Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Loading trucks, what makes people angry

z_halen · 2008-08-26 05:14

Hi guys Thought i might quiz you guys for some more simple advice. I've got a job loading trucks out of a big road job that i start in a couple of days, and i thought i might ask if there are particular things that make guys angry when doing this. I know i'm not meant to load over the cab, but what sort of things makes a good operator. Any hints for keeping the pile tidy and how much is too much or not enough. Anything you guys can mention will really help I know there is no such thing as a stupid question, but, i don't want to walk up there having a ticket and all asking questions that i really should know. Thanks guys. P.S if there was already a post about this that i didn't find in the search please link it for me.... Cheers :drinkup:drinkup

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies72
  1. #1JimBruce422008-08-26 05:27

    Are you using a loader or excavator? On-road or off road trucks? In general: Take your time. You don't wanna hit the truck, more so with the on-road trucks.(might seem like a stupid answer, but sometimes it's not) On road trucks, the general rule for knowing their loaded is when material is "just" visible over the sideboards.... off road its more like when you run out of room on the truck. If you're loading any large rocks or borken pavement, PLACE them in the bed, truck drivers don't like getting tossed around more than they have to. There are plenty more, but I need to get moving here this morning

  2. #2rino14942008-08-26 06:11

    Don't dribble any dirt on the side of the box. Becareful so that any rocks slide off the bucket and hit the box or the wheels. Don't just toss the dirt in the box, instead, just place it in. Also, don't break any sideboards.

  3. #3Dirtman20072008-08-26 06:39

    Like others said just be easy when you dump it. Try not to spill too much on the side of the truck, but it's going to happen. It's alot easier to load the truck if you are up on the pile of dirt. This way you don't have to pick the bucket up so high and you don't strow as much. Check out this little video. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=YCbrK4zIF8o

  4. #4dirt digger2008-08-26 07:21

    sit higher then the trucks (i have loaded trucks when i was sitting lower then them before, not a whole lot of fun)...take your time, have the trucks get as close to you as possible so you aren't stretching (assuming you are loading with a trackhoe) also if you are on a pile when the trucks are there work in short radius from the machine, don't extend all the way out and drag back, get full buckets from the pile under you then between trucks reach out and pull it all back to you...its more efficient and less time consuming per truck

  5. #5knucklehead982008-08-26 07:25

    IF you are loading big chunks of concrete,rock,or asphalt, if it is possible put a layer of dirt in the boottom of the bed. This will help protect the bed and absorb some of the shock if a piece does get away from you.

  6. #6z_halen2008-08-26 09:23

    Great guys, thanks very much for the tips, i'm sure it's harder for you to remember as it would be second nature for you all. Yes i should have mentioned that i'll be on an excavator. Been watching the youtube clips picking up on the way that different guys operate. I learn more by watching and listening to other operators then trying to recreate the wheel on my own. Thanks again and keep'em coming

  7. #7Squizzy246B2008-08-26 09:34

    Z you need to consult the Heavy Equipment Forums ultimate guide to Machine Operator vs Truck Driver relations: This thread is full of great advice for managing your loadout :cool2

  8. #8Squizzy246B2008-08-26 09:49

    However, on a more serious note; Without being all officious about it, I always make sure the drivers understand that I'm running the show. Make them park where you want....not where they think they should. Know your trucks and machine capacity, especially if the drivers are getting paid by the hour. If your loading out tri-axle semis and have a 2.5 cube bucket then a bit over 7 buckets should do it. Don't let those scallywag drivers pull off with only 3/4's of a load. By the same token be mindful of who has to pay the ticket if the heavies get them for overloading. Keep your load out area clean and level. Use the UHF for positioning the trucks.

  9. #9dirt digger2008-08-26 10:08

    and when the drivers tick you off....and they will...hold the first bucket load of dirt 10 feet above the sideboards and let 'er rip

  10. #10AtlasRob2008-08-26 14:49

    Start at one end of the truck and place the next bucket full ( depending on size ) on top or slightly in front of the last until you are just above the sides with the top of you spoil, then work along with each bucket full. This allows you to see if you have the muck / spoil / rock in the middle of the body. Nothing worse than a truck loaded all along one side. Once loaded and he pulls away grab a glance of the truck from the back you'll soon see if you've got it a bit to one side, and you will I tend to run the flat of the bucket along the length of the load to take the top 4" or 6" off the top which makes it look tidy. DO NOT push the muck down into the body. In the UK it is hard to overload an 8 wheeler with broken concrete due to bulking, but easy with wet clay Take notice of what you are loading, think if you had to push a wheelbarrow of the stuff, would you heap it up as its light loamy soil or would you just take 3/4 load as its heavy clay As previously stated try and get yourself on a bench above the trucks but not too high, tracks at top of body level is ideal, remember you might need to sort the bench behind you while loading or between loads. If the heap is toooo high when you start, dig yourself onto the bench and load a few trucks with the material that is in your way. Just went and looked at Chris's vid and I would suggest if loading over the back start at front and work toward yourself you can see easier :IMO Unless its lumps of concrete or ashphalt in which case its easier and gentler to place the first with the bucket right down inside the truck, cover the floor like this then add on top. :drinkup

  11. #11Dirtman20072008-08-26 16:15

    We were dumping on an unlevel site so loading towards the rear helps prevent it from becoming top heavy while dumping.

  12. #12Dirtman20072008-08-26 16:23

    Haha I had a truck driver once that would back up in a speed no one else could touch. I mean he back up faster than I could run and would hardly ever stop when I blew the horn, almost ran into me a couple of times, so from then on I had him back under the bucket that way I could slam the bucket down inside the bed before he backed into me... It was always interesting It was also fun to stick the bucket down in the load of dirt, blow the horn and watch him try to figure out why the truck won't move. Although the plan backfired oneday when He threw it in granny gear and just about drug me off the dirt pile

  13. #13AtlasRob2008-08-26 17:05

    It wasn't a critisism of what you were doing, I guessed the truck was staying on site It was just that up to that point I had only thought about loading over the side off a bench for road going trucks. :thumbsup :drinkup

  14. #14Dirtman20072008-08-26 18:03

    oh no offense was taken, we all have our ways of loading trucks. Yeah when their working offsite we tend to put a couple "extra" scoops on the truck

  15. #15aosteelheader2008-08-26 18:05

    z I'm not sure if you mean what makes the drivers angry or what gets to the operator loading trucks. The things that bother me while loading trucks on a production show are..... The trucks not stopping where you want them to. If they stop too far from the pile it slows down your cycle time a lot. Most of the time a quick chat to let them know whats expected of them is all thats needed to fix the problem. If there's a dozer working with you, building benches, truck roads etc. it sure can screw things up if you don't have a good dozer hand. Its nice to talk to the dozer operator in the morning and make a plan then check back with him later to see if it needs to be adjusted. Its good if the dozer man builds the bench the right height for the size excavator your loading with. Its a pain to have the bench/pile so high the trucks can't get close enough even if they try. I worked with a guy last summer that was the best I'd ever seen. He always kept everything set up plenty ahead of me. It sucks to have 10-12 haul trucks setting around waithing for someone to get a road going. I think the thing that angers truck drivers, especially owner operators of on road trucks is the loader man being rough with the truck. They also hate overload tickets. There's a fine line between the trucks leaving light and a few tons overloaded. With everything as high as it is now days an overload ticket can easily cost the owner of the truck more than the truck makes in a day. They're usually pretty good about heping you get the right amount of weight on there.

  16. #16z_halen2008-08-26 20:08

    Hey guys, I'm really happy with the responses so far, i'm picking up heaps. I think i'm mainly loading articulated trucks for offsite, but i'm sure they may throw a couple of trucks & dogs in at me for moving around via the road on the site. Yeah, i think some of the biggest points you guys are getting at, is to have a constant look at your work at keep checking where i'm at. Whether the truck is loaded too much on one side or how much mess i'm leaving on the ground and to plan ahead with the benching and where i'm going. I'm not sure how quick these trucks are going to be coming at me, i'd like to leave the area pretty tidy around me and not feel super rushed, at least for the first day, but i'm sure that won't happen. I guess i might have to have a talk with the super with how well they want it cleaned up afterwards or will they be sending a grader in afterwards any how. So with those articulated trucks, best to load from the front or back or depends on situation??

  17. #17hoeman6002008-08-26 20:56

    check my thread homans all new hoecam and watdh my vids. they should help. if yer loading street trucks take yer time

  18. #18curly2008-08-26 20:57

    When I drove ADT we always loaded from the back so we could stage and get out quick as possible, but we were loading large rock too so that had a little to do with it. Another thing not touched on is tarps. Be mindful of where it is if the truck has one and be sure you don't hit it or fill it with material, that'll really make them mad.

  19. #19JimBruce422008-08-26 21:00

    OK, I must have missed that this is in the "excavator" forum when I read/replied this morning, so that makes helping easier. I'm a bit confused though you're loading ADT's for off site use or do you mean offroad? I just want to make sure I'm reading what your saying, LOL.:drinkup THe best/fastest way to load any trucks is, as everyone has said, bench loading (from above the truck). Preferable with the truck facing the fill, and you digging in that direction as well, if possible. Try to get it so you don't have to swing more than 90 degrees max. This allows you to sort of swing over the whole length of the bed and dump the bucket, whereas when you are rear loading you have a smaller window in your swing that you can actually dump. ( I don't think that makes any sense, but I can't think of a better way to say it... :beatsme ) Ideal bench height is the length of your stick or so the boom/housing pin is just above the height of the trucks sideboards. IF the trucks are going to be traveling on a road with the public then you'll want to make sure that the load won't spill if the truck hits a bump. On the other hand if they are running on their own haul roads, production might out way that concern, in which cause, load 'em up.:cool2 Hope my help is help and not completely confusing What size hoe are you running and when do we get pictures?:usa

  20. #20hoeman6002008-08-26 21:06

    dont try to be a hero. ya gotta crawl before you walk. all the tricks that we tell you may not work for you at first. with time you will develop yer own style of loading. use uor input as steping stones. you will **** of a driver or two just shurug it off. they probly didnt have their 3rd coffee break yet. in 22 years doing this ive been told I suck and ive been requested to load by drivers it all depends on yer style and their mood. and with adt's its a lil less stressful. if they **** you off. tell em WERE NOT LOADING SOAP SUDS . THE FEATHIER JOB IS DOWN THE STREET:usa

  21. #21Burnout2008-08-26 21:26

    This is a pretty good thread to read... I kinda wished I had read it about 5 years ago when I started loading trucks. I definately agree with all the comments here. And as Hoeman said... your gonna *&^% some drivers off but it happens. Take your time and do it nicely and the drivers will definately help you out. This winter I was loading frozen topsoil with a 953 and another operator with a 200 Deere, most of the drivers strayed away from me because I had to drop the lumps in the trucks. After a day or so of work out of the 20 or so tandems we had 16 of them would only come to me. I always loaded them softly and the hoe operator tried loading a chunk the side of a Honda Civic into a tandem and it slipped out of his bucket and landed on the side of the box. But if they do &*%^ you off... just drop that first good bucket a couple feet higher than normal. Last year I was loading ADT's with a 385 but ours are all long stick, the trucks can't be too close because you cant get the bucket high enough, can't be too far away because you lift a track or can't get the stick out all the way. I had one driver who never quite got that memo, so I just raked my teeth right off the side of the truck as I dumped into her truck. The load after she got into the sweet spot once again. I felt like a dink about doing it to her so I made amends that afternoon. Now we're dating. So be nice to the lady truck drivers, as for the dudes... thats your call.

  22. #22JimBruce422008-08-26 21:40

    Burnout, How has... *insert name* been doing? If ADT's give you trouble, lightly rocking their beds sometimes helps to wake them up or rock them to sleep, I haven't figured out which.:beatsme I was loading an A30 last week with 2B stone and the last load the driver kept backing up to me after I'd blown the horn a few times, now the horn on that 328 is quiet, but I dont need a truck in my lap, so a light "nudge" against the front of the bed with the bucket got the truck to stop when the horn didn't:Banghead This is another reason I prefer the "drive by bench loading" No backing needed.

  23. #23qball2008-08-26 22:07

    sheesh, it's loading trucks, not rocket surgery. put the dirt in the truck. not at the truck. and remember two things, you run the machine, not vice versa. and the operator is the boss.

  24. #24RollOver Pete2008-08-26 22:10

    Hmmmm... I obviously have a different way of thinking than most around here. Maybe because I've done this so long or worked for some of the biggest, most self righteous, ungrateful, self proclaimed legends to the dirt moving industry here in So Cal. Working rental, I've just about seen it all. Also, having been an owner operator of a Peterbilt truck n transfer helps me to understand what a truck can and can't do. Having spent time in both seats allows me to be a bit more realistic and productive when it comes to setting up and loading trucks. It's also why I think and load the way I do. In my eyes, the two most important things that I need to have is communication and I gotta be comfortable. By communication, I mean that the truck drivers need to be on the same page as the operator loading them. On large truck jobs, I've always had some kind of meeting with the truck foreman or better yet, the drivers themselves before I ever start loading. I make sure that we all understand each other as far as what I expect and what is expected of me. Things like horn signals. 1= stop 2= go 3=back up idiot The trucks are to come to me....always. I decide where I'm gonna load, not anyone else. In other words, come to the bucket. When It's loaded and sitting up in the air, thats where I need a truck to be. Chances are I'll be waiting. I've never intentionally broken any side boards, but if a driver makes my job any harder than it already is, I'll act accordingly. Rarely does this happen, but I've been known to hook a stinger and drag a trailer closer to me....where it should have been in the first place. Once everyone is speaking the same language and on the same page, I'm more comfortable. Being comfortable makes you more productive and much safer. Things like work lights that don't blind you, a seat that doesn't kill your back, clean windows, or by biggest pet peeve... keeping people/foreman/ anyone out and away from behind me All these things and so much more determine how comfortable I am and how productive I'll be. Having a good working relationship with your boss/foreman also helps. He might think he's running the job, but at the end of the shift the load count will only be as high as I allow it to be. The more comfortable I am, the more I'll load. When things go as should, it's easy....almost fluid like. Remember this.... Two people you never want to upset are the job inspector and the guy loading trucks. Both can make or break a job. The reasons are more than obvious. Here's a few vids of some of my nightmares. No two jobs are ever the same. Just adapt, overcome and do what feels right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR7LKUEcTC8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coKvS_bq1-o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDv0qFlJFj4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIazphWS0OM

  25. #25alco2008-08-26 22:19

    Had one of those last night, sort of. I honked, and she didn't stop, so I honked again and she still didn't seem like she was stopping, so instead of waiting to see if she was going to stop, I dropped the bucket into the box and she pushed me backwards a foot. Now to put that into perspective, I was in an EX1900, so a foot is a ways to go. Brian

  26. #26Deere96702008-08-26 22:20

    LMAO!!!!!! Thats a good one chris:drinkup My stomach hurts from laughing so hard!

  27. #27qball2008-08-26 22:22

    ROP. you nailed it. the operator runs the cut and fill. i don't tell a driver how to drive and i don't need a freakin driver tellin me my job.

  28. #28Dirtman20072008-08-26 23:36

    wow! that had to be and experince... what does a Hitachi EX1900 weigh? My truck driver was a part time truck driver/ full time builder. So he was always yacking on the phone while backing up. It's really not a good feeling to see the tailgate gettign closer and closer.... had a quickly back up once to keep from getting nailed... But I will say he's he best truck driver we've ever had ( execpt for the backing issue) But he could out haul the nicest trucks in the fleet with the oldest most out dated truck in there. Oh yeah he did not care how much you loaded on it either! Here's a couple more videos this one is bench loading with the truck backing to the side and this is what I hate the most, loading the truck from the rear while the machine is lower than the truck, you have to somewhat picture how the material is going in the truck so you know where to put it. See how much material falls from the bucket from having to pick it up higher. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=2O5UOknTZac

  29. #29alco2008-08-27 00:18

    Somewhere around the 190 tonne mark depending on how it's equipped. Here's a pic of the little girl. Brian

  30. #30CascadeScaper2008-08-27 01:05

    I'm on a job where we run 51 trucks and pups in and out of a 35 foot deep hole every hour. I've learned a lot about what really happens with trucks and such. I can tell you that if they're climbing any sort of ramp to get out of the cut, that's interesting times. The ramp we have is 3.5:1, not too bad, but with 100K coming up it and some trucks being automatics, gets to be interesting. That's not really your problem in the excavator, however it may play a large role in staging and keeping material where you can get it. We're in a circular pit, trucks come in, cross the exit ramp, do a nice 270 loop and come out of the hole. Material placement, setting up your bench, and keeping the line of trucks moving is very key. The trucks come in spurts, mainly because they all decide they want to BS with each other at the dumpsite, they all jump in their rigs and head back at the same time. We get flooded pretty easy, even with 2, 40 ton excavators with good size buckets loading, keeping the line moving is definatley a lot of stress on the guys in the hoes. Try not to waste time, keep them rolling in and out, plan ahead with material placement. Can't stress that enough. If material is being fed to you via a dozer, hopefully the guy isn't an idiot. That'll throw a wrench in the machine for sure, especially if you're at the end of a bench with nowhere else to go and 20 trucks lined up. You don't have time to set up again with all those trucks waiting, hopefully you won't end up in that situation. Other than that, don't hit the sideboards, signal correctly, keep the bottom of the undercarriage at least as high as the top of the truck tires, keep your loads level and balanced left to right, and most importantly, enjoy yourself.

  31. #31biggixxerjim2008-08-27 01:33

    hmmmm.....

  32. #32z_halen2008-08-27 02:16

    What a great response, i'm really happy for all the help fella's. I think the only way to get more responses is to scream free beer, but the tips you guys have given me i'll definitely try to remember. I'm feeling alot more comfortable now thats for sure. Don't think i'll got dumping any high loads or banging my bucket with anyone though until i've got a fair few years under my belt. But sounds like some good tricks.

  33. #33[-Agent-]2008-08-27 02:38

    Liar, when I was there you only had 2 trucks... BTW I am coming up there someday this week. Just PM me and tell me what you will be running so I acn look for ya. And about loading trucks, I have only loaded trucks once in my life, so can't help much, but I have loaded soaking wet tree pieces in a on-road dump before, had to keep pressure on the thumb all the time or else it would slip out, I would just say, do what feels right to you, and if you feel un-comfortable, make it comfortable. If something feels wrong, it probably is so don't continue and make a bigger problem then what it is. And at all the other comments, I like your comments, I am sure it will help me in 8 years.

  34. #34EZ TRBO2008-08-27 06:43

    When stripping quarries I usually get whoever is around that day to drive the haul trucks. Somtimes it seems as if you have to babysit them all day. They start thinking for themselves and trying to figure out where the best place is to park. HMMM I SAID UNDER THE BUCKET. Usually for me, depending on what I am doing we use the horn system. 1st beep-Stop 2nd beep- your loaded If i use more then one beep I let them know what each is for. Such as if we have black dirt to haul as well. I will use two quick beeps for the black dirt when they are loaded. We also have radios in most of the machines but somtimes they still can't get what needs to be done. Trbo

  35. #35RocksnRoses2008-08-27 08:00

    Quite a few years back we were crushing road base in a rubble pit for a District Council here and the council trucks were carting off the crusher. The council had their own loader, a Cat 930 and the old chap operating it had probably been there about ten years too long. He was telling me that when he was loading, he lifted the bucket up in the air and the trucks had to back underneath the bucket where ever he was and he was not moving for anyone. He said, occasionally they would back into him, but he wasn't moving. Rn'R.

  36. #36euclid2008-08-27 08:32

    I ran a cat 920 many many years ago and because many of the boxes were above my view I made a ramp so I was able to clear the box clean and I was able to load even. Up in the Panhandle of Texas we had this clay mix that was kind of blue-green and cream colored. And when it was wet it would stick to the box and make it difficult to dump out. Usually the next day I'd help a few drivers clean their boxes with our hoe. But I found that taking my time and being smooth was the key. At first I made a lot of drivers mad and they'd squawk at me on the box but in a few weeks I was doing real good. I stayed real busy since I had to push my pile and load and I had no dozer to help me cut. So usually I would be in two or three hours early so I could get a head start. After a month my boss noticed I could keep up with the trucks and so he offered up a dozer operator to make me a huge pile. I also loaded out base materals and sand and gravel. But that cray was a hard job because it stuck to the bucket and that was a daily job to clean out my bucket, grease my machine and make sure it had fuel for the next day. Boy if it wasn't for youth I might have quit.

  37. #37AtlasRob2008-08-27 16:30

    If your anything like as lucky as Burnout, when is your first date Know exactly what you mean Brian, big hoe but that generally means BIG trucks . I dont care what it is backing up to me the bucket goes straight in the back without dumping about 2 milliseconds after the horn if I dont sense the truck stopping or see brake lights it might spill his / her coffee but a darn sight easier than trying to get a truck out of the cab :Banghead Thats why I much prefer bench loading.

  38. #38dirt digger2008-08-27 18:17

    heres what you want to try and avoid...i was on top of the pile and the trucks were backing in on the left until we got enough pile moved where they could come to the other side...as you can tell i had to stretch more then i would have liked to

  39. #39CascadeScaper2008-08-27 18:37

    The reason there was only 2 trucks was because I wasn't working that day. Haha. I found out those 2 trucks were bringing in loads of 2-4" rock for road base so we could get the truck and pup combos up the hill. Hopefully we'll be trucking again on Friday, this rain is killing us. Needs a good day or two to dry out. If not Friday, probably Saturday, weather is supposed to be drier the next few days. I've been on another site doing other stuff since it's raining.

  40. #40[-Agent-]2008-08-27 19:22

    I know and more thunder storms tonight. I was at the ER all day today but was planning to go to redmond, but didn't have time. Tell me thursday if your going to work friday, I can plan then. Oh so the trucks only come when you work...

  41. #41hoeman6002008-08-27 21:48

    I call this an indipendant un othorized thought ointhead

  42. #42580bruce2008-08-27 21:52

    What types of projets in Seattle are you guys on?I sure miss the Seattle scene.Post some pics!

  43. #43[-Agent-]2008-08-27 23:29

    Well cascade scraper is diggin a big hole.

  44. #44knucklehead982008-08-28 20:23

    I know he ain't diggin over those drive motors is he???????????

  45. #45hoeman6002008-08-28 20:29

    TURNER AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!! safety safety:Banghead:Banghead

  46. #46CascadeScaper2008-08-28 20:50

    Yep, they're safety oriented. If I get off my machine and do anything by hand, I have to wear gloves. Oh well, they're just covering themselves, not that big of a deal. That's not me in that 400, I wasn't there that day. I guarantee he wasn't digging over the finals, that guy is one of our best operators. Looks like he was traversing the top of the slope, don't believe he was digging in the pic.

  47. #47tonka2008-08-28 21:03

    X1,000,000!

  48. #48[-Agent-]2008-08-28 21:07

    He wasn't doing anything really, just swinging around like a carousel. And talking to random people.

  49. #49CascadeScaper2008-08-29 00:09

    Haha. Well, when we're not trucking, those 400's don't run all that much. Like I said, he's a good operator, senior guy on the crew, more or less he was just there to stay busy. If you get a chance to watch him, he's good.

  50. #50[-Agent-]2008-08-29 01:36

    Yeah is he always on the 400? If so I will know where to look.

  51. #51CascadeScaper2008-08-29 01:53

    Yeah he's always running a 400. Hard to say which one, I know him and the other guys fight over the dash 7.

  52. #52Smitty2008-08-29 12:35

    Ok, I'm a rookie and have never run an excavator (I would love to though). So tell me what is the problem with digging over the drive motors?

  53. #53dirt digger2008-08-29 13:08

    theres an entire recent thread on this...check it out, some things you would never think of

  54. #54Dirtman20072008-08-29 14:53

    Let's face it, you can't always dig over the idlers. some places you just have too as there's not enough room the swing the machine around let alone try to spin the tracks 180 degrees. I can't get in trouble for it though, when working in the mud to the top of the tracks you can't tell which end their on until you move the machine!

  55. #55dirt digger2008-08-29 15:29

    it is impossible to always dig with them in proper position...especially when you get into some of the small tight jobs that i have been in...it would take more time to turn around and "properly" dig then it would be worth....however if you are sitting on a pile and doing nothing but swinging in circles loading trucks then they should be to the rear

  56. #56z_halen2008-08-30 18:11

    Well guys, 2 days on the job and i'm still there, Wow, has your advise helped alot. I've kept my head down and kept really busy, even when there is a break in the trucks i keep doing something to get ready for the next one and i think that made the difference between me staying on the job and not. I'm still not the most fluid operator there is there by a long shot, but i'm always preparing the bench behind me making sure i've got some where to go. On my 2nd day though a hose blew, so i was sitting around for a couple of hours watching everyone but other than that so far so good. What have i learnt, Well, truck drivers, some are great and some are really anal, I figure you can't please everyone, not even santa claus would make some of these guys smile. Doesn't really bother me though. Stay tuned & thanks again :notworthy:notworthy:drinkup

  57. #57CascadeScaper2008-08-30 18:48

    Yep, some truck drivers are cool, some you'll never be able to please. They always have something to complain about.

  58. #58Boophoenix2008-08-31 05:22

    Some good info in this thread. I've loaded and driven and now am an owner operator. I don't expect to be loaded so gently that I can't tell it but I don't expect to be abused by dropping on me or the excess of the bucked hitting my truck on the swing so the operator could get a full bucket. the past few weeks it's gotten worse here with foot and larger rocks flying towards my truck or 3 foot rocks rolling off and the pile and hitting me. I'm a hire on right now so taking a bit of it, but ya have to rember in this situation while the loader is an hourly employee as me I have to pay for my truck. If he breaks it I'm out of work and money. With hourly rates not going up as fuel did and work getting harder to find it's not worth it to get abused. With fuel running 300 a day, truck payment and insurance, maintaining the truck and trying to feed myself ocationally it's cheaper to stay home than get abused. There is a lot of anamousaty between drivers and loaders. Because they both think they are right. The loader has to produce but the truck has to produce as well. Very few companies will let ya over load there own trucks but will a hire on. this is just my 2 cents from both sides. Tips: I try to line up on the bucket if it's staged, if not i'll get close and wait till I get a feel of how the loader loads. Loading from atop the pile works best, but at the same time if you're to high up the driver loses ya in the mirrors ( if ya can't see him he likely can't see you ). If you're in mixed material ( rock/dirt ) your bigger buckets can hide large rocks and be ruff on a truck. Try to keep the larger rocks to the rear of the truck. A larger rock coming from the front of the bed upon dumping can damage or tear off a gate. A lot of large rocks can hang up in a bed or in the gate when the load shifts upon dumping. Large rocks on the front take a chance of damaging the dog house and the lifting cylinder. Most operators leave a little void towards the front and large rocks on top can shift on the road and shift the truck weight. Try to keep the load area clear of objects and ruts if ya can. Rocks get hung between the rear tires of a truck real easily ( possibly busting the tire or possibly making it to a roadway and become very dangerous to other vehicles aside from possible damage to the truck). Rutts get ya stuck if mixxed with rocks can take out break chambers, PTOs, or even oil pans. Short run load me a little heavier long run be more aware of over loading. Shorter runs generally use less fuel and longer there are more safety issues to being overloaded. If you're loading out freshly blasted rock as ya move into the pile lay the bucket down flat and back drag the staging area ( packing the rock slighly and chipping off some of the sharp edges to try to prevent hung rocks and cutting tires ) And always rember the ole it does happen, but if ya try to avoid it it may not from time to time.

  59. #59joispoi2008-08-31 17:25

    If it hasn´t already been said, keep your bench the same height as the bed of the trucks. Any lower, you can´t see what you´re doing, too much higher, the trucks can´t get close enough and you have to stretch way out. Good luck.

  60. #60jimmyjack2008-09-01 00:02

    having done both drive and load trucks, couple things that i didnt see were give a quick look at the gate and see if its locked i've drivin truck with air gates and the buttons in the closed postion in the cab but the gate isn't locked another thing is when loading with say a loader that last bucket doesnt need to be pushed all the way over to the other side of the truck , i worked witha guy who every time would push about 5yd clear over the opposite side of the truck and i'd have to jump up top a shovel my balls off to clean the sideboards

  61. #61Sharky2008-09-01 13:31

    If possible sit above the trucks, center the load in the bed throughout the length of the box. In other words, dont "Sideload" the box. Get full scoops and "Shake" the bucket a bit so your not spilling material outside of the truck. I try to get the trucks where you have to swing as little as possible to load them and learn how much they can haul, 4 buckets, 6 buckets etc.. If the loads need to be legal, figure out how much a full bucket of material weighs, and get an Idea of how much they can haul. I load with a EX750 Hitachi, most trucks can haul 21 ton, with some being 24. Everyone gets 4 scoops and maybe a tad more to get their tonnage to the max. The 24 ton truck gets 4 1/2. I load shot rock with many BIG rocks mixed in. Lay the material in the bed with smoothness, Nobody wants rock dropped in their box, unless they are irritating you, then do as mentioned, drop it in from 10 feet. Truck drivers dont think all the time and cant read minds, more or less, some dont have a clue as to even what your building, they are just there to haul material. Try to make the routine easy for them, where they dont have to think much. I place huge rocks or logs so they have to drive where I need them to, force them where they need to be. Then you will have the idiots that drive into a 4 ft rock. Thats their problem then for not paying attention. I could go on forever, I drove truck for years, but now seem to hate truckdrivers for the most part, there is no hope for most of them, so I just learn to deal with it.

  62. #62knucklehead982008-09-01 21:38

    Loading them also makes them angry. It means that they will actually HAVE to go do a little something!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  63. #63qball2008-09-01 21:50

    what do you call 100 truck drivers in a basement? a whine cellar... get it? heeheehee

  64. #64qball2008-09-01 21:53

    what's dumber than a truck driver? 2 truck drivers. i'm onna roll now.

  65. #65Deere96702008-09-01 22:09

    o boy here we go again ointhead Ive seen some drivers that could do it all and some that were dumber then the box of rocks that they were hauling:bash But yea if ya ever wanna **** off a truck driver, hop in his rig when he busy doing somthing else, pull out the parking brake(s) shut er down....then just start pumping the brakes , or if you really feel like laughing, just open the valve on the tank(s) then sit back and watch him try to figure out why he isent builing air when he returns:drinkup

  66. #66Sharky2008-09-01 23:59

    I usually crank their heat on high and roll up the windows when it's hot out, let the air out of the seat, but leave just enough so it is still up when they get in. Some do a fair job, while others never will get any better as long as they live. Did I mention, I hate truckdrivers Another good one is a seal bomb (Like an M80) in the box as they drive away, KA BOOM! Most think they blew a tire, but I have seen guys call the shop not having any idea what happened. I have had others think it backfired or blew the engine. Idiots:Banghead

  67. #67Dozerboy2008-09-02 19:58

    I would of guessed a scraper hand...

  68. #68qball2008-09-02 21:10

    nah, most scrapers have 2 gas pedals, a teamster would be lost.

  69. #69Dirtman20072008-09-04 21:09

    I used this one today on my regular truck driver... He told me to go F myself then he tried to some up with a snap back for a dumb bulldozer operator which sucked so bad I can't remember it:bash anyways we both had a good laugh:usa

  70. #70dirt digger2008-09-05 01:48

    ok....what about guys that run hoe 80% of the time and drive dump truck the other 20%....i could look down on you for not having your real mans drivers license right?...haha

  71. #71EZ TRBO2008-09-05 06:52

    This wasn't with an excavator but the other day i was at the quarry to change out the oil in our WA 500 loader. All of our trucks were out and it was said I would have about an hour before any of them were back in to that quarry. About 10 mins after i started 3 old beat up trucks from and excavation company pulled in, wanting shot rock. I said its going to take me a bit to finish but when i do i'll load ya. The one guy was super nice but one of the other guys was a grump. "I have a cat and an excavator sitting right now, so hurry it up." Well I did my best but wasn't going to miss somthing either. When I finshed I got going and loaded the first truck(nice guy) and he was gone. The second truck was Mr. Badmood, and just my luck first scoop had a chunk the size of a basketball on the edge and was the first to fall in, of course making a loud clunk and shaking a bit. He gave me a look that if looks could kill I'd be dead. He just shook his head and turned away. I didn't mean to drop that in, but hey you wanted shot rock and it was the ONLY rock that did that. He even kept trying to pull away while I finished the last dump. But that was better than watching them load as they were being VERY hard on the loader getting into the shot so oh well. Trbo

  72. #72curly2008-09-05 06:58

    My favorite thing to do was remove the red line, slip a quarter in there then put it back. Trailer release will go in but nothing will happen, further hilarity when they stall the truck! On mixers you can put packets of mustard or whatever between the rollers and it will shoot pretty good too.