Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Loadline belly dump gate ram is jerky

Snipe ยท 2015-11-26 18:58

I bought a use belly dump gravel trailer and air ram for back gate is jerky when opening gate, any ideas on what's wrong with it.

Replies11
  1. #1clintm2015-11-26 20:23

    Air cycld's are not smooth operating like hyd one's they are kinda jumpy .Is it getting enough air flow is air oiler giving the system enough oil.They are not that hard to reseal as long as the rod or barrel is not bent/dented or corroded.

  2. #2lantraxco2015-11-26 21:14

    If the gate doors are not swinging free on their pins, that will also cause it to stutter. As clintm said check that the oiler is there, has oil in it, and is feeding oil and no restrictions or crimped lines or hoses. Either inside the cylinder, the rod packings, or in the moving gate parts, there's some drag. The air flows until there's enough pressure to make it jump, then it catches again and you have to wait for enough air to build up until the pressure exceeds the drag. The material laying on the gates can be part of the problem also.

  3. #3Shimmy12015-11-26 21:46

    I've never seen a belly dump gate that opens like it was operated by hydraulics. They are always a little jerky. Shouldn't matter. The load won't care.

  4. #4lantraxco2015-11-27 01:36

    Make sure all the trailer air tank drains work and all the water is drained out.

  5. #5Snipe2015-11-27 07:21

    Thanks guys, trailer has a little door on the side that has a air bag dump valve then a air shut off valve that is attached to a oiler maybe. It looks like a water filter as it has a petcock on the bottom I will see if I can see were air lines go from it. What kind of oil do I use for lubricator if it is one?

  6. #6clintm2015-11-27 21:28

    if it's been setting for awhile it wouldn't hurt to disassemble the valve and clean it check the seal's and orings ,lube it up and reassemble the oiler and water separator also

  7. #7Shimmy12015-11-27 21:41

    Don't know if it's right or wrong, but I use Marvel air tool oil.

  8. #8Snipe2015-11-27 22:34

    I checked with dealer, this trailer has no oiler because air cylinder has ceramic piston.

  9. #9lantraxco2015-11-28 04:25

    And a rustproof cylinder tube? Hmmmm....

  10. #10clintm2015-11-29 21:45

    :umno:idontgetit so it doesn't need any lubrication. my 1st gut feeling call's BS!

  11. #11Snipe2015-11-30 18:17

    Factory says not, they say it has ceramic cylinders and I have spread a few loads and it works just fine so far.