Hey all will be finally buying a 3-4ton minni this spring.debating between a flatdeck trailer or loading into my 10 foot dump bed. Here in quebec the plate costs are by # of axles.the dump is $900 to plate,if i tow a 2 axle float $2300 instead. Could also tow it with my pick up on a flatbed. Starting out trying to be lean and mean,but also safe. Im sure say a kx121 or takeuchi td138 would fit in the dump. Thoughts? Thanks
Loading it into the dump once in a while as needed might be an option but I personally wouldn't be comfortable putting it in/out regularly as your normal way of transport. Plus I think it'd be convenient to be able to haul material in the bed and tow the machine at the same time if needed? I would spring for the trailer, cost of doing business.
Since im juat starting out part time next year im not sure how often the dump will be needed.if every job i need to use the dump id get a pintle float. If not needed all the time was thinking a gooseneck flat deck to haul with pickup. Will need to measure the height of the boom/cab while in the bed. Main concern is will it make it top heavy/dangerous to corner ect.i f it takes a bit longer to load/unload with ramps at onset im ok with that.
Around here there are guys that haul backhoes in the dump bed of a 10 wheeler I would not be afraid of loading a 4 ton mini in the bed of that truck that said I wouldn't want to do it day in and day out just for convenience but if a little inconvenience keeps money in the pocket then I will keep the money
I think it would be nerve racking loading it in the truck. You'd need some long loading ramps and would be kind of scary going up that high at a steep angle. You'd also have to have something on the ramps so the machine couldn't slip down. Yeah, there's videos of people loading machines in trucks without ramps but that's a recipe for disaster or worse, fatality.
Ya more that i think of it i will just get a tandem float and tow it with my ram 2500. Its 4.10 gear and 6 speed manual. If i find i need the dump truck 50% of the time i will just register the dump to tow the trailer.
I'd get a trailer you could pull with your pick up or the dump truck. My trailer has tandem 7000lb Torflex axles and would carry 3 or 4 tons no problem. Have to be careful towing with the pick up though because of the weight. Torsion axles are way better than springs in my opinion. Like independent suspension and no maintenance.
Id rather have the trailer behind the international. plate cost be $2300 for the year but would only be plated for 6 months so $1100. I agree on getting a tandem that can be pulled with either rig. Id rather surge brakes as simplicity less things to go wrong. The brake controller on my pick up is disconnected and the international does not have one. Surge just as good as electric brakes?
Surge are OK, just have to be careful not to back up too fast. I don't think you have any option for manual control with surge brakes.
Around these ways you'd only see a 3 tonner in the dump bed, very rarely on a trailer. Some aluminium ramps and you're in business.
A typical set up over here in NZ
Is that your rig? How.long is the dump bed?
Nah not my picture, just one from Google. A typical bed for a truck that size would be 10-16ft
not quite the same thing but if you were going to the dump truck bed then just build some ramps for it that make it safe I have driven minis up way sketchier stuff just respect what your doing it might make you nervous the first time or 2
Im going to have it weighed. The registration says it weighs 9900lbs. I suspect thats on the light side? The gvwr is 17,400lbs according to the line ticket glued to the top of headliner. I was thinking more like 13000lbs,at that weight i could only legally have 4400lbs in dump box. If thats really the case may change things drastically. May sell the dump box setup and make it a platform to haul the minni or sell the international. I dont have alot of $$ tied up in it.
surge brakes are fine for small trailers, but with something like an excavator, you want independent brake control of the trailer and that means electric brakes. Even when you have the load bias set right, strong wind, or abrupt driving correction can set up some sway and you need to be able to brake the trailer to straighten out.
Before I bought my dual tandem trailer I pulled a little 16ft 5 ton trailer a lot. If I needed my skid steer and mini ex I let the tailgate down on the dump truck, drove the mini up the trailer and then hopped it over into the dump truck. Then I'd load the skid steer on the trailer. One of the big things to remember is if you put down pressure on the tail of a dump bed you WILL raise the bed. To solve that I added Drings to the truck frame and underside of the bed. I cut a couple short chains and would just chain the bed down before loading. It was an unusual load around here but very effective at getting a tightwad and his machines to work. It always made my wife nervous watching me load it though. John
in south louisana you might encounter muddy conditions and slide right off the side of your ramps if you have the slighest lean. a rental store nearby has some trucks like kiwi shows, really nice work.