Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

loading in wet area

firecatf7333 ยท 2013-01-10 09:26

Looking for suggestions for loading in a somewhat wet area. A guy wants me to move a pile of horse manure( maybe 200 yards or 8/9- 10 wheeler loads) The area isn't a swamp, but the manure holds moisture and therefore the area never really drys out. I'm in central NY, and after this warm up its supposed to get cold again. I think if the ground freezes for a 3 or 4 days it could help, but it will still be somewhat wet. I have a case 1845c with aggressive tires. I could also rent a t180. Will the t180 be alot better in the wet conditions? I don't think i'd get buried as its not that wet, but the issue is whether i'll be able to load the manure or just spin and not be able to load the pile. Any other suggestions?

Replies13
  1. #1buckfever2013-01-10 20:25

    I would look at the t180. The amount of work you will get done with a track machine and not getting frustrated trying to dig into the pile will more then make up for the rental.

  2. #2JBGASH2013-01-10 22:22

    Buckfever is correct. The T-180 tracked machine will be the way to go on that project.

  3. #3farmerleach2013-01-10 22:44

    Tacks would be better in the wet conditions. My experience with manure piles is that while they maybe soft around the edges, typically under the main bedding pack the ground is generally hard. Mind you this depends on who and how the pens were constructed. All our pens are built on a hard pack clay/sand mix so the areas under the bedding pack is hard, around the edges especially at spring breakup can get soft. Our piles are 1800-2000 cubic yards, so a bit more than what your looking after. If you can go tracks.

  4. #4firecatf73332013-01-10 22:52

    If there is any snow at all should i hold off? I have a mini track mt55 and its horrible in the snow, just spins. If the ground freezes andiwe dont get much snow and use t180 i think I'll be ok How does a track machine do in say 1-2" of snow? Would it be better to load in a little wet area for traction instead of a frozen ground?

  5. #5buckfever2013-01-11 19:28

    Tracks go great in the snow till you spin once. Then the snow turns to ice and you just spin. Same goes with frozen ground, if you have a little gravel skatered on top it can make a easyer go of it. Best to stay in the thawed areas and peel the frost of when and where you can.

  6. #6Delmer2013-01-12 10:55

    I'd prefer to work on frozen ground, but it has to cold enough that it stays frozen and dry on top, maybe in the teens or colder? if it's in the 20's it will slick up and you're done. Depending on how the manure is piled, it should generate enough heat to keep from freezing at all. No experience with rubber tracks here. way too much experience with slipping tires.

  7. #7durallymax2013-01-21 11:57

    Its rarely a soup hole under the piles, just tacky clay. But depends on your soil types. The issues we run into around here is that we pile in the same spot everytime and have inexperienced people unloading out of them and they dig a deep hole which makes it worse and worse every year. We we generally use the wheel loader, but the wheeled skid steers work fine.

  8. #8ironjunkie2013-01-22 21:37

    If the **** is in hay, you should consider a grapple of some type. If sawdust, a bucket will be ok. If you end up renting, I'd consider an ex. Climb up in the pile and go at it. Ground conditions at that point only matter to your trucks.

  9. #9NCPIPELINE2013-01-23 06:17

    Yep

  10. #10Dinger492013-01-24 21:22

    I have used tire chains on my skid steer. Relatively cheap and provide more than adequate traction. I have one skid steer with rubber over the tire tracks and the other one with chains in winter. Agreed, tracks work great until they spin once then ineffective. The chains have worked well on frozen ground.

  11. #11NCPIPELINE2013-01-25 05:48

    Anyone have any input on the effects of chains on skid steer tires? Do they handle the chains fine with no sign of wear on tires?

  12. #12KSSS2013-01-25 14:01

    I have had chains rough up the edge of the tread on L-4 and 5 type tread designs. Nothing that has caused me issue. I have not had that problem with the typical skid steer tire tread.

  13. #13Dinger492013-01-25 14:53

    So far, minimal ill effects on the tires. I have 14 X 17.5 tires on a Gehl 7810 and only run chains on the engine end which gives me adequate traction for pushing an 8' x 30" high snow blade. Before I installed chains, one side of the blade would get heavy and pull the skid steer around. Now, no problem. The skid steer is parked in the shop, and I don't want big scratch marks on the floor so with chains on the heavy end, its not so bad. I let the air out of the tires and pulled the chains as tight as I could, then inflated them. There is no slop in the chains and they stay put.