Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Log splitter DIY, anyone?

GeeVee ยท 2007-12-20 18:26

ANyone made a splitter to run on a small CTL?

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies17
  1. #1xcavate772007-12-21 11:08

    I just line up about 20 - 30 logs on end in a radius around one of our excavators and split them with the teeth. its fast and pretty fun at the same time. logs have to be on a harder surface though

  2. #2Stick Pro2007-12-21 16:52

    I just got done with my log spliter it turned out great made it on one day i will work on getting some pics of it

  3. #3Serv2007-12-22 10:43

    I built one myself about 9 years ago but I don't use it for splitting logs. I just used an I beam for the frame and boxed some heavy steel around it so the splitting anvil could ride on. Mine is a lot more heavy duty than what you would probably need. I don't have any pics of it that I know of but here's a video that might give you an idea as to how I made it. :drinkup http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/sy733/shop/?action=view&current=MOV00019.flv

  4. #4Steve Frazier2007-12-22 11:51

    Geez!!! That sounds like a Detroit powering that splitter! Man, that thing could split some wood!

  5. #5Serv2007-12-22 20:09

    Yea, at my old place, the only hydraulic power unit I had was powered by a detroit 371. I'd just rig up the hoses and spool valve from my old tire cutter and crush away. I now have 3 phase at my new place and have gathered most of the parts I need to put an electric hydraulic power unit together to get to crushing again. :drinkup

  6. #6Serv2007-12-22 20:18

    here's a couple pics I found of my crusher that might give you a better view of what I did.

  7. #7Danny Steel2010-10-11 10:21

    I made one years ago, And left It with some friends at my old farm Instead of using a small Ibeam, I Used a 18" beam, This way It was easier on the back, Alot of log splitters IMO are too low to the ground:notworthy Danny

  8. #8Kelly O'banan2011-04-27 07:42

    Ya you did the great job a like your crusher...

  9. #9johnabcd2011-06-03 07:59

    You did a wonderful work, thanks for sharing this. This really help people to have their own. Please posting such helpful stuff out here.

  10. #10TCM2011-12-18 22:37

    I neeeed one!

  11. #11TCM2011-12-20 08:20

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DweOo0VRXmM&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL836D87A3F5FCB9B7 In case someone hasn't seen it.

  12. #12spitzair2012-01-12 12:06

    Well! I'm gonna have to make one of these!

  13. #13jrtraderny2012-01-12 16:12

    Exactly what I'm building right now.

  14. #14cjschillinger2012-01-17 17:31

    what are the flow requirements?

  15. #15Ropinghorns2012-01-19 07:47

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/26090448295...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1217wt_1282 I have the stuff to build one soon, I hope.

  16. #16TCM2012-01-29 11:53

    That eBay unit is to expensive for me.

  17. #17Ropinghorns2012-01-29 16:52

    It would take a lot of wood sales to pay for a $3ooo wood splitter.