.2012-05-11 22:28

    Actually they are still excavators with more guarding and a little different carbody. Typical package build up includes high and wide undercarriage, swivel guard, full length standard or forestry rock guards, reinforced front idler pockets, bottom rollers for top rollers, many times heavier recoil spring ratings, full under-house guarding, right corner log guard, hard doors for the pump and radiator compartments, eighteen inch solid cab riser or forty eight inch hydraulic tilting cab riser, full cab guard, heavy duty bucket, forestry hydraulic link thumb and usually some sort of extra lighting package. What they generally are is a logging shovel build up without the logging front. These units came about because the rules for building roads in the woods changed to prevent spoil from being pitched down the mountainsides by dozers. Basically if you have a cut you have to haul the material to storage and then use it for fill somewhere else. The excavators took that job away from the D6 and larger sized dozers. As you can see from all the posts in this thread, these are extremely handy machines for road building in the woods.

  483. #483Greatwestcam2012-05-12 22:17

    Chapman 1800 Remember when these were said to be the best juicer loader in the bush. were they? I remember them for throwing a jag on fast and smooth.

  484. #484Born2clearcut2012-05-13 09:47

    322c

  485. #485Born2clearcut2012-05-13 09:51

    Couple 330's

  486. #486JTL2012-05-13 11:59

    I'd like to get my meat hooks on a 312 sized machine with one of those power grapples on it. I just bought 10 acres of ground that I wanna start parking out. That would be alot handier that a thumb and bucket for what I wanna do.

  487. #487SPMiller2012-05-15 16:39

    880 in final assembly. Off the TC group.

  488. #488SPMiller2012-05-17 13:40

    Old Roadbuilding gear resting. IMG_2770 by FortressPacific , on Flickr

  489. #489SPMiller2012-05-17 15:01

    New Cat..

  490. #490SPMiller2012-05-20 20:49
  491. #491SPMiller2012-05-20 20:52
  492. #492lg junior2012-05-20 21:21

    This last one looks a lot like a 60C Lorain. There were some down this way with the Chapman undercarriage, but with different cabs. Good pictures keep them coming.

  493. #493KW850&T800H2012-05-29 00:54

    I have been driving that highway (hwy 5 north of Kamloops and south of my hometown Valemount) all my life and I have always wanted to stop for a closer look at that piece of history! I recognized it right away, thanks for posting! I wish they had cool history like that up here in northern Alberta...

  494. #494spitzair2012-05-29 13:10

    Here's a Wagner unloader I went and looked at the other day...

  495. #495csquared2012-05-31 22:28
  496. #496csquared2012-05-31 22:30
  497. #497csquared2012-05-31 22:33

    from my time in nz

  498. #498hiluxman2012-06-01 10:59

    Is that Hitachi with the two Deere in New Zealand if it's there pretty cool to have WAJAX stickers

  499. #499kiwi450x2012-06-02 06:13

    I think it would be a reasonably safe bet that the two Deere and the Hitachi aren't in NZ. I suspect that pic was supposed to be in one of the posts above it. Also a reasonable assumption that on of the Deeres is pictured being operated in the above posts. I notice you have a cast on your foot csquared, I like your commitment...

  500. #500csquared2012-06-03 00:35

    Kiwi450x is correct, that was a mix up in pictures. the processors are in b.c. And ya,, spent a few months working like that last year. came up a little short lake jumping on my bike.

  501. #501kiwi450x2012-06-03 06:30

    Yep, dirtbikes are dangerous. I've been known to hobble across the landing with cracked or broken ribs on a Monday morning. The boys don't have any sympathy either, they just know that I've splatted off my bike the day before... LOL Sorry about the off topic, but oh well... Back on topic though, I like the pics you put up, csquared. I could look at stuff like that all day.

  502. #502csquared2012-06-06 21:50

    reminds me of NZ,, part prune 6 meter! decks aren't as neat tho! log frog won't be impressed! lil 8 foot tongs, look small compared to this monster. 2954 deere with 12 foot grapple tongs

  503. #503csquared2012-06-06 22:04

    new power clam built/marketed by woodlands equipment. they call it a trend. 8.5 foot tongs decent grapple so far. doesn't close as tight as a cws tho. Cws is on a 2454 deere. Trend is on a 250 hyundai Big Stump puller in NZ. big stumps bigger digger

  504. #504csquared2012-06-06 22:06

    325d fm and 336dl with woodsman 800. southern north island nz

  505. #505csquared2012-06-06 22:08
  506. #506boardbysled2012-06-06 22:11

    Been surfing the site for quite a while and now actually have some material to post! All these pictures are from random contractors/owners in NW Washington.

  507. #507csquared2012-06-06 22:11

    big day pretty 909j last day of cutting.

  508. #508boardbysled2012-06-06 22:18

    Not so much a "roadbuilder," here is more of a bridge builder thats replacing one of our bridges.:tong

  509. #509boardbysled2012-06-06 22:25

    An old loader, maybe a Barko?

  510. #510hiluxman2012-06-07 21:25

    Those Hyundai juicers are real nice

  511. #511Greatwestcam2012-06-08 22:40

    Don't think this one will be ready for work on monday..lol.

  512. #512trainwreck2012-06-08 23:41

    just needs some paint and it will be running in no time. lol

  513. #513Born2clearcut2012-06-09 00:33

    Looks like she's beyond the 5 gallon rebuild lol

  514. #514hiluxman2012-06-09 01:05

    What's the story behind the burnt excavator

  515. #515BDFT2012-06-09 09:53

    Its a burnt Tigercat feller buncher. Bunchers are notorious for catching fire. They are full of bone dry twigs, moss, needles etc. Add a few oil leaks and a few hundred liters of diesel and away we go. They all have fire suppression systems built in but whether they work or not.......?

  516. #516boardbysled2012-06-11 00:22

    Hiett Logging Louis Nutter Trucking S&R Logging and Cutting

  517. #517csquared2012-06-13 23:13

    small wood gold rush bc!

  518. #518kiwi450x2012-06-14 06:06

    Good stuff, csquared. You've obviously covered some ground in your time. As an aside, I work just across the hill from Froglog...

  519. #519csquared2012-06-14 21:41

    ha ha. I'm just getting started. just turned 21 last week. Montana logging? or who. when i left a month ago, the 50 was in sea view, 6255 in ratahuia and ground base in waverly. and the year before that the 50 was in cdc and ground base in moonshine.

  520. #520skadill2012-06-15 00:12

    auction victims last year pics

  521. #521hiluxman2012-06-15 15:44

    skadill why whould they have a processer on a machine that small

  522. #522BDFT2012-06-15 19:19

    It probably works good in the small bug killed pine. Of which we still have millions and millions of cubic meters left to log.

  523. #523kiwi450x2012-06-15 21:02

    Yep, you got me csquared, the 6255 is looking at us now a couple of kms away.

  524. #524csquared2012-06-15 23:42

    ahh, hmm you worked with byron and kim before then

  525. #525kiwi450x2012-06-16 01:03

    Guilty as charged...

  526. #526log frog2012-06-17 02:15

    Princeton B.C. On a recent trip to Princeton, csquared showed me around and took me up to look at his operation. Kiwi450x, he may only be 21, but he's probably put in more hours operating, than you and I together! Rumour has it, his momma gave birth to him in the cab, and they didn't let him out till his 21st! Looking at the room in that Canadian cab, it would't suprise me. As you can see, he likes em green. Yup, thats 2 bunchers in this photo.

  527. #527kiwi450x2012-06-17 02:49

    Yep, it looks like he's picked up the odd thing here and there... I wasn't gonna bring his mom into it though, that's dangerous territory!!!!!! LOL!!! The green machines hold some appeal for me too but I'd probably struggle to get away from yellow these days. For the back up as much as anything else. (Here, anyway...) I could be talked into one of those Canadian rear entry cabs too. I've never tried one but the idea intrigues me...

  528. #528log frog2012-06-17 14:21

    I like the idea of those rear entry cabs too, they sure are roomy. No more crushing your sandwiches under the seat!

  529. #529John C.2012-06-17 15:14

    There rear entries are nice for the operators but add too much cost to the life cycle cost of the machines from what I've seen. All the electronics get moved around and sometimes the things that keep them intact don't get the same attention to detail that the factory does on standard machines. Harness connectors, loom routing and even things like the capacity of the air conditioning become intolerable problems. We had to double the capacity of the A/C systems and put tinting on all the windows, which brought some issues with safety people at times. I've had connectors disturbed and not making full contact in the connectors and some even had wires getting pulled out because there wasn't enough slack when tilting the cab. I had one machine where the loom got loose and when the cab was tilted back down it cut the loom at the riser and frame. The other issue I've seen is the extra weight on the slewing bearing. I've changed half a dozen where the balls have made impressions on the race and begun busting out the case hardening. You see the shiny particles in the grease at the bearing halves. Around here the Weyerhaeuser camps all required them except one manager at White River. He asked a basic question, "just how many lost time accidents have occurred from entry and egress from the side door cabs." When they looked at the records, there were none. That was the end of the rear entry for them. I haven't seen a new machine with a rear entry around here in more than five years. Love the photos, keep them coming!

  530. #530log frog2012-06-17 17:00

    Thanks John C, that's puts things in balance for me. Stands to reason that there would be more pressure on the slew bearing, there must be a lot of extra weight up there. Went for a ride with Csquared's daddy, shifting machines. Love that clam!

  531. #531csquared2012-06-17 17:01

    haha I'm not sure how to take that log frog...?? ill take it as a compliment? i figured you couldn't hold your silence and you would chime in eventually after seeing all that pretty green gear... one would look good in the fleet especially when goughs come out to do the next huei pump! few random shots of other contractors gear new 635d and 325d fm decking near kelowna bc. deere 3554 road builder with a clam deere 2954 decking for skidders near kelowna

  532. #532csquared2012-06-17 17:15

    knock on wood.. we have never had a problem directly related to rear entry cabs. We had a few leaking pilot hoses on a 322c but we have that on our excavators as well. We traded a undersized 210lc-3 hyundai off at over 20 000 hours of hard use( was the only loader for a long time doing somedays loading 35 trucks aday) and the swing bearing was finally due so we traded it off. Now with purpose build machines with rear entry coming factory direct as well as oversized swing gear, those problems are gone. Sure hyundai and volvo don't have factory rear entrys, but wayco manufacturing does all the rear entry cabs for those machines in western canada and they do a dam good job. hard to tell its not factory. ill get a picture from the doghouse johnc. everything is very tidy in them now. a lot tidier than 10 years ago. 1999 210LC-3.traded in last year and recently sold in rb chilliwack. headed back to the woods near 100 mile house. 2004 322C FM

  533. #533csquared2012-06-17 17:27

    1998 Deere 200LC conversion with waratah 20t. The machine i learned on. sitting at our shop, maybe making its way back to the bush soon. 17 700 hours currently 2000 Deere 200LC with 620 waratah warrior. One of the first models out of the DHSP shop in Langley B.C. They sure have gone along ways in 10 years! traded off 2 years ago..whereabouts unknown 2005 Volvo 210BF with an early 622B. Good machine for their time. the early 622b's where prone to cracks and had all types of reinforcement pieces that where to be welded on. Sold and working in port mcneil or campbel river maybe. 2008 Hitachi ZX200F with 622B. recently sold, working in the okanagan.

  534. #534csquared2012-06-17 17:40
  535. #535hiluxman2012-06-18 12:58

    Do the machines come with those custom cabs from the factory or do they take them off brand new

  536. #536skadill2012-06-19 22:59

    Komatsu PC250 Hoe chucker combo machine.Video walk around at; http://youtu.be/39PxzHigFN8

  537. #537log frog2012-06-22 20:20

    330b Cat 330B, 24000hrs, still looking good.

  538. #538JTL2012-06-23 02:18

    ^^One owner, one, mabey two different operators in this machines entire life.^^ Otherwise, how else can you expalin such a sweet looking shovel after that many ticks on the clock?!

  539. #539KW850&T800H2012-06-24 02:57

    There are two of these units with 20KM of me in northern Alberta.

  540. #540PFS2012-06-24 03:29

    The first machine (2 photo's) belongs to D.T Richards. He has multiple crews in this area (La Trobe Valley) Hardwood and Soft. The next 2 are of a brand new PC 300 owned by Darryl Hutton of ANC Forestry, which starred at Aus Timber (Nz and Aussies will likely know what that is). It's felling attachment is a Woodsman, not sure what though. The little digger is a load out machine and is also owned by Darryl Hutton.

  541. #541PFS2012-06-24 03:33

    These machines also owned by Darrl Hutton, are in a separate Hauler crew with a TTY 6170, down a skid track very wet after some 130mm + of rain.

  542. #542PFS2012-06-24 03:42

    These machines are owned by Andrew Mahnken of Mountain Logging. The load out machine is a 320DFM, the Shovel is a 330DFM and the processor is a John Deere 903J with a Waratah. The skidder is at another landing nearby and (i think) is a John Deere 748H?

  543. #543csquared2012-06-24 21:08
  544. #544skadill2012-06-26 01:13

    Link Belt 210LX Running this one a day here,day there for a change.

  545. #545KW850&T800H2012-06-26 01:18

    Not sure on the hours, but I'll guess quite a few. Cat 320CLL

  546. #546KW850&T800H2012-06-26 01:21

    Limbers are so phased out now. Seen at auction last year.

  547. #547JTL2012-06-26 20:03

    Full on log shovel's are kinda rare in the Land Down Under aren't they? I think those are the first pictures any of you guys from New Zealand or Austrialia have posted of them.

  548. #548furpo2012-06-27 05:08

    A shovel machine is common down here particularly in ground based and swing yarder crews. Generally the contractors dont have machines dedicated to just one job, therefore, the diggers all end up looking like one another. The standard digger/loader down here is between 20t and 30t, slightly raised cab, side door gaurding, high lift boom, and a live type grapple. Some contractors will fit live heals

  549. #549PFS2012-06-27 07:12

    All depends on tonnage what sort of equipment you have. Most big Contractor's with big tonnage round here have all purpose built equipment. In the hills around where i live there is only 1 pure shovel crew, and they use a converted PC350LL and another smaller machine, which for a non purpose built, is HUGELY expensive. Skidder's are very popular. And like furpo said, Most shovels are the same. And load out machines over here are commonly little excavator's or forwarder's, their are very few pure load out machines.

  550. #550loggers son2012-06-29 06:27

    A year in pictures Got this machine new and have been running it for the last 18 months getting felling head and track shoes first day view from the office using the heel to build roads things you find in the bush some days i have bad days though not as bad as some

  551. #551loggers son2012-06-29 06:31

    i travel a bit all in all life's pretty good more to come soon cheers Trev

  552. #552KW850&T800H2012-06-29 10:48

    I really enjoyed those posts loggers son! Keep up the good work.

  553. #553prolog nz2012-06-30 06:17

    Heres a typical loader setup used here in NZ although purpose built caterpillar fm machines have become popular in the past few years. I brought this one a couple of months back

  554. #554PFS2012-06-30 07:23

    My father currently operates 2 converted excavator's, 1 is a shovel logger Hyundai 290 something. It unlike prolog's doesn't have any sort of high riser, and just a little more guarding package then his. Another is a Komatsu PC270 Feller Buncher 06, with a Rosin felling attachment. PC 270's are quite common as processor's down here to. I'll post pictures of both at a later date.

  555. #555prolog nz2012-06-30 17:05

    This is also a fairly common setup for these parts. This one is our SH300 sumitomo with a 624 head and an ensign gaurding package with high and wide undercarriage older machine now but still performs well

  556. #556prolog nz2012-06-30 17:20

    Heres a better pic of the 240 loader gaurding

  557. #557prolog nz2012-06-30 17:37

    Heres a machine that might interest some of you guys? Its the ClimbMax steep slope fellerbuncher made by trinder engineering south island NZ. This thing is pretty insane they anchor the winch on the front of the machine to a stump and then let the machine down some pretty insane faces felling and bunching its way down for the yarder to pull. I only have the one pic on my computer but someone else may have some more? Its also fitted with a blade on the rear of the undercarriage, engine runs a dry sump setup for obvious reasons and the operator is strapped in with a race car harness!

  558. #558PFS2012-07-01 01:37

    http://www.fica.org.nz/Event-Gallery.html Oh and prolog, i see quite a few crews don't run processor's. Could you maybe tell me why the don't run one if you know? cheer's.

  559. #559JTL2012-07-01 23:19

    I'd like to have a nickel for every log this old 245 has chucked!

  560. #560kiwi450x2012-07-02 06:42
  561. #561kiwi450x2012-07-02 06:45

    The new Sumitomo looks good too Prolog. Good stuff.

  562. #562PFS2012-07-02 07:21
  563. #563S.R.Contractors2012-07-02 23:42

    That's your machine isn't it skadill? Nice setup. I always had good luck with LB.

  564. #564boardbysled2012-07-03 22:41

    John Deere sorting machine at Sierra Pacific's Burlington, WA Mill

  565. #565furpo2012-07-04 05:14

    Kiwi 450x. Im guessing you are the Montana forman? There are some photos of your Burger in that thread. When is the 70 coming? While the processors are nice I think they have some fundamental issues. The biggest of which is the repeatability of length measurement. I suspect eventually we will see smaller and more portable versions of the KT Webb rd plant come out.

  566. #566KenAl2012-07-04 09:03

    Drott North of Ft McMurray AB

  567. #567kiwi450x2012-07-09 05:52

    Yep, you got me. I saw the pics of our Berger a while ago. The reason I came here was because someone was telling me there were pics of our Berger on here. We have the 70 on our job now. The Berger can have a little rest now...

  568. #568theironoracle2012-07-10 01:28

    prolognz, i want more pics and info on that climbmax!!! i have thought many times about that winch install on a timbco leveler buncher. i don't know if our labor and industry laws would allow that to be sold on the open market but an owner operator can do about whatever he wants (more power to them) in that regard still has to watch out for the occupational safety and health guys aka osha...........theironoracle

  569. #569theironoracle2012-07-10 01:31

    prolog, nice lookin sumitomo, we get them as case excavators and link belts in the U.S, lots of them in logging in the northwest....................theironoracle

  570. #570furpo2012-07-10 04:47

    theironoracale; that machine is called a Climbmax and is made by Trinder. It is quite new so not a lot has come out yet. Another company has developed a system for an old bulldozer to let a self leveling falling machine down slopes. Kiwi450x; yeah I found your Burger up Kintail rd while off for a bike rd. I got a flat tyre that day and had to walk out. You will have to get a photo of the 70 for the forum. Say hi to Dennis for me when you see him next.

  571. #571skadill2012-07-11 01:27

    Forest Heroes of the 80's Standard B.C. pieces for many years.

  572. #572prolog nz2012-07-11 04:22

    Thanks man they are a good machine we have 4 sumitomos, 2 with waratah heads and 2 with grapples. They are a good machine allround. As for the ClimbMax about the best I could do is scan another pic of it out of our logger magazine. Its an impressive piece of gear! the one pictured is the second one they have built and has a few changes compared to the first. I think the machine was developed in close consultation with OSH NZ (osha). These guys take it in some pretty crazy places and I think its a really good idea but if something goes bad it going to get real ugly real quick lol

  573. #573prolog nz2012-07-11 04:26

    What was the 290 Volvo that you guys traded in with Goughs like? We purchased it for a backline digger and it just got delivered to the job today.

  574. #574csquared2012-07-11 20:10

    it was in goughs masterton for at least a year..it looked rough..good enough for the back line i guess.

  575. #575prolog nz2012-07-12 03:13

    It must have had a tidy up since then? has new track gear etc. and is reasonably straight considering its done 14000hrs and it seems to go well. Its hard 2 justify spending more than 100k on a machine that most days does no more than an hours work total.

  576. #576csquared2012-07-15 21:22

    I had pictures of if from last year on my old computer,If i remember ill post them. but it didn't have new tracks or anything at that time. log frog imported a 330 road builder last year from bc for his back line machine.

  577. #577prolog nz2012-07-16 04:29

    I will throw some up later this week its getting 50mm grouser extensions going on it thursday so should be good for getting around. Any pics of the 330? personally don't like the 330s in clay country bit big and difficult to get out of real steep greasy gullies We have a 330c but its mainly fleet and load only. We usually use 230-240 size machines for a tailhold nice and light for getting around but big enough to do what it needs to.

  578. #578csquared2012-07-16 19:47

    There's a picture of it with his 6255 somewhere on here. I don't have any pictures of it tho. Frog had single grousers put on, and with the high and wide u/c, it seems to get around when I was around it. Not the fastest machine, but you could push and pull your self around.

  579. #579log frog2012-07-17 03:16

    330 tailhold Here it is prolog nz. Fresh off the truck. It's a 330 RB (Canadian roadbuiler) High and wide with thumb. The thumb is really useful.

  580. #580kiwi450x2012-07-17 05:47

    For what it's worth, I replied on the PM to Prolog at the time. I would imagine that Goughs would have tidied it up before they moved it on. It'll be handy with the 50mm grousers on it...

  581. #581kiwi450x2012-07-17 06:37

    I'm trying to put up a couple of pics but it ain't a happening thing. Can I not just use photobucket to show them? That's what I've done in the past...

  582. #582csquared2012-07-17 20:12

    furpo, might have a few other angles of that machine as well...

  583. #583Scott S2012-07-17 21:46

    Are you using it as a tail hold/backspar on the 255? We use a 300 Kobleco for ours and drag it around from time to time. Scott S

  584. #584furpo2012-07-18 01:15

    Shall we call it an odd angle. Been asked not to put them up.

  585. #585skadill2012-07-18 22:23

    Older Link-Belt 3400 Owned by a logging Co.taken this past spring.Video look at: http://youtu.be/kdYDIcbd2-o

  586. #586SPMiller2012-07-22 23:25

    Lovell Cove. Photo credits Mr Sanders

  587. #587SPMiller2012-07-22 23:27

    Twin Engine UH-20 Now serving as two tailhold points for a Skagit 717.

  588. #588SPMiller2012-07-22 23:29

    Ex-WFP Vancouver Island Deere 992 log loader, converted back to excavator with a permanent rake/thumb.

  589. #589kiwi450x2012-07-23 01:49

    Just trying a couple of pics. This is the pride of our fleet at the moment. Taken on delivery just over a year ago.

  590. #590kiwi450x2012-07-23 02:11

    Cheers Froggie for giving me a crash course in posting pics... The 324 FM is still in pretty good shape today. I enjoy it everytime I'm allowed to warm the seat although thats few and far between these days. I took these in the last couple of weeks. It's a bit grubby in the first pic from splashing around in the mid winter mud, nothing a good washdown won't fix though.

  591. #591spitzair2012-07-24 15:52

    Here's some pictures I've collected over the last little while...

  592. #592spitzair2012-07-24 15:54

    Next batch...

  593. #593spitzair2012-07-24 15:57

    More yet...

  594. #594spitzair2012-07-24 15:59

    And the last pile...

  595. #595log frog2012-07-24 16:43

    You are welcome 450. Nice shots.

  596. #596SPMiller2012-07-24 21:23

    Great shots Toby!

  597. #597jr-transport2012-07-24 21:51

    Here is one you wont see very often. I have yet to track down one that is complete, but there werent many, less than a dozen, made paint_KBL_2 by The Koehring Guy , on Flickr I have a video of one working up on youtube, it is a good way in to the video at 8:10 http://youtu.be/er1Gnp0tlt4 Here is a bantam I saw a few years ago too, 266 by The Koehring Guy , on Flickr

  598. #598jr-transport2012-07-24 21:54

    Here are a couple of Koehring Waterous loaders I have found too 440 by The Koehring Guy , on Flickr 440 size by The Koehring Guy , on Flickr 440 by The Koehring Guy , on Flickr And a shot of one of them when it was almost new 440 by The Koehring Guy , on Flickr

  599. #599csquared2012-07-27 21:19

    coquhalia mtns in the background hyundai is for sale.. 1960 hrs. pm me

  600. #600theironoracle2012-07-27 22:00

    csquared, how do you like the john deere forestry machine? seems to be a ton of those in western bc. a customer of mine just purchased a used 2554 log loader with a new 623c head. i haven't been able to see it run but built about right it seems, maybe i will post a picture if i slow down long enough to get one, probably see it tuesday...........theironoracle

  601. #601csquared2012-07-27 23:44

    Were do i start.... I don't think we will buy another loader, processor or road builder that isn't green. Everything is oversized and build for the bush.. pumps, motor, rotec, track gear, swing gear. they are essentially a 250 machine or bigger in a 200 size. they are very heavily built,everything is 1/4 steel or bigger, no sheet metal. Attention to detail, hand holds, railings, foot steps, storage, filter placement, lights etc etc. The only grief i have with them is the cab's. They were built in 2002 and haven't really changed at all. There due for an update in 2014(G series with new emissions)it would be nice to see a little better A/C, insulating from motor heat behind the cab, change to shorter joysticks mounted on a air ride seat would be nice. new gauges with all your operating temps. We have D series machines now, and they made some big changes to them from the 2554, the 2054's and 2554s are still a really good machine tho.

  602. #602skadill2012-07-28 00:04

    Link-Belt 4300c series 2 Backspar Video walk around at: http://youtu.be/ZFLmb3IqMSs

  603. #603hiluxman2012-07-28 00:46

    Nice link belt skadill dose it stil have the odd grapple with the hydrulic hanging off

  604. #604SPMiller2012-07-29 19:47

    Really good photos Skadill 1,2,4 are awesome

  605. #605skadill2012-07-31 01:55

    First Generation Hydraulic Log Loader This Link-Belt is as great a piece as can ever be found.It will be hard to find a more cool piece than this for a long time.Video look-see at: http://youtu.be/fNTRxZh2AmQ

  606. #606John C.2012-07-31 21:20

    I worked on a machine like that so long ago I can't remember the model number. It was gear travel and swing with hydraulic log front. Seems like it was a LS4100 or something.

  607. #607boardbysled2012-07-31 23:09

    Hiett Logging's Yoder. Unknown gyppo's excavator. Butler Loggings Cat Shovel

  608. #608sleddr2012-08-02 15:38

    Tigercat H855C with a Waratah 623C head working South East BC

  609. #609sleddr2012-08-02 15:57

    Volvo 290 with Waratah 624 working on a cable show in Southeast BC

  610. #610csquared2012-08-02 23:39

    sleddr, what area is that 855 in? and who is yarding on trout creek, my dad was low bedding up there, saw it from a distance and said it was really impressive?

  611. #611BDFT2012-08-04 17:20

    Madill 800 with a Waratah 622 head Madill 1800 with a Waratah 624 head Cat 320 doing its thing.

  612. #612sleddr2012-08-04 18:47

    The 855 is working near Castlegar. The yarding contractor is Dicebox - we do our best to get him into high production scenarios, especially in the pine.

  613. #613Greatwestcam2012-08-05 12:18

    Barko 350 Saw this machine in a wrecking yard, thought I better save it in a picture or two. Looks pretty streight, like it has hardly been used.

  614. #614Scott S2012-08-07 17:46

    Brand new 485 Kobelco Yoder being prepped in PDX. 48' boom, rear entry cab, I was told it weighs 140,000 lbs :notworthy

  615. #615sleddr2012-08-08 17:37

    Almost the entire Prentice feller buncher line up from the late 1990's in one yard - only one missing is the 730 (which must be working because I know they have one as well). 720 Tilter - basically a Timbco with different paint 620 Tilter - little brother of the 720 (smaller undercarriage) 630 Flat bottom 630 Tilter - looks like a parts machine...

  616. #616sleddr2012-08-08 17:40

    Couple of backspars also found on the weekend. Old Cat 227 tilter feller buncher retrofitted - hasn't been used for a while Large Kobelco hoe that was retrofitted by TMAR

  617. #617DoosanFan2012-08-09 06:40

    Thats a good looking machine, what year is it?

  618. #618csquared2012-08-11 21:44

    duncan's have a nice 730 tilter for sale...surprised mike hasn't snapped that up.

  619. #619BDFT2012-08-11 22:42

    Not sure. They are both fairly high hour machines and generally disliked by the processor crew. The new guys get these to run. This outfit has four other almost new Cat 320D's to choose from.

  620. #620hiluxman2012-08-12 21:36

    Funny thought is probibly every UH181/UH171 is in bc in Japan they where called UH14 cypress frist had grey market machines and the road builders loved them

  621. #621skadill2012-08-14 01:17

    Hitachi EX270-5 Roadbuilder Taken a couple months ago-video at: http://youtu.be/aEc2sQSteIo

  622. #622sleddr2012-08-15 19:33

    Few more pictures of local contractors Tigercat 855C with waratah 623 head. Nicest purpose built processor I've ever seen.

  623. #623DoosanFan2012-08-16 01:13

    I'm curious... I haven't seen any John Deere swing machines for a while now? Any body running them? What are they like if you are running one?

  624. #624boardbysled2012-08-17 20:41

    Eco Log's Link-Belt/FMC. An old school machine that still works everyday. A bit slow but keeps up with their thinning side well.

  625. #625hiluxman2012-08-18 16:05

    Has anyone here seen a Warner and Swazey logging excavator there is a pic of one as a buncher on the unbc archives

  626. #626rayb2012-08-18 23:10

    Here a few shots of Ryka Industries Hyundai 210 working in the Alberni valley.

  627. #627skadill2012-08-21 22:48

    Hitachi UH171 Log Loader All cut up by now.Video at: http://youtu.be/eEyonD1PfPA

  628. #628hiluxman2012-08-21 23:09

    Cool UH171-LL something I wonder is where these machines shipped over from Japan half assembled and then made into juicers or just assembled here ?

  629. #629csquared2012-08-23 20:40

    been waiting to see a picture of this machine! pic courtesy of cable price along with right up " Rosewarne Contractors Ltd recently took delivery of their latest John Deere 2154D Log Loader. Nicknamed the Terminator. This particular unit is fitted with a Power Clam Grapple made by CWS Industries in Canada for high speed high production loading. After spending a few days getting used to it, operator Tas was very complimentary as to the capabilities of the grapple and believed it would reduce loading times on the skid. Seen here from left to right is Director of CWS Industries Tim Stubbs. Owner of Rosewarne Contractors, Lars Rosewarne. Operator Tas and Dave McFarlane from the John Deere Swing Machine Factory. Machine sold by Phil McKenzie ."

  630. #630Greatwestcam2012-09-02 00:53

    tired iron mix of different finds

  631. #631Greatwestcam2012-09-02 01:06

    few more ... ....

  632. #632boardbysled2012-09-12 22:06

    Ray Day Jr. Logging, Idaho Hitatchi 330LL with a Link Belt LS98 converted to a swing yarder behind it. Link Belt 240lx running a pierce stroke-boom delimber mono-boom style.

  633. #633theironoracle2012-09-12 23:39

    First yellow one i have personally seen in the brush, check out the size of those finals!!!!!.......................theironoracle

  634. #634boardbysled2012-10-01 00:03
  635. #635JTL2012-10-05 22:21

    You must have went snooping around the Deary, Bovill, Elk River, Clarkia, St. Maries area Junior Day cut a bunch of right of way for us in 05 or 06 on a big Forest Circus job we were building road into, outside of Bovill. Hendersen was building some (and logged it as well) on some State ground boardering up to the Circus ground we were on. Steve will throw a pile of iron at a million feet, and knock it out in no time flat! Is Ray's dad still hauling logs down that way? I seen him up in Sandpoint a couple years ago. We had him hauling our R.O.W. We just called him "Old"!

  636. #636boardbysled2012-10-05 22:51

    Haha, yep, I get around. Those were taken around the White Pine Drive area, in between Potlatch and St. Marie's. Headed up to the Silver Valley tomorrow, see if I can't get some pictures of any equipment up that way.

  637. #637BDFT2012-10-06 13:43

    Brand new 2954 with a 12 foot CWS clam doing its thing. BDFT had a bad day at the office. A dry pine snag came in the cab to visit me.

  638. #638BDFT2012-10-06 13:47

    Three of the 320D's that chase the skidder and I all day.

  639. #639loggers son2012-10-06 18:15

    BDFT had a bad day at the office. A dry pine snag came in the cab to visit me. View attachment 95547 that'll get your heart pumping for the day, damn! interesting to see it's not polycarbonate/ lexan/ plastic etc (what ever you want to call it). Why is that? trev

  640. #640BDFT2012-10-06 19:23

    Damned if I know. The right side window and the door are Lexan. Front window and the side windows are tempered glass. They should at least be laminated glass but its not me paying the bill. I hate tempered glass in any equipment, it doesn't take anything to break it and then it explodes. I had to run this machine for two days with no side windows while it was getting fixed. That'll learn me.

  641. #641loggers son2012-10-07 03:31

    aaahh it's the "tell the operator to be aware of that when driving" way of management from the manufacturer. nice that people put welfare before expense........... oh, no wait ...the other thing. and two days .....boo i say, shame on them.

  642. #642BDFT2012-10-07 10:28

    Two days isn't too bad. I've worked for some contractors where I would have run it until winter and the cab was full of snow every morning.

  643. #643SPMiller2012-10-07 20:08

    Two quickly aging pieces, hoping for another chance at life. Would make an awesome addition to a salvage fleet.

  644. #644BDFT2012-10-08 10:34

    Those saws work great but it takes about a pickup load of bars and chain to learn how to use them. One false move during the cut means a bent bar.

  645. #645csquared2012-10-08 17:09

    good pics, i have a few shots of our 3-2154's working in a row. but was somewhat hesitant about putting them up because of the safety regarding chain shot and working distances.. i presume your mill doesn't hassle you with that?

  646. #646trainwreck2012-10-09 00:34

    not building road in the pic but it does build road sometimes.

  647. #647trainwreck2012-10-09 00:40
  648. #648BDFT2012-10-09 21:23

    Those machines are at least a tree length apart, probably more. The zoom makes them look closer together. I work for a Safe-Certified company that works for Canfor so its "Safety First" all day, every day. Nobody moves, nobody gets hurt.

  649. #649boardbysled2012-10-16 23:54

    Some green equipment I seen today. Had a matching green skidder to complete the assortment, but didn't get any pictures of it.

  650. #650ap40rocktruck2012-11-03 16:05

    I am researching for information on the KW-Dart 120 log stacker, does anyone by chance have a copy of the sales lit on the beast? I am looking for a scan of it that tells all the specs & has a drawing of it! A good friend of mine & I are wanting to scratch build a few 1/25 scale models of this fascinating machine. Many thanks in advance, Ap40rocktruck

  651. #651BDFT2012-11-03 21:52

    http://www.pbase.com/rustygrapple/log_stackers

  652. #652roadbuilder62012-11-04 19:27

    Sweet!

  653. #653ap40rocktruck2012-11-04 19:31

    Thanks, I sent Eric a email asking if he has or can scan the entire piece on the Dart 600. Still looking for more, never enough to reproduce it all in scale. Ap40rocktruck

  654. #654skadill2012-11-07 00:25

    Standing Proud An oldie up around Squamish,B.C.

  655. #655cutting edge2012-11-07 08:48

    That thing is still sitting there,eh?

  656. #656spitzair2012-11-09 13:10

    I'm sure it'll still be there years from now...

  657. #657Caterpillar941b2012-11-19 22:19

    what was the computer problem? remember seeing some vids of this thing on the youtube

  658. #658Caterpillar941b2012-11-19 22:31

    seen a couple used a road builders round here to.

  659. #659spitzair2012-11-19 23:14

    Yep, that's the one. All is revealed here :

  660. #660Caterpillar941b2012-11-20 00:09

    hows the old hitachi been for a machine since the problems been fixed?

  661. #661Caterpillar941b2012-11-20 00:47

    the 320 and the linkbelt

  662. #662boardbysled2012-12-13 04:00

    Some more N. Idaho equipment.

  663. #663loggers son2012-12-14 17:36

    Wheel loaders in NZ In forest loading in NZ, mid 70's to present day 3 fiat allis 605's used in thinnings and clearfell

  664. #664loggers son2012-12-14 17:47

    cont. clear fell only machines

  665. #665loggers son2012-12-14 18:16

    more

  666. #666JeremyM702012-12-18 15:19

    Allied feller buncher Here's some pics of an Allied feller buncher I caught a few years ago, Redwood Climber asked for some more pics so here is what I have. I only had a few pics since I was more interested in the yarders. In the last year or so this machine has been moved over to the Camp 18 Logging Museum on the north Oregon coast.

  667. #667sleddr2012-12-18 23:12

    Cat 325FM and older Cat 322. Both machine are working around Salmo BC. The 322 has the US style riser cab - pretty unusual around here... The 325FM has a powerclam with a stabilizer for long log loading.

  668. #668SPMiller2012-12-19 03:51

    Timber looks good.

  669. #669spitzair2012-12-21 11:05

    It's been really great! I haven't used it all that much but my dad used it a fair bit, and he says it's working great. Here my fiance is taking a keen interest a few weeks ago, I couldn't get her off this thing! And here's my Hein Werner still earning her keep after all these years!

  670. #670spitzair2012-12-21 11:29

    Can't remember if I posted these before or not... An old Barko in northern BC and a Cat 235 at a camp I was at...

  671. #671spitzair2012-12-21 11:31

    Few more...

  672. #672skadill2012-12-22 17:53

    John Deere 3754D Roadbuilder Good looking newer piece.Walkaround video at: http://youtu.be/YaqY_hh8TZs

  673. #673SPMiller2012-12-22 20:48

    n/a

  674. #674Caterpillar941b2012-12-23 14:29

    love the old werner a nice old machine! glad the hitachi has worked out for you and i love them old cat hoes!

  675. #675Caterpillar941b2012-12-23 14:31

    did they let you take it for a joyride todd?

  676. #676skadill2012-12-23 16:55

    With 30,000 hrs on swing machines,there isn't much 'joy' in rides anymore.

  677. #677Caterpillar941b2012-12-24 02:02

    lol how do you think this thing would be compared to your linkbelt?

  678. #678JeremyM702012-12-25 01:52

    Some stroke delimbers and shovels Found several shovel logging sides along with a TSY255 yarder side on the north Oregon coast a few weeks ago.

  679. #679JeremyM702012-12-25 01:55

    and a nice looking Cat 568 Shovel

  680. #6801270d2012-12-25 10:30

    I don't think this was ever used by the logging industry, but though you folks might like to see it. Koehring 1466

  681. #681JTL2012-12-25 23:48

    Thats some good looking Kittypeter iron there Jeremy. Is that a Tigercat buncher coverted to a shovel logger? I saw a 445 Timbco someone put a heel rack and grapple on a few years ago. Pretty good idea in my mind.

  682. #682theironoracle2012-12-26 00:02

    JTL, i have a timbco operator friend that wants to try shovel logging with his machine but can't get the owners to bite off on the idea. someone needs to post some videos with production and application specifics to help take the learning curve out of it for the rest of us. i think the best application possible would be to shovel log to a small yarder in thinnings, this would be to steep for track skidders but to tight and steep for full size loaders. these guys have it figured out, it appears that the leveler will probably shovel the steeper stuff to the full boom non leveling machine, and then do the short and nasty stuff with the yoder.....................theironoracle

  683. #683JeremyM702012-12-26 22:01

    Jason, this was a new demo shovel from Triad, the company was trying it out apparently. Here's a link to the model http://www.tigercat.com/index.php/LS855C-Shovel-Logger/overview.html They have recently bought several Cat 568LL shovels and I believe they prefer those.

  684. #684Caterpillar941b2013-01-01 21:07

    link belt 3400

  685. #685Caterpillar941b2013-01-03 20:45

    road building in the rockies

  686. #686cutting edge2013-01-03 21:31

    Did I just see a tilter with a heel on it?!?!?!

  687. #687Caterpillar941b2013-01-03 21:54

    yes. they are bought like that. look on tiger cats website

  688. #688cutting edge2013-01-04 00:47

    That's just silly....a clam on a tilter might make sense for hoechucking...but a heel?

  689. #689SPMiller2013-01-04 00:57

    It's actually makes sense in big wood coastal. A little company called Roga was the first company to have one. For hoe chucking to reduce yarder roads and such.

  690. #690csquared2013-01-04 21:17

    Roga isn't very little lol. They are logging almost everywhere in B.C. Kamloops, Campbell River and Prince George for a start and who knows where else. When Tigercat made"20'' they simply picked the contractor who had bought the most pieces of Tigercat gear in the past 20 in Western Canada.. and that was Roga. I had heard they were doing 700 000m3 a year i think. As for the L855c with heel's. There was a half dozen or so in use in Brazil for Klabin, before the first one went to Roga's island division here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P386rIlVY3g

  691. #691SPMiller2013-01-04 22:36

    Haha, insert sarcasm about Roga being small?

  692. #692csquared2013-01-05 01:17

    haha damm

  693. #693cutting edge2013-01-05 01:35

    I was on one of Roga's sides the other day.....I know who they are but have never seen one of those.

  694. #694SPMiller2013-01-08 00:24
  695. #695JeremyM702013-01-08 01:13

    panorama mode with the Iphone5? Very cool!

  696. #696JTL2013-01-08 13:48

    Now thems are pretty pictures Mr. Miller! Nice clean setting. I like it

  697. #697SPMiller2013-01-09 01:07

    Well I would love to claim the photos, they aren't mine. Thought they'd be enjoyed, and the operator had no issues.

  698. #698sleddr2013-01-09 23:06

    Couple of hard working forestry graders. A 14H with dozer and wing. A 14M with 6 way dozer and roll over wing.

  699. #699theironoracle2013-01-09 23:15

    those are awesome, i really enjoyed plowing snow with a grader a couple of days long ago. i remember as a kid falling asleep in the seat next to my dad in his 14e while plowing snow, i would just watch the slack of those chains come over the top of that tire and listen to the chains vibrate on the road. his machine was a direct drive so he would let me shift gears as he ran everything else................................................oh those were the great days......no extra wide seat in these to bring a son along............theironoracle

  700. #700JTL2013-01-10 13:32

    The ski hill here where I live used to have one of thsoe roll-over wings on a 14G. I got the privilage of running for a couple days. It seemed like a great idea, but the one they had was WAY to heavy for a 14. It added so much weight to rear of the tractor that it made it very hard to turn without using the articulation. When you picked it up off the ground, or the top of the berm it lifted the oppisite side of the machine off the ground, thus making any movement difficult. The engine in the grader was quite weak to say the least. 3rd gear was tops while plowing with the wing down. If plowing up hill with the wing down, or when knocking the berm tops off, 2nd was all you could use. Talk about a long day! I was working for a contractor to the ski hill running his 140G with a regular wing and a straight bull-blade. It was down for a couple days cause a drive chain broke, so I ran that 14. I was happy a puppy with four balls to play with when I got our 140 back! That little 140 would out work that 14 10:1.

  701. #701Scott S2013-01-10 21:52

    My Granddad patented the hydraulic angle and tilt blade for dozers in the early 40's, he was logging and road building near the central coast of Oregon and came up with the idea. While he was ingenious he was a lousy salesman, rumor was he was offered $2500 from Hyster for the use of the patent and turned them down. He never made a cent.... http://www.google.com/patents?id=QF...d_pages&cad=2#v=onepage&q=sword dozer&f=false Scott S

  702. #702theironoracle2013-01-10 22:19

    JTL, yes that 14g must have been real sick. It also doesn't take mutch being out of balance to throw a machine out of usability. another thing with with these graders is the wide tires, they are miserable to try to push mutch, especially in snow, i wonder how long it will take to change the tires out on that 14m to ones like the 14h has on it, maybe its balanced different?.....................theironoracle

  703. #703Logboss12013-01-11 15:53

    Old road builder still in use

  704. #7049420pullpan2013-01-11 19:00

    We neeed to see some more pic of the graders in the snow or the woods

  705. #705spitzair2013-01-16 23:26

    Ask and ye shall receive! Not exactly in the woods or working but it's sitting there waiting to get busy...

  706. #706Caterpillar941b2013-01-19 19:36

    crawler loader our old 941b. still going strong to this day our be all do all machine

  707. #707SPMiller2013-01-20 23:22

    330 roadbuilder....not roadbuilding... [video=youtube;5SHTTpgKpT4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SHTTpgKpT4[/video]

  708. #708hiluxman2013-01-21 18:49

    we have covered almost every brand of roadbulider here is one no one has seen its a Kato on Ricthie Bros but you may not be able to view it http://www.rbauction.com/kato-hd1220-seli?invId=6583685&id=ar

  709. #709Rusty Grapple2013-01-21 23:09

    Kato was around throughout the Pacific Northwest in the 1980's- Ross was the dealer and the did pretty well with them. Lots were sold as loggers and roadbuilders; many different lower options (in both tracks and rubber-tire carriers) and several different boom options. I have alot of old Ross/Kato ads and promo items, but these machines have largely disappeared and I'm not sure where the heck they all went..? I dont have much Kato scanned but here are 2 pics I took in 1987 in the backcountry between Cougar and Randle, on a Ben A. Thomas job in USFS wood. Thomas was a big logger from Woodland, Washington and ran several Kato machines in his operations. Ross had stores in Eugene, Portland, and Chehalis, Washington and did a fine job covering the Western States with all the various manufacturers they sold; The Kato line was dropped when Ross picked up 'Hyundai' in the later 80's and ran with that as thier 'price point' machine for loading and sorting.

  710. #710hiluxman2013-01-21 23:13

    Can you post pics/ads of a Kato Roadbulider if you have time

  711. #711Rusty Grapple2013-01-21 23:19

    Sure! The challenge will be digging and finding but I'll come up with some stuff for you this week if I get an extra hour or 2. I had some great shots of Kato loggers on Pierce carriers working in Oregon around here someplace. I think VanDamme owned them.

  712. #712hvy 1ton2013-01-22 02:29

    Baby Road Builder Thought this was pretty cool. EX160 with all the good bits from tilt bucket to a disc head. Added pics for when the listing goes down. http://www.marketbook.ca/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8920237&LP=MAT

  713. #713furpo2013-01-22 02:37

    From what I remember of the Kato was that they run no pilot pressure system so the valve spools were pulled via linkages direct from controls. It was like rowing a boat all day.

  714. #714Kiwi Logger2013-01-22 15:29

    Only for the travel and was made worse when the cabs were raised and after market cables for installed. We ran Kato's in Mangatu right though the 90s and they were faultless, very powerfull and well balanced.

  715. #715OlympicYJ2013-01-23 01:28

    That's funny. Drove through there the weekend before you posted these pics! I thought about snappin a few myself haha I'm not from Idaho so don't know any contractors names really. Do you know whose machines they were? Wes

  716. #716OlympicYJ2013-01-23 01:54

    I know it's not a shovel but it is old Iron. This arch came out of Camp Grisdale on the Olympic Peninsula. The cable 8 came out of Tacoma. An old logging 8 from Grisdale is behind the shop. The bigh chokers on the back were from the steam days. Found those out the Promised Land west of the Humptulips. The dog knobs are threaded through the arch and through the drum on the cat. They are Esco bells. High maganeese, magnet won't stick to em. They probably weigh around 30 pounds apiece.

  717. #717SPMiller2013-01-23 01:56

    That's cool! ^ Brand new and shiney!

  718. #718OlympicYJ2013-01-23 02:18

    Thanks man. Unfortunately the old girl doesn't run. The old man pulled er up to put some new heads on and never finished it... that was about 26 or 27 years ago. After workin on everyone elses junk I know he hates workin on his own. Has a great undercarriage on it though. The track pins are hardley worn. There was a stump splitter on it but took it off and loaned it to my uncle to mount on his excavator for splitting stumps. So dad drug the arch out of the bottom field and weaseled her in behind the cat for a yard ornament... or would that count as a shop ornament? lol Very nice new machine. I'm hopin to have some good pics from this coming summer on the Olympic Peninsula.

  719. #719OlympicYJ2013-01-23 02:43

    Various Shovels From the Olympic Pen.

  720. #720OlympicYJ2013-01-23 02:46
  721. #721SPMiller2013-01-23 13:02

    Keep them coming! Brand new Hitachi Zaxis 290 Forester! [video=youtube;4JtNWnIwQAQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JtNWnIwQAQ[/video]

  722. #722skadill2013-02-16 01:06

    Three in One Here's a first for my camera,Caught a Loader,limber and a roadbuilder in one photo.Video look around at: http://youtu.be/IgqlSxZd-v4

  723. #723Diecastmania2013-02-23 20:59

    Wow! Never Knew Hitachi Fellers existed!

  724. #724Diecastmania2013-02-23 21:16

    Scrap (orange peel) GRAPPLE NOT "claw"

  725. #725Diecastmania2013-02-23 21:36

    Doosan DX140LC Baby Roadbuilder! Typical New England Logging Shovel.:usa http://www.flickr.com/photos/zaxis450-4/8502466636/in/photostream

  726. #726JustLogIt2013-02-23 23:15

    Cat 324D with Waratah 623C Just took delivery of a Cat 324D with Waratah 623C. Unfortunately first job is a fire salvage, so the "new car smell" didn't last long. Still an amazing machine

  727. #727skadill2013-02-26 22:54

    Log Loader Taken at Harrison Lake last year

  728. #728SPMiller2013-03-10 00:08

    old 181

  729. #729Wdonaldson2013-03-10 22:57

    Link-Belt 350 Road-Builder

  730. #730SPMiller2013-03-11 03:28

    Nice clean unit from nothern bc.

  731. #731roadbuilder62013-03-11 16:33

    That is so nice!

  732. #732ap40rocktruck2013-03-11 16:36

    Great shots guys! especially like the forestry cabs on the track hoe's over the standard construction models Ap40

  733. #733Wdonaldson2013-03-11 20:39

    Hyundai 290 Road-Builder

  734. #734Wdonaldson2013-03-12 21:25

    Hitachi 290 Forester with Waratah 624 Processor Head.

  735. #735S.R.Contractors2013-03-13 00:26

    this is my favorite post. That 350LB is sweet!

  736. #736Wdonaldson2013-03-14 23:02

    Komatsu PC-300 and a Finning tank drill.

  737. #737ap40rocktruck2013-03-14 23:35

    Nice, like to know more about the Fining tank drill. More photos, specs, etc. I can see a scale model screaming to be built. Ap40rocktruck

  738. #738Wdonaldson2013-03-17 23:17

    John Deere 2554 Road-Builder

  739. #739Wdonaldson2013-03-24 19:04

    Hitachi 350 Road Builder. A photo of this machine was taken by Skadill on post #221 it is a former Island Timberland machine, unit S130. It is now owned by Katzaa Logging in Lake Cowichan.

  740. #740Hayesno12013-04-04 15:50

    I found this on Vancouver Island. I dont know make. Looks a bit old and odd.

  741. #741ap40rocktruck2013-04-04 19:27

    Clark - Michigan 175 Ap40

  742. #742skadill2013-05-11 23:45

    Forester taken last week

  743. #743crisco62552013-05-12 20:30

    DL-3000 wheeler logging

  744. #744crisco62552013-05-12 20:40

    3800

  745. #745skadill2013-05-17 23:05

    Cat 325 Combo machine taken a couple weeks ago.

  746. #746big ben2013-05-18 02:25

    568 roadbuilder

  747. #747Born2clearcut2013-05-19 11:44

    Couple machines sitting on the side of the road. Komatsu PC300 hoe , John Deere 300D rock truck and a D7 cat

  748. #748MutsMachines2013-05-20 19:20

    komatsu pc250. very nice machine undercarige of a pc300 and top of a pc200. probaly the nicest excvator i have ever operated.

  749. #749theironoracle2013-05-21 23:14

    so why do these road builders seem to all be speced with direct link thumbs and not progressive link? i don't operate them but always thought grubbing was done about at maximum reach of a thumb! i love that cow catcher on the front of that 300d never seen one on an artic truck.....theironoracle

  750. #750John C.2013-05-21 23:19

    I'm wondering why most every woods Cat in Canada has an angle blade?

  751. #751Caterpillar941b2013-05-22 00:57

    makes road building easier and snow removal easier

  752. #752lowbed driver2013-05-22 12:40

    Every Cat I worked with in the bush(D6,7,8 TD 20 and 25's) had an angle dozer except for the newer D5/6's and JD 750 which now have 6 way power blades.

  753. #753John C.2013-05-22 21:48

    We can't side cast anything here in the states. If you are building roads you have to use an excavator and truck to make your cuts and store the material. When you are in a fill you have to bring that material back for it. The PAT blade seems to have taken over much of the road work in the woods today. Since most all they do is level the surface and spread topping, it seems that even the semi-U and straight blades are getting fewer around here.

  754. #754SPMiller2013-05-25 02:18

    Winter roads. On the coast and island it's the same way for us. In the interior whens the ground frozen they will literally build roads over topsoil, so long as it's frozen. Different rules apply there.

  755. #755silverone2013-05-28 00:01

    Uh 14-2 Skadill, any chance you'd tell me where this machine is ? I have a UH 14-2 that needs a few parts, and if this machine is for sale I'd be very interested. Would like to ask the owner if its for sale, (or parts from it). Thanks.

  756. #756Greatwestcam2013-06-01 02:40

    Prentice 610 doing firewood duty

  757. #757mountian_logger2013-06-03 22:16

    Hey there you must have worked with Steve L i got a few seasons on that 14g hello sounds like you worked at Schweitzer, they finely took that thing off it was way to big for it but dang that 14g would push! took her up to the top to keep the roads open, till work got done was pushing snow up over the frame just didn't want to quit. My knees still hurt remembering that thing, what year was you there?

  758. #758boardbysled2013-06-06 00:53

    Cat 235 at SPI Burlington. Tall cab riser for sorting.

  759. #759SPMiller2013-06-06 18:05

    Pictures of one of my customers.

  760. #760SPMiller2013-06-07 11:52

    Uh-oh!

  761. #761SPMiller2013-06-07 11:55
  762. #762Darksidelogger2013-06-08 00:51

    Sp any idea what happened to the 880 that looks like a pretty major failure any word from the dealer

  763. #763Greatwestcam2013-06-09 12:27

    Part of the road builder team. waiting for the barge and it's next job.

  764. #764Greatwestcam2013-06-09 12:42

    EX 400 ll Remember when we got one of these new in camp, had all the drivers wanting to be under the boom, was fast and smooth.

  765. #765SPMiller2013-06-09 13:34

    Someone at the factory forgot to weld it together. Only the inside was welded, not the outside

  766. #766donkey doctor2013-06-09 17:11

    Thats what I thought too but thought I must be missing something. Couldn't believe it. Pretty poor quality control in that plant. d.d.

  767. #767SPMiller2013-06-10 14:49

    This is what an 870 looks like underneath.

  768. #768BDFT2013-06-11 21:14

    They were peddling 880's like crazy up here in northern BC last summer. Nobody I know bought one but they had a demo going around to various logging contractors. Looks like they may have had some quality control issues.

  769. #769csquared2013-06-11 21:59

    there is 60 or so 880's in bc right now. KDL has a few as well up north

  770. #770Darksidelogger2013-06-12 09:57

    The 880 has been a good machine to us so far it's smooth, burns less fuel, is easy to work on and is cummins powered. We have had several minor issues with it that we're fixed eventually by the dealer. We also have a new cat 568 log loader and if I were to choose I would take the cat 568LL The 870 has also been a good machine as component wise it's the same as the 880 again it's smooth, fast, has lots of power, and runs circles around every other buncher we have been around. We have had some issues with it and most was repaired by the dealer some issues are still outstanding after 3 years but sometimes that's the way it goes!! DSL

  771. #771stormdodger2013-06-23 18:23

    link belt 290x2 grade hoe converted to processor with a 10000xt logmax head

  772. #772SPMiller2013-06-25 13:36

    New 350 with 400 undercarriage..

  773. #773cutting edge2013-06-26 02:54

    Why would you even do that when you can get a 3754 for less i'll bet? and thats a pretty annoying looking thumb.....

  774. #774SPMiller2013-06-26 03:45

    Apparently they had the 400 bottom already so it was considerably less. Odd for sure. I will report back when I see it working.

  775. #775SPMiller2013-07-03 11:19
  776. #776theironoracle2013-07-05 23:32

    nice pics spmiller, is that deere just a roadbuilder used for loading ou of right of way or will they use to bunch or hoe chuck..tio

  777. #777Oxbow2013-07-06 10:46

    I worked at Schweitzer in the late 70's, the Sam Worthington days (Schweitzer Sam). I was not on the road crew, but if I recall correctly they had a rigid frame 12 or 14 with a wing on both sides. The road was not paved then, but they could start at the top an do most of the road width in one pass coming down the hill. They also had a 950 loader with a seperate blower motor mounted on the back and blower on the front. They would blow the snow that had been bladed to the side and make the nice vertical walls. Later in the year the walls would be quite tall and with the typical Nortern Idaho freeze/thaw climate they would ice up quite solid. I rode down the hill with a friend about 4:00 A.M. one morning after grooming slopes all night. He had an older VW bug, (good metal in the fenders) and would use the frozen berms like a bobsled track. In those days the chances of meeting someone coming up the hill that time of day was slim, and he would literally go into the swithbacks against the berm and shoot right around the corner. It is a wonder that we lived through some of those adventures!

  778. #778glenlunberg2013-07-16 23:26

    Cool pictures of equipments! I'm sure they can do lots of jobs!

  779. #779SPMiller2013-07-19 15:28

    Green Machines

  780. #780MutsMachines2013-07-19 18:09

    those two deere fellerbunchers parked together like that is an awesome picture.im sure you can mow down many acres a day with those cutting together.

  781. #781MutsMachines2013-07-19 20:21

    pictures of machines from a company my dad worked for in about 2002

  782. #782Bigyen2013-07-20 20:42

    Has anyone heard how the new Cat 568 shovels are performing

  783. #783donkey doctor2013-07-24 19:17

    Seen coming off BC Ferries at Duke Pt. June 27/13. Don't have any more info.d.d.

  784. #784boardbysled2013-07-24 23:34

    Hiett Logging's Komatsu shovels and Cat processor with KETO head.

  785. #785SPMiller2013-08-09 11:22
  786. #786MutsMachines2013-08-09 22:41

    very nice tigercat and link-belt photos.those are awesome machines

  787. #787kiwi450x2013-08-10 00:17

    Nice pics SPMiller. Very tasty. Thanks for putting them up.

  788. #788Caterpillar941b2013-08-10 02:12

    who was the company owner? looks like familiar equipment to a close friends old company

  789. #789loggers son2013-08-10 20:07

    Talking to Trevor Hill ( Cat Mechanic ) when he was doing warranty work on my 330D FM and they are having the same hydraulic over heating issues,on the two new 568's sold recently by William Adams, that I had with my machine. Cat fixed mine with an extra oil cooler.

  790. #790SPMiller2013-08-14 13:18

    Miss Vicky's Special. Sad, as this was my favourite generation of machine.

  791. #791MutsMachines2013-08-14 21:26

    sorry but we are a couple provinces apart. it is a company my dad worked for when I was younger.

  792. #792skadill2013-08-16 00:51

    Mechanized Side photos I took last year

  793. #793Darksidelogger2013-08-16 01:31

    We have 330D FM machines 2 LL and a hoe And a 568 LL and a 568 hoe and we have had great luck definitely no signs of overheating if your machine is overheating I would say there is something else going on

  794. #794loggers son2013-08-16 06:03

    What's the ambient temperature where you are? In greater area here, there are three 330d fm machines and two 568's that have overheating issues.............which according to caterpillar is impossible trev

  795. #795Darksidelogger2013-08-16 10:07

    The ambient temperature in the July August averages 30 to 36 degrees, Which for us is considered extreme. We have no heating issues whatsoever with the cats One thing is the a/c systems on the 568 seem to keep up a little better than the 330D's with the enclosed high rise cab. We do have trouble with other stuff running warm though

  796. #796Darksidelogger2013-08-16 10:09

    I wonder if the humidity has anything to do with it ?

  797. #797stormdodger2013-08-18 13:48

    a nice second growth we came across on R/W

  798. #798Born2clearcut2013-08-21 11:57

    My version of a John Deere log loader

  799. #799Born2clearcut2013-08-21 12:00

    Couple of the cab

  800. #80069hayes2013-08-21 12:06

    Nice work, what kind of wood are you using for this?

  801. #801Mike L2013-08-21 20:38

    looks like striped maple to me

  802. #802Born2clearcut2013-08-21 20:54

    House , turntable, boom , stick and heel are spalted curly maple . Grapple and other tan parts are Yew wood . Tracks and rails are Walnut .

  803. #8030752013-08-21 23:30

    How much wood could a wood chucker chuck if a wood chucker could chuck wood? lol Looks good

  804. #804Born2clearcut2013-08-22 10:33

    Thanks guys

  805. #805jackd2013-08-22 22:08

    That wouldn't be a Sparmatic in the picture behind that model would it?

  806. #806boardbysled2013-08-22 23:17

    First picture is of a Keto 875 on a Cat. These heads seem to be good at cutting accurate lengths. Not as much slippage as the wheeled heads I suspect. These next pictures are detail pictures of a Yoder. Both machines are owned by Hiett Logging, Skagit County, WA, 8/22/13.

  807. #807Born2clearcut2013-08-23 09:46

    It's a Berger Tower (square tower ), larger picture of it in the BCFP thread page 5 post #71 , also camptramp added alittle more info in the BCFP thread page 32 post # 478

  808. #808OlympicYJ2013-08-23 16:38

    The Keto heads are very accurate but considerably slower than wheeled ones but seem to do an excellent job, just not very popular or common but the guys that have em seem to really like em. Been very impressed with a logmax 7000XT our thinning contractor had this summer; seems to be allot gentler on the wood as far as slippage goes. The logger said the alder mills will buy wood that has gone through it with the steel wheels. I asked a hardwood log buyer about this and he verified that the Logmax steel wheels are gentler than Waratah's. The pressure they set the wheels at though has the majority to do with it though. He showed us an example of what happens when the pressure is turned up too far on a Waratah. The bruising is very evident and deep; takes a $700/mbf log and automatically turns it into a $250/mbf dollar log. See ya Monday or Tuesday man!

  809. #809SPMiller2013-08-26 03:35
  810. #810ap40rocktruck2013-08-26 08:46

    That is quite the load. What's it weigh? I assume that the house is tilted back & to the right so as to get the top of the cab as low as possible?? Or being an east coaster i just have no clue. LOL Any other shots? Ap40

  811. #811skadill2013-08-27 23:14

    Old Loaders RB auction flyer pics from the 80's.

  812. #812SPMiller2013-08-30 16:58
  813. #813firetransport2013-09-03 22:25

    I've never seen a log yard that clean, how do u guys do it ?

  814. #814cutting edge2013-09-04 08:07

    What is it with you yanks and the side entry riser cabs????????

  815. #815ap40rocktruck2013-09-04 10:44

    Cause the hard way is the only way we understand! :beatsme Ap40

  816. #816nateberry12013-09-04 12:23

    Some nice machines you got there. I have gotten a lot of pictures lately. I'll see if I can downsize them and post em up.

  817. #817nateberry12013-09-04 12:40

    Here are a few photos from my neck of the woods.

  818. #818OlympicYJ2013-09-04 13:33

    As I've been told they are cheaper than the rear entry. Were headed toward rear entry for safety/longterm health crap. Big brother at work. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  819. #819John C.2013-09-04 22:29

    We figured out that if the operator couldn't get in the cab without falling off, he shouldn't be in the woods anyway Actually the safety people couldn't show where anyone had ever fallen off the side of the machine and since there were no accidents, no risk! I don't know of anyone down here except the Deere people who have a rear entry. Those machines are made in Canada so they get rear entry. I hated the rear entry machines. Shifted wiring harnesses, rodent issues in the risers and the extra weight on the slew bearing on one side meant lots of expensive problems.

  820. #820S.R.Contractors2013-09-08 16:04

    30 thousand dollars more for the rear entry. Here's my 240 Link-Belt

  821. #821Colorado Digger2013-09-08 17:07

    Forgive my ignorance but is it a big deal getting your lunch box up into one of those puppies? Regards, CD Afterthought- I guess the new style lunch boxes with a shoulder strap would work.

  822. #822boardbysled2013-09-08 17:28

    Various N. Idaho equipment

  823. #823SPMiller2013-09-09 13:46

    Everything in that yard is for Export and is already debarked. Makes a world of difference as far as cleanliness is concerned.

  824. #824SPMiller2013-09-09 13:48

    Are the grindings being sold for biomass or what's the product being sold as?

  825. #825SPMiller2013-09-18 12:29

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krM7ltlLUOc&feature=share&list=UUBgX0BRgHMNpoPVr4YbuCpw

  826. #826boardbysled2013-09-18 21:21

    Hog fuel I assume. Boiler operators don't like it because its usually so dirty.

  827. #827Vigilant2013-09-18 21:44

    I distinctly heard a double breasted Yamaha in the first few seconds.

  828. #828Hayesno12013-11-14 14:59

    Cat 966C loader

  829. #829DirectTech2013-12-05 19:16

    This has been my project for the past couple weeks, a Volvo ECR235D with a Ponsse H8 head

  830. #830loggers son2013-12-16 18:54

    330 dfm vs pc 400 new pc 400 with 624c waratah delivered earlier this year. a side by side comparison with my 330d fm for all us machine mad people.Sorry about the blur in the middle of the pictures,was something on the lens i hadn't noticed.

  831. #831loggers son2013-12-16 18:57

    In the immortal words of some famous movie star " I pulled out just enough to win"

  832. #832loggers son2013-12-16 19:05

    car bodies are the same height

  833. #833loggers son2013-12-16 19:08

    hoses on the boom and stick are well protected

  834. #834loggers son2013-12-16 19:15

    will get better shots of the 400 in the new year.It has some neat features trev

  835. #835blooper2013-12-16 20:08

    I hate to ask this but..... What makes a roadbuilder a roadbuilder and not just an excavator with armour/guards?

  836. #836John C.2013-12-16 20:12

    A road builder has a high and wide undercarriage, usually the cab is on a tilting riser so it can be tipped for transport and all the usual shovel logger guarding installed plus bottom rollers installed for tope rollers.

  837. #837SPMiller2014-01-07 00:00

    Here's a good example of a roadbuilder undercarriage^ This Link Belt is also for sale. 1 year old, under exteneded warranty for a few more years, 1580hrs.

  838. #838loggers son2014-01-26 17:40

    pc 400 from above has on on board grease system fuel tank has been moved to counterweight and is covered when bonnet is down to help prevent theft of fuel extra cooler with great access to engine compartment over the top of fire suppression system

  839. #839SPMiller2014-01-30 03:26

    Who does the conversions to these machines?

  840. #840loggers son2014-01-31 00:55

    is a new zealand company will find out their name next week trev.

  841. #841SuperSnorkle2014-02-17 09:03

    Does any one have pictures of feller bunchers converted to road builders?

  842. #842spitzair2014-02-19 11:04

    Yes, I have some, I'll post them when I get home tonight, they're not on my work computer...

  843. #843spitzair2014-02-19 21:21

    Is this kinda what you had in mind? This thing used to be a feller buncher that they turned back into a road builder...

  844. #844donkey doctor2014-02-20 00:06

    MY god is that ever ugly! d.d.

  845. #845loggers son2014-02-20 04:22

    fresh out of the box today 855 with 624c waratah

  846. #846SuperSnorkle2014-02-20 08:49

    not exactly, I meant a fellerbuncher with the oringial felling boom and a bucket instead of the felling head

  847. #847spitzair2014-02-20 09:09

    Ok, sorry I don't have any like that...

  848. #848skadill2014-02-22 14:59

    1958 American Line Loader Video of it working here- http://youtu.be/eahsan0RO8w Was told before it is a 7250 model.The one behind is a 1972 American 599.Took the pics a couple years ago,but got a video of it running the other day.

  849. #8490752014-02-22 15:04

    Cat thinking inside the box

  850. #850jegracing2014-02-28 11:39

    We keep all the loose bark scraped up and we have a vacuum/sweeper truck

  851. #851Deere500a2014-02-28 15:33

    Some awesome videos you got Skadill.

  852. #852Plebeian2014-02-28 16:59

    The NZ/ Aus Komatsu Forestry excavator conversions are most likely completed by 'Electrical and Machinery Service', Rotorua NZ (EMS for short). Combined with Ensign, they do the Woodsmanpro harvesting/processing heads. http://www.woodsmanpro.co.nz/default.aspx Looking at the Komatsu -it is a combination of supplied parts - auto-greaser, fire suppression, Waratah head etc

  853. #853loggers son2014-02-28 18:39

    I was out at the pc 400 yesterday while the komatsu mechanic was doing some warranty work. He was pretty sure it's EMS that does the conversion. the operator is loving it, he reckons it runs the head better than the timbco 475 he was in before.

  854. #854MutsMachines2014-03-07 16:50

    Hitachi zaxis 200LC Denharco dt 4100 limber

  855. #855Scott S2014-03-23 10:49

    Two of our 295 Kobelcos fitted with Logmax heads dueling on who can get the most stems... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S1870V8hQc

  856. #856S.R.Contractors2014-03-24 23:06

    Looking good scott. I like the rear entry cabs personally!

  857. #857SPMiller2014-04-13 14:08
  858. #858NZ Engineer2014-05-18 17:50

    Here is a couple of pics I found of our first steep slope harvester doing its thing in the Rai Valley... will put up some pics of the latest machine once I work out how to reduce the size of them... ha

  859. #859HCF2014-05-19 00:06

    Here's our 2007 2054. Used to belong to Fraser Excavation Ltd. out of Surrey BC. Now belongs to Northwest Forestry Company out of Springfield OR.

  860. #860Bremcoe2014-06-02 23:06

    So that's where it went! You got yourself the cleanest 2054 you could of found. I know that girl as my buddy has been with frazer for 10 years. I tried hunting it down when I found out it was traded but I got beat! Lol :Banghead as far as I know that one did little to no bush work and it shows. Good buy for sure. Here's me new to me 06 2054, it's currently on vacation getting pampered at brandt should have it back in a week. Also my 1992 ex200-2 and a new 370 forester at wajax.

  861. #861HCF2014-06-02 23:48
  862. #862SPMiller2014-08-02 14:44

    The Straits Logger is in the fraser river right now with this pc1100 on it right now throwing bundells. Pretty ugly looking but cool

  863. #863Hallback2014-08-02 23:37

    My new (to me) 2954D. 3600hrs

  864. #864Hayesno12014-08-19 14:29

    Wagner log stacker

  865. #865MutsMachines2014-08-28 17:56

    log loader for railway ties

  866. #866madill man2014-09-12 20:32

    some road builders

  867. #867JGibson2014-11-08 10:00

    bump

  868. #868Chopper952014-12-10 13:27

    Any one have any photos of the newer CAT forestry models? I'm trying to find 568LL / FM with processing heads on them, but not having much luck. Happy Holidays!

  869. #8699420pullpan2014-12-10 18:40
  870. #8709420pullpan2014-12-10 18:43
  871. #8719420pullpan2014-12-10 18:46
  872. #8729420pullpan2014-12-10 18:49

    Thats all i have found

  873. #873dirty4fun2014-12-10 19:03

    That road builder with the hydraulic thumb would be enjoyable to operate. The cab looks narrow, but sitting up high enough to see your work sure would be nice.

  874. #874skadill2014-12-10 20:00

    I had already posted these 568 RB pics I took at Harrison Lake BC,quite a while back.page 27 post 395

  875. #875JGibson2014-12-12 16:57

    Some New England Processors and Loaders. Pretty rare finds for around here. Doosan DX225LL-3 with Logmax 7000XT Daewoo 300LL

  876. #876Jbirse252014-12-15 12:50

    Timberline delimber Cat 545C Volvo ECR305CL Tigercat L830

  877. #877Chopper952014-12-25 00:51

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all! Remember to stay safe over the long weekend, we want to hear about it! :thumbsup Back on topic... Staying diligent on my CAT 586 search (at least trying to) paid off since I found a couple nice quality shots of a machine that's up for sale, crazy how big that Waratah 625 is. Excellent machine in my mind, Madill makes good product too. Enjoy! One shot is from Vanner Logging in New Zealand running a Woodsman Pro head

  878. #878theironoracle2014-12-25 10:58

    I always wondered why people left the heal rack on after they installed a processing head. I would think not having that extra weight on the end and the extra visibility would out way any possible advantage of still having the heal. I think these pictures prove I'm not the only one with that theory. Merry Christ mas ...TIO

  879. #879Shimmy12014-12-25 12:07

    You can have that Doosan. Ran an excavator for about an hour this summer. That cab, for me, is awful. Control levers way to low, and way to close to my knees. I suppose it doesn't help that I'm 6'4" and 280 lbs. Thought the machine operated fair, not much power in the stick.

  880. #880JGibson2014-12-25 12:35

    I can't say anything about this machine, it isn't mine haha, saw it from the road and went in to check it out. I would rather have a case then one of these doosans but I don't mind them. We have a good dealer around here and we rent a lot of doosan machines from them. They hold up, they aren't the best machine on the market but for the price they aren't bad.

  881. #881Shimmy12014-12-25 12:45

    Ya buddy. I have a Case 210C. I've ran most of them out there, I prefer Case hydraulics. Cat builds a good one, I just can't justify extra costs involved in owning a Cat. Does Case even build a road builder? I suppose it would be white, ha. Just like if you want a Deere, it'll be orange.

  882. #882JGibson2014-12-25 12:55

    Case's are good excavators, we run mostly Link Belt and love them. Tried cats, and don't like the new E series much. Case doesn't build forestry equipment, but Link Belt does. Those Link Belt road builders are great machines. How is the fuel economy on the 210? We are looking at getting a 235X3

  883. #883Shimmy12014-12-25 13:29

    I've had a few on here refuse to believe it, but if you can stand to run it in auto mode, I've gone almost 40 hrs on a tank of fuel cleaning ditch. Not the heaviest work, but nowhere near the lightest either. For a 50,000 lb hoe, I don't think any other brand will run as cheap. But, turn it up all the way and you will notice the fuel burned.

  884. #884Shimmy12014-12-25 13:35

    The only thing that is a bona fide P.I.T.A. is the DPF. I've been kind of fussy, I will not interrupt it, and I always pay attention to where the gauge is, so if it's cold out, and it's getting close to a regen, I'll just leave the engine throttled up until it gets to it and done. I've put 670 hrs on it without an interrupted, failed, or manual regen.

  885. #885Wacko2014-12-31 01:47

    Found this machine for sale while surfing the internet. Not really sure where to put it so I'll put it here for some enjoyment. Here's the information to go with it if anyone's curious. http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9090117

  886. #886kiwi450x2014-12-31 02:12

    The first question for me would be: How many times has it been around the clock?

  887. #887kiwi450x2014-12-31 02:16

    And the second question would be: Why the hell didn't they give it a clean up be for putting it on the market?? Even a half hearted clean would have been an improvement.

  888. #888MutsMachines2014-12-31 18:30

    even with the things already said that is still a very cool machine. that boom and grapple are very cool with the high rise cab you could make sum nice big piles and load or unload trucks in a breeze. I would love to try that thing out.

  889. #889Chopper952015-01-01 15:51

    It's quite the piece, you don't see triple piece booms on logging equipment that often, or watch towers for cab risers Either way, I bet that thing has some reach on it! Would be fun to play with for a few hours.

  890. #890Chopper952015-01-01 22:13

    Well after going through about 40 pages on this thread, I realized what I was looking for was on page one ... felt like a pretty big dummy Anyways... Was curious to see if this piece ever got turned into a log loader or if it kept on building roads? Blows my mind that machines this big can stomp around the woods and be productive to a degree, still a cool piece three or four years later! :cool2 Happy New Year everyone!

  891. #891Chopper952015-01-04 16:17

    Found this the other day and thought it was worth sharing. Don't know if any of you are operating up in this area or have maybe seen this machine, but Ainsworth Lumber out of Grande Prairie, Alberta has been running a John Deere 800C as a log loader for the past eleven years and it still looks like it's going strong. The piece has a lot of neat features on it; undercarriage was stretched to be 20ft by 20ft, has double AC & heating units/ pressurized cab, I think the reach is right around 50ft, grapple is a four cord capacity and pieces are about 16ft long generally - lots more, can read about it in the linked article. http://www.forestnet.com/archives/Dec_Jan_03/millyard_equipment.htm Retail price at the time was $1.5 million for the 800 chassis and I think a 600 chassis option was available; the mill claims it's the biggest log loader in operation to date... not sure if that's true or not, but an 800 is a might big machine. I actually contacted the author of the article to see if he had any other pictures, but they were shot using film and he threw them out a number of years ago :bash I've done my best to cut a few from the YouTube video, but the smaller ones are originals from when the machine was new. The video is worth watching too! [video=youtube;Yxo8acP7eJE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxo8acP7eJE&list=LLblCWHCLFMRBMV3yWSjoJRA&index=1[/video]

  892. #892hoechucker2015-01-10 11:20

    Got put on deck duty this last week got to run this thing.I haven't seen one on here so I thought I'd put one on 345c with what I'm guessing is at least a 50' jewel boom and grapple, with expanding track frame and elevator cab.

  893. #893Chopper952015-01-10 14:18

    Nice machine! Don't see things like that come up too often, post more pics of you got them!

  894. #894MutsMachines2015-01-17 02:21

    that 800 is a nice machine. I run and do similar work with a liebherr 904 and I must say I would love to operate a giant one like that.

  895. #895SPMiller2015-06-10 01:32

    It has become a Log Loader. Working daily.

  896. #896Killbox Alpha2015-07-05 17:50

    That's impressive!

  897. #897Waycon2018-01-19 10:56

    ...some of the recent conversions that have gone through the shop.

  898. #898Waycon2018-01-19 19:03

    Well that didn't work for very long. Is there a way to edit or delete a post? And is there a way to upload images direct to this forum in a post?

  899. #899mitch5042018-01-19 20:33

    You can only edit posts for an hour, but if you click the "upload a file" button, you can put pics directly on HEF. I was going to ask about something in one of those pics, but I can't remember what.

  900. #900Doug19662018-01-19 20:40

    Hi, problem is photbucket is now charging to share pictures. Switch to Flickr. They've killed alot of forums. Thanks Doug.

  901. #901diamondtguy2018-01-19 20:41

    Looks like you uploaded from photobucket which now wants money to host your pics.I upload all my pics for this site off my computer (my pics file) directly.Actually easier than photo bucket.

  902. #902Waycon2018-01-22 10:13

    Ah... here goes...

  903. #903Waycon2018-01-22 10:16

    Few more...

  904. #904Birken Vogt2018-01-22 11:21

    Anybody care to comment on the placement of the crowd ram above or below the main boom?

  905. #905Tones2018-01-22 16:38

    I think having the ram under the boom will give it more lifting power same as a faceshovel. Having the ram on the top of the boom will give it more power to drag the dipper in, same as a conventional excavator.

  906. #906Waycon2018-01-22 16:50

    Forestry booms have the main boom cylinders underneath. A shovel is designed to have mechanical advantage down low. More power for digging. These log loaders have the geometry altered for more range of motion and more power up high. For loading logs into trucks etc.

  907. #907John Shipp2018-01-23 02:15

    It's interesting that combo machines have excavator fronts, I've rarely seen a bucket linkage on a log loader front. The compromise of ram placement must be in favour of the excavator front if doing both loading and digging, and I was concerned when fitting a live heel on a small excavator that it would fail to hold position. When maxed out on lift power you can continue out further as long as you don't touch the joystick functions, the reliefs are high enough to hold it I suppose. I would imagine using a log loader front to excavate with would not be the same with regard to this holding by the reliefs and it would just be gutless? That's my peasant take on it, anyway! Lol

  908. #908Birken Vogt2018-01-23 08:45

    The reason I asked is because those Hyundais in the first picture look like serious forestry machines all except for the boom design. Especially the one with the big processor. I wonder why they built them that way and yet there is another Hyundai with the crowd ram underneath like a usual forestry machine.

  909. #909Waycon2018-01-23 10:07

    Short answer is money. Cheaper to use the factory boom than buy a dedicated forestry one. Forestry boom and stick combo works better, lasts longer and costs more... ...note that when using the excavator boom, we install something we call a "boom riser". It basically moves the base of the boom cylinder up. This gives the machine more range of motion and more power "up" almost as if it had a forestry boom and stick.

  910. #910John C.2018-01-23 12:12

    From my time around logging machinery and watching the evolution of booms, heel racks and grapples; the logging front with the cylinders underneath make the machine easier to use to load logging trucks. The stakes on the truck and trailer combinations are at least nine feet high and the lengths of the truck and trailer combination was from twenty to forty feet long. The cabs were raised to enable better vision when the load got higher on the trailer. An excavator boom is a little limited on reach and lifting height. The excavator setups you see in the photos would be called road builders in this area. Environmental regulations that started coming about in the seventies and eighties meant you could no longer use and dozer to pioneer logging roads and that you could not do anything to affect streams. The practice of just pushing a ledge in the side of a hill and letting the spoil run down the hill was stopped. Now if you have to cut a ledge in the hill you have to load that material in a truck and store it somewhere and then use it for fill somewhere else. The excavator was the perfect machine to fit that application. A simple bucket and thumb was the ticket for clearing the right of way, stripping top soil, grubbing stumps and moving logs. You can use those machines for loading logs when needed but production wise they are usually slow. I have seen plenty of quick coupler units that can change to a grapple when needed for loading. You should also note that a road builder usually only has an eighteen inch cab riser installed and most do not tilt for transport.

  911. #911Birken Vogt2018-01-23 12:35

    My main thought is that with an excavator type setup the crowd cylinder packing will always be under major pressure and also there is oil displacement from the push rod meaning less surface area/higher pressure to do the work. Are these real concerns in actual practice?

  912. #912John C.2018-01-23 12:40

    The cylinder forces are all calculated and set by the bore diameter of the cylinders. What people keep getting confused about is that these machines are no longer just excavators modified for a purpose. Logging shovels are engineered to move logs and not much of anything else. Road builders are the swiss army knife in the woods that can be used for most anything. But they don't move logs as well as the logging shovel.

  913. #913Waycon2018-01-23 17:52

    Swiss army knife. Yep, I like that description. Our standard cab riser (that you see in the pics) is 12". But you can custom order whatever you like. I've done maybe two 18" risers in the last 10 years. And maybe four 48" tilt risers that have the factory cab under a FOPS guard on top.

  914. #914Waycon2018-01-30 10:50

    A 220 Swiss Army Knife with a Warratah. Somebody let me know if I'm hijacking the thread/posting too many pictures

  915. #915hvy 1ton2018-01-30 17:16

    Roadbuilder pictures are always welcome.

  916. #916John Shipp2018-01-31 01:28

    Waycon, this is the thread for them, those Hyundai are looking good. Don't hold back Cheers.

  917. #917Waycon2018-01-31 18:10

    All the permission I need. Here's a log loader we did for export to the US. 48" tilt riser, FOPS, Hardened side panels, Catwalks, Belly pans, high post tool box guard... one photo of it leaving our shop, the other photo is at the Oregon logging show once boom etc was installed at the dealership. Only one we've done like this, kind of an unusual bird for us. Usually in BC they want the full forestry cab with Lexan windows, and the counterweight moved back with the auxiliary fuel tank.

  918. #918Hallback2018-01-31 18:18

    That was for Cascade Trader.

  919. #919John C.2018-01-31 18:40

    Is that a Young front?

  920. #920Waycon2018-01-31 18:45

    Looks like it. Can't say for sure, the pic with no boom is how it left here...

  921. #921Born2clearcut2018-02-01 08:52

    One of my loaders and a road builder

  922. #922Hallback2018-02-01 09:26

    No, the boom was made by an outside company.

  923. #923Betelgeuse2018-02-14 16:26

    What do you mean by regen?

  924. #924donkey doctor2018-02-14 19:09

    Is that a model of a scow those machines are on. Would like to see pics of it if that's what it is. d.d.

  925. #925Born2clearcut2018-02-15 10:58

    Yes d.d. that what it is. Due to a work injury I had some time on my hands. I built a tug boat from a Billing Boats expert kit of the 'Smit Rotterdam' and I fiberglassed over wooden planked hull so it could be remote controlled. Then I needed something to tow so I milled up some red cedar and made the barge. I glassed the hull and made up small fir planks for the decking. The deck slides off the stern to gain access to inside of the hull for adding ballast and to install R/C stuff for raising and lowering ramp. Of course I needed something to go on barge that's when I started building machines. The tape measure is overall length of tug and barge.

  926. #926donkey doctor2018-02-15 16:33

    Wow! Very nice. So you probably don't display it on the mantle over the fireplace ea. d.d.

  927. #927Betelgeuse2018-03-20 16:15

    Finally had time and not rushing to the ferry to swing by and check out this dry land sort. I followed a load truck to the scale and snapped a pick. Didn’t feel right trying to go in and snap more pictures during a busy time of the day. This yard is half way between Burlington and Anacortes on the slough.

  928. #928Betelgeuse2018-03-20 21:34

    This sort is up in Bellingham. There was a security check point with a security guard. I asked if I could just take a picture just on the other side of the gate. He said no cause it is on port property. Then I asked if I could take a picture through the fence. Same answer. So I got a picture from the street above it.

  929. #929Betelgeuse2018-03-20 21:35

    Here is the sign for the sort between Anacortes and Burlington

  930. #930John Shipp2018-03-21 02:43

    Much activity going on in the sort, many people logging near there?

  931. #931Betelgeuse2018-03-21 07:58

    Wish I could truly answer that but I live on San Juan Island and I don’t get to the mainland a whole bunch. But the two sorts were full of logs and sierra pacific mill on highway 20 yard was full. My guess is the activity is pretty good. When I am off island I usually see a hand full of loaded trucks heading for the sorts in skagit valley. It’s interesting when you drive highway 20 into Burlington you can see all the different blocks up on the foot hills of the cascades. It’s a pretty sight when there is a dusting of snow low in the mountains. Wish I could have been able to get better pictures. I don’t get logging photo opportunities a lot.

  932. #932Doug19662018-03-22 11:58

    Check facebook page west coast log truckers, lots of guys from the area on there.

  933. #933Hallback2018-03-23 12:43
  934. #934John C.2018-03-23 17:49

    Skate Creek Road and the Mountain Highway?

  935. #935Hallback2018-03-23 18:44

    Yessir!

  936. #936John Shipp2018-03-24 02:48

    Hallback, that machine looks slightly different to the 2954D you posted up thread, looks fairly new. Decent size machine, very nice.

  937. #937hvy 1ton2018-03-24 03:14

    Carbody looks like the new G series. He picked up a 3756G a while back. Here's the pic shiny side up.

  938. #938Betelgeuse2018-03-24 10:40

    Is this Washington?

  939. #939Hallback2018-03-24 15:29

    Yes, it is the new G Series 3756. It is a great machine. My old 2954 is headed to California.

  940. #940Jumbo2018-04-02 01:17

    Too bad the photo is a KW vs. a Pete. TA Peterman developed the "Skate Creek Diesel Log Truck," up there Now known as a Peterbuilt.

  941. #941Hallback2018-04-04 18:09

    Well, this is proof that these things are extremely stable.

  942. #942John C.2018-04-04 21:05

    It is amazing the ground you guys are falling and shovel logging on now days.

  943. #943Hallback2018-04-04 21:34

    Isn't it? This was not intentional though as the processor operator slid that machine all the way to the bottom last night and was there all night long. It took 580 feet of inch and 1/8 line to reach it and my 3756 shovel and D7 to get it out of there. We used the shovel to pull and the D7 to Corner block off of. Main thing is the machine is okay & the operator didn't get hurt but we did lose five hours of logging time with the yarder this morning screwing around with this.

  944. #944Betelgeuse2018-04-05 10:31

    Looks like you need one of those processor with built in winch to belay down the hill

  945. #945Crummy2018-04-05 11:21

    My buddy slid a machine down a slope like that (intentionally). " You guys are a bunch of chicken sheets, I'll do it." Made it to the bottom, got out on the engine cover and beat his chest at everyone up on the road watching, got back in & backed up.......over a stump and laid it on it's side.

  946. #946Hallback2018-04-05 14:04

    What is something this flipping retard would do.

  947. #947Froadin2018-04-13 10:43

    Older machine in good shape.

  948. #948Froadin2018-04-13 20:01

    BTW, I just picked up that EL300B Roadbuilder.

  949. #949John Shipp2018-04-16 14:57

    Looks good. Runs well you say? Nice find.

  950. #950Mother Deuce2018-04-16 15:11

    You'd have had to bring up the fire wagon to muck out the cab if I had been running it... that may have exceeded operational sphincter pressures!

  951. #951Froadin2018-04-16 15:32

    Yeah, runs great. Almost everything is new. Motor was rebuilt about 200 hours ago, all the rollers, pins, sprockets show almost no wear. The bucket was rebuilt with thicker/better steel, etc. She does drink the fuel though. Not like the newer engines that are more efficient.

  952. #952John Shipp2018-04-16 15:41

    Nice! Next time you have the engine cover up, could you snap a photo? Maybe a shot taken from the front too! That is tidy looking machine. Cheers

  953. #953Froadin2018-04-16 16:16

    Here is a front shot of it squeezing through a very tight fit. I'll get some engine pictures this weekend.

  954. #954Froadin2018-05-04 19:29

    OK, finally got a few pictures.

  955. #955John Shipp2018-05-05 02:15

    Thanks Froadin, good to see a proper old engine once in a while. Classic. You got digging projects for the Cat?

  956. #956Froadin2018-05-05 10:39

    Yeah, I have some fence lines with some large stumps that need to go away. Then some ponds, root cellar, etc.

  957. #957Hallback2018-05-09 21:29

    Here is our newest acquisition. By far the most comfortable cab yet. I have a 38" inseam & can stretch my legs out fully til my knees lock! I actually Had to slide the seat forward to reach the forward travel pedals, I was not stocked up after running it either unlike our Deeres.

  958. #958Hallback2018-05-09 21:30

    Sorry for the multiples.

  959. #959John C.2018-05-09 22:38

    I always liked the paint scheme on those. Is that a Waratah and what model is it?

  960. #960Birken Vogt2018-05-09 22:48

    Do you watch Daniel Boone, Alex Esgate and friends? You have got to do a nice long video of that thing working.

  961. #961JPV2018-05-10 00:17

    That looks like a dandy! Here is a roadbuilder I just picked up in Longview the other day, the second one the outfit I work for bought. Sorry for the bad pic, taken in the sun so I couldn't see the screen.

  962. #962hvy 1ton2018-05-10 00:44

    Those are some beautiful shots of the new processor Hallback. The new link-belts seem a little under-hp for their weight. Some of it seems to be that they have even more U/C than normal for forestry machines. Maybe they are just heavy for their classes. Either way, I'd hear you thoughts on performance after a couple months. What are the plans for the Barko processor? Roadbuilder pics are always great. The folding cab on the 18" risers really gets the transport height down.

  963. #963Hallback2018-05-10 05:26

    Yes, it's a 623c with the optional 3rd delimb arm.

  964. #964Hallback2018-05-10 05:28

    I didn't know you worked for Robbie? He is a great guy for sure!!

  965. #965Hallback2018-05-10 05:33

    Barko went back. Lack of support was our biggest complaint. Yes, the new 40 series are all about 5-6k heavier per class compared to their predecessors. It has plenty of power for the little (10+/- hrs) I have run it though.

  966. #966Madill 1242019-01-18 15:11

    hi, does anyone know the weight of a john deere 892E log loader. thanks

  967. #967Plebeian2019-01-18 18:56

    John Deere 892E LC excavator is around 67450 lbs so the high rise log loader version is going to more than that, depending on the shoes, grapple design etc. Even the fuel weight makes difference - empty or full tank on the larger machines.

  968. #968Hallback2019-01-18 20:19

    Last I remember, they were around 88k

  969. #969John C.2019-01-18 21:03

    I seem to recall one going across the scales, dirt and all at 90K.

  970. #970Mother Deuce2019-01-19 08:11

    I agree. A lot of them have additional counter slabs. However 90 is probably close. If I was going to put it on 9 behind a 105,000 licensed tractor and was 65,000 empty and thought 90 was good I would request my permit for 159,999 it would leave me with 4,999 pounds of slack and still costs 1.14 per mile

  971. #971Born2clearcut2019-02-14 11:20

    Where's the trucks!!

  972. #972skadill2019-02-14 11:43

    Probably getting ready to have their truck pics in the Logging Accidents,and they walked away thread tomorrow.winter finally showed up.

  973. #973John C.2019-02-14 12:08

    I'd guess they are waiting for a dozer to pull them around one of the switch backs.

  974. #974Hallback2019-02-14 12:26

    You guys are all wrong. They are sitting down at the cafe eating biscuits and gravy drinking coffee as there is no way in hell they are going to throw iron and play in the snow.

  975. #9757.82Warbird2019-02-16 17:18

    At the Country Cousin, I'm sure.

  976. #976Hallback2019-02-16 18:40

    I'm sure there is a side of chicken fried steak then too!

  977. #977Jimmy Severson2019-05-04 00:51

    Here’s a couple of the last roadbuilders we’ve bought.

  978. #978John Shipp2019-05-04 02:02

    Hi Jimmy, welcome to HEF. Looking forward to seeing your pics, think you need to post 5 messages on here before it lets you upload photos, just in case you're scratching your head

  979. #979Hallback2019-05-04 16:52

    Jimmy has been around here for years. He has a road construction & crushing company. They build some of the finest roads that I have seen. They do excellent work.

  980. #980Betelgeuse2019-05-04 19:43

    Driving through industrial part of Everett Washington to avoid traffic on I-5 and ran across these oldies and one newbie. Also stumbled across the mill where we get our lumber from on San Juan island.

  981. #981Betelgeuse2019-05-04 19:45

    Here’s of the picks. picks of the Canyon mill yard

  982. #982Jimmy Severson2019-05-05 14:24

    Ok thanks John yeah I’ll give it a go once I figure it out I’ll post a few pics of our 548, doosans and Deeres we’ve had. Thanks! Jimmy

  983. #983Bremcoe2019-06-29 00:53

    Quesnel BC custom high walker converted in May 2019- 2005 zx200-1 and a 2001 Hyundai 210 robex

  984. #984JPV2019-06-29 09:08

    That Hitachi looks great! Did you guys swap the undercarriage or was that already under it? What is the idea behind the attachment, it looks pretty interesting.

  985. #985Mother Deuce2019-06-29 09:57

    Seems like there used to be a crane outfit in that yard... where the fat allis is

  986. #986Bremcoe2019-06-29 11:52

    Yes it was a complete bottom swap. The attachment it used for silviculture work prepping blocks for new trees.

  987. #987John Shipp2019-06-29 15:29

    Bremcoe, good looking pair of excavators. For some reason I like the colour scheme on that series of Hitachi more than later ones. The Hyundai looks very similar to a picture csquared posted on #2 of this thread. Apart from triple grousers and some pipework and protection on the boom, same machine? Any more pics? ! Cheers.

  988. #988Bremcoe2019-06-29 23:07
  989. #989Bremcoe2019-06-29 23:12

    Years later, but any more photos of the Hyundai? I think one of our owner operators owns that machine now.

  990. #990hoechucker2019-08-03 21:59

    Let's get this page going again

  991. #991hoechucker2019-08-03 22:06

    I forgot to mention that this is a loader,a limber,and if the ground is easy enough it could be a road builder

  992. #992hoechucker2019-08-04 11:06
  993. #993Hallback2019-08-04 12:30
  994. #994Hallback2019-08-04 12:32

    How does the grapple processor do loading? Can you load smaller timber quickly?

  995. #995GregsHD2019-08-04 12:41

    Yeah I've never seen a dangle head used to load, could get expensive in a hurry!

  996. #996hoechucker2019-08-04 12:52

    It's ok. Its not as easy to load with as the Peirce but it processed better. It loads small logs way better than big ones,and shirt loggers are a bit of a pain since the head pretty much takes up all the space between the bunks and blocks your view of the headache rack. Id rather load with a grapple but all in all once you get over the learning curve they do pretty good

  997. #997hoechucker2019-08-04 12:55

    Average 12-17 minutes in small stuff. It's definitely not as fast as a shovel but it cuts the expense of a shovel,operator,and fuel.

  998. #998John C.2019-08-04 12:59

    Is that hour meter correct on that stroker?

  999. #999Hallback2019-08-04 16:05

    Nice to know. I know the Pierce loads better as it has two sets of grab arms but I have never heard anything good about the head overall other than its ability to load. The Southstar is essentially there QS600 processor but without the long hanging bracket and with better grab arms. It will Buck just as much wood as the processor counterpart, just you cannot fall with it. I am really considering getting one to eliminate one machine and operator and fuel card on our Landing. For our little yarder only yarding six to seven loads per day I think it would do just fine.

  1000. #1000Hallback2019-08-04 16:05

    Yessir.

  1001. #1001Hallback2019-08-04 16:07

    We load with ours often.

  1002. #1002hoechucker2019-08-04 16:21

    I fall with this one on occasion,it's not easy but it gets it done. I'm running the 635 so its capable of eating a lot of f wood in a day. Seems like we've been getting 10-12 loads a day pretty consistent and if the yarder is decking ahead of me with the grapples I can get more loads than that. My best day so far was 20 something loads. And most were 30+ logs with double ended short logs. They are a very handy machine but all that handling of the logs is pretty hard on it

  1003. #1003hoechucker2019-08-08 10:13
  1004. #1004Hallback2019-08-08 17:04

    BC?

  1005. #1005hoechucker2019-08-08 18:23

    N. Cal. That's redwood

  1006. #1006hoechucker2019-08-08 18:36

    took off to load a truck and came back to these

  1007. #1007hoechucker2019-11-04 10:00
  1008. #1008csquared2019-11-23 21:17

    no sir, still original owner, sitting in princeton

  1009. #1009Hallback2019-11-23 22:42

    Anybody on here have or know of a 325 or 330 Road builder for sale? I need one for my new tethering base.

  1010. #1010Hallback2019-11-23 22:43

    Anybody on here have or know of a 325 or 330 Road builder for sale? I need one for my new tethering base.

  1011. #1011Hallback2019-11-23 22:44

    Anybody on here have or know of a 325 or 330 Road builder for sale? I need one for my new tethering base.

  1012. #1012John Shipp2019-11-24 05:10

    Looking back at this picture, can the head be continuously rotated with the oil routed through the rotator? Edit. Because I'm trying to figure out if I can mount a keto off a heel, but the way the hoses attach I reckon they'll tangle round the heel.

  1013. #1013John Shipp2019-11-24 05:23

    to make it turn and move around better in rough ground, over obstacles (large stumps), drainage channels etc.

  1014. #1014John Shipp2019-11-24 05:35

    can push down like this without twisting the head too much, maybe fabricate up a plate that pins onto the lifting eye on the q/hitch. As a thinning machine, any permanent large foot or plate would likely get in the way too much.

  1015. #1015Hallback2019-11-24 08:10

    Yes, the 623c on the linkbelt has a 360* continuous rotation. Keto's do not. You can run long hoses and get it to make a 360 cycle but must return rotate to unwind them or you will rip the wires out of their junction block. (Done it too many times)

  1016. #1016John Shipp2019-11-24 08:23

    LOL yes, the hoses currently fitted allow about 300* before looking tight. that linkbelt and 623c is a beaut. cheers

  1017. #1017Skeans12019-11-24 11:03

    We use to see the small thinning excavator conversions with a foot on them here on the west cost it wasn’t any wider then the back bone of the head.

  1018. #1018John Shipp2019-11-24 11:22

    Hi Skeans, was is a foot in the similar shape to a heel, but without the actual heel flare on the end?

  1019. #1019Skeans12019-11-24 11:40

    Yes, I’ve seen some videos and pictures of the pin on squirts you have available over there with foot as well. This squirt is a long one but an idea. Just out of curiosity are you required to use the calipers with your keto over there?

  1020. #1020John Shipp2019-11-24 11:59

    Is squirt a name for the foot attachment, or just a general term for a small harvester LOL ?

  1021. #1021John Shipp2019-11-24 12:07

    This is the one I wanted, but had to get the sensible squirt for thinnings!

  1022. #1022Skeans12019-11-24 12:12

    A squirt boom is the piece that slides in and out as an extension boom allowing for more reach. This video has a pretty good view of one as a foot/extension.

  1023. #1023Skeans12019-11-24 12:41

    @John Shipp Did you look into the Neuson brand? https://www.neuson-forest.at/index.php?id=4&L=1

  1024. #1024John Shipp2019-11-24 13:04

    Ah, got it. That Kesla boom is exactly what I am thinking of. Will go and Google search that, great video, thanks. Yes, Neuson machines look very good, two main things that have stopped me from getting one is they are simply not common here so would have to be new machine without local backup (= too expensive). The other thing is that a Hyundai 15 tonne converted excavator can be used for many roles beyond thinnings harvesting, which for me means a grapple for handling bigger logs, a bucket of course, and a rake when I get one. Also got good local back up on the brand. I can imagine the Neuson would be a whole different experience as a harvester though. Cheers mate, John. Edit: I've actually been looking out for a used Neuson the last couple of years, but not come across one.

  1025. #1025John Shipp2019-11-25 03:51

    Didn't see this the first time through. Do you mean for setting diameter calibration? For weekly checks of the diameter sensors /calibration etc. a set of calipers make it quicker. The head is being calibrated some time this week hopefully with the pipe calibration method, which is apparently good enough.

  1026. #1026Born2clearcut2020-01-29 10:51

    John Deere hoe chucker

  1027. #1027Mike L2020-01-29 14:28
  1028. #1028John Shipp2020-01-30 01:12

    What brand is the base on that stroker, Mike?

  1029. #1029Mike L2020-01-30 05:32

    Daewoo 225

  1030. #1030Hallback2020-01-30 07:50

    Here is our new 2656G

  1031. #1031Born2clearcut2020-01-30 10:05

    Nice Hallback. Here's my JD lol

  1032. #1032Hallback2020-01-30 17:24

    That is awesome!! Very nice detail!!!

  1033. #1033Mike L2020-01-30 19:30

    Nice machine hallback. We don’t many machines like that on the east coast. Will that just be used on the woodyard or will it go up in the woods?

  1034. #1034Hallback2020-01-30 21:05

    Thanks Mike! It's in the woods loading under one of our towers on a skyline thinning operation. I have a Hitachi 310 that is ready to be delivered any day now also. I will post that one when it hits the dirt.

  1035. #1035John C.2020-01-30 23:07

    It's nice to see you being successful, especially in the woods.

  1036. #1036Hallback2020-01-31 07:38

    Thanks John. While I would love to say we are really killing it and making huge money, we are not. These last two winters have been a rascal but there is always today!

  1037. #1037John C.2020-01-31 10:53

    I've been told a couple of times now how tough it is in the logging industry now days. For now though I'm seeing lots of loaded logging trucks on the highways. Best of luck to you.

  1038. #1038Hallback2020-01-31 13:34

    98% of us are just turning dollars to have a job. Hopefully that changes.

  1039. #1039Hallback2020-02-01 15:09

    Here is the new 310. It heads out to the woods next week.

  1040. #1040John C.2020-02-01 19:42

    Nice looking unit. Does that right side panel use hydraulics to open up to the workings?

  1041. #1041Hallback2020-02-01 20:00

    Yes, there is a switch behind the corner guard to power the side door/fueling platform down.

  1042. #1042dirty4fun2020-02-02 04:24

    Great looking new machine, someone is going to be spoiled getting to operate that baby. Hope it lasts you a long time, and that the logging industry makes a turn around to where it should be.

  1043. #1043Hallback2020-02-02 08:44

    Thank you. My shovel logger will get it. He takes very good care of his stuff. Here is his pickup, hard to believe it's a loggers pickup.

  1044. #1044Plebeian2020-02-02 16:31

    Are there any other specification differences between the Hitachi and John Deere log loaders apart from the make of engine and the colour of the paint?

  1045. #1045Hallback2020-02-02 20:07

    Zero . They are built in the same factory even. Well, the screen says either Deere or Hitachi but that's it.

  1046. #1046Mike L2020-02-05 18:03

    Deere I worked on today. 99% sure we’ve got a pump failing

  1047. #1047Hallback2020-02-05 18:26

    2000-2002?

  1048. #1048Mike L2020-02-05 19:29

    Somewhere around there. 20k hrs. Customer just bought it in November and the hydraulics get weaker as it warms up and tracks off to the left something awful. Pressures were all checked by Deere a month ago.

  1049. #1049Hallback2020-02-05 22:37

    Sounds like a pump or center swivel.

  1050. #1050Mike L2020-02-06 05:57

    I’d never thought about the swivel. I was leaning towards the pumps because of the tracking issue and even when the hydraulics are cold it doesn’t have power enough to pick up the machine by pulling the boom in and putting the head on the ground.

  1051. #1051Hallback2020-02-06 18:58

    What is it putting for pressure right off the pump?

  1052. #1052Blk prince2020-02-06 20:27

    Somebody is going to be happy

  1053. #1053Plebeian2020-08-14 20:53

    Soler Logging - road building B.C

  1054. #1054Truck Shop2020-09-05 21:00

    Some old equipment from years past that a friend of mine owns. He and his dad ran a logging company for years, when logging went down hill around here most of the stuff and the mill went quiet.

  1055. #1055Truck Shop2020-09-05 21:02

    More

  1056. #1056Truck Shop2020-09-05 21:04
  1057. #1057hoechucker2020-09-05 21:11

    Got to test ride this sweet machine last week. 959 ml with a 60" t-mar grapple. Real nice

  1058. #1058Hallback2020-09-06 10:08

    Cool photos TS! Doesn't he have an 071 Madill also? Would he sell any of it?

  1059. #1059Hallback2020-09-06 10:14

    Pape' has been pushing for us to try one. I just do not think they can beat the Tigercat for agility and longevity. Here is my 900 hour Hitachi 310 thanks to **** poor factory machining specs. The stick boom cylinder rod eye pin seized up in the bore and sheared off the retainer Bolt causing the pain to come flying out when he swung to grab another turn of logs on a steep sidehill. Stick boom came slamming down on top of the cylinder bending the rod and damaging the stick boom. They tried to say it was from lack of Grease but when we recovered the pin out of the brush it's still had a layer of grease on it. They were not going to warranty the $22,000 cylinder or $40,000 stick boom until I told them I would drop both of the new shovel off in the middle of the street in front of their Branch if they did not. In other photos you could see the galling on the sides of the pin boss and Rod eye for the cylinder. We have a cat 568 with 11000 hours that is tighter than both of those brand new John Deere and hitachi machines we have. We will not be purchasing any more.

  1060. #1060skadill2020-09-06 12:13

    I've been to the plant ,that puts these together. I've always kept quiet,even had videos i could have uploaded,but didn't.I'm not knocking the brand or taking on a huge company,but every single component stacked in the yard for assembly has a laminated placard on it for import/dock/shipping identification that is in Chinese characters,i was shocked.Saw that it is an ASSEMBLY facility not a manufacturing facility.Hope no one is offended,not looking for trouble,but have heard of a lot of metal problems through the years on the green machines.

  1061. #1061John C.2020-09-06 12:27

    Which machines are you talking about. The Hitachi or the Tiger Cat?

  1062. #1062skadill2020-09-06 12:39

    Deere/Hitachi

  1063. #1063Truck Shop2020-09-06 13:21

    Steve would probably sell some items, most have seen pretty hard use. And yes he has a early Madill.

  1064. #1064John C.2020-09-06 14:47

    I've been hearing about the Hitachi issues for years. Problems at the boom to stick connections and the stick cylinder connections. People whine and complain about it but the dealer says sorry unless the company is big enough to force the issue. I have a client right now that wants to sell both of their one year old 370 shovels and go to all Tiger Cat. Is Wajax still assembling the loggers for Hitachi / Deere.

  1065. #1065Hallback2020-09-06 15:43

    I owe about 5 million dollars right now and told them if they do not fix that **** that it will be sitting in the street in front of their Branch. I don't **** around with these equipment dealers anymore I put my foot down and make them do what I want because after all they work for us.

  1066. #1066Truck Shop2020-09-06 16:46

    You know Hallback that's a good way to handle it. That should apply to everything-cars, trucks, lawn mowers whatever. Freightliner reps won't come to the shop anymore since I told one of them he was full of ****. And when they did show up it was nothing but double talk just like every industry.

  1067. #1067hoechucker2020-09-06 21:14

    We just had one of our 3756 (or whatever the new ones are) processors with 4000 I think hours loose a pump drive. Im not sure how that was handled but as far as getting a tigercat we are isolated here where we are and getting service on one would be tough. Not that I sign any of the checks but I sure like the deere salesman in our area. My old 568 with 9400 hours is still going strong with only the normal breakdowns. You can see it in the photo of the 959, broke down with early southstar loading head problems.

  1068. #1068hoechucker2020-09-07 09:52
  1069. #1069hoechucker2020-09-07 09:59

    We've had several of the standard deere issues but the dealer is trying really hard to make

  1070. #1070John C.2020-09-07 11:11

    So far my clients have had no issue with the service from Tigercat. If there is a question about something, a phone call delivers an answer. They don't get the "who wants to know" or "I've never seen or heard of that type of problem before" kind of crap that is so common with the big three. I know from personal experience that fix as fail is the most common aggravation about warranties and any design problems are always blamed on the operation or the operator. Haullback's situation with the accusation of not greasing properly is the perfect example of a dealer's get out of jail card on warranty repairs.

  1071. #1071Hallback2020-09-07 17:35

    Deere/Hitachi is trippin' If they think I was going to accept the blame on that. You can blatantly see this thing has been getting lots of grease.

  1072. #1072John C.2020-09-07 22:05

    The dealer did the same song and dance with Weyerhaeuser Vail a few years ago. Last time I heard from the guys up there was that if there was a problem, they called the people in Eugene.

  1073. #1073Plebeian2020-09-07 22:18

    Is it feasible to purchase the Hitachi/ Deere without the boom/stick/ cylinders set and have someone like Pierce Pacific do the boom, stick, cylinders, grapple etc? or Is there likely to be a warranty conflict? Where do the bits for the Linkbelts (Sumitomo/ Case) come from? I see white and yellow machines parked at the Sumitomo factory in Japan. There was picture posted a while back allegedly showing a set of rusty booms being delivered to Victoria, Texas from an off site supplier.

  1074. #1074Hallback2020-09-07 22:31

    You should have seen the look on their faces when I sent them these photos. I bought this used 568 because their piece of crap was broken down. Caterpillar yellow or link-belt red makes them greener than a John Deere!

  1075. #1075John C.2020-09-08 00:12

    All logging fronts used to come from either Young or Pierce Pacific. Link-Belt hydraulic loggers had the FMC booms on the old 5400 and 5800 loggers. But Young and Pierce took over after that for a bunch of years in the PNW. The owner of Pierce was asked to enter into a partnership to take on the Link-Belt dealership around 1991 or so when Howard Cooper Corporation went into bankruptcy. All the Link-Belts then had Pierce logger build ups. I would guess it to be that way still. Jewell came up with their logging fronts and installed them on Kobelco machines down in Portland, Oregon. It wasn't a bad setup but they did add copious amounts of steel guarding on the sides and back of the house and I'm sure those shovels weighed 20% more than the comparable model Link-Belt or even Cat. I know most of those older Kobelco that I did inspections on had worn out Rotec bearings. When I worked for the Komatsu dealer, they used to buy the boom, stick, heel and grapple from either Young or Pierce and install all the guarding package themselves. Bean counters killed that after a few years and turned it all over to Pierce. That ended up being a mess. Wajax is or was the Hitachi dealer in Canada and did their own manufacturing of the logging shovels in British Columbia I think. They build their own booms and sticks which for the most part follow the lines of the Young and Pierce Pacific logging fronts. They just do some dumb stuff now and then and don't want to take care of their customers after that. If someone knows what is different now, please fill us in.

  1076. #1076John Shipp2020-09-08 02:53

    "every single component stacked in the yard for assembly has a laminated placard on it for import/dock/shipping identification that is in Chinese characters" Hi Skadill, just wondering if it was Japanese characters, as they have similar characters in their alphabet.

  1077. #1077John Shipp2020-09-08 02:54

    Japan I believe.

  1078. #1078Hallback2020-09-08 07:43

    Double post

  1079. #1079Hallback2020-09-08 07:43

    You are pretty much spot-on John, the jewel booms and guarding package were excellent for the shovel logger down here as it really kept the machine from just getting destroyed. It did a add some extra weight but the Rotech bearings in the kobelco failed because they were a standard Duty excavator bearing and not up to the task for a shovel logging application where your boom is stretched out all the time and the extra Leverage. Pierce and Ian were the two main players for a lot of years and I believe link-belt manufacturers their own booms now in a carbon copy of a pierce.

  1080. #1080hoechucker2020-10-23 21:46

    I wasn't sure where to put these but I thought they looked pretty cool.

  1081. #1081Mike L2020-10-27 19:12
  1082. #1082John C.2020-10-27 20:50

    Looks like a Pro Pac stroker.

  1083. #1083Mike L2020-10-28 05:14

    It is. Pro pac is all you see anymore in maine unless it’s very old and sitting in someone’s boneyard

  1084. #1084John C.2020-10-28 09:36

    We don't have the strokers here in the NW so much any more. The dangle heads have become the normal. There are a couple of companies using using the Pierce machines and I'm sure there are a few Denharcos still around somewhere but they are few and far between.

  1085. #1085Mike L2020-10-28 16:57

    Dangle heads are gaining in popularity for the cut to length operations and some outfits are using a Feller buncher to fell, a processor to process in the woods and a forwarder to get the wood to the landing. Still plenty of stroke delimbers in the tree length operations. The limber that I posted belongs to a customer of mine. They run 3 different stroke delimbers and specialize in woods chips that get turned into wood pellets to heat homes and the tops and low grade wood gets chipped for bio mass to fuel a power plant.

  1086. #1086hoechucker2021-02-25 22:15

    thought I'd restart this thread with some pics from yesterday and today

  1087. #1087hoechucker2021-02-25 22:16

    635 Southstars on top of those for a reference

  1088. #1088hoechucker2021-02-25 22:17
  1089. #1089Hallback2021-02-25 22:44

    Where at?

  1090. #1090hoechucker2021-02-25 22:45

    Northern CA.

  1091. #1091JPV2021-02-25 23:40

    Hard to imagine blue skies and no mud eh Hallback...?

  1092. #1092Hallback2021-02-25 23:47

    You ain't a kiddin!!

  1093. #1093hoechucker2021-02-26 20:25
  1094. #1094hoechucker2021-02-26 20:26
  1095. #1095hoechucker2021-02-26 20:26
  1096. #1096hoechucker2021-02-26 20:27
  1097. #1097Hallback2021-02-26 22:20

    Anderson logging?

  1098. #1098petepilot2021-02-27 01:20

    so there are still a few big sticks left

  1099. #1099Birken Vogt2021-02-27 08:16

    Lots of them here in California, where logging has been a shadow of its former self since the late 80s/early 90s. They grow fast.

  1100. #1100hoechucker2021-03-02 09:52
  1101. #1101hoechucker2021-03-03 12:22

    heres another one

  1102. #1102hoechucker2021-03-03 18:54

    tried to post this earlier

  1103. #1103JPV2021-03-03 22:19

    That looks pretty similar to what we are loading with, 538 with a Southstar head. It works pretty good in wood this size, not so we'll with the size you have.

  1104. #1104hoechucker2021-03-03 22:29

    Wood that big is a pain in the butt with any processor. I'd take the size wood you're in over the really big stuff any day especially for, this redwood is so brittle. You have to be very careful loading the smaller ones or you just end up with a bunch of chunks. Fir you can get a little more western with.

  1105. #1105Hallback2021-03-03 22:59

    A 20" redwood will break if you heel it.

  1106. #1106Mike L2021-03-05 19:29
  1107. #1107Hallback2021-06-10 20:41
  1108. #1108Mike L2021-06-11 04:28

    Is that yours, hallback? We don’t see a bunch of link belt out here on the east coast.

  1109. #1109Hallback2021-06-11 05:36

    Yessir.

  1110. #1110John C.2021-06-11 10:40

    Who is the sales rep out there now days?

  1111. #1111Hallback2021-06-11 11:11

    Curtis Beardmore from Montesano is my rep. Jay McKown is the Pierce County & east of I-5 area rep.

  1112. #1112John C.2021-06-11 11:14

    I don't know Curtis but worked with Jay when he was at NC. I think he stepped up when he took the job with Triad.

  1113. #1113Hallback2021-06-11 14:00

    Curtis won't lie directly to your face.

  1114. #1114hoechucker2021-06-13 20:17

    That is one nice shovel. Are those as quick as the 4040s?

  1115. #1115Hallback2021-06-13 20:38

    Thanks. It's pretty quick. It's close for sure. Stick boom needs some tweaking but so far it's very good to excellent in all categories.

  1116. #1116hoechucker2021-06-13 20:50

    Nice. We don't have too many link belts in our area. I e of our contractors has a 4640 and said I could try it out but I haven't got around to it yet. I've ran a few 4040s at the Eugene log show and a couple 3740s at another log show and from the little I've run them I like them and rlthe cans are very user friendly

  1117. #1117Hallback2021-06-13 21:02

    One of you guys won the loader comp a few years didn't you?

  1118. #1118hoechucker2021-06-13 21:05

    Yeah I've won it a few times. Last couple years I was close but just couldn't put it together

  1119. #1119hoechucker2021-06-13 21:56

    Does anyone on here know if the cab tilt pump motor on a deer 3756g run the side door tilt cylinder also?

  1120. #1120Hallback2021-06-14 07:27

    Yes, if I remember correctly it does. Is it not opening?

  1121. #1121Hallback2021-06-14 07:30

    Yes, if I remember correctly it does. Is it not opening?

  1122. #1122Hallback2021-06-14 08:29

    Yes, if I remember correctly it does. Is it not opening?

  1123. #1123hoechucker2021-06-14 08:47

    The door cylinder is in sad shape and allows the door to free fall when opening and I was afraid the cab would do the same. I topped the reservoir off and going to hope for the best when the lowboy gets here in a few minutes

  1124. #1124hoechucker2021-06-14 08:49

    My new to me machine

  1125. #1125Hallback2021-06-14 11:31

    Check the valve on the side of the machine in the door area. I have heard of those going bad.

  1126. #1126Hallback2021-06-14 11:37

    Check the valve on the side of the machine in the door area. I have heard of those going bad.

  1127. #1127hoechucker2021-06-14 11:37

    It's the cylinder for sure.it needs to be resealed or replaced

  1128. #1128Hallback2021-06-14 17:31

    How many hours?

  1129. #1129hoechucker2021-06-14 17:57

    3770

  1130. #1130Hallback2021-06-14 18:00

    I got rid of our 3756 at 4900. They just make me nervous.

  1131. #1131hoechucker2021-06-14 18:04

    I don't have to pay the repair bill so it doesn't scare me that much. It's a big upgrade from the 568 for me just because I don't have to work on it every day. But not as fast or smooth,but it powers the head way better

  1132. #1132Hallback2021-06-14 18:07

    It runs the head better than the 568 huh? That is good to know. The G series are a lot better with that auxiliary cooler in the front corner guard. They still run hot but not near as hot as the D series

  1133. #1133hoechucker2021-06-14 18:11

    I think it's because it gets half of it's oil from the heel cylinder as opposed to the cat that gets it from the grapple circuit which give a max pressure of 45-4800 lbs with the grapple reliefs

  1134. #1134Hallback2021-06-19 10:02

    Well, I sold my 568 yesterday. Getting lots of gear sold off lately.

  1135. #1135hoechucker2021-06-19 10:05

    Not enough guys to run everything? Or not enough work?. We have a labor shortage here.

  1136. #1136John C.2021-06-19 10:14

    Are you rotating new gear in? Are you seeing new people in the business or more bottom feeders working cheap?

  1137. #1137Hallback2021-06-19 10:55

    More bottom feeders working cheap and all of these clowns thinking they can shovel log every bit of ground out there With levelers and tether systems that cost more than a ******* yarder yet driving the prices lower than dirt. We have idiots logging 3rd growth corn at $9 per ton on board truck. That is just ******* retarded. I'm slimming down and getting rid of a bunch of extra stuff I have. We're going to run minimalist style for the next few years as I believe it is going to get rough

  1138. #1138Hallback2021-06-19 10:56

    We have lots of work

  1139. #1139hoechucker2021-06-19 12:09

    9 buck a ton? Is that about equal to 46-47 a thousand?

  1140. #1140Hallback2021-06-19 12:19

    This 3rd Gen. Corn that they are logging averages about 3.6 to a load

  1141. #1141John C.2021-06-19 17:01

    Hallback, I admire that you have the awareness and perspective to understand the market you are working in. I've had clients in years past that saw what was happening and just parked all their gear and worked in construction until some sanity returned. I like the term "Corn" to describe the current size of trees harvested. Is there any export anymore from state and federal land or is that all private timber?

  1142. #1142Hallback2021-06-19 19:43

    Thanks John. If you're as old as we are and have seen the cycles like we have you are a fool if you do not adjust with them. No in 1989 the export of timber from state & federal lands was prohibited. It is all local sawmill stuff now for the government timber. That is what we log.

  1143. #1143hoechucker2021-09-11 23:12
  1144. #1144Hallback2021-09-12 10:25

    Big log to load with that head! Nice work!

  1145. #1145Birken Vogt2021-09-12 10:57

    Apparently you found someplace to work that isn't still on fire.

  1146. #1146chainsaw2021-10-08 21:30
  1147. #1147Hallback2021-10-08 22:35

    Delivery day?

  1148. #1148Jumbo2021-10-08 23:51

    Somewhat OT, did one of your lowboys take a Linkbelt over to Eastern Washington Tuesday? As we were headed East, saw the lowboy and wife who scouts names for me as I drive said the truck was labeled Pacific, similar script to what we see in some of your photos. It was yellow and she thought it might be a Pete. She just doesn't have the quick eye and traffic was heavy so I couldn't gawk myself...

  1149. #1149Hallback2021-10-09 09:35

    That was Dale's truck.

  1150. #1150hoechucker2021-10-11 09:03
  1151. #1151hoechucker2021-10-12 08:09
  1152. #1152hoechucker2021-10-12 16:26

    I'm not brave enough to try to film but I can take pics

  1153. #1153hoechucker2021-10-12 17:20
  1154. #1154hoechucker2021-10-12 17:47
  1155. #1155petepilot2021-10-12 20:31

    That is about as much log as the machine you have wants to handle is it not?

  1156. #1156hoechucker2021-10-12 20:33

    More than it wants to handle. I have to one end them on and sometimes I have to choke them

  1157. #1157Hallback2021-10-12 22:45

    Lil Tiger looks pretty fresh & shiny!

  1158. #1158hoechucker2021-10-12 23:11

    I think that one is only about 6-7 months old

  1159. #1159hoechucker2021-11-05 14:08

    Here's a loader from a limber and a road user. Just had to post a pic of my favorite log truck in our area rig

  1160. #1160Mike L2021-11-05 16:59

    Is that one of hallback’s trucks?

  1161. #1161hoechucker2021-11-05 17:08

    No. It's in ca.

  1162. #1162Hallback2021-11-06 08:06

    It's missing a couple axles to be one of mine. Good looking truck. Gotta love owner/operator pride.

  1163. #1163Jumbo2021-11-07 19:45

    Remember the "good old days" when you could make a decent living with just those axles? There are days when I wish that were all the axles allowed and you just added more trucks. (Lowboys excepted...)

  1164. #1164Hallback2021-11-07 21:09

    I didn't add more axles by desire rather by need. Not enough trucks to hire sadly.

  1165. #1165Jumbo2021-11-07 21:19

    I know, at 70, I think I like sitting home now. Even if I wanted to work, being old and chubby (fat) means no health card for me. good excuse to be lazy.

  1166. #1166hoechucker2021-11-08 10:24
  1167. #1167hoechucker2021-11-16 15:22

    Loader ,limber and road builder all in one

  1168. #1168John C.2021-11-16 20:23

    I probably know a few owners who's butt might pucker up seeing a dangle head being dragged across the gravel.

  1169. #1169hoechucker2021-11-16 20:33

    I use those things just like you would use grapple. I don't have a choice, no loader to do it with. They are actually really tough but you have to dig the big rocks when you're done playing grader man.

  1170. #1170Hallback2021-11-16 21:55

    Not gonna lie, I cringed like chewin' on foil when I saw that!! Big outfit problems.

  1171. #1171petepilot2021-11-16 22:10

    dumb question. is any of the road stone ever reclaimed after an area has been cut out?

  1172. #1172hoechucker2021-11-16 22:14

    I was very hesitant the first time I did it but it doesn't hurt anything except rubbing some paint off. Just gotta make sure there's no big ones stuck in the top saw scabbard or in the fittings of the delimb cylinder

  1173. #1173hoechucker2021-11-16 22:17

    I think they've done it a few times where we wouldn't be back in there for however long it takes to grow these little things. When you get that reclaimed stuff it usually has a lot of dirt in it and it will get the road fabric in big chunks mixed in and it just ends up making a mess. Plus if you leave it you already have a rock road there for the next time you log it

  1174. #1174JPV2021-11-16 22:24

    We have had some landowners have us steal rock off spurs that have recently been logged and won't need a road for another 35 years or so but like hoechucker says it is pretty dirty rock. It works and makes sense sometimes but usually it is a mess and a pain.

  1175. #1175petepilot2021-11-16 23:09

    if the per ton cost of that stuff up in that area is anything like here theres a fortune left laying in the woods

  1176. #1176Hallback2021-11-17 20:10
  1177. #1177hoechucker2021-11-17 20:12

    What a view.

  1178. #1178Hallback2021-11-17 20:35

    This job has some great scenery for sure.

  1179. #1179525isx2021-11-17 21:25

    capital forest ?

  1180. #1180John C.2021-11-17 21:34

    Kind of looks like Orting in the valley. Are you over by the crater? Weather changed again this afternoon and the mountain is invisible again. The machine colors would look great with the mountain just above the machine.

  1181. #1181Hallback2021-11-17 22:10

    Above Oakville in the capital forest.

  1182. #1182John C.2021-11-17 22:54

    Long lens and lots of compression. Nice pic.

  1183. #1183John Shipp2021-11-19 18:01

    I take it you can't bring the heel round into play for rough grading, the head would get rubbed up worse against the heel if you tried?

  1184. #1184hoechucker2021-11-19 22:57

    The head hangs lower than the heel unless the boom is straight out. The way I have to do it seems to work the best but I do try to keep it to the minimum

  1185. #1185hoechucker2021-11-22 19:42
  1186. #1186hoechucker2021-11-23 16:10

    18,000 lbs 20 footer

  1187. #1187hoechucker2021-11-23 16:16
  1188. #1188Hallback2021-11-23 17:13

    Heavy stuff!!

  1189. #1189hoechucker2021-11-23 17:45

    Like lead

  1190. #1190hoechucker2021-11-23 17:47
  1191. #1191hoechucker2021-12-08 10:39

    Too much room not enough logs

  1192. #1192hoechucker2021-12-09 20:25
  1193. #1193hoechucker2021-12-09 20:26
  1194. #1194hoechucker2022-04-09 10:35
  1195. #1195John C.2022-04-09 11:11

    That a South Star processor? They were just coming out when I parted association with the Cat dealer.

  1196. #1196hoechucker2022-04-09 11:28

    It is. Hasn't even touched a log yet

  1197. #1197big ben2022-04-09 11:30

    Yup. Looks like a QS605. They found success and sold to Quadco years ago. Quadco is Quadco attachments , LogMax and Southstar. All owned by Komatsu last I heard.

  1198. #1198John C.2022-04-09 11:34

    I edited some video of a Southstar grapple that had a chain saw. It was used for cutting the blown down trees after a windstorm.

  1199. #1199hoechucker2022-04-09 12:05

    That is a 605B or that's what the serial number says. It's paired with a logmate 510 computer

  1200. #1200Hallback2022-04-09 18:13

    FD750

  1201. #1201John C.2022-04-09 20:40

    I don’t remember the model as I didn’t shoot the video. The unit was mounted on a Cat logger and it would pivot to fall trees as well. It’s biggest advantage I heard was pulling the pickup sticks that happen after a big wind storm.

  1202. #1202John C.2022-04-09 20:40

    I don’t remember the model as I didn’t shoot the video. The unit was mounted on a Cat logger and it would pivot to fall trees as well. It’s biggest advantage I heard was pulling the pickup sticks that happen after a big wind storm.

  1203. #1203John C.2022-04-09 20:42

    Double post is because of the lag in the site.

  1204. #1204Mike L2022-04-10 05:35
  1205. #1205John C.2022-04-10 11:47

    Is that a Propac.

  1206. #1206Mike L2022-04-10 13:43

    That is a ProPac. Used to be you’d see a few different types of delimbers around but ProPac is all you see in the northeast anymore. They build a solid product and they have very good support only a phone call away.

  1207. #1207Plebeian2022-10-19 06:16

    A bit last week. Volvo 300 processor new straight from the factory to NZ with straight stick and boom. https://fb.watch/gfxF11OXkF/

  1208. #1208DCT2022-11-13 01:45

    Southern Oregon before the rain

  1209. #1209DCT2022-11-16 19:25

    Found some ugly but descent size wood finally after lots of 40-60 logs per load

  1210. #1210skadill2022-11-16 22:59
  1211. #1211hoechucker2022-11-16 23:06

    Man those are rough. Looks like a couple grouse ladders

  1212. #1212hoechucker2022-11-16 23:09
  1213. #1213hoechucker2022-11-16 23:12
  1214. #1214DCT2022-11-22 10:50

    Short logger sunrise

  1215. #1215skadill2022-11-25 15:33
  1216. #1216Chopper952022-11-25 16:03

    Madill 3000 ??? Thats a rare bird, only 1 or 2 of those ever built! How does it work for you guys? Any more photos of it, data plates, etc?

  1217. #1217Chopper952022-11-25 16:03

    Madill 3000 ??? Thats a rare bird, only 1 or 2 of those ever built! How does it work for you guys? Any more photos of it, data plates, etc?

  1218. #1218DCT2022-11-25 17:59

    The madill is great, the stroker depends on what day it is. I prefer running a danglehead but I was able to pay cash for this machine which helps a bit on the maintenance side of things. Overall it’s been a descent machine the year or so I have had it.

  1219. #1219DCT2022-11-25 19:00

    .

  1220. #1220DCT2022-11-25 19:02

    .

  1221. #1221John C.2022-11-25 20:33

    That Poclain photo brought back long distant memories that should have stayed gone.

  1222. #1222skadill2022-11-26 14:08
  1223. #1223Chopper952022-11-26 16:33

    DCT, very cool! I've only seen a few photos of those 3000 delimbers in the past, was never sure how many there were out there. Jealous of the 2250b as well! Have always wanted to run one of those guys, but not yet.

  1224. #1224Chopper952022-11-26 21:07

    Some very flash gear for Colorado standards; newer 2156G (5000hr), 2154D w/ 622B (my daily driver at 13k hrs), and LX830C (10k hrs) Currently north of Silverthorne, 9500-10,000ft elevation on the job.

  1225. #1225Chopper952022-11-26 21:11

    748L is only a few years old, the Doosan (eww) DX225 has a 622C (a lot nicer than my B series and much beefier) just went down hard and I'll have to track back in to finish the job, the Dodge is an 07 with 328k

  1226. #1226Chopper952022-11-26 21:16

    Drove the 545C for about 10 minutes last week, first time I've been in a skidder in maybe 3-4 years and absolutely don't need that job again. Prentice 384 loader mounted on an old Oshkosh 6x6 carrier Still fresh Cat 538 with a Ponsse H8 head

  1227. #1227Chopper952022-11-26 21:21

    Came in to finish the sale off with the 2154D after this guy decided to call it quits. Caterpillar 522B buncher converted to harvester with an 870B Keto, no squirt; would follow the 830C and process in-woods. And no, our wood doesn't get THAT big. Think he was running that 11BC Oregon .404 chain, the one where the links are about the size of your pinky finger - huge. Most of the guys hadnt seen that before out here; thats all we ran in New Zealand though. Forgot to get a photo of it though.

  1228. #1228Chopper952022-11-26 21:34

    Will get a fatty fir / spruce now and again, everything else is lodgepole pine. Largest tree until the last day had been 153ft cubic This 37' was 22" on the butt and 17" top - had the fat section of the butt wider when bucking, saw couldnt reach the last bit of it

  1229. #1229Chopper952022-11-26 21:40

    Then blew that one out of the water with this guy an hour or two later. 25.5" on the butt and 17.2" on the top, 46' stick almost 300ft cubic. I cut another 36' out of the top, another 50 or 75ft cu. , cant recall exactly, and then still had an 8 or 9' junk top. The 622B really doesn't do well in that size wood; took 4 or 5 tries to buck it even running on the ground and walking the machine - too heavy for the knives to hold and rollers don't get a good bite / slip out since theyre so open .

  1230. #1230Chopper952022-11-26 22:03

    Final pics for now, from Sept or Oct. Working near Fraser CO, again 9500-10,000ft. Great views of the valley, miserable job though; wood was so small and rotten, had a hard time making enough 37s for the trucks usually to load the 9-18-27 out. No Mules, only long loggers out here. Could had cut 2 or 3 46' trees on the 100 acre job, at least the portion I was working. Komatsu is a 2014 or 2015 I think, has 7-8k hrs on it. Also have 2017 460 with 2500hrs, but we're trying to sell that one. 280 Prentice on a Canadian C510 Kenworth, 1980 I think.

  1231. #1231DCT2022-11-26 22:46

    Biggest stuff out of southern Oregon lately most hasn’t been over about 22” along with my 2013 f350 with 187k that replaced my 99’ f350 with 462k last year.

  1232. #1232Birken Vogt2022-11-26 23:33

    Do you have any problems with engine horsepower at that altitude or does turbocharging take care of it all?

  1233. #1233Chopper952022-11-26 23:51

    Hard to say, I have only ever logged at this altitude or even higher so I don't know. Working in New Zealand, we were always coastal, but the machines were much much bigger. Large Cats & Madills, biggest you can buy. Cooling capacity since air density is a lot less is always my trouble; the processors like to run hot most of the year. Lots of open engine hoods and night work during the summer it seems like. But then emissions issues with it getting so cold and DEF parts freezing. The sun makes a big difference too. If it is cloudy out, I can see up to a 20-30 degree difference on hydraulic temp during peak day hours, at least lately. That 2154D is only 160hp which cracks me up cause it's a powerful little machine and no joke only uses like 5-6 gal an hour; I always think something is wrong with my math. Gets around fine and is sized appropriately for the wood, but everyone considers it "big" for out here. I want to go even bigger though, step to a 300 class or 45 ton machine with actual reach and multifunction, Madill 2850C would be overkill but I want one. I hate running the little processors and loaders.

  1234. #1234Chopper952022-11-27 00:00

    Not logging related, but construction / excavating wise, yes, we have had issues with machines at extreme altitudes. Projects on top of Pikes Peak, over 14,000ft, we had all sorts of derate / emissions issues. Some machines would only make it a day or two and go down. Others would do fine, but it is very demanding work at that altitude, even on your body. The mechanics would come up and try to fix stuff, but it wasnt uncommon for them to get altitude sickness or just be extremely fatigued. All the major repair shops are 5-6500ft near Denver or Colorado Springs, so a machine needs to be prepped for high elevations at times. Same goes for the old mechanical ones; Cat had different specs for timing and fuel rates, etc back in the day right on the machine.

  1235. #1235Birken Vogt2022-11-27 00:36

    10k feet is about as high as any infrastructure goes around here and I know if I have to work at 7k or above I feel fine at the time but the brain gets foggy and my resourcefulness starts to dwindle; and I wonder why I did some of the things I did once I get back home and have a clear head.

  1236. #1236Truck Shop2022-11-27 17:29

    Extremely used, but that's what it's for.

  1237. #1237skyking12022-11-27 17:39

    Small world, we drove by on I-70 last Friday. EDIT: in Our 07 Ram that went from 281 to 289K on that trip I met ~half dozen new Tigercats on our way East on I-80. Same number of 988K's without buckets and one with, but that's dirt gear. Funny thing I never saw the buckets go by. Maybe they went out on rail?

  1238. #1238John C.2022-11-27 17:53

    After market buckets maybe?

  1239. #1239skyking12022-11-27 17:59

    maybe those high capacity heel tippers, Cat does not make those. Mill buckets for chips.

  1240. #1240John C.2022-11-27 18:03

    Also might loggers.

  1241. #1241Hank R2022-11-30 07:12

    A friend sent to me a few years ago .

  1242. #1242skadill2022-12-04 23:43
  1243. #1243John C.2022-12-05 00:05

    We didn't see many of those logging fronts down here. We did build a few of those tilting covers behind the cab. Those cab guards were kind of an expensive joke. I bet that machine weighed more than 100K.

  1244. #1244skadill2022-12-05 00:39
  1245. #1245skadill2022-12-05 21:46
  1246. #1246skadill2022-12-06 22:06
  1247. #1247skadill2022-12-16 22:43
  1248. #1248skadill2022-12-25 00:05
  1249. #1249Tugger22022-12-25 13:21

    Thats the old Ritchie Bros. Yard in Surrey under the Patullo Bridge. It wasnt uncommon to see Dave Ritchie in the crowd getting all the boys pumped up to spend big bucks. Whether you went to buy or just look it was always a great day hanging out there, see guys you knew from way back. No internet bidder pulling the rug out from under your feet ,just a real auction.

  1250. #1250skadill2022-12-30 01:18
  1251. #1251hoechucker2022-12-30 14:20

    I'd like to see that danglehead in action

  1252. #1252skadill2022-12-30 23:08
  1253. #1253skadill2023-01-02 23:36
  1254. #1254skadill2023-01-06 23:52
  1255. #1255skadill2023-01-14 21:42
  1256. #1256skadill2023-01-17 01:09
  1257. #1257skadill2023-01-19 01:12
  1258. #1258Tugger22023-01-19 22:34

    We built some excavator to log loader conversions in the late 80s . A good customer we had was importing Hitachis from Japan and we did the hack n slashing on them. I think we did about a dozen machines of various sizes . widened and raised under carraiges, raised cabs ,built cabs ,straightened booms on some of them. It was good work ,somtimes constrained by the customers demands but we designed and did it all on the shop floor.

  1259. #1259Jumbo2023-01-19 22:51

    We built some excavator to log loader conversions in the late 80s . A good customer we had was importing Hitachis from Japan and we did the hack n slashing on them. I think we did about a dozen machines of various sizes . widened and raised under carriages, raised cabs ,built cabs ,straightened booms on some of them. It was good work ,sometimes constrained by the customers demands but we designed and did it all on the shop floor. One of the things I took away from the woods when I quit to go into the electrical trade was the idea that you make, build, invent whatever you need if you have the desire. The word can't just wasn't in the woods vocabulary.

  1260. #1260skadill2023-01-19 22:53
  1261. #1261Tugger22023-01-20 12:33

    We had a customer come to us with a 450 Barko mounted on a tank track under carraige . We sacraficed a really nice (266 i think it was ) Kohering excavator ,threw the top away and mounted the Barko on the turntable of the 266. It made a nice log loader ,but i hated throwing away the top.

  1262. #1262skadill2023-01-20 23:03
  1263. #1263skadill2023-01-27 22:05
  1264. #1264skadill2023-01-29 23:52

    Link Belt 3400 I photoed as a kid in 1986 at Trican Machinery in Richmond,BC then.

  1265. #1265skadill2023-01-31 00:37
  1266. #1266skadill2023-02-02 00:54
  1267. #1267skadill2023-02-04 00:19
  1268. #1268skadill2023-02-08 21:46
  1269. #1269skadill2023-02-11 00:15
  1270. #1270Hallback2023-02-12 00:40

    Those little Thunderbird TTY 45s would pull pretty damn hard

  1271. #1271skadill2023-02-15 00:04
  1272. #1272skadill2023-02-16 22:01

    1990's local timber sale Murdo Creek B.C. ,by a good local logger then. Stave Lake in background.My Camera

  1273. #1273hoechucker2023-02-18 11:40

    I worked for a company that had 3 45s at one time and they were great. They stretched the frame on one and put an Allison trans in it and it would pull like it was possessed

  1274. #1274skadill2023-02-18 23:12
  1275. #1275Hallback2023-02-18 23:13

    That's the problem with all Thunderbird yarders, they pull way too hard for what they are and tear themselves up. That 45 with the transmission, was it on a hydraulic undercarriage also?

  1276. #1276hoechucker2023-02-19 00:39

    No it was on rubber. The did have one on tracks that they put outriggers on and it ended up on the southern border string border fence I believe.

  1277. #1277skadill2023-02-22 01:11
  1278. #127864Pacific2023-02-23 00:45

    How popular are Lim-mit units or delimbers of that style these days? It feels as though I haven't seen one in years, but they used to be a common sight. From a quick search online it seems that Brandt Tractor sells or owns the rights to the product line.

  1279. #1279Hank R2023-02-23 07:23

    Cables were a PITA had to be set up just right or troubles.

  1280. #1280Hallback2023-02-23 07:42

    Guys in the NE and eastern Canada still use em. Never cared for them.

  1281. #1281John C.2023-02-23 11:33

    When I left the Cat dealer the strokers were few. It's a six or seven day a week machine. Hopefully run five days and on Saturday work on it all day to be ready for Monday. I've seen some do five days a week but had to work eight hours of using and two hours working on them. Turned out to be a fifty hour week minimum no matter what. The plus side to them was they didn't mark up the log so bad and could be more accurate with the right operator. They can work like a sawmill trim saw with a good operator. I have a client with a Deere / Denarco mono boom for sale right now.

  1282. #1282John C.2023-02-23 11:35

    Here is an example.

  1283. #1283Mike L2023-02-23 15:19

    Pro pac owns the market in the northeast. Can’t remember the last time I saw a functioning delimber of another brand. They are definitely a high maintenance machine. My biggest complaint is that no 2 are the same and what I mean is that if this is John Deere week they will hack into the wiring and hydraulics wherever is convenient and there is no rhyme or reason behind it. Basically what happens is that the dealer will order the delimber and then pro pac will remove the excavator boom and install the delimber, cab riser, cat walk, etc. then they roughly plumb it up and send it to the dealer who spends days fine tuning it to run efficiently.

  1284. #1284skadill2023-02-24 01:29
  1285. #1285skadill2023-02-25 22:32
  1286. #1286John C.2023-02-26 12:21

    Someone found a cost effective thing a Poclain 300 could do? I got in on building a bunch of those 4" square tube guard packages for the shovels in late 1979 and early 1980s. Shovel logging hadn't been thought of back then. The danger was from stuff getting dropped on you or sliding into you in those days.

  1287. #1287skadill2023-02-26 22:31
  1288. #1288skadill2023-02-28 22:27
  1289. #1289hoechucker2023-03-02 23:18

    I'm sure this should go in another category, but has anyone ever tried grinding the 80 gauge 404 harvester chain with a chisel grinder? I was thinking it might be easy enough to modify the chain guide on my simington swing arm grinder to make it fit. Might just have to give it a try..

  1290. #1290Hallback2023-03-03 15:04

    Easy champ! We tried that year's back on kiddos and ended up breaking a bunch of chains. Chane might be better nowadays though.

  1291. #1291hoechucker2023-03-03 20:36

    Well I figured it's gotta be better than the job the guys we pay to have it done by do. And it does look like a new design but then again I've only been on a machine that takes a 404 chain for a year

  1292. #1292Hallback2023-03-03 23:39

    Keto's not kiddos. Damn talk to text.

  1293. #1293hoechucker2023-03-03 23:52

    I figured that's what you meant. Those things were the right color because they would end up giving everyone around them the blues

  1294. #1294Hallback2023-03-04 08:30

    They were great Back in the '90s but there are definitely better options now.

  1295. #1295skadill2023-03-04 22:38
  1296. #1296skadill2023-03-10 00:55
  1297. #1297skadill2023-03-11 22:07
  1298. #1298skadill2023-03-19 22:08
  1299. #1299skadill2023-03-21 21:52
  1300. #1300skadill2023-03-21 21:53
  1301. #1301skadill2023-03-21 21:54
  1302. #1302John C.2023-03-22 09:51

    That machine looks real familiar. The cage on the back of the machine is what we were building at the dealer where I worked in 1980. There were a lot of 5400 and 5800 loggers sold in those days.

  1303. #1303skadill2023-03-29 23:15
  1304. #1304skadill2023-04-09 01:23
  1305. #1305skadill2023-04-29 22:51
  1306. #1306skadill2023-06-15 10:05
  1307. #1307DCT2023-07-03 20:38

    I have a 3000 madill with a denharco 4400 stroker on it and it runs most every day in Oregon

  1308. #1308Mike L2023-07-03 20:47

    I think madill and denharco are more of a northwestern thing.

  1309. #1309DCT2023-07-03 21:00

    My old outdated and worn out junk that’s running everyday in Oregon , probably about the last last stroker running in my area.

  1310. #1310Mike L2023-07-04 07:07

    Has everyone gone to processor heads?

  1311. #1311Hallback2023-07-04 09:20

    Pierce has sold two new stroke delimber units in the last 3 years. I don't even know why they continue to build them. They were a great machine and I wish more people still used them but the fact of the matter is they're just slower, more complex and take a hell of a lot more room than a dangle head.

  1312. #1312skyking12023-08-19 23:15

    I saw one of these on a lowboy climbing up out of Vantage slowly. It looked like a heavy load.

  1313. #1313IceHole2023-08-20 11:08

    Work better on crooked logs, at least in my experience. The outift I worked with had an 80s Komatsu 220 setup as a stroke delimber. Worked well for being tired iron.

  1314. #1314Mike L2024-01-23 19:24

    Don’t know if I’ve posted this before but I figured this thread needed a bump.

  1315. #1315Truck Shop2024-01-23 19:50

    I missed that--in Vantage--harvesting petrified wood.

  1316. #1316Hallback2024-01-23 20:07

    That machine was on my little salesman for sale a few months ago. Super low hours on a 2022

  1317. #1317wanabemachinist2024-01-24 00:49

    those straight boom and sticks, how hard is it on the boom cylinder mounts when fully extended and layed out to rake logs back towards the machine

  1318. #1318Hallback2024-01-24 10:37

    No different than through any of its other range of motion

  1319. #1319JaredV2025-12-02 22:32

    In with the new, out with the old. I picked up this new 538 and took it to it's first job, then went to the old 538's last job and took it in to Cat today. I won't miss the tilting cab on the old machine. It was only a few inches overheight with the cab up and depending on the bucket, could make loading interesting. I had to get creative to keep the bucket at an angle so the teeth wouldn't hit the cab which forced me to load it a little farther forward than I really wanted but was still legal. Also forces the boom to be higher. Still under height but I like to keep the CG as low as possible. We don't load logs so the riser was really unnecessary and makes seeing grade harder sitting up higher. It has been a good machine but I guess it was time to update. This new machine is our third and has all the updates the other two machines have had to go in for over the last few years.

  1320. #1320hiluxman2026-06-26 23:29

    just found this only about a minute of logging but around the 10:50-12:50 there is footage of a canfor hitachi

  1321. #1321KenAl2026-06-27 08:22

    The log loader shown after the Canfor machine, would be made by Chapman industries. On the design table they show a pamphlet with a CH122. Some of the Chapman modified machines would drop the U and place a C in the model. I don’t recognize any of the people at the table but that would have been before the UH181 so early to mid 80’s

  1322. #1322hiluxman2026-06-27 20:39

    Whould a CH122 have been based on a hitachi UH122

  1323. #1323KenAl2026-06-27 21:29

    Yes. And they even made either a CH122FB or an FB122. Feller buncher. The 122 Achilles Heel was the travel motors. Didn’t last too long.

  1324. #1324hiluxman2026-06-27 22:28

    Did you work for Chapman industries in delta on river road

  1325. #1325KenAl2026-06-28 10:35

    Started my apprenticeship with Chapman Industries in 1987. Later that year we were bought out by Cypress Equipment. I spent 5 years at Plant 3 the old Chapman plant. Then I transferred to Campbell River and lived in Courtenay. Seen a lot of the coast on service calls. Eventually we became Wajax. Stayed there till 2009. Got layed off so went to work for Wajax in Fort Mac. Stayed there till 2016. Then started at Wajax Nanaimo. I have been on the tools till a few years ago and now do Product Support for Wajax. Still live in Courtenay. So I have worked on Hitachi 17 machines to Hitachi 8000 machines. And worked on new UH181 to the the ZX series. That’s it in a nutshell.