Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Location of solenoid valves on Volvo L20B loader?

MikeC1962 ยท 2024-03-06 16:53

Sorry for starting a new thread but since this is a bit of a new problem, I though it would be OK. So, the original issue was the loader not moving. After I did some testing, I pulled the fuse / relay board and found a trace that had been destroyed. It when between the forward and reverse relays (pins 30). Fixed that. Now I am being told that the unit is blowing fuses when it is in reverse (sometimes right away .. sometimes after 1/2 hour). Works great in forward. So .... this makes sense since the trace that was destroyed on the board fed the reverse circuit. My best guess is that either solenoid MA-9Y (reverse direction) or MA-Y10 (direction) are bad or the wiring going to them is shorting (grounding). I have enough of the wiring diagram to see what feeds the solenoids (X105 wire 3 and X105 wire 4) My question is where do I find these solenoids? I assume they are somewhere on the transmission but there are a handful of solenoids there ... which one? I can pull each connector and trace each wire with a meter till I find it but it would be a lot easier if someone had a diagram showing the locations. Also does anyone have a part number for these solenoid valves? I am sure I will need to order one. Thanks so much ..... Mike

Replies5
  1. #1MikeC19622024-03-07 17:06

    OK ... been under the tractor all afternoon. I didn't find the solenoids I was looking for. Then I remembered seeing two solenoids on the pump (or just before it) just after the motor. I tried one ... looks like the forward solenoid. tried the other .... both wires on the harness are shorted to ground. So, I think I found the problem. Can anyone confirm the two solenoids on the top of the pump just after then engine are the forward and reverse solenoids? Thanks .... Mike

  2. #2funwithfuel2024-03-07 17:32

    The opposing solenoids on the pump are fwd and rev. The one on the motor is for high and low speed.

  3. #3MikeC19622024-03-07 18:07

    AWESOME !!!!!!!!!! I am going to cut the wire going to the solenoid and run a new one over to the connector (pin 3 on 105) ... I just didn't want to do this till I was sure these were the correct solenoids. Like I said ... they seemed to be correct as one connected to pin 2 (the correct pin for the forward solenoid) and this one grounded out on both sides ... which explains why it blow fuses every time it goes into reverse. Thanks!

  4. #4MikeC19622024-03-08 14:24

    DONE AND WORKING! It was the wire leading from the relay / fuse board to the reverse solenoid that was grounded somewhere. Lucky for me, he had taken off the reverse horn (said it scared the cows). I used that wire since it already ran to the back .... spliced it in .. worked great! Years ago there was 40 dairy farms in the area, When I moved in about 15 years ago there was 10 Now he is the last one left ... at least this should keep him going for a while longer. Thanks again!

  5. #5BRUTCHI2025-03-18 09:51

    I have a smiler problem, the Volvo l20b can't go forward only goes reverse anyone to help the location of the forward and reverse solenoid please or share the diagram.