Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

location of the torque converter sensor

ckinser1 ยท 2015-05-06 09:09

OK thanks to all who have helped especially alrmanI have everything working except for my temp sensor on the torque converter. Bear in mind that this is my first backhoe. Where should I find the torque converter and is it best to access from bellow or pull the floor panels. Like I said first backhoe case 590 SL

Replies6
  1. #1melben2015-05-06 09:47

    It takes quite a bit to see the temp gage for the transmission to rise. Put the trans in High gear forward shuttle and put it against a full throttle load with the brakes for a bit and see if the trans temp gage comes up. Most times the gage is working just fine but people unfamiliar with them expect some action when the machine is being run. You can safely take the temp up to near red without any system damage , then a shift to neutral should show a rapid drop in temperature as the oil goes through the cooler. I actual operation the temp will not rise appreciably but extended loader operation in hot temperatures will bring the temp up. Test as described then post back. IIRC he sender is on one of the cooler line fittings on the RH side of the machine, possibly near the filter. (its been a while). I have never had to replace a heat sensor on one of those.

  2. #2ckinser12015-05-06 21:31

    Well I tried what you recommended but no luck the guage acts exactly like the water temp guage if you disconnect the line which is what I think the problem is. Just a disconnected sensor. I will try to find the converter and the sensor tomorrow

  3. #3alrman2015-05-07 08:19

    The transmission sender unit looks very much like the engine temp unit & is located up high on the transmission RHS just in front of the gearshift.

  4. #4ckinser12015-05-07 12:13

    Okay I can't seem to find it the area is a bear with the rubber skirt but even with a light all I have found are the transmission starting disconnects which is a double box. I will go look one more time. I did find a disconnect for a 2 line that I am betting goes to the sensor.

  5. #5ckinser12015-05-07 12:56

    Here is a pic

  6. #6ckinser12015-05-07 12:58

    Cant seem to post pics