Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Logging Accidents: And They Walked Away………

trakloader · 2010-04-08 00:57

Please, no fatalities, guts, or gore! Only ones where the operator walked away.

Replies744
  1. #1Contract Logger2010-04-08 00:58

    Well this should be a great thread!

  2. #2trakloader2010-04-08 01:05

    L-218 Punched Through Road Stretch very nearly drowned, but he was able to push the side window out with his back, and slither out between the cab and side guard. A very narrow escape!

  3. #3trakloader2010-04-08 01:12

    More L-218 Stretch poses on his machine. He was back to work later that day, once the machine was back on its feet.

  4. #4trakloader2010-04-08 01:21

    Why Low-Bedding is Dangerous in the Winter.... I know it looks like a head-on, but no. The whole works spun out on the hill, and came down backwards. The push truck ended up doing a doughnut.

  5. #5Contract Logger2010-04-08 01:23

    Wow. Talk about some pucker action!

  6. #6trakloader2010-04-08 01:27

    Continued.... The brains have it figured out, the rock truck dumped a load of ballast, the loader walked off on it, and then the loader lifted the bed back onto the road.

  7. #7Murk1002010-04-08 01:53

    Madill 075 Gold River Walked away

  8. #8Murk1002010-04-08 02:04

    Thanks for starting this thread Trackloader!!! should be fun to watch it grow. PCB/Hayes L420 same loader different dates.

  9. #9DBDLS2010-04-08 09:28

    trakloader: Reminds me of when I worked at Juskatla. It probably wasn't supposed to be that way, but it always seemed that MBQCD was at the top of the hills when winter came. That's when I was glad to not be a truck driver. Thanks for starting this thread. This should be interesting.

  10. #10Murk1002010-04-08 12:18

    Luckiest Trucker I know !!!! scrapped his shin didn't even require a band aid:angel He was back driving the next day:Cowboy

  11. #11Murk1002010-04-08 12:25

    more Lucky Trucker remember boys and they (Walked Away)

  12. #12trakloader2010-04-08 16:01

    Some of these guys may have walked away, but I'll bet they were walking funny.....

  13. #1395zIV2010-04-08 17:15

    UH HUH, Hard to walk straight when your underwear is so far up your butt you'd need a yarder to pull it back out!!

  14. #14spitzair2010-04-08 17:47

    Wow, some pretty scarry looking stuff...

  15. #15Murk1002010-04-08 18:37

    Bowlegged actually lucky dudes I know them all !! We should move a few of our shots over to this thread. I like the one of the 7230r with the night shift mechanics Here's a couple

  16. #16trakloader2010-04-08 20:19

    7230R, Preparing to Grease the Driveline...... Mechanics will do anything to avoid crawling under a machine....... This was actually the result of a mechanic moving the machine without locking the swing. The second mechanic was clinging to the gantry as the machine went over!

  17. #17Murk1002010-04-08 21:54

    Sad day:crying We were at work when this happend nobody hurt. the Gen. set caught fire nothing we could do but watch her burn. They had the Kamov dumping a 1000 gallons every 30 sec. it just poored off the roof. It burned right to the steel deck. We lost everything all personal gear etc. What a pain getting car keys etc delieverd to Port Hardy, guys walking around the airport in caulk boots or socks you probably get the picture. The camp was owned by Interfor set up at Quatlena, Kwatna Inlet 1999? cant remember the name of the barge. It was a couple of years old the nicest camp I've stayed in. Thank christ it didn't happen at night.

  18. #18trakloader2010-04-08 22:00

    Jeez, that's harsh..... This thread is sure growing fast, two pages already!

  19. #19trakloader2010-04-08 23:49

    Fire!! My friend sent me these pics of L-316 burning down. A defective night switch caused a spark, which ignited solvent that the operator was using to wash the engine. He had just opened the valve from the main fuel tank to fill the day tank, and the hose burned off. They used up all the extinguishers, then just waited for something bigger to arrive. The machine was rebuilt and loading again in less than two weeks.

  20. #20expatracer2010-04-08 23:52

    that machine thats burning is that what you where talking about on the cypress thread use a log in the socket for a boom with a special cap ?

  21. #21trakloader2010-04-09 00:07

    That's right.

  22. #22trakloader2010-04-09 02:38

    966 Almost Crushed The note on the back just says "loader accident", I'll bet it scared the Hell out of the operator!

  23. #23trakloader2010-04-09 15:17

    Crew Bus + Black Ice = ........... Luckily, the driver hadn't picked up the crew yet. Otherwise............

  24. #24Contract Logger2010-04-09 23:08

    I was across the canyon logging one day at Snoqualmie Falls when a Weyerhaeuser saftey man showed up driving a Ford Ranger pickup. He parked down the road below-- where the yarder engineer couldn't see and started walking toward the landing. he got half way to the landing on foot and his pickup went straight up in the air- head over heels! Seems they were changing out a skyline and he had parked right on top of the new one- just as they started to spool it! I never got a pic but it looked alot like this van. No injuries, but boy was that embarassing for the safety dude. Nowadays, they would have 4 flaggers up and down the road, lol.

  25. #25Contract Logger2010-04-11 00:31

    Madill 172. Sorry for the Lousy Scan..... No injuries, but lots of damage. This yarder was plagued for awhile it seems. It burned, was rebuilt completely, then tipped over on 2 different occasions. This logger ran several sides and all were fine except this one yarder. I am not going to name the logger, as it is somewhat embarassing. This happened about 5 miles form the Camp 18 Restaraunt and Museum near Elsie, Oregon in 2002. About a month in the Kalama shop and it was good as new...again.

  26. #26Big Iron2010-04-11 14:27

    a little accidental humor and the hook calls up and says we have a "pretty good sized one comin at ya" (last turn of the day:drinkup) that should have been my first clue! i couldn't see the log they were hooking for the brush, so i eased up on the skiddin line (keep in mind the skyline is up and dogged in as they didn't have enough brakes to hold the line and carriage up, let alone with a "pretty good sized one" on the chokers) until i see the brush start to move. then after the Maki carriage had disappeared into the brush pile came the hup hoe on the talkie tooter, being the good yarder engineer i am i wound the old 4-71 up and away we went! ointhead at this point i see what appears to be the better part of a 20,000 sq ft house firmly locked into the carriage coming out from behind the old growth stump we found to use as a tail-hold for the skyline. since its coming from the back side of the draw it is now moving downhill on its own and since this is a shotgun show there's no stopping it till it gets to the belly of MY skyline. first thought: lower the skyline NOW problem: not enough power or friction to raise the skyline enough to release the dog. second thought: which of the 3 major components (skyline or 1 of 2 guylines) of this problem are going to fail (note i said going to fail not might fail). During the course of these 2 thoughts the 20000 sf house i mentioned earlier is traveling at somewhere between the speed of sound and the speed of light towards the belly of MY skyline!!!!! It was at this point the question of component failure was answered, the operator's side guy line had parted and the old SJ-4 was going over.:slomo i saw most of this on my way to the ground, having waited long enough (the length of time it takes to figure out if you don't move you are going to die!) to figure out which way to run when you hit the nice soft ground, it was about then i remembered the "good sized" mud puddle (anywhere else in the world billy bob and bubba would have been looking for a place to launch there bass boat in this particular "good sized" puddle) i was heading for, i suddenly thought meabe i should have ridden the yarder down. i don't know how they were going the explain to OSHA a drowning on the landing . but all worked out well (the chaser held my head above water until the riggin crew got there to get me unstuck from the mud.:drinkup all kidding aside there are things that will remain forever etched in our memories, that happened 40+ years ago and to this day it is still a vivid memory (along with a bunch more), but i guess those memories help keep us alive the next time around.

  27. #27DBDLS2010-04-12 01:26

    A couple of pictures for trakloader of GY3 after it fell off the lowbed. This happened twice to this machine that I know of. I wonder how many grapple yarders and logloaders have fallen off various lowbeds? It always looked to me like a somewhat precarious perch up there at the best of times.

  28. #28trakloader2010-04-12 02:16

    Thanks! After seeing the haywire old lowbed E&A were running, I'm surprised the bloody yarder didn't fall off every time they moved it!

  29. #29Murk1002010-04-14 01:46

    Oh dear. And no the yarder never did it, inexperenced hook.. like me on the scanner

  30. #30trakloader2010-04-14 02:03

    Ha! I've seen backspars like that before, only one that was totally destroyed, though.

  31. #31Murk1002010-04-14 02:28

    Didn't no were to put this one, either here or the new thread M&B red and white. and yes the Yarder did it!!!

  32. #32Murk1002010-04-19 19:07

    Found this in my collection, scary stuff runaway. Madill 123

  33. #33JeremyM702010-04-19 20:35

    I think this one was owned up to on a certain "reality" TV show wasn't it?

  34. #34Murk1002010-05-02 01:34

    Scotia Creek 144 fall off lowbed

  35. #35Murk1002010-05-02 01:42

    Another 144 almost new, Caycuse I believe Lake Cowichan area

  36. #36Contract Logger2010-05-02 02:39

    These were just sent to me by a friend yesterday. Gold River area, Cypress 7230R. Owner unknown. I asked, but he wouldnt say, given my new 'posting habit'. Thanks Keith.

  37. #37Murk1002010-05-02 03:05

    Here's a Cat 235 that was hooked up to a 144, a side pull jerked it over sideways rolled 3 times.

  38. #38Murk1002010-05-02 13:17

    Truck driver bailed out watched her go over the bank: good call I would think..

  39. #39EZ TRBO2010-05-02 15:22

    Some amazing photos, no wonder logging is one of the top 10 most dangerous professions in the usa, if not the world. Thanks guys for sharing. Trbo

  40. #40DBDLS2010-05-02 16:42

    The Death of the 1464 Trakloader or Murk100: I haven't figured out how to get YouTube stuff onto this site so I've got a project for either of you. Go to YouTube and search for: 'The Death of the 1464' and see if you can get it on this site. This is an excellent video of a Madill 4800 on fire. Kind of makes you think twice about juicers versus line winders. This gentleman has some other excellent and funny logging videos well worth linking up to. Thanks gentlemen.

  41. #41Lee-online2010-05-02 19:47

    YouTube - The Death Of The 1464

  42. #42RANDY ROME2010-05-02 21:24

    An bad day for these boys

  43. #43CATD7R2010-05-03 12:51

    Crazy photos

  44. #44trakloader2010-05-03 16:38

    Sure lots of juicers that ended their days like that. Line machines used to catch fire sometimes, too, but most of them were up and running again within a month. The newer ones were another matter, though, with the hydraulic carrier and swing. They burn almost as bad as juicers.

  45. #45HDX2010-05-04 23:30

    Murk100 That P16 was from Massachie Lake I think Pacific Logging or something I remember the driver (Norm I think ) they would haul different contractors equipment for them Use to see Norm from time to time then he retired and H140 kind of dissapeared

  46. #46Murk1002010-05-04 23:50

    I'm not sure of the history on this Truck, this pic is from a buddy I'll ask him I remember when I worked for PCB at Franklin they bought 2 or 3 new Pacifics around 1985 this may have been one of them..:beatsme

  47. #47adr022010-05-05 01:48

    This was somewhere in Alberta, the guy lived if I remember right. He was talking on his cell phone and ran into the slow moving hook truck.

  48. #48adr022010-05-05 01:50

    two more...

  49. #49Hillbillybjopkr2010-07-04 19:37

    I wish I had pictures. But I ended up really lucky 2 winters ago. We were workin in this area called Grass Lake in like December/January. We were movin the equipment out to get them loaded up on the truck and sent to the yard. One of my boss's started walkin the Timbco out and I was following along behind in my delimber. We came upon about a 300 yard section of the road that went down hill with a outslope....covered in about 2 inches of ice. The Timbco was just truckin along...had great traction. So i started down behind. Way diffrent....spent the first 150 yards tryin to crawl up the bank to stay on the road. I hit this one section were i started slidin really bad and well....there was nothing I could do. Over a 25' bank I went and rolled on my top. luckly i pushed over a 6' snow berm that acted like a cushion and I went over. I'm in a wad on the top of my cab tryin to reach up to hit the key. Actually had to use the emergency hatch to get out. took us all day to get her back on her tracks. That night my boss bought me a bottle of Jim and some Icy hot lol

  50. #50Kiwi Logger2010-07-07 18:48

    171 Pics Not too sure how this happen I guess it had something to do with stumps!!! A friend sent me the pics and said he was up and going within a week no damage to the tower just a new stabilizing frame, there was more damage to the shovel and I guess the Yarder and shovel operators pants!!!!.

  51. #51Logman2010-07-23 13:50

    Walked Away One of our trucks rolled over a couple of months ago. The driver was lucky as he only had a few scratches....

  52. #52Taylortractornu2010-08-21 21:25

    I cant imagine someof these accidents. When I slid the D5B at work off the lowboy a couple years ago Was bad enough. That pickup on the logs reminded me earlier this year we had a former County Supervisor That had his legs removed from diatbetes. He drove a regular van by using a cane to run the pedals. A truck with a 16 foot overhang of pulp poles was stopped for a turn off when he hit them. It was the worst wreck Ive ever seen.

  53. #53NZ BUSH DR2010-09-12 08:29

    Checking under carriage Another 171 with bent stabilizer bar. Had this one going in a day & a half, all good apart from young operator who was constantly calling me saying it didnt feel right. He was back to normal after three days. ointhead

  54. #54Contract Logger2010-09-12 11:24

    Only one Madill 171 was built on Self-Propelled Rubber, and this is her! Sold new to Kelly Brothers (on the Southern Oregon Coast) around 1988/89, then in 2001 I ran into it working at Vail Washington for Weyerhaeuser there up the Skookumchuck River. Hear it went overseas shortly after. When did you aquire her, and can you post a bunch of pics in the Madill thread, I'd sure like to see pics of here nowdays!

  55. #55TorkelH2010-09-13 15:34

    171r Have you seen the nice picture of your yarder here: (far down) ?? Seems to be a nice machine, post more pics when you have the oportunity!

  56. #56NZ BUSH DR2010-09-14 08:58

    One of my customers Montana Logging owns this wonderful machine. They bought it from another company here in NZ that were responsible for bringing it in. They have owned it now for approx 4 or 5 years. I will now post some more photos in Madill thread.

  57. #57NZ BUSH DR2010-09-14 09:03

    Yes I have seen that picture. I took a copy to owner recently to show how it looked when new. Unfortunatley it is a little worse for wear at moment after this incident(mainly panel damage). It still operates fine though.

  58. #58Murk1002010-11-29 23:14

    Madill 143 My bud gave me some more pics. This baby hadn't even yarded a log yet around 1988 M&B Kennedy Lake Div. road crapped out.........

  59. #59Murk1002010-11-29 23:28

    M&b More disasters Kennedy Lake...

  60. #60Murk1002010-11-29 23:31

    Madill 120 broke one of her guylines, somewhere on south Van Isle

  61. #61JDOFMEMI2010-11-30 00:43

    So now I have to ask, what in the world is the ???? on the top of the boom on the sunken Hitachi?

  62. #62spitzair2010-11-30 00:53

    I believe, and I could be wrong of course, that you're looking at a backspar setup. What some outfits did is instead of hooking the skylines and such from the yarder to a stationary object like a stump or a tree, they hooked it to an excavator and thus were able to reposition the back spar to reach the next bunch of logs very easily without having to tear all the rigging down, move it over, set it all up again, yard some logs, repeat... With this thing you simply fired up the excavator, moved it say 100 feet, put the bucket down again and you're logging again in a matter of minutes. Hope this helps.

  63. #63JDOFMEMI2010-11-30 01:21

    I learn something new every day. Sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks

  64. #64mitch5042010-11-30 02:13

    There is a highline swamplogger here who uses an old Bucyrus-Erie 350H hydraulic excavator (105,000 lbs) for that purpose. Around here whatever holds the tail of the highline is called a "tail hold" but a lot of the same fellows who think they cut "pup wood" call it a tail-hole.

  65. #65tyyota2010-11-30 21:03

    Story is lowbed lost its trailer brakes. Last corner on the grade. If he could have held on through this one he would have made it to the bottom safe and sound. Thats why they don't chain these machines down eh!

  66. #66Ryan Rønning2010-12-23 03:48

    There are some crazy pictures in this thread. Hope to see more posted.

  67. #67Jumbo2010-12-23 19:37

    Since I never carried a camera in the 70’s, there are no photos. But I gotta ask, how often on a swing yarder with a tail cat did people tip the tail cat over as they were changing the road? At Weyerhaeuser Snoqualmie, it seemed like it was a monthly occurrence down in the alder patches. I have heard that Longview apparently did it regularly also. Another experience I was able to avoid, I was hooking on a cat and we needed to move a 30B down to where the transport could take it to the shop for a re-build. Cat skinner wanted me to run the Cat I said NO THANKS! The way they did it was to put the blade of a D8 up against the front of those old flat pads and back down the hill. Theory being that if the shovel got away it would run into the blade forcing it down into the grade and stop. This time it did not work that way, there was too much ice and compact snow, it was quite the ride. Thank God, I was on foot watching. The only other wreck I saw was moving a 38B out the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie, the road was the old Northbend Timber RR mainline with a rock face about a half mile from good road. We had a contract lowboy hauling it and he got in a hurry sniffing out the decent road just ahead. He came around that face and hooked it with the boom. There it sat, hanging over the river just balanced. We hung rigging for a day or so, packing those 16” Ropemaster tail blocks up that rock face. Finally, with everything set, we used the haulback of the yarder and the drum line on the side cat and sucked her right back up onto the road, trailer and all, Slicker 'n cow slobbers. Stripping the rigging was easy, gravity was on our side.

  68. #68BDFT2010-12-23 20:47

    I pulled a D8 off a backspar trail with a 78-40 once. Yarding downhill and couldn't see the Cat. The haulback kept going slack and I kept sucking it up and pretty soon it all went slack and the yelling started. That took two hoes and another Cat to sort out.

  69. #69jackd2010-12-23 22:32

    I spent a year working as a Landing Man on a Madill 044 Grapple Yarder - back in the late '70s. We used to use an old D9 Cat with a a tail spar pipe on it - the thing had worn out tracks. I used to take turns with the Hooker and move that thing. No one had any training. I remember the trickiest times were when we would be up in the rocks up above the Yarder and it came to changing roads. Lots of times the D9 would be sideways to the Yarder and we would ask the operator to tighten the lines to clear them. I saw that thing bugger off sideways more than a few times but it never went too far. The Yarder Operator was a bit of an animal but he always seemed to have the sense to not pull too hard and drag the Cat off the rocks. There were several of these Cats operating in our Division and I never heard of one going over. Lots of fun back then.

  70. #70oldtanker2010-12-23 23:15

    Guess you loggers are keeping Fruit Of The Loom in business! Rick

  71. #71furpo2010-12-25 14:20

    mobile tails The mobile tails only really move if they are not dug in properly. Get the machine behind a big stump or the blade/bucket in the ground and they take a lot of pulling. You soon learn how much interlock pressure a given tailhold can handle so you just keep an eye on it if you are getting up there. It is good practice to put the machine somewhere that if it does move its not going to do any harm. Not always possible though. The yarder operator has to think about these things when cranking back on the regus.

  72. #72BDFT2010-12-25 22:29

    Good advice. I worked with an backspar mounted on an old excavator that would slowly creep ahead if it wasn't parked at the right angle. One day the boss left a brand new chainsaw under the front of the tracks. When we finished the road the hoe was parked on top of the saw.

  73. #73Born2clearcut2011-01-15 11:58

    I was watching this truck pull out of the landing he made it to first corner and trailer got sucked off the side and rolled over . It was a new driver to the company (andy byrnes trucking ) when i got their he was hangin upside down and all he would say was " hope i don't get fired for this " he was ok not a mark on him . We flipped it back on to it wheels , put a 1/2 gallon of oil in it , loaded it back up and off he went .

  74. #74J&R_INC.2011-01-15 17:53

    322 rollover Stacking slash and fell over.In the first photo the operator is in the yellow shirt. I can't see that well but I think his pants are "BROWN"

  75. #75JTL2011-01-19 02:17

    A friend sent me this one the other day from his job. Operator found a high stump.

  76. #76RonG2011-01-19 04:00

    Time to grease them U joints!!!.LOL.I hope he wasn't hurt from flying debris. Ron G

  77. #77JTL2011-01-19 20:09

    The same friend has sent me a couple more that I found in the archives. Seems them Johnny Popper skidders like to be on thier side's!

  78. #78John C.2011-01-20 01:06

    I think the pin ball of an operator caused the machine to go tilt. Might be he needs a little more finesse on the flappers

  79. #79Jdigger41302011-01-20 23:00

    That is A hilarious telling of A great story man.. I am laughing at loud! Somewhere between the speed of light AND sound... CLASSIC! I am poaching that one!

  80. #80MOUNTAIN MAN2011-01-22 15:08

    Hi, this was probably outside Grande Prairie on hwy 40, looks like a Risley truck, or even a Murtron truck, if it is on hwy 40, then it's further than the Can-For road into Grande Prairie. Thanks for the post.

  81. #81Born2clearcut2011-01-26 01:49

    This one the guy did walk away but he should have put on the brake first tho. It rolled backwards down the road and off the corner went about 300 feet through a setting and did a back flip through the tree line ( you can see the hole in tree line it made above it ) took out about 6 standing trees and landed on it wheels where it sits .No major damage had too pioneer a road down too it to get it out. Machine is a 668 CLARK it was a damn fine skidder. It i think it got more time as a tow truck towing loaded off hiways up the adverse's in Narrows Inlet

  82. #8272HDX2011-01-27 19:50

    This is one I swam away from The barge was loaded when it happened. It was 2 in the morning and I was spining my tracks in place to bring them parallel to the side of the barge. I guess the one set was at the edge, and since the other set was still in the air and the counter weight was hanging over the back, the track was touching on the metal edge and it slide over backwards into the drink. It happened in about 5 seconds.

  83. #832stickbill2011-01-27 21:17

    So Link Belt makes an under water Yarder.Great for getting the sunk logs out.Whats all the Brown stuff in the seat?

  84. #84Murk1002011-01-28 02:30

    You were lucky to get otta this pickle, I know a guy that loaded a timberjack on a equipent barge and drove it right of the the stern into 60 ft of water at night, luckly the deckhans held their flash lights over the stern so he could see the light and swim for it. he was OK I know and have herd of people that were not so lucky one was driving a hyab truck up the ramp from the dock and the wooden stringer broke rolling the truck into the water where he drowned. Another one loading a barge with a Madill 3800 slide off the ramp landed in the ocean traping him in the cab, I believe it was in 6 ft of water. Sad stuff be care full out there

  85. #85Greatwestcam2011-01-29 00:16

    Here's one where the drive line broke on a steep hill side, the rock bank wouldnt allow him to ditch it so he bailed out. truck went 200 feet down off the road clearing its own path, ending up standing on its nose still running, half covered by the load. trailer stayed up on the road some how with the compensator still pinned on. the driver had to climb down to it to call for help and a roll of toilet paper! climbing back to the road he wrenched his knee. the gapple yarder and loader finally pulled it out and it went to town and was all rebulit. 1971 Pacific P-16, Powell Daniels Cont.

  86. #86skadill2011-03-05 23:53

    Slippery Slope for a Samsung 2001, Coastal B.C. shared photo,wont say names.Well known Co. The Barge pic is what the machine looked like before

  87. #87JTL2011-03-06 00:18

    ^^^ Did his road crap out from under him? Not fun. Here's what happens when the guy you work for, thinks that ice grousers cost WAY to much. The same buddy that sent me all the flipped J.D. skidders sent me this one. Those guys spend more time upside down then the do logging it seems. But when you hire the Jimmy Smith's of North Idaho, what do you expect?

  88. #88Born2clearcut2011-03-08 13:40

    Hers a few pictures a buddy sent me he was pioneering a road in and slipped off the rock

  89. #89dirty4fun2011-03-08 20:05

    Great pictures , gives me a headache thinking how much it would cost to get them right side down again. Then decide if it was scrap or fixable. Thanks for sharing!

  90. #90Born2clearcut2011-03-23 09:27

    Far as i know their was very little damage to the Hitachi on post #89 .. Here's a couple older pic's of truck crash ,far as i know everyone walked away. The trucks have wooden reaches and think they call chesse blocks for stakes ?. Also if someone could tell me what type of truck that is ?

  91. #91jrtraderny2011-03-23 09:55

    It really sucks when they land on the door.................

  92. #92Hayesno12011-03-23 12:03

    Yes they called them cheese blocks. Truck on right side is a Hayes from the 40's. Truck on left might be a Hayes as well but I cant tell for sure.

  93. #93Born2clearcut2011-04-10 10:01

    thanks for the info Hayesno1

  94. #94lg junior2011-04-10 22:25

    why yarding off one guyline doesnt work.

  95. #95lg junior2011-04-10 22:37
  96. #96Kiwi Logger2011-06-07 17:27

    I just found these in an old e-mail, here is part of the official report!!! Very lucky people .What happened. An idiot driving a Ford Telstar TX5 was travelling at what appears to be excessive speed ran up the rear of Truck 521. Two overhanging stems passed through the windscreen and out the rear window, missing the three occupants of the car. The car travelled 7 meters up the logs before hitting the rear bumper of the truck with such force that the car was jammed under the bumper and suspended off the ground by the two logs. The occupants of the car jumped out onto the road. The driver of 521 was unaware of the incident and continued on his journey along Goudies road for 2.8 kms and down Pukapuka Road for a further 3.4Kms.Truck 655 RFH stems unit was travelling up Pukapuka empty. 521 slowed to pass. In doing so the dust reduced to the stage where Bill saw a part of the car's front bumper in his rear vision mirror. He asked Jimmy (on R/T) what was behind him. Jimmy advise a car was hanging off the stems unit. On inspection the found no passengers in the car. Bill left the truck and went with Jimmy to locate the driver etc. They found them on the side of the road near to the scene of the collision on Goudies Rd. (The ambulance and police arrived)

  97. #97jr-transport2011-06-07 18:01

    Here is my brother's wreck about a year ago. Driver of a delivery truck pulled out about 150 feet infront of him. my brother was fine, the other driver had a concussion and some minor injuries. Other guy was awful lucky to be alive, my brother hit him square on the door so hard that it lifted the steers of the delivery truck right off the ground and threw him into the ditch facing 180 degrees from when he was hit. both pretty lucky.

  98. #98Haddy2011-06-08 03:11

    Hey Kiwi Logger . As soon as I started looking at the other photos I remembered about the very accident you posted . Don't know whether it's true or not but the story going round at the time was that there was a big bag of dope involved ! Haddy . PS Was a few years ago now

  99. #990752011-08-19 23:38

    Front sling broke when load was 10 feet over truck. No damage to truck what so ever. Happened again one week later at other dump same thing ,broke trailer stake this time.Knobs were not babbited properly and they pulled.

  100. #100edward.c.lawton2011-09-08 01:46

    Anyone remember the head on between a Euclid and a Mack on afognack way back when?

  101. #101Bagswa512011-10-07 14:24

    1976; Pyramid Logging from Monroe, WA. Yarder pulled a tail holt and tipped over in the Green River water shed. Marv Flickner the engineer and Greg Martin the hook. Took a few weeks to get back logging. No injuries! Was something to watch it go.......Marv jumped quick!!!!

  102. #102Mike Hill2011-11-20 04:57

    I was Hook Tending for a Madill 171 in New Zealand ten years ago.The tailhold was a bit sketchy and after a few turns a big "Whip" went though the Skyline.I thought the Dozer had pulled free,then a machine operator came down the hill (highly unusual) and asked us if we were ok. Turns out the Hauler had tipped over.The foreman had only connected one of the two Ropes from a dead man anchor and when the weight came on that guy line over went the Hauler.It had tipped up on its nose,turned and then fallen.No damage to the Machine but the driver had "Sheppards Pie" in his pants.

  103. #103lg junior2011-11-20 13:28
  104. #104lg junior2011-11-20 13:31
  105. #105Born2clearcut2012-01-05 11:42

    Stuck Here's the story i got . Mt Washington area on Vancouver Island . Apparently couple of teenagers decided to go for a joy ride, it's Alliford Bays 330 cat that had a processor head on it , They apparently beat the head off in the tree line somewhere and continued out into the swamp with hoses spraying hydraulic fluid everywhere ( i'm sure they didn't stop to plug hoses after they beat the head off ) and got stuck , the area where the machine got stuck was underwater at the time , they had to wait for the water level to drop so they could get out to it which took a month or so. They use crushed cars for punchin to get it out . The guys that got it out took the stick off to make it easier to get out. The teenagers were caught

  106. #106Jdigger41302012-01-05 18:15

    WOW!!!! THAT CANT BE CHEAP! I hate vandals man...

  107. #107Ryan Rønning2012-01-06 14:17

    What happened to them.

  108. #108Born2clearcut2012-01-07 09:46

    Havn't heard anything about what happen to them Ryan . I know if it was one of my kids ,he be wishing he was in jail

  109. #109MikeKB2012-01-09 03:42

    Knowing the Canadian legal system, with no previous criminal record, they would get a conditional discharge with community hours served and write an apology letter to the owner. If they had a history they would still get f%k all for punishment. Murders don't even get real jail time so if someone destroys your property...No big deal.

  110. #110Phill2012-01-09 15:14

    well i worked with a guy who at 15 wrote off a benz 10 years later he is still paying off the damages to the owner with interest...

  111. #111BDFT2012-01-20 22:35

    This clown rolled over just before Christmas. I had just loaded him and he took off like the devil himself was after him. Then I heard on the radio "Uhhh, can you bring the loader down to the stamp hammer." This self proclaimed "Ice Road Trucker" couldn't even make it off the block with his very first load. Had to unload the truck and send him to town empty. His trailer was bent and broken. He never came back.

  112. #112JTL2012-01-21 10:51

    Thats funny! At least he made more than 20 feet from the loader. About 6 years ago, I was working for my buddy and his grandpa building new logging road. I was loading out right-of-way logs one morning, and had close to 20 trucks there that morning to slam out. (4 hour R.T. to the mill). I loaded out 5 trucks on one deck, 6 on the next a couple hundrend yards down the road, and had moved another 500 feet down the road to another deck. I loaded out 3 trucks, on a corner that was about 45 feet wide, with a culvert under about 4 feet of fill on the outside. I had just put the finish on this section of road the day before with the cat, and made this corner extra wide for a log landing and turn around. It had only been compacted with the dozer, me and Matt's pickups, and the three trucks I had just loaded. Anyway, I loaded this guy, who was sitting pretty much dead center of the road. Told him on the radio to stay away from that right side of the road while loaded. Let the emptys have that side, loaded trucks take the inside to pass each other. I don't think he understood right from left and pulled over to the right side of the road to wrap up and let the empty truck in. I had just spun around to seperate some shortys when I caught a glimpse of chrome flying through the air. Looked over my left shoulder just in time to see his truck, trailer and compleate load of logs crash on his right side, with the culvert about 3 feet from the back of his truck. So I walked the loader back up to him, couldn't have been 100 feet. Got his logs out from beside him, we hooked some chains and wrappers up to him in about 6 places. Hooked him to the loader and an empty and flopped him right back into the road. Pulled him up outta the way, he cleaned his shorts out, readjusted his passenger side mirror, picked up his broken off stack, then backed under me for a load. I gave him a load of pulp, hue wood, tops and shortys just for being a jackwagon, after I loaded out the reamaining trucks. This guy had been hauling logs for over 30 years as on owner/operator, and had had very few mishaps. He was so embarased that he never came back.

  113. #113Modunkel2012-02-13 02:53

    60' from the loader just drove off the road. Funny how those guys don't keep a job. Another one of our trucks tipped over at a major intersection and made the front page of the paper. Great advertising lol.

  114. #1140752012-02-24 23:45

    This is the Cat stuck in post 106,It now is working on the North end of the Island .Runs pretty good except every time it goes through a mud puddle it shudders

  115. #115prolog nz2012-03-03 00:55

    got sent this pic from earlier in the week boom broke off bottom mounts and swung around taking out the cab

  116. #116TorkelH2012-03-11 11:55

    How did that work out for the operator, prolog?

  117. #117prolog nz2012-03-12 03:13

    definate change of underwear lol I was told he only recieved a few stitches an bruising apparently he was standing up in the cab when it happened and he went with it to the ground Someone from up that way might no the full story?

  118. #118123-122012-03-12 04:02

    Holy moly that gives me the ****s considering i am on a 123 like this myself,i will be giving those mounts a good look over in the morning!!!

  119. #119prolog nz2012-03-12 05:27

    Yeah keep plenty of grease in those bottom pins and watch for wear down there would be my thoughts. We linebored and repinned the bottom of ours a year or so ago when it started getting abit of excess play. I don't no the condition of the one that failed they may have been mint? but when you get play down there you get shock loading through the machine when you get on the brakes hard, swing etc. so it can't be doing those bottom mounts any good

  120. #120Born2clearcut2012-03-13 14:02

    Same thing happen on a 122 i was on a few years back , caught it before it tore right off . Had alot of issues with those light weight booms they are NFG ! Keep your eyes on them or they get ya ..

  121. #121jamesn2012-03-13 17:56

    ill bet they were walking bow legged with a load in their drawers

  122. #122jamesn2012-03-13 17:59

    somebody had a big load in thier underwear after some of these accidents

  123. #123jamesn2012-03-13 18:18

    what is all that brown steamy stuff in their pants???

  124. #124winterax2012-03-13 23:11

    Sphincter, don't fail me now!

  125. #125123-122012-03-14 01:24

    Anyone know whos yarder this is?makes no real difference whos it is it just looks quite familiar to me

  126. #126jamesn2012-03-15 19:28

    wonder if some of those people had grip marks on the sides of their seats??

  127. #127Scott S2012-03-15 21:54

    This one showed up in my email today, not sure where or whos...

  128. #128jamesn2012-03-15 21:56

    wow, whats the brownstain on the seat?

  129. #129furpo2012-03-16 04:01

    If it isn't the same one there was a BOP contractor who tipped their 171 over the back of a cat loader in a similar way to your photo Scott S

  130. #130Murk1002012-04-06 17:59

    American 7220 few years back..I don't know any details but the pics tell the story

  131. #1310752012-04-06 18:48

    Must have been grapple yarding without an guyline .Would have been one heck of a ride if it came from the top road.

  132. #132Murk1002012-04-06 20:45

    This happened in Port Hardy no idea when, a friend gave me these pics in camp.. 075 you may know more.

  133. #1330752012-04-06 23:12

    That's one I have never seen or heard about.Compared to to the 7220 that poor old Northwest took a beating. Pretty hard to pull it over, over the end of the tracks, must be good story there.

  134. #134LOGDODGER2012-04-07 05:31

    12307. On Madill thred post #687.

  135. #135ipalogger2012-04-30 20:14

    cooool

  136. #136ipalogger2012-04-30 20:16

    new member here

  137. #137JDOFMEMI2012-05-01 01:21

    Welcome ipalogger.

  138. #138Murk1002012-05-01 18:38

    few more pics same GY Lucky Lad

  139. #139jackd2012-05-01 19:49

    What let go - the bottom boom pins?

  140. #140BDFT2012-05-01 19:58

    Well, assuming he survived, I bet he's a little gun shy now. If you could even force him back in a yarder cab.

  141. #141Scott S2012-05-01 22:03

    I would really love to see a close up of the boom mounts, from the photos it looks as if the pins fell out.....

  142. #14230 B2012-05-01 22:12

    The seats on these machines need to mounted to the cab with a bottom instead of on the machine deck so the cab doesn't get drug over or through the operator sitting in the seat attached to the machine. Had an 071 that had a log pulled into the cab which pushed the control panel into the operators knees because he was firmly attached to the deck of the machine. Fortunately everything got stoped with just a few bruises. Doesn't look to good for the operator in these pictures.

  143. #143Murk1002012-05-01 22:48

    this is wny I posted these pics minor injurys thank goodness. I could zoom in on the originals and it looks to me like the top of the eyes pulled off, the pins are still in the boom..as far as I'm concerned Madill screwed up on the design of the cab mount. If I remember correctly there are only half a dozen 5/8 bolts holding the cab to the floor. I have seen at least 3 where the cab pushed in at the bottom and pushed the control panels together nearly crushing the operators legs.. Most off the Madill equipment prior to the 120 124 are like this.. just sayin

  144. #144jackd2012-05-01 23:47

    I heard a story once about a log loader operator at Sproat Lake Division, who picked up a **** pole with the grapples from the top end of the tree. When he picked up on his grapples the tree slid through and came right through the front window cab guard and stuck right into his seat back. I guess he dodged sideways or else the tree would have impaled him.

  145. #145furpo2012-05-02 03:52

    The previous operator on my machine put the head of a tree through the front gaurd and window. He had to duck to miss it. The front window is now margaurd. I put a branch through the side window which would of hurt if it hit me.

  146. #1460752012-05-02 22:46

    Many moons ago, I was pulling a six foot Fir up from the bottom side with a 599 American. Had Her standing on one track when the Young grapple slipped of the Fir and grabbed a **** pole and it came flying back into the bottom of the cab when the machine sat back down, went between my feet and hit the the seat post.What do you do now? Can not let go of it or it will come up and lift me off the seat. Go ahead on the haulback and skin it out is all you have left. Left a nice neat 8" hole in the bottom of the window and lots of PU on the seat.

  147. #147Murk1002012-07-04 10:39

    Another one bites the dust 12226, there was talk of rebuilding?

  148. #148boardbysled2012-07-04 21:06

    Pacific Rim Forestry out of NW Washington just lost one of their Madill 071's. Lost the brakes walking it down the logging road and it went over the edge into a clearcut, driver bailed before it went over the edge. Should have pics within the next week.

  149. #149diamondtguy2012-07-05 00:04

    My friend owns Hercules equip.Its always interesting to see where his trailers end up.Over the last 14 years I have built and assembled lots of stuff for Hercules.I am currently working on (3) three hundred ton fifth wheel assemblys for them......Cory

  150. #150John C.2012-07-05 19:17

    Here are couple of recent photos of someone's bad day. I'm told the insurance company is denying part of the cost of claim saying this is a manufacturer's defect. The machine has around 15,000 hours. Oops! I'll resize and post in a couple of minutes.

  151. #151John C.2012-07-05 19:39

    I'll try again.

  152. #152boardbysled2012-07-05 21:44

    Here is Pacific Rim Forestry's Madill 071.

  153. #153OldandWorn2012-07-06 07:03

    Now those are some tight hoses!

  154. #154BDFT2012-07-06 20:21

    I bet that trailer hit the ground hard and fast. I wouldn't have wanted to be in the cab. I ran a 300 Komatsu last winter with 18000 hours on it and you could feel the slop in the rotate bearing. The wild ride never came though.

  155. #155Jim19602012-07-06 22:25

    Looks like that 071 went quite a ways over the hill. Or is it an optical illusion?

  156. #156boardbysled2012-07-07 14:44

    Yep, you can see the road at the top of the ridgeline in one of the pictures. Rolled 3 or 4 times.

  157. #157Jim19602012-07-07 17:15

    Looks like it held up fairly well. I'd like to see the salvage operation. I remember an outfit I worked lost the tube of a Madill 056 over the hill. It was on a log truck and it couldn't make the switchback, the trailer came uncoupled and went over the hill about 600' We had to bring up another yarder and rig up a skyline setting to salvage the tube.

  158. #158furpo2012-07-08 02:45

    Has that 071 had an excavator undercarrage conversion done on it or is it a Terex model?

  159. #159boardbysled2012-07-08 15:15

    Its an 071 with a conversion I believe. This company had a few of them done; converting them from tank undercarriage. I have heard they use a Komatsu dozer undercarriage.

  160. #160boardbysled2012-07-25 00:37

    Here is a picture from a buddy that is logging in Southern Alaska.

  161. #161johnson2012-07-26 17:06

    I think pictures of this accident were already posted but here are some more pictures: I know the outfit but i will not post the name.The operator walked away unharmed and so was the machine just some windows broken.

  162. #162jdm2012-07-26 19:08

    That was a maintenance issue not a insurance issue.

  163. #163Scott S2012-08-06 20:55

    I hate Mondays... Nothing hurt but my pride.

  164. #164oregon96pd2012-08-06 21:58

    :Banghead where at in the rut are you from? i grew up in willimina/mcminnville.

  165. #165boardbysled2012-08-06 22:36

    Another one from a buddy in Alaska.

  166. #166johnson2012-08-07 04:05

    I think I recognize those loaders,is that a certain reality tv related outfit?

  167. #167boardbysled2012-08-07 12:51

    Negative, just some gyppo outfit.

  168. #168johnson2012-08-07 13:08

    Ok thanks for the info,but how many outfits are there in Alaska ,i use to think there was 3 but through all the information I received through Google,Manta and HEF I just lost count.

  169. #169boardbysled2012-08-07 19:34

    He works for an outfit called Evergreen Timber Company. From what he has told me they're mostly working in second growth on tribal and Forest Circus sales.

  170. #170johnson2012-08-08 04:40

    As long as they are logging it's all good,the way the greenies are up there I'm surprised they let them cut grass.There's plenty of second growth up there but all the big old growth's are going to waste and one day the old growth's are going be so rotten that they will just fall on the ground and won't be good for nothin' and that won't be that good for greenpiace (of s***) and those like them.

  171. #171johnson2012-08-17 15:17

    So that's where the Ax Men got the idea

  172. #172rayb2012-08-18 22:41

    This was the bridge across the Bridge River at Goldbridge in the mid 80's. Its sort of Forestry related, as i think the Cat was building roads for Ainsworth or Evans Products at the time.

  173. #173Birken Vogt2012-08-20 23:38

    Any more story on this one? Was it the only bridge in/out of there? Would it have held if they unloaded and walked the Cat across? Why was it unsafe? And how did they recover this mess?

  174. #174loggers son2013-01-14 04:59

    This one from today

  175. #175mitch5042013-01-14 22:36

    Boy I bet that woke up the operator when that stick fell over and jerked back toward him! Did you have to wire him bus fare from wherever he stopped running?

  176. #176loggers son2013-01-15 02:50

    The man was too scared to even open the door ....haha... the end of the stick was suspended over the top of the cab. He had a long wait while i tracked over to him with the shovel as well, and boy did i give him flack while he was in there ps he's the guy standing on the ground in the 1st and 2nd shot, his name is moose

  177. #177tugman2013-01-25 20:10

    Hello Boys; I put this image up on another thread, about John Deere ex., but I can see you need it here. This is at Doc Creek, Burke Channel here on the BC coast. If you have not seen any of my other thread stuff, I own a tug & barge now, and move all this stuff. This fellow was loading at the time. A slide came down and took him about 200 feet down hill, and he was unhurt.

  178. #178tugman2013-01-25 20:39

    Them Link Belts never were any good Quite sometime ago, I painted the edge rails on my barge ramp "fire engine red" for guys loading at night so they can better judge where they are at. I see a lot of other barges doing the same thing now. Not every one is used to going on and off that ramp. Actually I used to load logs with old Link Belt line machine. I'd like to tell one of those "Why are you still here stories?" I have no pictures of this...thankfully. I was just discussing on another thread about Madill towers, some stories of Port McNeill. I'm not going to name the operator who did this . However when you think about this, you may ruin your fruit of the loomes. This was an 009, that I had run. At the time, I was woods handyman and I was rigging backspars for 2 sides. On this particular machine, we had the back spar all rigged and finished the road we were logging. The riggin' crew needed an extention before we hooked up the strawline. The chaser took the chokers out of the butt rigging and hooked the extention on and sent it out. I was in the landing helping to hookup as I had the back end all ready. The rigging crew unhooked so the engineer was running the rigging in dry. I got up on the running board to move the strawline out of the way as the loader was loading logs and I wanted to make sure he didn't grab the strawline while men were working with it. Now I'm listening to the V12 right on the max, and I'm thinking when he's getting close to the tree, he'll slack off. The engineer is watching me, and he ran the butt rigging right into the fairlead, and broke the mainline. It cme down beside me WACK! like some big anaconda, but never hit me. I just stood there shaking for a minute, then I went and got in my pickup and left.....into the Dalewood pub and got me a big glass of crown royal and water. It was in the afternoon, almost quiting time. After a bit, in comes the engineer and woods foreman and sat down. I just said, don't even say anything.........there's nothing you can say. Do you think there are angels amoung us? You bet there is.

  179. #179skadill2013-01-26 01:45

    Hi,really enjoying your pics and stories here.I'm thinking their is a 'Dennis' in your family too further south down here?I wonder if this boom photo is to this machine you posted.Taken last year-Squamish.

  180. #180tugman2013-01-26 06:08

    Hi Skadill; Not quite sure what you mean about that boom. Maybe you are referring to the Deere in my picture. You know at the time I took it away I don't remember where I put it off. Reason being, (at the time it was still Weyerhauser at Doc Creek). Olympic Forest Products was the contractor at the time. Some of that stuff I put off in Port McNeill, and most of it at Stillwater. It was about 6 years ago so my feeble old mind doesn't remember every thing. There is no Dennis in our family. Thank you for your reply.

  181. #181Glenlivet2013-02-03 18:33

    A very astute observation 30 B. In 1987 a runaway log from the topeide knocked the cab off a 90 foot Madill at my place of work, killing the operator. The seat could still be seen standing alone on the top platform. Had it been attached to the cab instead of the floor plate making up the Wichita cabinet perhaps the outcome might have been more favorable. You are right, a separate and more solid seat mount isolated from the cab makes that cab into a huge cheese grater for its contents, in the event of a big impact.

  182. #182skadill2013-02-04 20:43

    Good Reminder Found this on the web.An old Safety photo.

  183. #183Jumbo2013-02-04 20:57

    And note the bent wheel in the foreground. DOT would have a herd of cows with that....

  184. #184chroniekon2013-02-05 12:47

    Here's a link to some pictures of another Log truck tie down no-no about hooking an overhead power line. http://www.forwardon.com/view.php?e=Id12078a5219191c17

  185. #185skadill2013-02-05 13:33

    Wow,that's a different one!.That guy must be a one man logging crew himself to have been to have winged that wrapper up that high as normal daily routine.I've thrown hundreds and they don't go star magnet like that(but I'm just a regular sized person)

  186. #186loggers son2013-02-07 03:31

    + 1 to that thats some impressive height he's got there

  187. #187mitch5042013-02-07 20:50

    I always wish there was more about South Carolina logging on HEF, so you guys give me us throwing a cable over a powerline? Oh well, my grandmother used to tell me to be careful what I wished for. :beatsme

  188. #188Redwood Climber2013-02-07 21:07

    South Carolina Logging YES! Mitch504 I'd like to see more South Carolina logging too and New Mexico, and Maine, and Austrailia, and on and on........... You got any pictures? Feel free to share what you have, even if it's just memories in your mind, it's not just a west coast forum.

  189. #189Born2clearcut2013-03-31 11:43

    Not sure on the story on these pictures .Doesn't look like it rolled where the pictures was taken ,I see a guyline in picture 2 so maybe they towed it to the edge of the landing until they can get through ,Picture taken 1958

  190. #190MutsMachines2013-04-03 22:14

    found this online somewhere. to me it looks like it was parked when it happened. cant beleve a tree could do that much to a skidder but i do know how much trees way from watching my dad work in the bush my whole life.

  191. #191MutsMachines2013-04-09 22:19

    not forestry but used to lift,move and load wood so it should be ok. the company i work for has i think 7 of these liebherr 902 and 904 litronics with high rails added. we use them on track for handling ties. they are a very good machine except for dearailments. this is one of the worst ones iv seen but have had them pretty far off track myself and doing about 16-18mph when they fall off trust me is a scare you dont want. in this picture we could not get it back on because the clam kept sinking in the swamp. but after an hour our best opperator in the company got it back on thank god he was there that day.

  192. #192BDFT2013-04-10 10:30

    That happened right up the road here in northern BC. If that isn't a picture of the skidder then it was one just like it. The 748 was totaled with both rear end housing broken, the frame broken and of course, the cab was destroyed. The operator had his cage rattled pretty good but he was okay. I think the only major part that was salvageable was the engine. Cottonwoods are heavy.

  193. #193Taylor572013-09-12 15:37

    Born2clearcut, That was my Uncle Mal Taylor driving the Hayes on the right. This accident happened circa 1953 in the Renfrew area. I'll attach a few pics that I have. First pic is of him and the Hayes that could very well have been in the crash. It's hard to tell because I can't make out the truck number in the accident photos. The second pic is of the accident with him on the right. The third pic is of him in front of the wreaked Hayes.

  194. #194Hallback2013-09-12 17:44

    Wouldn't be A-1 would it...??? lol

  195. #195Taylor572013-09-13 00:08

    Hallback, No it wouldn't. Considering the extensive damage and it was a head on collision it's a wonder the load never came through the cab. Maybe something to say in praise of Hayes trucks, even back then. Actually, in the days before radio, this probably happened all the time, there just wasn't always a photographer there to record it. I seem to remember my Dad George Taylor (2 years younger than Mal and also a logging truck driver) telling me that Uncle Mal did get fired for this accident.

  196. #196cutting edge2013-09-13 00:42

    that was out of Houston wasn't it?

  197. #197camptramp2013-09-29 18:16

    I don't think that lowbed was either Caycues or Pacific at Masachie lake The truck has a single exghaust and is orange, Caycuse had all V12-71 with two exghuasts in their lowbed trucks and Pacifics lowbed truck was painted blue.

  198. #198camptramp2013-09-29 18:37

    Taylor57 Don Wilson lived at Harris Cr. started to work there in 1954 wasn't long after that he went driving logging truck I'll see if I can get him to check the wet sight and see if he knows anything about it.

  199. #199glenlunberg2013-09-29 21:47

    Too bad with that truck.

  200. #200camptramp2013-09-29 23:33

    BCFP Renfrew Div. 1981 An oprerater from another short yarder was breaking in on a Madill grapple yarder the story goes he was using to much haulback brake broke the single guyline didn' t let go of the friction quick enough

  201. #201Dave Hadden2013-10-01 00:18

    I recall that one. I seem to recall the Woods Foreman spent all morning watching the operator but left to check his other sides and then the accident happened. One of the Finnish fellows wasn't it? Woods Foreman was Wally P?? New machine too and I seem to recall about $100,000.00 worth of damage done to the boom. The next year the whole division was shut down in September and everyone went home. Reaganomics. Best winter of surfing I ever had as it was an El Nino year with lots of surf. Also, after seeing the pics of the old speeders on tracks I should mention that after old Joe Weekes retired and I took over the warehouse at Renfrew I swamped out a lot of old useless parts stashed away and ended up donating some railway related bits and pieces to the Sooke Historical Museum in Sooke. I used to get an invitation every year to their big fundraiser event day because I was a "donor". Loving all your stuff still. Thanks for sharing it. Take care.

  202. #202camptramp2013-10-01 09:48

    Surfer you just kick started my memory ,it must have happened in 1982 thats the year we pulled in all the equipment to Renfrew camp ,cleaned out the DLS . The #16-15 7220 American log loader #6-253 HDX Hayes preloader #6-257 P16 Pacific log trucks arrived from Silver R. Faller Don Hughs was driving the #6-253 ,I had the #6-222 he was a head of me leaving Renfrew DLS he wouldn't let me by so I lined him up at the Lens Cr. Junction and passed him going up the hill . We held the Fall Nationals in the HDX class I won. The grapple yarder was around 5 or 6 years old the forman was Wally Packalak or something like that. Check BCFP sight got pictures of yard full of equipment.

  203. #203Bobus2013-10-01 18:55

    Happened a Few Years back to a Friend. Was Fully loaded as was hit head-on on the Highway tipping the Semi over in the Ditch.

  204. #204camptramp2013-10-01 19:49

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-239 HDX Hayes, driver tried to make exstra trip on a tank of water , ran out of water for brakes about haft mile from Caycues DLS . Loaded down hill to Caycuse DLS on Caycuse hook up road ( hooks Gordon R. M/L to Caycuse DLS) Truck got away from driver under switch back and he tried to ride it out .The #6-239 had been rebuilt within a year prior this incident.

  205. #205camptramp2013-10-01 19:52

    BCFP Renfrew Div. 1980 #6-239 at Caycuse shop

  206. #206camptramp2013-10-01 19:56

    BCFP Renfrew Div. 1980 #6-239 HDX Hayes Back home at Renfrew Div. shop for another rebuild

  207. #207Dave Hadden2013-10-01 21:25

    For some reason I thought the grapple yarder that was pulled over was new from Madill. And it was Wally Pakulak who watched the operator all morning then left after lunch. Can't recall for sure which Finnish guy was the operator (Olie Virtanen??) and I heard he slabbed off the back guyline stump when he shifted to LOW under a heavy pull which caused the machine to slowly tip over forward. And given the company had made a big profit in 1979 and invested heavily thereafter I thought that Madill was new ............but maybe just new to us. As to the following shutdown in 1982, I'm thinking I was sent home in September (start of surf season) with the idea we didn't really know when we'd open up again in the new year. That's about when I bought Don William's old place in Renfrew. Great that it had a sauna in it so I'd flash it up, go surfing then come home to a hot sauna. That winter the surf got so big at Renfrew it uncovered the old remnants of the wharf they used when they made up those Davis rafts of logs over near the mouth of the Gordon. I recall one of the old guys (Fire Warden, can't recall name) told me it had been 28 years since he'd seen that. Turned out we went back to work earlier in '83 than we expected and then I got bumped off the next year in October......'84. End of an era for me. Take care.

  208. #208camptramp2013-10-01 22:16

    Surfer your right it was Olie , Olie had lots of expirence running machine , but had spent a long time on the #319 a Washington Trakloader TL15 with the original factory controls . Which are a lot different from any other loader or grapple yarder and when things go wrong and your used to the machine your running ,it can be the difference between a close call and a disaster. Renfrew was a camp that had a lot of different controls in their loaders .they had 4 old Northwests converted to log loaders 2 model 6s were close but the other 2 were completly different they had 4 washingtons 2 the same 2 different . I take my hat of to Roy Johnson he could get on any of them and run them well as camp handyman.

  209. #209camptramp2013-10-02 00:39

    BCFP Renfrew Div. the early 1980's

  210. #210camptramp2013-10-02 22:26

    BCFP Nekite R. 1979 #221 WHD Hayes I was loaded down the Nekite M/L at around 4 or 5 mile ,I had just passed through a rock cut 20 to 30 ft. high on right sided and about the same down to the river on the left side . The vally spreads out as you leave the rock cut an up hillslop to the right, kind of a swamp down to the river on the left . Its a fairly staight down hill peice of road ahead of you , could really get a truck wound up if the road wasn't so rough. All was going well until the truck started wandering to the left , turned steering wheel to right nothing happened ,turn the wheel somemore suddenly the truck shot across the road to the right . All hell broke loose into the ditch chunks coming over the cab ,coming to a sudden stop .Got out of the truck started to look around ,the problem was pretty obvious a piece of the tie rod was sticking out . There was fresh medal about the size of a dime the rest was all rusty. The truck had been Wrecked at Narrows Inlet somebody had over heated the tie rod straightening it out ,the medal was crystallized.

  211. #211camptramp2013-10-03 09:40

    BCFP Renfrew Div. # 16-14 American 5720 Harris Cr. M/L between spur 12 and Hillcrest Gate loader got close to guard rail crossing bridge cross timbers were past prime ,broke off loader ended up in creek bed . Other picture shows Washington TL15's #95 #319 getting ready to lift #16-14 out of creek bed.

  212. #212Born2clearcut2013-10-03 11:07

    Thats a lucky truck most trucks that were wrecked in Narrows Inlet never moved again . Very steep country . One time we got a driver from Clowhom falls (Weldwood at that time ) he took the truck up to the landing to get a load, when he got too the landing he got out of the truck and said he's not taking it back down with a load on. He said our flat ground was their steep ground . He waited until the end of the day to get ride down with the crew , loader operator had to bring the truck down .

  213. #213camptramp2013-10-03 11:49

    Born2clearcut I've had a couple of disasters of my own doing I plead guilty to .But some of my worst disaters or close calls involved taking over someone else's truck for a trip or for a day or picking up a preload trailer, someone else had been using . One time I went out on relief to run a Northwest loader for Friel Lake Logging they had 2 HDX Hayes the hill was fairly steep with 5 or 6 swith backs one driver was long time employ . The other I took to be fairly new, I was watching his back axle on the trailer it was wearing badly . The next shift they called me back to drive that truck . I pulled 4 loads the first day but soon figuired out what was going on with the brakes . The retarter on the Alison wasn't working due to a bad foot valve front left drive had a leaking wheel seal oil on brakesdon't mix, never did figure out why the right front truck brake didn't work and he had backed off the back axle on the trailer to try to stop it from locking up so basicly he was running on 4 brakes.

  214. #214camptramp2013-10-12 00:02

    BCFP Renfrew Div. The #6-243 HDX Hayes was loaded on the Gordon R. sumit ,below the sumit is a left hand corner. As the#6-243 rounded the corner, a large Fir log that did not have proper lay rolled across the top of the load. The movement of the log laid the truck on its side . The bunks and stakes dug into the shoulder ot road or truck would have followed load into the gully.

  215. #215camptramp2013-10-12 00:04

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-243 Hayes on Gordon R. sumit.

  216. #216dirty4fun2013-10-12 04:46

    More great pictures, camptrap looks like the truck and trailer are defying gravity. The driver was very lucky that day!

  217. #217camptramp2013-10-12 10:16

    I climbed up on the truck ,I looked through the drivers side window ,couldn't see road or enbankment just the logs and creek below, through the passenger side window.

  218. #218camptramp2013-10-12 15:35

    Born2clearcut I remember a wrecked logging truck sitting on a flat car in the middle of Beach Camp in the 1950's just before the rail road shut down it was taken inside the old Locie shop and rebuilt. I can remember it leaving the shop for a test run. Bear Cr. used Kenworths the number looks like a 90 there was a #190 Kenworth at Renfrew in 1966 when I started there, it had 2 bunks on it, was used for hauling short chunks, not long after that it was made into the line horse. By looking at the hills in the distance I would say its on Allan Cr.

  219. #219camptramp2013-10-13 01:04

    Malloch & Moesley working for BCFP Renfrew Div.# 141 Pacific P16 Things can go really really wrong for a good driver . The pin in the funnel holding the reach to the truck , jumped out on rough roads several miles out of Masachie Lake on the off highway road between Masachie Lake and Honeymoon Bay . It crosses the Roberson R. as the truck turned the corner on to the bridge approach ,the end of reach came out of the funnel and tracked to the inside,going over the inside bank tipping over and flipping the truck off the bridge.

  220. #220Born2clearcut2013-10-13 09:03

    Yes it is #190 kenworth Al . I also have picture of a Hayes numbered 190

  221. #221HDX2013-10-13 11:57

    Born2clearcut Was the Hayes #190 by chance one of the "Heartshape grill " trucks Britain River division trucks were 168 169 170 171 172

  222. #222Born2clearcut2013-10-22 10:18

    I'll see if I can find it again HDX . I had a quick look for it but havn't come across it yet .

  223. #223Born2clearcut2013-10-22 10:26

    1967 Not sure what happen here , looks like they may have been snubbing the yarder down the hill with the line horse and had a run away . I really don't think they are trying to tow it out with the line horse. Maybe camptramp knows alittle more about it

  224. #224dirty4fun2013-10-22 19:54

    Sure looks like they have headed downhill now. It is amazing how fast thing happen when going wrong. looking forward to the rest of this story.

  225. #225camptramp2013-10-22 22:30

    Born2clearcut Looking at the picture it looks like its a View Spar . I don't remember anything like that happening to #690 View Spar at Renfrew , And your Grandfather was at Caycuse in those years so I would guess it happened at Caycuse which had two View Spars . If someone from Caycuse is checking out this site maybe they have more knowledge of what happened . I'll give Bob Norcross a call he'll know about it for sure .

  226. #226Vigilant2013-10-22 23:21

    Was it common practice to move something as heavy as a yarder with that much snow on the ground?

  227. #227jackd2013-10-23 07:23

    I'd say she was a Sparmatic as well - at least with those big tires, there would be a lot of ground clearance. I remember lots of moves from the summer shows when there was snow on the ground. If only we had pulled out last week and headed down to the winter show...... Not a big deal most times but there were times when things went wrong. The Washington Y-27 grapple yarder at Sproat Lake Division, went off the road and overturned on the way to the winter show in MacTush back in the late '70s. I can still see those wheels pointing up at the sky in my mind's eye. Most times they just left the machines towered up and everything in the landing for the winter. The machines would be all ready to go in the spring. The American line loaders were usually brought out - they could go cherry picking to keep busy.

  228. #228ValleyFirewood2013-10-23 07:52

    Three?! I know of easily a dozen not counting SE Alaska, where those pics are from.

  229. #229camptramp2013-10-23 22:58

    If you look at the road heading up into the timber it doesn't look like it goes far , The setting to the top left has been logged , the setting to the top right doesn't look like its completely fallen, theres a strip of timber standing by the road . Could something have gone wrong while turning the View Spar around in landing . Resulting in machine sliding off landing . Had it been a run away I'm sure it would be farther down hill.

  230. #230Born2clearcut2013-10-24 09:44

    You could be right Al , as you know almost anything could happen out there . I worked in the bush for 27 years and never had the same day twice .

  231. #231camptramp2013-10-24 21:53

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-243 HDX Hayes on WFI Hook up road . When you get a wasp in the cab ,you should just dog the brakes and deal with it ,driving and swatting at wasps doesn't mix.

  232. #232camptramp2013-10-24 22:04

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Highway between Masachie Lake and Lake Cowichan ,don't know how he kept the truck up right ,some days its better to be lucky than good.

  233. #233camptramp2013-10-24 23:25

    Born2clearcut just got off the phone to Bob Norcross it was a Caycuse mishap it was either the #716 or #774 View Spar Howard Donahue was running it . They were turning it around in the landing when the throttle hung up in low gear ,Before Howard could do anything about it ,it was over the edge of the landing .

  234. #234camptramp2013-10-27 01:02

    That depends on a lot of factors quite often the yarders and loaders can be caught at higher elevations by an early snow fall in late fall early winter ,when that happens they usually take a Cat and plow the road open getting the compacked snow off the road surface with gravel and dirt showing .If its possiable there'll take the lowbed up the hill to haul apiece of equipment down to Winter shows at lower elevations ,if there's still ice and slippery sections they'll sand the road or walk a machine down a hill with a Cat snubbing it until it gets to a lower and safe elevation . If for any reason we get a period of cold weather and the ground freezes then snows on it everything stops until the weather breaks. In the Winter of 1968 1969 it snowed between Christmas and New Years eased up a little after New Years, I went back to work for three days then it snowed hard in January some of the seinor crew got back to work in Febuary I didn't get back to work until the 17 th of March we were working in snow up to our chests using a shovel to dig for logs on the side hill to put chockers on them

  235. #235Vigilant2013-10-27 01:21

    I had thought about the possibility of snubbing with a Cat. Makes perfect sense.

  236. #236Born2clearcut2013-10-27 08:58

    When the weather was decent we would use a loaded off hiway truck to snub down our mini pipe (071 ) and line loaders

  237. #237camptramp2013-10-27 11:04

    Thats a good policy to help a machine off a steep hill . When I was pushing the off highway lowbed with Ernie Harrison's machine a 7220 American or Madill super snorkle . When we got to our destination . I would stay with the loader to get a load , Ernie came up with some of the greatest idea's one day he suggested hooking a strap to the back of the truck to his loader under carriage. With the Alison trans I could pull Ernie up the hill using enough power to help Ernie but not enough to spin the tires ,by taking the corners as wide as I could ,I could even help him turn. Didn't take long to get up the hill ,Ernie would bale a load on me and we'd be on our way to the dump . The last time I drove off highway logging truck I was sent out to the Walbran to haul from a Madill 4800 hydralic loader I was told to take my time as the under carriage was worn out and it had a long move up hill to the loading sight . I wasted no time getting out there when I suggested pulling him the fellow that was running it had never been around off highway log trucks or me .He thought I was crazy .I told him he was probaby right but hook the dam strap up and lets get going 1000 ft. up the road over the VHF radio I get a " your right it works" . Ernie's influence lives on.

  238. #238camptramp2013-11-06 00:17

    BCFP Renfrew Div.#6-222 HDX Hayes Sometimes you have a bad day and all you can do is say I did it and move on . I was turning a switch back off Hemmingston Cr. 8001 on to Hemmingston 8000 , we'd had a lot of rain the ground was saturated. As I made the turn I got out to the outside of the rock surface of the road , as I was steering back to the inside off the road ,the road under the drivers collapsed . Later you could see where the steering tires were pulled back , the torque on the load must have been tremendous, you could see a big circle where the trailer tires hit the solid road surface ten ft. from the edge . Its a stange feeling when it happens ,a lot of things happen in a couple of seconds . I can still visualize thirty years later hanging on to the steering wheel and walking around the cab as it rolled over . A lot of crashing and groaning ,when everything stopped I can still see oil running out of the hood ,through the windshield and trying to find the engine shut down ,after I got it shut off I rolled down the right side window ,crawled through the mud up to the road . As I was crawling up the bank something was in my shirt collar , I reached back to discover a light bulb and some brass fitting there . All the noise I heard was the spare parts out of the jump seat raining down on me . It happened on a Friday afternoon ,on Monday morning we got the loader down and got it back on the road . I drove it back to camp other than a wrinkle in the right fender ,a bent step and a couple of mirrors ,the woarst thing to happen was over the weekend some of the oil out of the main trans end up in the headliner.By Wednesday we were back hauling logs

  239. #239dirty4fun2013-11-06 04:30

    That looks like it didn't last long but had to be quite a ride. Talk about a helpless feeling, just hanging on and wondering what the out come was going to be. Probably a record for the fastest unload. Then to have it back up and running in such short time, is just amazing. Being able to drive complete the run and drive into the shop. Must of had some good repairmen at the shop to get it checked out fixed up and ready. Heck your pants weren't hardly dry from having to wash them, after crawling up through the mud back tot he road.

  240. #240Vigilant2013-11-06 18:41

    That could have ended a whole lot worse than it did, if the terrain was different. Thank God you hit the bottom early on, rather than several hundred feet down hill.

  241. #241SPIKE7972013-11-09 15:08

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Off highway lowbed got caught on soft shoulder on green road with #797 Skajit 120 ft. telescoping steel tower on board

  242. #242SPIKE7972013-11-09 15:10

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #27-25 Madill grapple yarder with nose to the ground

  243. #243SPIKE7972013-11-09 16:01

    Dorman Timber Madill 122 over the bank

  244. #244dirty4fun2013-11-09 18:27

    Spike, those pictures make it look like someone was having a real bad day.

  245. #245skadill2013-11-23 20:46

    Oops of the day Earlier this afternoon.Truck had the loader in the air while getting out of the site with pushing and pulling,the loader drifted over the side fairly quickly and caught a tree.I was behind and was hitting the horn in the machine but,it wasn't heard.Helped get the mirror brackets and hood straightened out with a jack, in an hour or more,and off he went.Was an unfortunate thing to watch happening .

  246. #2460752013-11-24 11:50

    Its funny years ago WCB made us cut down all the trees in a setting because they were pulling over and killing workers. Now we are back to leaving single stem and larger patches standing and we are back to trees falling over on workers. Guess the first lesson was not learned very well.

  247. #247jackd2013-11-24 16:03

    I remember when they used to leave snags in the settings. Usually they were too rotten for the fallers to bring down. We would sometimes choke them higher up and drag them down with the rigging - not a big deal. I do remember once when they decided to bring the blasters in from the grade to do the job. We were logging on a fairly flat setting and the snag was a couple of hundred out off our bottom side square lead. They brought in a couple dozen sheets of plywood to stand up next to the Madill yarder to protect the machine from debris. They placed the charges in amongst the roots of the snag - it was a tall one. We all dropped back and watched the show from behind a stump a safe distance away. From what I remember we were all peaking over the top of the stump we were hiding behind to watch the action - maybe not so bright a move. Well I think they over estimated how much explosive they needed because when she blew it was quite spectacular. It was like watching one of those early failed rocket launches from the `60s - a massive boom and debris cloud followed. The snag actually started to lift like it was heading for orbit and then fell down into the ever increasing debris cloud. There was junk flying everywhere (maybe some of you guys have watched that news item where they dynamited a dead whale on a beach for the new cameras upteen years ago). Rocks, dirt, chunks raining down in all directions. Thank god for the plywood or there wouldn`t have been much left of the windows in the yarder. Working on the rigging always had it`s moments.

  248. #248wornout wrench2013-11-24 16:33

    Hahaha Jack Been there done that. The blasters had some old powder that they wanted to get rid of, so the next snag got it. I had the perfect view from across the valley. Just like you said, NASA's worst nightmare. I thought that thing was going into orbit before it went over sideways. Big cloud of brown dust and debris Truly impressive. No plywood needed, but have stories of a faller who had his saw stashed for his days off, when he got back there was a big boulder on top of it. What are the chances of fly rock landing on top of a saw, hidden behind a stump close to the standing timber. Bad karma???

  249. #249dirty4fun2013-11-24 19:04

    Chainsaws We had a pond to dig and were cutting the small trees and there were a couple bigger ones. I had one done and cleaned up ready to the biggest one. I had it notched and was ready to fall it. Told everyone to move away from where I was going to drop the tree. I finished the cut and when the tree started to fall I stood up, due to the swamp grass I couldn't see very far. There sitting on a stump was the only new saw we had. The tree hit the stump dead center, I got elected to return the fuel cap to the owner of the saw, and explain what had happened. The fuel cap was all that wasn't smashed or twisted beyond use.

  250. #25069hayes2013-11-24 22:20

    A friend of mine was hiding under a Cat 235 with the blaster,when it went off, the blaster had his hand resting out on the top of the track and was minus a couple of fingers from flyrock that landed on top of it, I bet that really smarted.

  251. #251camptramp2013-11-25 10:49

    tw Timberwest HBO A 7230 Cypress having a bad day

  252. #252dirty4fun2013-11-25 18:31

    Sure not a view I anyone would enjoy, looking out the front window at the ground that close.

  253. #25369hayes2013-11-25 21:58

    But sure is a easy way to get at those bottom grease fittings

  254. #2540752013-11-25 22:59

    How on earth did he manage that over the end of tracks on flat ground ?

  255. #255camptramp2013-11-25 23:25

    075 I didn't take the picture ,but I could see it when I drove by on the Harris Cr. M/L below it . The picture don't show the hill as steep as it looks from below . Its all new growth in that area and we were hauling with highway trucks ,don't think it was something he lifted. I see some logs cross ways on the road could they have been a ramp to level himself up ,could he have rolled forward instead of backing off ramp? Never had a chance to ask operator about it but it sure looked strange, and it didn't do much damage,that I know of.

  256. #256Jumbo2013-11-26 19:07

    OK, I'll ask... Is that how you grease the undercarriage up there in BC? :drinkup

  257. #257Born2clearcut2013-11-27 08:30

    It's not the best way ,but it is one way

  258. #258camptramp2013-12-11 23:42

    bc BCFP Renfrew Div. If your salvageing logs on the beach with a Timber Toter don't get stuck below the high tide mark.

  259. #259camptramp2013-12-11 23:56

    bc BCFP Renfrew Div. #14-4 Wagoner stacker ,hit a pot hole while carrying grapple full of logs into log bay to deck.

  260. #260HDX2013-12-12 11:19

    camptramp Back in the late 70's One of our Wagners (L120)was dumping a load of logs down a ramp to the water at the Sarita DLS when the brakes failed completely and she went under water Nothing showing but the boom up in the air with the load of logs above the water It looked very funny From that day on she became known as the "U"120 She was later transferred to Copper Canyon's dryland sort

  261. #261John C.2013-12-12 19:48

    Fella just trying to square up the ends?

  262. #262rdr992013-12-12 20:20

    Looks like the boom was extended. Never really been around them, though I worked in a few DLS'. Would not have thought that they were that tippy.

  263. #263camptramp2013-12-12 23:18

    bc BCFP Renfrew Div. #16-14 5720 American log loader , operator got close to the guard rail driving on to bridge on Harris Cr. M/L between spur 12 and Hillcrest gate . Cross ties were past prime and broke off when the weight hit them .

  264. #2640752013-12-13 00:16

    How did they get it out?

  265. #265jackd2013-12-13 00:18

    How did they get that one out? She's lying so close to the bridge, it would be kind of hard to tip her upright.

  266. #266Birken Vogt2013-12-13 00:24

    It looks like the bridge was a little past its prime anyway

  267. #267camptramp2013-12-13 01:00

    I wasn't there at the time ,these are a friend of mines pictures . It was the landing bucker running it while the regular operator was away his only injury was being knocked out and it ruined a good future operator . The cross ties are clearly rotten its just a wonder it didn't happen sooner. I believe from other pictures I've seen they used two Washington TL15 Trakloaders to lift it out . Its good gravel in that area they could have built a road to it, put it back on its wheels and drove it out.

  268. #268dirty4fun2013-12-13 04:20

    He was lucky if only knocked out. That looked like it had to be quite a bang when it landed on it's side.

  269. #269camptramp2013-12-13 15:37

    Check posting #212 on page 15 there are a couple more pictures of same mishap.

  270. #270jackd2013-12-13 19:56

    I went back to your old posting and see the cat road they built and the cat pulling on the machine - away from the bridge piles. Are the loader and grapple yarder hooked onto the house or the undercarriage? So I'm guessing this is done in one big pull - the cat dragging it away from the bridge and the two machines trying to un-weight the house/boom to make it easier to drag and right it at the same time. And my guess there was probably another big cat on the other side doing the same as this one. How bad were the bridge piles, when all was said and done? I only saw this done once on a Madill grapple yarder that fell off the deck of the low bed up in the Ash River Valley. The rear wheels of the low bed had sunk down a bit on the inside of a corner, on the downhill side of the road. It spat the yarder off onto her roof/gantry in a heartbeat - with her undercarriage sticking up in the air. Being a young punk, I wondered what the big plan was. The old buggers - guys who had started off in the post-war years got a plan going fairly quick. They built a cat road down to the machine much like in your picture. They then strung lines to the machines and up through blocks hung on stumps up on the uphill side of the road. There were multiple blocks and lines strung - creating quite the 'purchase'. There were no loaders or grapple yarders to be had so the cats just walked up the road pulling on the lines and she popped back on her feet within minutes of the operation commencing. I was quite impressed.

  271. #271camptramp2013-12-13 21:40

    The bridge is quite short , I don't think there are any pilings just bridge abutmemts on either ends. I wasn't working there at the time that happened , But I have run that loader a few years later ,didn't seem the worst for wear . Its my under standing there was some major inspecting and bridge work after that inident. As with most of the major camps of that era there was lots of riggers and equipment to stand that machine back on its wheels and get it out of the creek.

  272. #272caycusion2013-12-13 22:53

    the man by the name of green

  273. #273camptramp2013-12-13 23:01

    I usually leave somethings unsaid

  274. #274prolog nz2013-12-19 20:12

    Got given this photo by a mate today transporter fell off the road a couple of years back

  275. #275loggers son2013-12-19 22:12

    ^^ not a good day at work

  276. #276dirty4fun2013-12-20 05:01

    Prolog The work of getting back to where they could load it and haul to the shop for repairs would make for one very costly mistake. Would of enjoyed seeing how they got it back upright and on the truck for repairs.

  277. #277furpo2013-12-22 01:33

    Been waiting for someone to post that photo up. My understanding is the 124 was pulled to bits for the lift out. I have run this machine after the rebuild and it is fine.

  278. #278camptramp2013-12-22 17:09

    wm Timberwest Nanaimo Lakes Div. I'm quoting Wes M " Self propelled Madill 009 90ft. highlead tower I pulled over because Timberwest believed a want to be Hooktender's BS that he knew what he was doing . The square lead and back quarter guyline stumps were rotten . As it was going over it was slow motion. I had time to wonder what was going to happen when it stopped, well it was nothing, like laying down on a mattress with engine still running . Shut it off ,now to get out . You don't know how heavy those doors are until you try to open them, when cab is laying on its side......I didn't even get a bruise"

  279. #279camptramp2013-12-22 17:11

    wm Timberwest Nanaimo Lakes Div.

  280. #280camptramp2013-12-22 17:14

    wm Timberwest Nanaimo Lakes Div.

  281. #281camptramp2013-12-22 17:17

    wm Timberwest Nanaimo Lakes Div.

  282. #282camptramp2013-12-22 17:20

    wm Timberwest Nanaimo Lakes Div. good time to check under carrage and grease U joint

  283. #283camptramp2013-12-22 17:24

    wm Timberwest Nanaimo Lakes Div.

  284. #284camptramp2013-12-22 17:28

    wm Timberwest Nanaimo Lakes Div.

  285. #285camptramp2013-12-22 17:40

    wm Teal Jones HBO #54-87 Cypress 7230 loader slewing bolts broke house toppeled off under carrage

  286. #286camptramp2013-12-22 17:42

    wm Teal Jones HBO Div. #54-87 Cypress 7230 loader

  287. #287HDX2013-12-22 18:23

    Guy on the right sure looks like Arnie

  288. #288camptramp2013-12-22 19:24

    wm Teal Jones HBO more of #54-87

  289. #289camptramp2013-12-22 19:29

    Teal Jones HBO it probably is Arnie I've heard of him but never met him and this happened when IPL was the principal contractor.

  290. #290BDFT2013-12-22 21:47

    That looks like it was a ride and a half.

  291. #291caycusion2013-12-23 00:25

    hallberg,levirs and arnie....hemmingsen creek.

  292. #292HDX2013-12-23 22:06

    Thanks caycusion, Arnie is a real pleasure to work around and with. His easy manner and optimistic way of looking at things sure is great!

  293. #293Murk1002014-01-25 14:28

    Valet parking I think the mechanic had a bad day!!! rolled away knocked service truck out off the way...Yikes

  294. #294prolog nz2014-01-25 16:08

    Would have been a few cigarettes and abit of head scratching to sort that one out

  295. #295caycusion2014-01-25 23:58

    Coulson....

  296. #2960752014-01-26 00:23

    I heard that the got it out fairly easily with no damage

  297. #297Born2clearcut2014-01-26 11:08

    Got to love good tail holds .

  298. #298kshansen2014-01-26 15:15

    Just looking at him in that picture I get the feeling he is just thinking of how he will go about fixing the problem. Not running around screaming and shouting like some guys who never get much done.

  299. #299born to fall2014-01-29 17:15

    hey camptramp the landing bucker that was running that was my dad......he was knocked out but aswell kinda wrecked his back too.....

  300. #300caycusion2014-02-01 02:15

    haulback , mainline and tag.

  301. #301Turbo_Drive2014-02-11 08:57

    Guy holding the chain and yelling was on the Skidder pulling a prentice 410D loader and the one taking the pic. was on a hydro axe 611 cutter pushing. Needles to say the cutter was pushing faster than the Skidder was pulling. No injuries, just a pissed off Skidder driver, lol

  302. #302Kiwi Logger2014-02-16 23:05

    There is a clip on You Tube getting this out runs for several minutes.

  303. #303MutsMachines2014-03-01 23:01

    deere log loader just ditched her good. tore all the hoses out and dumped the entire hydraulic oil tank out of the serco. very expensive screw up.

  304. #304camptramp2014-03-03 16:18

    Toby Herd has lent me some pictures , this one is a Forstland Industries empty crummmy that had a loaded logging truck rolled over on it, up Shaw Cr.

  305. #305camptramp2014-03-03 16:24

    TB- Forestland Industries Alta Lake A D8 Cat fell off lowbed.

  306. #306loggers son2014-03-30 04:24

    This one from thursday driver cut the corner trev

  307. #307dirty4fun2014-03-30 05:53

    Looks like the low spot in the road and the shoulder was soaked with rain water. Get a little close and instant bad day, and costly too.

  308. #308camptramp2014-04-10 00:34

    Bob J. Copper Canyon around 1958 a logging truck went off Silver Cr Thresle, amazingly the driver walked away with a bump on his back.

  309. #309HDX2014-04-10 21:49

    Truck was H85 the only center-mount cab truck down there till the Nanaimo River trucks showed up at the Canyon in late 60's

  310. #310loggers son2014-04-11 17:30

    how the heck do you walk away from that?

  311. #311Steve Frazier2014-04-11 18:17

    Looks like the load is worth more than the truck at that point! Did they recover it or is it still there?

  312. #312HDX2014-04-11 22:16

    They would have used a D8 cat , Walk it down into the creek wherever they could and dragged the truck out then gone back and got the trailer . After they were out of the way they would have dragged the logs up to the road and sometime when a Log Loader was going by that spot they would load it on another truck! This was the common thing to do at that time. We lost a HDX over the bank after a head-on sideswipe and she went down a couple hundred feet Straight down and the guy on the D9 with a winch on the back went down and brought up the truck and then went back down and got the trailer Man it was so steep you had to use ropes to get down to her Guy on the D9 was Eric Collins man he was good Just one of those type fellows you could watch all day.

  313. #313DBDLS2014-04-16 13:42

    I was roaming around the net recently looking for logging p_________y and came across an excellent video on youtube called 'Grapple Yarder Rescue' by Branden Grieder. www.youtube.com/watch=tvTYhShCm5Y . Very well done. Some excellent problem solving done in this situation. Well worth the watch. Thank you.

  314. #314camptramp2014-04-19 00:48

    Bob J. A Mallock & Mosley off highway P16 Pacific lost the pin holding the reach in the funnel on back of truck , as the truck pulled on to Robertson R. bridge the trailler tracked to the left and flipped truck off bridge , Fortunatly the driver was not injured.

  315. #315Paul L2014-04-22 01:54

    NZ about 2002 Nelson, NZ. I don't know what this machine is. It used to belong to one of the Ewers brothers. Operator filled his pants.

  316. #316furpo2014-04-22 15:47

    It looks like one of the original Brightwater 70's.

  317. #317camptramp2014-05-09 00:32

    Blk prince CZ Nitinat

  318. #318camptramp2014-05-09 01:16

    Blk prince CZ Nitinat Contractor R. Forester Trucking's Kenworth and CZ's #205-1 Pacific there are 2 trucks in these pictures. 1968

  319. #319camptramp2014-05-09 01:31

    Blk prince More

  320. #320camptramp2014-05-09 01:33

    Blk prince more

  321. #321mitch5042014-05-09 02:41

    There ain't no way the guy in the Pacific walked away, unless he jumped out before impact, is it?

  322. #322Blk prince2014-05-09 07:19

    Actually,he did come out hurt,off work for a year and came back in good shape

  323. #323mitch5042014-05-09 11:08

    lucky man

  324. #324HDX2014-05-09 22:05

    Blk prince The Pacific was for sure the preload and the swinging saddle on top of the water tank says she was one of the lift off the trailer with the loader style trucks Same as yours

  325. #325Blk prince2014-05-10 14:03

    HDX,you miss nothing! Yes,this one and the 205-2 were twins. Cummins 335,5&4 sticks 46-40 rears. Good old trucks for hauling 60-65 tons

  326. #326Vigilant2014-05-10 21:30

    What was the cause of the wreck?

  327. #327diamondtguy2014-05-10 21:52

    All I can say is "Holy ****" ....that makes my head on collision (freeway speed) last year look like a Walmart fender bender.My truck was a F-250 diesel 4x4....I salute the drivers.....Cory

  328. #328Blk prince2014-05-10 22:41

    Back when logging roads were closed to the public,our mainline was left hand drive. A quarter of a mile before the scene of this mess is where the trucks coming back empty is the crossover point. Loaded truck was on his own side of the road,the empty coming towards him did not cross to the outside and this was actually a head on collision. If is hard to believe but there was no loss of life. Scone then all roads are right hand drive as companies do not want liability issues when public wanders into places they do not belong during working hours.

  329. #329Murk1002014-05-11 11:39

    Looks like it happened again...last week..

  330. #330catman132014-05-11 15:08

    maybe they should fire that machine for falling down on the job, or refusing to work all day

  331. #3311466IH2014-05-11 16:14

    Are yarders that unstable? I have never even seen one but from all of the pics in this post it seems that they are always falling over

  332. #332camptramp2014-05-11 16:44

    If that machine didn't have bad luck it wouldn't have any luck at all. Maybe the insurance company should have wrote it off on the first header , would have been a bargain.

  333. #333Paul L2014-05-11 18:31

    Would this yarder be so unlucky if it was loaded/transported with the boom down? I know it would take longer, but for the gamble of it tipping over and having a big loss it would pay for itself.

  334. #334Born2clearcut2014-05-11 22:22

    1466IH nine out of ten time's the crew is more unstable then the machine . lol

  335. #3351466IH2014-05-11 22:27

    10-4 I can easily understand that. The same problems exist around here too just with different equipment Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

  336. #336OldandWorn2014-05-12 05:24

    Was there a reason/advantage for this?

  337. #337AlexWoods2014-05-12 16:13

    OMG, the last place you want to be

  338. #338Blk prince2014-05-12 19:57

    OldandWorn,hello. The reason for left hand drive was to keep the loaded truck on the bank side of the road. The empty would have the ditch side and be able to stop in a wide spot if the road went too narrow for two trucks. At Nitinat we had 18 miles of paved mainline and 6 call points.3 for empty truck and 3 for loaded truck. No problem knowing where to meet. Along come highway trucks with tiny 8 foot bunks and Safety guy says now you must have 8 call points for empty and 8 for loaded trucks. My opinion,just a farce!

  339. #339BTC2014-05-12 20:17

    Annual Overhaul The Northwest Bay yarder is in for it's annual T-Mar visit.

  340. #340HDX2014-05-12 22:47

    Blk prince 8 call points just gets you out the gate and onto the mainline. OH and don't forget to call every Kilometer now empty and loaded and then there is the loaded and empty pick ups calling up and down just as much as the fiberglass fleet Goes like this Empty pick up Carmannah 13 up or loaded pick up Bamfield 27 down. Then there is the real trucks just trying to haul with all this noise pollution going on. Wonder what would happen if for some reason their radio went on the fritz Pull over and phone on their sat phone for a pilot car I guess. There is over 100 different radio frequencies out where we are but everybody has to be on just one and that is the repeater channel Remember the old BC Tel radios we all had before the Motorola ones came about Hit a bump in the road and out she went Only you never knew it till you met another truck!!

  341. #341Blk prince2014-05-12 23:16

    HDX,yes you met another truck,you pasted and you carried on. Now,no radio no work!meant to say "you passed"

  342. #342camptramp2014-05-16 00:15

    Blk prince The last load of veneer from the Youbou sawmill had a slight mishap

  343. #343camptramp2014-05-16 00:33

    Blk prince CZ Forman collides with logging truck Nanaimo Lake's

  344. #344HDX2014-05-16 21:46

    Lots of chunk trucks in the background

  345. #345camptramp2014-05-16 23:33

    Blk prince M&B Copper Canyon H-70Last corner before Chemainus dump

  346. #346Blk prince2014-05-17 09:56

    HDX,Na. Lakes had 3 chunk trucks going all the time. The old VTS logging school had an old tower that put out 1 load a day then there were 3-4 tree farm skid dears going and these kept the trucks in wood. 2 of them were Venture Loaders and 1 was a hay rack.

  347. #347HDX2014-05-17 10:48

    Were these the ones Stan Balance and his brothers had?? They bought maybe one or two of the old M&B 1952 series HD's and used them for parts I think Im thinkin maybe old H72 and cant remember the other unit number

  348. #348Blk prince2014-05-17 11:05

    If memory serves me right,I think Balance was at Nanaimo River. The ones at the Lakes were Venture 01 Jack James of Duncan. Venture 02 Fred Cairns of Cedar. Hay rack was Tom Hawthornwaite of Cedar then sold to Herb Randall,a company driver. Later came Ralph Noye. He was a contractor from Ladysmith. He had a new Hayes ,HD I think. Then had it converted to a venture loader. All these trucks had tongs.

  349. #349caycusion2014-05-19 00:00

    couple weeks ago

  350. #350NZ Engineer2014-05-19 00:19

    ouch... I see the ambo... I hope he walked away

  351. #351camptramp2014-05-20 00:40

    Blk prince CZ Nanaimo Lakes

  352. #352NZ Engineer2014-05-21 21:42

    Happened today... and survived (somehow) http://static2.stuff.co.nz/1400718549/563/10072563.jpg

  353. #353Vigilant2014-05-21 21:45

    God help the driver.

  354. #354Murk1002014-05-21 22:19

    Is that 52-2 ? I'm sure enjoying all your CZ pics...keep going

  355. #355Blk prince2014-05-22 00:25

    Yes,the 52-2 on Br 38 Yarding uphill. Big log and friction would not release,no one hurt.

  356. #356HDX2014-05-25 22:10

    Blk prince--these are the pictures of H-159 a couple of weeks ago. Driver was heading from Camp B to Sarita DLS about 1/4 to 6 in the morning. He met one of our own 6 packs and was forced further over to the side than he should have been and the entire shoulder gave way. This is the end result. No personal injuries. Truck should be back hauling in the next week or so. Only concern was engine was still running when she went upside down so we'll have to wait and see how that turned out.

  357. #357HDX2014-05-25 22:21

    Glen Baird with his long pole loader lifted her out CAREFULLY and once she was on her feet, damage didn't appear that bad. It's amazing what these trucks will take.

  358. #358camptramp2014-05-25 23:15

    Sounds like they got the right guy to lift it out , some guys do more damage getting it out, the magic word is carefully.

  359. #359Blk prince2014-05-25 23:33

    Looking at the clean fuel tank,I would say the driver did look after this truck. Is he back at work and does he want this truck back? May want to send a PM.

  360. #360Vigilant2014-05-26 00:13

    Looks like the cab survived, thanks to the water tank and headboard.

  361. #361diamondtguy2014-05-26 00:13

    Certainly the most interesting pics of a P-16 I have seen...Glad to hear he is ok and the truck should be fine as well....Providing no engine damage occurred...looks like it has been repowered by a modern diesel......Cory

  362. #362camptramp2014-05-26 00:57

    Check Pacific thread page #33 post #490 you posted a picture of that P16 at the Pacific shop brand new . it was originally BCFP's #6-263 new in about 1979 it came with a natural V12-71 , was repowered with a twin turboed V12-71 in the late 1980's , then repowered with a Signature 600 Cummins in the late !990's. Its Timberwest # was #40-139. To the best of my knowledge that the first major mishap that trucks been involved in.

  363. #363diamondtguy2014-05-26 01:06

    Interesting...That would be the pic of me sitting under her when new......Thanks

  364. #364callingtheshop2014-05-27 21:49

    Deja vu all over again.

  365. #365HDX2014-05-27 22:08

    callingtheshop I think you saw this scene a time or two over your career !!! Do you remember the Friday that H208(Terry Haugen) rolled over coming off BR247 then 1/2 hour later the H102(Harry Cross) went over at the Bamfield Cutoff Then late in the afternoon Jack Cote drove off the road and rolled over right in camp B !!! All three trucks were loaded Was kind of a black Friday if you will. Poor old Jack OBrien (JJ) He was the transportation minister at the time!!!

  366. #366callingtheshop2014-05-27 23:41

    HDX, actually the postings on 357 & 358 remind me of the fresh HDX rebuild/repower that slowly rolled over on Nitinat ML after pulling over to let a crummie go by. Was it Cal S. who was operating it? Jack James and Gilbert righted the unit, I steered and you towed it into Camp B. It was dark and I lined up the rad cap somewhere on the back of your truck and it seemed to work as when we went over the bridge none of the tires contacted any of the bridge. Not very much damage and it was ready for work the next morning. Sometimes the bad days turn out not so bad.

  367. #367HDX2014-05-29 22:08

    I will post those pics as soon as I get time H111 Len R LOL. The paint was still wet I think

  368. #368Taylor572014-05-29 23:17

    Here are a couple of pics of the other truck that was in this 1953 accident...a Kenworth.

  369. #369Blk prince2014-05-31 11:19

    HDX good morning did the 159 come back to work this week? Same driver? Any engine issues?

  370. #370HDX2014-05-31 21:42

    Not yet Suppose to be back on Tue. Will take pictures of her and post on here when she comes back!! Should be same driver.

  371. #371Blk prince2014-05-31 22:00

    Will be good to see her shiny and straight. Any damage to trailer? What was the replacement truck?

  372. #372HDX2014-06-02 21:32

    H-159 back on the line today. Just came back. Got all dusty driving from Cameron to Sarita. Will post pictures of her hauling when I get the chance. Looks like a million bucks.

  373. #373HDX2014-06-02 21:34

    Couple more.

  374. #374Vigilant2014-06-02 21:41

    Without those trees on the hillside, it could have been REAL ugly. Thank GOD for that.

  375. #375HDX2014-06-02 22:02

    The only thing missing is the Pacific plates on each side of the hood. The ones that were on there were the cast ones and now adorn a toolbox somewhere. Diamondtguy Do you know if there are any of the repo Pacific decals around??? Pacific stopped using the cast ones and went to a decal in the late 90's as you know. A certain driver would like to know. I told him I would throw it out there and see what popped up

  376. #376diamondtguy2014-06-02 22:23

    Hey...I used to have a couple sets of them still wrapped up.I am pretty sure I gave them to a couple of the drivers at Allied concrete who drove the tandem steer concrete trucks (they had 5)..I will make some calls and see if I can find them/some.....Cory Stupid me gave most of my Pacific stuff away in the 90's..

  377. #377diamondtguy2014-06-02 23:03

    I forget to mention....The truck looks great.Glad to see it right side up again......Cory

  378. #378Blk prince2014-06-02 23:26

    Thanks for the pictures,look like something familiar off to the right.

  379. #379diamondtguy2014-06-03 00:15

    I have tracked down one set of "new" Pacific name plates..One of Allied's ex drivers is pretty sure he has them at home but I will have to wait and see...my brother did Allied's fleet service and still looks after Ocean Concrete's stuff as well(my brother owns his own tire company).....He tracked the driver down for me..... On a side note....I can make a one off set for the truck if the driver likes.I have a large water jet at work and no shortage of stainless.Actually I can pretty much make anything....

  380. #380hoglogg2014-06-03 11:54

    i have a set of original 81 pacific plates and they are installed by pacific on the removable engine side covers , its a p510, was it just the larger trucks with them installed on the hood ?

  381. #381diamondtguy2014-06-03 19:17

    ....................Should be the same name plate....(That would be me in the pic).....Cory.. I read the previous post to quick......I will have to dig through my stuff to figure out the answer to the name plate location question.....

  382. #382HDX2014-06-03 21:23

    If you guys check out the MacMillan Bloedel thread- post 888 the first picture you can see the decal arrangement on the top part of the hood on the two P16's. Cory I don't know when the shift was made to them but there they are. All the earlier P16s we got had the cast Pacific sign plate on the side panels of the hood along with P16 script. When we got those trucks in 1998 they came with the decal. I saw some that Pacific had made and they were in ARIBIC!!!! Was there a couple trucks built around that time for Saudi Arabia???? And im thinking that there was a small over run of them made. The decal was just a shot because most guys that have the cast plate keep them for "Wall Hangers" in the shop. Thanks for the help guys The driver really appreciates it.

  383. #383diamondtguy2014-06-03 21:41

    I don't remember the Pacific decals....I will have to find my decals and look through them...I agree on the name plates.Lots of them are wall hangers.I gave my dad a set as well...sadly I have never found the 4x8 board he had all cool truck name plates on.I suspect it was at the BC transportation museum when he died in 1988 or its sitting in a basement somewhere in Port Coquitlam.... Yes we built trucks for Saudi Arabia..They were P-12W "Roughnecks"..I remember the Aribic decals....I have a photo somewhere... I will work on some "Pacific" name plates..

  384. #384HDX2014-06-03 21:57

    Ok cory many thanks I heard that there was stuff relocated shall we say there

  385. #385Blk prince2014-06-03 22:14

    HDX did 159 pull a load today,any engine issues?

  386. #386HDX2014-06-03 22:38

    She went out but they had to unload her, I went up and they put the load on me. She had some kind of 5th wheel problem to the point of it was binding up somehow. Cant be much Maybe the bunk rollers on the front bunk were binding and of coarse the driver is still a little spooked . Lots of new smells and whatnot. Oil that got into places where it would not normally go but because of her situation being upside down it went everywhere. He is a good driver and accidents will happen. I think its good to err on the side of caution. New paint burning off parts because of overspray etc all make you second guess everything! He's ready to roll in AM all watered and fueled. Will take pics of it with load. Engine seems fine Checked out No 1 It always amazed me to see these truck flopped over and then yarded back on their feet Reloaded and started up and off to the dump or Dryland sort. Mirrors are usually the first causualty followed shortly after by driver pride. A HAPPY ENDING FOR SURE

  387. #387Blk prince2014-06-03 23:23

    You are right,new smells always hard to get your head around these things. And then to be rescued by a Hayes,OBOY.

  388. #388camptramp2014-06-09 22:32

    Blk prince This happened on Clover Leaf just North of Cassidy heading west off Island Highway.

  389. #389caycusion2014-06-09 23:24

    we had one on the same cloverleaf...ours was not so dramatic

  390. #390Blk prince2014-06-09 23:51

    Fellow on the right,Gordie C?

  391. #391caycusion2014-06-10 20:12

    yep........

  392. #392Blk prince2014-06-10 23:32

    Thanks for PM

  393. #393Blk prince2014-06-11 21:41

    Caucusion,in the Post 350 there is a town ambulance in the landing. What was the outcome? Was operator Barry C. Or Donnie DeC?

  394. #394Blk prince2014-06-26 22:57

    HDX,what is the latest on the 159 as for performance now?

  395. #395HDX2014-06-27 00:12

    She is humpin logs everyday goin back and forth like a good thing, Just lost her "Vulcan Drive" yesterday but back at it today!!! No issues at all

  396. #396Len Burton2014-07-28 00:42

    Here are a few more from my pictures. The area was just above Wye Creek.

  397. #397Len Burton2014-07-28 00:48

    Here are a few more pics. I've got lots from all angles.

  398. #398dirty4fun2014-07-28 05:37

    Len, About some details of what happened. Did one machine fall and take the other with it, what caused the accident?

  399. #399Hallback2014-07-28 08:17

    Kind of ironic that the skidder is the only thing upright. Lol

  400. #400TorkelH2014-07-28 14:07

    So, Len Burton, that's a 6230? in two parts and an 143 on it's side. Think it has been some rumors that the hydraulic u/c may have been somewhat underdimensioned on these machines:tong, with b.o. limited breaking capability in grades. On the other hand tower is higher than 044's and it must have been easy to underevaluate necessary guying of the machine switching from an 044. And for the third, an interlocked machine is quite different to operate compared to a non interlocked. Pls bring more of the detailed pictures. How did the operators do? And, if you know, what was the cause of the accident?

  401. #4010752014-07-28 22:50

    That's a 7220, Vertical travel shaft in the middle of the car body is a dead give away, along with the smith travel brakes and not having swing bearing just hook rollers. And it would take some thing to lift it off the car body and not break the travel shaft. Very interested to hear how that happened I use to run the 1299 the sister to the 1295 there.

  402. #402Len Burton2014-07-29 02:50

    I don't know what caused the accident and or if anyone was seriously injured. We were heading up the mainline just past the Diversion Reservoir when a couple of pickups flew by us heading towards Jordon River and probably to the nearest doctor in Sooke. It was a little past 8 in the morning. We were just off roading that day and it was a Saturday so we were surprized anyone was logging. No one was at either machine, the engines were still warm and diesel was pouring out onto the ground so it had just happened shortly before we came upon machinery all over the place. I wouldn't want to say for sure but it appeared someone was injured by the looks inside of the machine. I'll post more pictures and maybe someone can figure out happened.

  403. #403bushman12014-07-29 09:21

    There's no boom or cab on shovel and looking at all lines of yarder my guess is that old skidder let them down while assisting putting it back together or taking it apart

  404. #404Blk prince2014-07-29 17:19

    Is there a date as to when this happened?

  405. #405Len Burton2014-08-01 03:04

    If I remember it was around 1998 or 99. I'll see if I can find a date.

  406. #406Len Burton2014-08-01 23:38

    The date was September 1999. There are a few interesting pics here. You can see where someone hit the safety glass in the yarder and where someone poured some fuel absorbent around the yarder. It leaking diesel into a stream.

  407. #407Len Burton2014-08-01 23:42

    A few more pics.

  408. #408Len Burton2014-08-01 23:45

    The last pics.

  409. #409Bumpsteer2014-08-01 23:48

    Damn...looks like a train wreck. Ed

  410. #410Len Burton2014-08-01 23:54

    I couldn't believe it when we drove up to it. Len

  411. #4110752014-08-02 00:31

    It is strange that they would lift it with the grapple yarder. The only reason you would ever lift the house off the car body would be to change the centre pin bushing. And it is far easier to jack it up than it is to lift it, much more control on letting it down. you would also not have remove the cab and boom and gantry when you jack it. .

  412. #412camptramp2014-08-02 00:37

    I met a fellow down at Sooke many years ago who ran a 7220 at Jordan River for CPS which later became WFP . John Ballast he was originally from the QCI . The American was set up with one of those early super snorkels . The division didn't have an off highway lowbed , so it got waked for many miles from one area to the next . I ran across John in Victoria one time around the turn of the century and he told me he was now running a hydraulic log loader , he didn't say what became of the 7220 , but those pictures are probably the end of it.

  413. #413lever twister2014-08-04 23:27

    I ran the 143 for about 15 years at WFP Jordan River Div. Here is the story. They were parting out the 7720 American and wanted to load three sections onto three different lowbeds with the 143. Camptramp, you are right, John Bellis ran the 7220 and was just amazing to watch. There might be better line loader ops out there but I doubt it. He could almost make that grapple talk. Anyways, on a Friday afternoon the foreman wanted us to set up the yarder to load out the equipment Saturday morning. He told me he would run the yarder as I , being the first aid attendant would be doing a practice with the helicopter the next day. He picked the guyline stumps that were questioned by myself and the hooker. Torkel , you were right they were out of lead considering the machine was on a slope towards were the 7220 ended up. We did a practice lift and I think it was 075 who said they were heavy but that was probably an understatement. That done Saturday morning arrives. Not being there I have to rely on what I heard. The 7220 was hoisted off the carrier with swing maxi applied along with mainline maxi. Somebody asked why the skidder was there, I forget who, but I believe it was to help the yarder swing over to the lowbed. Everything was good until the swing brake on the 143 was released, being on a downhill slope with incredible weight it started swinging downslope. Operator did this before releasing main maxi, skidder could not slow swing and let line go. By that time the yarder was out of lead with guylines and mainbrake still holding or just released, it was too late, the old girl went up on her toes on the offside and pooped the operator through the window, missing gantry supports and whatever to land on the ground. Apparently two seconds later he was standing by the master mechanic, very white faced and shaken. Trip to hospital and the only injury found was glass shards under a very stylus toupee. Yarder had a different story. The big v12 broke it's mounts and slammed through the rad and broke casing on outside of the chaincase and numerous other minor damage. Was a peach to run for a few months until things worked there way back to norm. They said only 10,000 damage but I think that was very conservative.

  414. #414camptramp2014-08-05 00:55

    Thanks lever twister that clears up what happened to the 7220 , as I haven't seen John for quite a few years , do you know how he's doing ? I had to laugh at him one time . He told me the woods foreman had taken him aside and pointed out he had put ( if I recall right ) 80 plus Meters of log's on a heavy highway truck , then straight faced he said I'm not sure what he wanted , he didn't say I over loaded it and he didn't say if he wanted me to put more on them , but I don't think I could get any more scale on it any way's.

  415. #415camptramp2014-11-25 21:40

    Al Lundgren is sharing his pictures of a logging truck wreck on F12 a truck road off the Caycuse M/L it involved the #40-131 an HBO Fletcher Challenge Pacific P16 formerly a BCFP Caycuse truck #6-261 , somehow in driver missed a switch back and drove the truck down the hill to the road underneath . The truck took a beating , but the driver was okay . The guy is the coolest character I know , in a calm voice he radioed in he had wrecked the 131 ,like it happened every day .

  416. #416diamondtguy2014-11-25 22:13

    Interesting way to get a sun visor on your P-16....Is that a rather large air starter tank under the right side of the water tank.??.Looks like it broke the front axle loose on the right side.....not a fun ride..........Cory

  417. #417dirty4fun2014-11-26 05:18

    That ride would of made for an early laundry day for that week.

  418. #418Hank R2014-11-26 10:50

    Could of been a lot worse.

  419. #419HDX2014-11-26 12:19

    Jack did a good job of preventing a lot more damage by doing what he did. Quite a thrill all the same!

  420. #420camptramp2014-11-26 16:39

    Nothing seems to faze him , even when things go wrong he had her under control . I'll never forget the tone of his voice when he called the shop , nobody listening realized the mess things were .

  421. #421camptramp2014-11-29 18:48

    Oz Nelson CZ Nitinat Div. Swan Neva a logging contractor from Lake Cowichan had an American line loader working for CZ at Nitinat . In the mid 1970's he had a run away , Swan jumped off and got away with a hurt shoulder. not sure what model it is , but I'm thinking it's a 599.

  422. #422Blk prince2014-11-29 19:07

    I wonder where he got those pictures. I had just taken the loader up to the top of Br 38,unloaded him and was on my way down when I saw machine trying to beat me to the bottom

  423. #423Sidney432014-11-29 19:22

    OK - dumb question, how does a machine like that "run away"? Are the brakes air, or air over hydraulics? Or someone forgot to set the brakes?

  424. #424Blk prince2014-11-29 19:26

    This model of machine had a system called Jaw Clutch for traveling. It would take me 2-4hrs to explain how they worked. 2 very knowledgable guys,Camptramp and 075 could tell you the workings in a shorter version. These mishaps are investigated and results can be interesting.

  425. #4250752014-11-29 21:32

    All Americans on tracks have the same travel ,swing set up .The swingers power both the travel and swing. The swingers look like a large brake drums with brake shoes on the inside. To travel (swing) one way you apply which ever side you wish to travel(swing) to go the other way you apply the other one. The power go's threw a set of gears under the swingers ,one gear is for the vertical swing shaft the other is for the vertical travel shaft. The jaw clutch rides above these gears,makes the gear turn that shaft. You can only swing or travel not both at the same time. The vertical travel shaft goes down through the centre of the machine into the car body where through gears it connects with the horizontal travel shaft. On the either end of the shaft is another jaw clutch which is how you steer . When you want to turn the jaw clutch on that side disengages and locks into the car body and that track locks up. When you park there are a set of dogs on both sides that drop down and lock the tracks. One on each side of the jaw clutch, these are called the digging dogs as you can set one side or the other. If you set one side you can travel in one direction but not the other. On the end of shafts there is a sprocket that has a chain that goes around another sprocket at the end of the track that powers that track . On the newer machines there was brake on the idler end of the track that when applied would stop that track.Now to stop a machine with out brakes you would apply the opposite swinger and you would stop.Now several things could happen to cause you have a runaway. The jaw clutch could pop out and you have no power to your travel ,our you could blow an air line to your swingers or they could get hot from out of adjustment.Which would cause you to soil your pants. You could also break both drive chains or an shaft. The only thing you could do is drop your dogs in and if you are lucky you will stop if they don't shear off . So there you have it in a nut shell its quite simple once you have taken them apart a few times. 1920's technology .It all changed when they built the 7230's when the swing and travel went hydraulic .but the still used the same gear train and drum set up for the rest of the machine.

  426. #426Hank R2014-11-29 22:34

    I guess the long and short of it is that it not work perfect and accidents happen just not as bad as this one.

  427. #427Blk prince2014-11-29 22:49

    He did get off the lowbed started up the hill,was wanting to travel on left track,once out of gear,he could not hold it,started backwards and he decided to jump. VERY lucky

  428. #428Blk prince2014-11-29 22:55

    075,on the Crown Zellerbach site under Post 198 I have a picture of the same machine on the lowbed. Was there an American 5220?

  429. #4290752014-11-30 00:21

    Looks in a lot better shape there, glad no one was hurt . Not a 5220 but there was a 7220 . Most of them were 599's, all good machines in their day. The only real weakness in the was the undercarriage 52 grease fittings to grease every 1/2 hour of travel or 1/2 mile what ever came first if I remember right.Every thing had brass bushings except for the winch frame and swing drums .Nice smooth brakes and lots of lifting power. I liked them far more than the TL's

  430. #430Sidney432014-11-30 00:24

    Thanks for the explanation of what can go wrong. It's mechanical, therefore it can fail. Looking at the photos I was impressed the heel boom was still attached after that tumble.

  431. #431HDX2014-11-30 12:31

    075 Whenever we were in the landing and the shovel operator was greasing his tracks we would borrow the grease gun and grease the compensator bar Loved that track roller grease. Do they even have that green stringy stuff anymore Geez it would stick like poo to a blanket.

  432. #4320752014-11-30 14:03

    Luberplate is all I ever used 50 lb pails ,new pail every couple of weeks. Air grease gun would squert that stuff 50 feet on a hot day

  433. #433camptramp2014-11-30 22:50

    Sue Nelson M & B not sure where this happened , give us the details HDX . It is a Pacific P-16 Preloader .

  434. #434camptramp2014-11-30 23:01

    Sue Nelson Fletcher Challenge Caycuse Div. I believe this is the #40-124 , formerly a BCFP Malibu truck #6-245 , this truck started its life in Jervis Inlet on a logging road that dropped 4000 feet from the top landing to sea level , with grades up to 30% , 14 switch backs and a turn around . And got wrecked on an almost level piece of road .

  435. #435camptramp2014-11-30 23:06

    Sue Nelson Timberwest HBO I wasn't hauling on this part of the claim when this happened , but its the #40-73 Pacific P-16 and it happened between Caycuse and Honeymoon Bay at a call point Youbou Look Out .

  436. #436diamondtguy2014-11-30 23:40

    My brain and my gut are telling me..."I know that truck"..........Cory

  437. #437camptramp2014-11-30 23:50

    You probably built that truck or rebuilt it.

  438. #438diamondtguy2014-11-30 23:52

    I'm thinking 3412 powered....

  439. #439HDX2014-11-30 23:53

    camptramp Those are the pictures of Luke Weber's accident when she went over the bank on top of Looper Creek . Weber posted the pictures of her, some before and some after rebuild on the Pacific thread. Yes Cory she was one of the 3412 trucks -- Post 939 , 941, 944 Pacific thread. She hit hard a few times while rolling over as is evident by the pictures. When she got rebuilt she was good as new. Funny to see the trucks in the background. There was three HDX's (H281 H108 and H283) all getting cut up by Budget Steel That was the first big slaughter of equipment we saw It just went downhill from there. There was also two Madill tension skidders cut up 3 Smith sand box's (17 yard)a couple 50 & 60 ton trailers and so much other stuff. We had several Lister 2 cyl diesel generators that came off the grapple yarders (used for night shift logging) and they also got turfed into the pile NO SALVAGE ALLOWED When they finished in Franklin Yard they went down to Sarita Shop yard and completely cleaned out the boneyard. This was always Mike Murphy's spare parts, so they waited till he was gone, then had their way with all his stuff!!! Cut up two complete Madill 90 ft towers on tracks and a couple American log Loaders Several more trucks H192 H229 H193 and 5 50 ton trailers as well as a couple boom boats I took pictures of all this and sent them to RAY SMITH the CEO of M&B along with a letter with pictures explaining the value of surplus equipment He sent me a return letter that said NICE STORY VERY INTERESTING FACTS This matter is a regional affair and will be handled at that level !!!! Too bad there was not more like Mike around back then Things might have turned out differently.

  440. #440HDX2014-11-30 23:59

    camptramp Did the shop rebuild 6-245 again after that accident I for some reason thought they did fix her up again!!!

  441. #441diamondtguy2014-12-01 00:08

    That's kind of a sad story HDX.....I did notice the incomplete trucks sitting in the background.

  442. #442camptramp2014-12-01 01:13

    The wreck was brought over to Gordon River shop after the amalgamation of Caycuse and Renfrew Div. that Created HBO in 1992 it sat out behind Gordon River Shop for awhile . Then taken inside and repaired . A busy time for the shop crew around that time . The #40-73 a wide track P-16 Pacific was brought to Gordon River on a lowbed basically a cab and frame then rebuilt . The #40-91 and #40-96 P-16 Pacific's with 8 preload trailers that needed work were sitting behind the shop . the #40-124 was taken off the log haul when Highway logging trucks were replacing the off highway trucks and made into a line horse .

  443. #443skadill2014-12-01 11:50

    Steve,it does always sting a bit(bunch) to hear of the giants getting torched down to car size pieces.Do you still have any of those 'last moment' pictures you could share on the 'rust' thread.They tell their own odd story and are a real part of the whole cycle,thanks.

  444. #444HDX2014-12-01 21:29

    skadill Yes you bet What thread do you want them on? Will post when I get time but be assured it will be worth the wait!

  445. #445skadill2014-12-02 01:20

    Any additions to the bc left to rust is a good place for any last seen glimpses of iron I'd figure.Boneyard pics are like an amusement park

  446. #446HDX2014-12-02 22:29

    OK skadill will start posting asap. Some were never returned from head office when I sent them over there but I have a lot of pretty interesting ones that will tell the tale

  447. #447camptramp2014-12-03 22:18

    Oz Nelson When a logging truck at Burns Lake B.C. crosses the CN Rail Road tracks at Telkwa Sub right in from of a freight train , the out come isn't pretty .

  448. #448camptramp2014-12-03 22:20

    Oz Nelson

  449. #449camptramp2014-12-03 22:22

    Oz Nelson

  450. #450dirty4fun2014-12-03 22:25

    Wow great pictures from the engineers view of a wreck.

  451. #451camptramp2014-12-03 23:00

    Oz Nelson Logging Truck crash on Inland Highway . Box truck ran red light .

  452. #452camptramp2014-12-03 23:02

    OZ Nelson

  453. #453camptramp2014-12-03 23:52

    Oz Nelson Teal Jones HBO IPL Grapple Yarder broke guyline Blake Wilson ran other Grapple Yarder to pull 1st Grapple Yarder up to road .

  454. #454camptramp2014-12-03 23:55

    Oz Nelson , By the looks of these pictures Bake Wilson probably took them .

  455. #455camptramp2014-12-04 00:32

    Oz Nelson Munns Lumber ,The P-16 Pacific was formerly Timberwest HBO #40-96 , the Madill 075 Super Snorkel was formerly Timberwest HBO #54-85 , such a shame Ernie Harrison was the first operator on it , one of the easiest guys on equipment I know . The suspension under lowbed was getting badly worn , lowbed tracked over at least two feet and dumped Madill into Fleet Creek .

  456. #456camptramp2014-12-04 00:34

    Oz Nelson

  457. #457camptramp2014-12-04 00:36

    Oz Nelson

  458. #458HDX2014-12-04 20:06

    camptramp This sure looks like H119 before she got a fixed up in the T/W manner. What do you think??? The ramps on the tail frame have not yet been widend in the picture but the SPR570 rear diffs stand out We will get Blkprince on the job here

  459. #459camptramp2014-12-04 20:44

    I know for sure the truck pictured in posting #456 is the #40-96 I use to drive it , it had a Signature 600 Cummins for power . I drove it at TW HBO before I went back on highway trucks steady . The drivers side door vent window had a NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series decal in it . I also drove it a couple of times at Munns Lumber for lowbed moves prior to this incident .

  460. #460HDX2014-12-04 21:02

    camptramp No I didn't mean this is NOT 40-96 I said DO YOU THINK THAT IT IS NOW H119???

  461. #461camptramp2014-12-04 21:53

    Check left front bumper for a major dent , unless bumper has been replaced the dent will be there . I'll explain how it got there over coffee sometime . It involved the left front corner of Hayes's lowbed , its a good one . Also the hood will be a little rough from pushing lowbed with Madill 075 one time on old road that hadn't been used in years , snorkel sticking out over back of lowbed breaking off limbs , that were siding down side guylines dropping on hood .

  462. #462Blk prince2014-12-04 22:06

    HDX, I am puzzled as to why the front bumper has been extende under the rad. Nothing at Nitinat had this nor did the original units at Nan. Lakes. Is there any kind of a pump under there. If so,the I believe there was a number change from CZ toCz and BCFP joint venture.

  463. #463Blk prince2014-12-04 22:08

    Only one driver is around from the Lakes who got one of these trucks brand new. Jack got the 40-91 so I will inquire as to whether or not he has pictures.

  464. #464HDX2014-12-04 22:25

    Ok Sounds great Yes camptramp I will get as many pics as I can of these old girls . I always look for the telltale dents that will hold a lot of stories

  465. #465HDX2014-12-04 22:27

    We just ended up with the Hayes Forest lowbed with the 1600X25 tires .

  466. #466camptramp2014-12-04 22:33

    Truck in picture is an ex Nanaimo Lakes truck , when it arrived at Gordon River it had an extension welded to the front bumper made of what looked like rail road rail it was cut off . There is an oil cooler mounted under the front bumper , the plate under the front bumper is to protect it .

  467. #467camptramp2014-12-04 22:39

    Is it the lowbed that was used in the Renfrew / HBO area if so check the left outside rail , if its pushed back far enough that there's been a notch cut for the tires on the front axle to clear , I know all about it .

  468. #468camptramp2014-12-04 22:53

    Do'es that H-119 have a Red Signature 600 Cummins or a 60 Series Detroit for power . The reason I ask is the #40-90 had a twin turbo V12-71 , the #40-91 was repowered with a Series 60 Detroit , the #40-96 was repowered with a Signature 600 Cummin also the #40-100 was repowered with a Signature 600 Cummins . The #40-100 was the only one of the 4 trucks that had a 2 speed spliter box in the drive line . It stayed at Nanaimo Lakes and went to the auction with Ted Leroy's equipment .

  469. #469dirty4fun2014-12-05 04:12

    You guys really amaze me on knowing what trucks were whose and their life story. I have to keep going back and forth looking at the pictures to see the points you have brought up. Man I enjoy it all!

  470. #470HDX2014-12-05 11:01

    H119 has the 60 series. The 40-100 is the missing truck that Blkprince was wondering about I think there was the two of them One is down in Sarita awaiting a lowbed ride to Chemainus Shop for rebuild. She was one of the Crown NitNat trucks Bill Browns (60 series) H16. I have to dig up the pictures I took of Leroy's P16 unit #H17 because it was sold at the R/B auction in Chemainus as a residue truck Russell & Lilly bought her for the rear diffs (SPR 570's) Seems to me she went really cheap around 5 grand Engine was BO had a Cummins in her I think Will see when I find the pictures. IPL bought an HDX some years ago with 46-40 rears in her 12X24 tires Nice clean truck as a fire tanker She was bought new by Al Nelson from down your way. She goes out into the bush every fire season and does fine Well as fate would have it I was up at a scrap yard up island and Lyle had told me about a trailer for one of the tankers being there so I checked it out Sure enough it is the trailer for the Nelson truck! No tires on her but still she is a 36 ton Hayes conventional trailer. Funny what shows up from time to time. Speaking of such things You guys down that way have to guard those LONG TOM's while they are still in one piece They are a real piece of BCFP history There is still 4 of them down there.

  471. #471camptramp2014-12-05 11:21

    I'm pretty certain the #H119 is the Ex CZ/ Timberwest #40-91 it was still at HBO when I retired , in IPL's possession , it would have been moved to Franklin area with the red st of IPL's equipment .

  472. #472camptramp2014-12-07 22:30

    I ran into a fellow that I believe told me Lily & Russel bought the #40-90 (had a blown up twin-turbo V12-71 in it) and #40-96 at the auction 2008 Chemainus .

  473. #473camptramp2014-12-07 22:42

    Oz Nelson I think we've seen this grapple yarder before these might be from different angle .

  474. #474camptramp2014-12-07 23:05

    Oz Nelson , Hayes Forest is the decal on the machine but I'm not sure when it happened . It is on Sarita River DLS .

  475. #475camptramp2014-12-07 23:08

    Oz Nelson more of above .

  476. #476Sidney432014-12-07 23:08

    Can't say as I have seen that grapple yarder before. Seems like I would remember a scene like that.

  477. #477seriouswork2014-12-08 21:55

    Engine fire, or something else? Looks like that machine is done for.

  478. #478Hank R2014-12-08 23:13

    I would think a oil line broke and sprayed oil on hot exhaust.

  479. #479seriouswork2014-12-08 23:20

    Oh ok, that would definitely explain it. Hank R-->Hank Rabe?

  480. #480camptramp2014-12-08 23:41

    A built in fire extinguisher system would have done wonders , at least the tires and forks are salvageable .

  481. #481seriouswork2014-12-08 23:51

    Yeah, exactly. One of those features that some might not consider until it's too late. But the tires look completely untouched from those pictures.

  482. #482ben46a2014-12-09 18:32

    Fire suppresion equipment will rarely save the equipment its on. Its primary use is to give the operator time to get off safely.

  483. #483HDX2014-12-09 21:54

    Log Stackers working around a high volume Dryland sort will over time collect a lot of fine bark dust powder from logs etc and it collects around the back of the machine and the engine compartment. Most of the guys try and keep these areas washed out with the fire hose situated at the sort. However sometimes something else will trigger a spark and the fan just does that Fans the fire and by the time the operator sees it TOO LATE every couple years one will go up in flames Like ben46a said at least the operator can get off. We lost one early this year same thing but she burnt to a crisp Only thing salvageable was the grapple

  484. #484Blk prince2014-12-21 15:39

    HDX, can you go back to post #374 . On the left is a trailer backed up to the shop. R R trailer stake bent. Is this from pushing loads off? Does stake hit a brow log as loads is pushed?

  485. #485HDX2014-12-21 19:04

    Yes always the R/H stakes take the brunt of the load being pushed off These were stakes that were all beefed up at the Hayes Forest shop in Duncan. Now they bend further up right were the reinforcing stops. This was done because the stakes use to break off just below the eye. When we were M&B we had 988 Cat's pushing the loads off so it went very well because they could really push. Then HFS used 960's because they were a cheaper machine, and so does IPL so what happens is they don't have the traction or just go into a converter stall on a good push and the result is logs everywhere. They drop down between the truck and the trailer and some land on the stakes that are already jammed into the deck More times than not the cat log loader on the sort has to come over and pick the mess apart ,broken logs, bent stakes That pretty well says it all. Most of the drivers kind of like the stakes bent in like that because you cant wood the p##s out of the truck, with it bent in like that the loader runs out of room. We break a conventional truck bunk off at least every couple weeks-- Rips the pin right out of the turn table !!!

  486. #486diamondtguy2014-12-21 20:32

    The pin gets sheared off from pushing the load off ????......

  487. #487Hank R2014-12-21 22:12

    Here in Princeton with going to cut to length (short logs) the Wagner does a lot of damage to the stakes, almost every week or two.

  488. #488HDX2014-12-21 22:39

    Not exactly, On a Conventional truck the truck turntable is 8 feet wide. The truck/trailer bunks are 15 feet wide! The bunk rollers are welded to the truck bunk so they can ride on the turntable to support each side of the bunk when loaded, These bear some of the weight of the load and support the bunk. They roll along on top of the turn table when the truck turns going around corners. From the center point of the bunk to the outside of the bunk rollers is 4 feet. That leaves 3 1/2 feet of bunk out there with no weight bearing support under it! The same applies to the trailer bolster, Width there is almost same, When the load is being pushed off the truck and trailer the weight of the load transfers from both sides to all on one side as it comes off the truck. There is two big ramps that the load lands on BUT there is a drop of anywhere from 12 to 20 inches in height from the truck/trailer bunks to the ramp height In other words the majority of the weight of the load is on only one side of the truck/trailer bunk. When this happens all that weight tends to lift the drivers side up and this is where the truck bunk center pin gets pulled up and out of the truck bolster. On more than one P16 Pre-Load truck it actually pulls the king pin right out of the bottom of the 60 Ton Pacific trailer. My rear deck has a twist in it from where the stake strap toggle got caught after it was tripped to dump the load and it hung up. Almost rolled the truck on its side till the strap (1 1/4 inch cable) broke. Does this explain things OK I can post pictures of some of these disasters if you want. Life was so good when we were dumping at the "A" frame dumps. No drama No damage OH but for the good old days!

  489. #489Blk prince2014-12-21 22:43

    No drama until load shows up with 17' peaker then it is interesting. Lol

  490. #490HDX2014-12-21 22:47

    Funny you should come up with that one LOL. Got more pics to post over the holidays for entertainment on here.

  491. #491diamondtguy2014-12-21 22:50

    I can picture it perfectly...and see the problem...Thanks...

  492. #492dirty4fun2014-12-22 10:13

    Hurry up holidays so I can see the pictures that you have to share with us HDX.

  493. #493Hank R2014-12-22 12:10

    With no snow to blow here need pictures to keep me busy.

  494. #494dirty4fun2014-12-22 19:13

    No snow here either, I am in Florida seeing my sister for Christmas. Oh yeah I brought tools, they always seem to have something waiting for me. Also two neighbors have some things to be done. It isn't to bad as I brought my motorcycle along and will get to do some riding, in the warm weather. Got here yesterday and have two items crossed off the honey do list, so far.

  495. #495Blk prince2014-12-22 19:59

    Hello Jim,you have covered many miles this year. Did you trailer your bike to Fla. or put in back of truck. Surely you did not ride it.

  496. #496dirty4fun2014-12-23 08:53

    I have done a lot of traveling thou most of it was in a short time frame. I am hoping to change that as I am trying no going to cut back on working, and do more enjoyable things. I did put the bike in my enclosed trailer, it would of been possible to ride. The temperature have been in the mid 40's for a few days. I wanted to bring more than a few clothes for a couple months stay. That and my sister has a bunch of jobs for me to do as well as a couple of her neighbors. As she says oh and don't forget to bring some tools with you. Which is okay I need a little something to do.

  497. #497camptramp2015-01-01 01:11

    Oz Nelson , Ted Leroy Trucking , Beaver Cove , I guess you would say they swam away from this one . Ted Leroy Trucking loaded a barge of equipment at Beaver Cove during the summer of 2007 . I'm don't claim to be an expert on loading barges , but this one doesn't have a lot of free board , as it was being towed down Johnstone Straits it healed part way over dumping most of the equipment over the side .

  498. #498camptramp2015-01-01 01:28

    Oz Nelson , Munns Lumber , Mesachie Lake HBO Loading with Processor up Cottonwood Cr. , and 804 in the weeds at bottom of Maid Lake M/L .

  499. #499dirty4fun2015-01-01 05:14

    camptramp, great picture of the barge loaded and unloaded. What a way to loose so much equipment, even if it was insured it would take a lot of time to get replacement equipment.

  500. #500clintm2015-01-01 06:47

    How often does that happen

  501. #501camptramp2015-01-01 14:42

    Good question , barge possibly over loaded , the condition of barge was questionable , that incident and a couple other contributing factors are the reason Ted Leroy Trucking is no longer around . Its a shame as they were another good long time contractor to get what seemed like the chance of a life time with Timberwest and Island Timberlands , only to turn into a night mare .

  502. #502Hank R2015-01-01 14:46

    It is a shame that some times the goods guys seem to have all the bad luck.

  503. #503Vigilant2015-01-01 16:47

    Can anyone add some info on that landing in Post 498? I believe that was one stop shown on the video of the Aurora Explorer. It appears to be a large, modern floating camp. If only I were not so old, fat and bald........

  504. #504JDOFMEMI2015-01-01 19:04

    I seen an episode on History, or one of the other similar channels, of the recovery of the fuel truck from that incident. It was pretty interesting

  505. #505camptramp2015-01-01 23:22

    Oz Nelson , Canoe Creek Logging , New Hazelton B.C. check out the guyline stump , might be a contributing factor to this mishap .

  506. #506camptramp2015-01-01 23:24

    More

  507. #507camptramp2015-01-01 23:26

    More

  508. #508camptramp2015-01-01 23:28

    More

  509. #509camptramp2015-01-01 23:30

    More

  510. #510camptramp2015-01-01 23:32

    More

  511. #511camptramp2015-01-01 23:34

    More

  512. #512camptramp2015-01-01 23:36

    More

  513. #513camptramp2015-01-02 00:05

    Oz Nelson Pictures of a wrecked Western Star at P&R Western Star's yard at Duncan B.C. , Island Fiber logging truck was wrecked at the Upper Harris Cr. bridge on the Old Harris Cr. M/L .

  514. #514camptramp2015-01-02 00:07

    More

  515. #515camptramp2015-01-02 00:09

    More

  516. #516Vigilant2015-01-02 00:10

    ^^^ Looks as though the driver lived. Hopefully.

  517. #517HDX2015-01-02 11:42

    The school bus in the background is ringin bells!!!!!!!!

  518. #518mitch5042015-01-02 22:26

    In post #513, how is that chain connected to the cable?

  519. #5190752015-01-02 22:38

    It is a pass chain you wrap it around the line and hook the end back on to chain that leads to the grapple. And it chokes the line ,we use it all the time when pulling line with another line or pickup. IE pulling the guyline out with the strawline

  520. #520camptramp2015-01-03 03:06

    Its holding , but something about it doesn't look right , some day's its better to be lucky than good . lol

  521. #521dirty4fun2015-01-03 05:07

    When I saw the yarder laying there I wondered how they would get it stood back up. Then the next set of pictures pretty much told the rest of the story. Amazing to see such a beast laying over, then brought back up by very little equipment. Great set of pictures showing so much, thanks.

  522. #522TorkelH2015-01-03 07:20

    Canoe Creek 120 Hello, Happy New Year to all! Camptramp, when did the accident with the Canoe Creek 120 happen? Hope everything went well with operator. I was up in Terrace visiting them summer 2009, very friendly and hard working people. This is Canoe Creek's second 120, the first one was in the winter picture on the Madill sales brochure.

  523. #523camptramp2015-01-03 11:33

    Not sure TorkelH these pictures were sent to me .

  524. #524RCP572015-01-03 12:21

    Bet you can't wait until Monday! Sorry, I had to...

  525. #525Hank R2015-01-03 12:57

    Wonder if they buffed it out?:beatsme

  526. #526Blk prince2015-01-04 20:26

    Camptramp. Happy New Tear. Did you know about the Star in 514,5,6. It is a clean looking unit. Do you know anything or only Oz?

  527. #527camptramp2015-01-04 23:02

    Happy New Year Blk prince , that happened a couple of years ago , after I had retired from hauling logs in that part of the country . But Island Fiber do appear to keep their equipment in good shape. So no I don't know the particulars on that wreck .

  528. #528camptramp2015-01-05 00:22

    Oz Nelson Another mishap on the Old Hillcrest M/L about 15 KM out of Mesachie Lake . This truck hauled Slate Rock out of K2's quarry on the Red Creek M/L .

  529. #529camptramp2015-01-05 00:24

    More

  530. #530Len Burton2015-01-05 03:09

    Bear Creek.

  531. #531mitch5042015-01-05 21:09

    Going back to that chain to cable hookup in post 513: the only passing chain I find on the net is chain with wide enough links so the links can pass each other and not tangle, but I only find it in little sizes. I sure would like to know how that is done, because being able to hook a chain in the middle of a cable sure would be handy sometimes.

  532. #5320752015-01-05 21:26

    All a pass chain is a chain about 4 or 5 feet long with a ring in one end and a open hook on the other . Most chains are 3/8 inch or bigger. You take the end with the hook on it and wrap it around the line 4 to 7 times. Away from the direction of pull leaving 4 or 6 inch's of slack at the hook end. You then take the ring end of the chain and pull it up and hook the hook over the ring end of chain and pull it tight. Then you take the ring and hook it to what ever you are going to pull with . Easy as pie . If I remember and its not raining crazy tomorrow will take a picture .

  533. #533dunwurken2015-01-05 21:35

    A west coast logger wouldn't be caught without a passline chain. It is just regular chain 6 ft long. I'm not sure but the links are probably 3/8" material. One one end is a ring about 6 inches in diameter and a slip hook on the other. To use it the ring end is what is pulled on whether a yarder, cat or pickup. The other end is wrapped 3-4 times away from the direction of pull then the slip hook is simply hooked back into the chain ahead of the wraps. I have never seen one slip. I have seem the chain break but the wraps never slip.

  534. #534dunwurken2015-01-05 21:39

    075, I guess we double posted. I've never wrapped more than 4 times and never had one slip. Maybe just lucky. A picture would sure be worth a thousand words.

  535. #5350752015-01-05 21:48

    Greasy Import line ,ugh but your right 4 times usually works .

  536. #536mitch5042015-01-06 21:10

    Thanks guys, I think I've got it, but a picture would be great. I've swamp logged(cable skidder), worked heavy wreckers (currently own a medium duty one), and done a lot of other stuff, but never heard of this. I own a couple of chains like that, I'm going to give it a try.

  537. #5370752015-01-08 00:21

    Didn't rain today

  538. #538kiwi450x2015-01-08 04:44

    We use pass chains regularly here too, but I don't do it quite like that. I agree about the 4 wraps or more bit (I tend to do 5 or 6 for luck...) but I just bring the loose end of the chain back to the other end and put a couple of half hitches in it. As it happens I used the pass chain to send the skyline out yesterday but I didn't have my phone in my pocket to take a pic, although I remembered this thread as I was doing it...

  539. #539HDX2015-01-08 22:45

    Holy Cow 075 That is big line for a tag line. Really nice clean setup for the "D" to the tag-chain

  540. #540Paul L2015-01-08 23:03

    Ha 075, what is the direction of pull in your pic? It looks like if you pull the rope out the hook is so wide it could full/bounce off. I've used pass chains the same way as kiwi450x, but if you pull the wrong way it can slip before it gets a load on.

  541. #5410752015-01-08 23:16

    Paul the pull would be away from the grapple or away from the hook, it is only the way it is for show . HDX 250 feet of 3/4 inch just changed it out in the morning. Lasts a lot longer than smaller stuff get about two months or more out of it if I upend it once. Had a foreman who was cheap and we tried to use old 1", kept jumping the tag drum with 200 feet, that's when we went back to 3/4". The only thing about the 250 foot coils is the rigging rats keep stealing it for chokers . Fixed them though we put them up on top of a seacan can only get at them with a fork lift lol.

  542. #542freefallin2015-01-23 10:54

    And then it snowed....

  543. #543Sidney432015-01-25 00:18

    freefallin - could you tell us what we are looking at in the pictures you posted and where it happened?

  544. #544camptramp2015-02-13 23:18

    Bruce W. , Timberwest H.B.O. A Madill 3800 Hoe Chucker that didn't get far off the road .

  545. #545camptramp2015-02-13 23:24

    Bruce W. Timberwest HBO Hoe Chucker didn' t get far off road , Tim McGonigle and Bruce Wilson in pictures .

  546. #546hoechucker2015-02-14 20:40

    I hate it when that happens.but at least it makes me feel a little better about the couple times I've fell down while out shoveling

  547. #54772HDX2015-02-14 23:20

    We started running 5/8 swaged on the tag for our 7230. You get about another 100ft on the drum. The operator doesn't like the D link though and opts to do grapple knots

  548. #548camptramp2015-02-15 00:09

    Bruce W. An Excavator roll over some wheres up the coast of B.C.

  549. #549camptramp2015-02-15 00:11

    Bruce W. more

  550. #550mitch5042015-02-15 00:33

    Did the excavator operator live?

  551. #5510752015-02-15 01:04

    Tag is a little faster with more line and using grapple knots it eats up line as the knot wears out. I don't like the way the tag comes back at the cab when the knot breaks and it always happens when it is raining side ways. If you put lots of line on the drum and don't pull it right off it always get chewed up from not spooling and blows a strand or two so you can never up end it .I never use to like tag chains either but it helps open the grapple so I have learned to live with it. No way is better than the other it is just what you are used to using and us old guys hate change.

  552. #552camptramp2015-02-15 01:12

    Don't know much about it got pictures from a friend , I hope he could jump into the clear .

  553. #553Vigilant2015-02-15 02:04

    If he didn't bail, I doubt that he could have opened the cab door to escape after it bottomed out.

  554. #554Wide road rob2015-02-15 10:01

    1982 Fred Moe logging truck, Queets Ridge, WA The truck driver realized the brakes were faulty and that he could not make the sharp corner so he steered the truck into the dirt bank and jumped, saving himself and the truck from a worst fate. The accident occurred in 1982 up Queets Ridge, WA. As I recall, down around the corner there was a bridge, and that this road intersected with the road to the Clearwater Honor Camp.

  555. #5550752015-02-15 10:42

    If that is the one I think it is he got caught in a slide. He got banged up pretty good but lived .

  556. #556camptramp2015-02-16 00:23

    Bruce W . Munns Lumber Don't know how the tree top ended up through the windshield but it sure messed up the pickup .

  557. #557camptramp2015-02-16 00:25

    Bruce W . Munns Lumber , more .

  558. #558camptramp2015-02-16 23:54

    Bruce W. Hayes Forest Service .

  559. #559camptramp2015-02-16 23:56

    Bruce W. more Hayes

  560. #560camptramp2015-02-16 23:58

    Bruce W. more Hayes .

  561. #561camptramp2015-02-17 00:01

    Bruce W. more Hayes .

  562. #562kiwi450x2015-02-17 02:13

    I reckon that's pretty good going for the line loader to stand the swinger back up like that. As an aside, the broken head made an interesting pattern in the pick up windscreen. Wouldn't wanna see that the hard way though...

  563. #563dirty4fun2015-02-17 04:13

    I was amazed to see the super snorkel standing the yarder back up, also. The booms on them don't look like they are built that heavy. Like most things they don't take much pressure side pressure. I see used some logs to support and spread the loaded weight, tilted him back to help with the lift. Sure neat to see what can be done, with a minimum of equipment and man power. Those rocks kept him from going on over, but sure raise havoc with the cab.

  564. #564camptramp2015-02-18 23:03

    Oz Nelson a PCB pickup and a PCB HDX Hayes met head on on Lacy Cr. bridge on Caycuse M/L

  565. #565mitch5042015-02-18 23:27

    Ya know, if I was driving a p'up and realized I was about to go head on with that, I'd be dead of fear before we hit.

  566. #566camptramp2015-03-05 23:31

    Bruce W. Munns Lumber , Truck mis hap on Shawnigan Lake Cobble Hill Rd.

  567. #567camptramp2015-03-05 23:33

    Bruce W. Munns Lumber

  568. #568camptramp2015-03-05 23:35

    Bruce W. Munns Lumber

  569. #569Vigilant2015-03-06 13:33

    Just curious. Did they determine the cause of that upset? My gut feeling is an oncoming vehicle passing in a curve.

  570. #570John C.2015-03-06 20:09

    Looking at those pickups, I'd have greased the seat and then died of fright.

  571. #571camptramp2015-03-06 22:20

    That isn't the first logging truck to start into that corner on the right hand side of road and end up on the left shoulder on its side . Its an "S" corner that's sharp coming out of it , the weight of the load shifts to the right , then shifts to the left as you exit the second corner , if your a little quick the momentum carries you over to the left shoulder and rearranges the drivers side mirror . The truck configuration of a TANDEM Tractor , a JEEP followed by a TRIAXLE Trailer is about the most unstable combination of axles under a logging truck I have ever driven . The pictures prove my theory .

  572. #572Murk1002015-04-19 10:54

    Bill Forester collection, 123 Fletcher Sanspit. 044 #60082

  573. #5730752015-04-19 12:13

    I am beginning to think that is natural position of those smaller Madills. You see so many pictures of them on their sides and every one I know who has worked on one has seen it flop once or twice

  574. #574Murk1002015-04-25 23:49

    044s are famous for fires under the drums, bark and dust piles up under the drums. I would think this is what happened with these two.

  575. #575camptramp2015-07-09 00:30

    Rob N. Island Pacific Logging HBO Div. 2011

  576. #576camptramp2015-07-09 00:41

    Rob N. ARLA Holding's , When things go wrong things happen in a hurry . lost air due to broken "Glade Hand" Walbran 900 .

  577. #577JDOFMEMI2015-07-09 03:09

    That looks like a lucky trucker there that things did not go much worse than that. It looks like the logs bound up against the booster axle and stopped it from going the rest of the way over.

  578. #578Blk prince2015-08-14 20:56

    I have pics. Of 980 unloading a hog barge at Duke Point. Loader on its side on rocks. As soon as wife gets home I will post. Operator has bruises and bumps but ok

  579. #579Deere500a2015-08-14 21:22

    Post #576 must be one of those Aussie made Western Stars

  580. #580skadill2015-08-20 22:36

    Volvo Someone flopped one of mine over.It will survive,engine cyls filled with oil while sitting,but has been purged,just banging stuff back together now.

  581. #581LoggerSS2015-08-29 18:14

    You know what happens next and what I really love? Someone from the government who has never worked in the bush shows up to tell everyone what they were doing wrong. But more importantly, there is a new ideological shift in thinking in the industry today. Governments, who have become the handmaidens of industry, claim that "all accidents are preventable". In other words, there is a shift of responsibly for accidents from the companies, industry, and government to the worker. Hindsight is perfect, but if we had to assess everything we do, nothing would get done. And if we had to stop to ensure there was no danger at all in anything we do, we wouldn't even get out of bed in the morning for fear of stubbing our toe. This thinking is ideologically driven and is utter rubbish. We need to stop it in its tracks.

  582. #582camptramp2015-09-07 10:46

    Oz N. , Not sure where this happened .

  583. #583HDX2015-09-07 11:19

    Looper 100 Just as you start in Roseander Mainline you turn left and go up the hill. Luke Weber was driving Coming out loaded real sharp right hand corner and the road let go. For a big guy he got pretty beat up in there but he came right back. This was one of the "Super Trucks" V12 Cat She went to the International Dealership in Nanaimo and was fixed up and put right back into service. When Luke retired the decision was made to have her rebuilt and updated to become the new Franklin Low Bed truck Luke handed her over to Gary Cathers (another very capable and good driver) She was lowbedded down to Nanaimo to Inland Kenworth and came back almost as a new truck It was unbelievable what those mechanics could do down there. Carl Breidenbach was the Lowbed driver up till he retired (same time as luke) and his H92 became a spare truck and was taken out from under the lowbed. Gary went on pulling the lowbed for a number of years then went into the dispatch shack as our dispatcher. Not long after this things fell apart and the whole outfit was sold to Hayes Forest Services from Duncan. They wanted nothing to do with the three Queens and they were dumped onto the market like they were junk. If you knew how cheap these trucks were unloaded for you would fall down It was then we lost track of them till Hank found them at Coast Powertrain Sad ending for 3 old girls. But when you think about it the whole forest industry now is like that. We have a member on here "Weber" whos dad is Luke. He shared photos of old H94 on here also Also of note This truck is up in northern Alberta now DiamondT guy shared a couple pics of her up there. A fellow in Washington state has H92 and H93 so all three are still around I think H92 is a residue truck for now and H93 is back on the road being used as a heavy equipment mover in Washington and Alaska.

  584. #584fixou8122015-09-07 21:21

    Love that Old School Stuff! Keep up the Good stuff!

  585. #585Vigilant2015-09-07 21:31

    Please excuse the dumb question. What outfit did Hayes Forest Services buy out?

  586. #586HDX2015-09-07 22:10

    The Franklin River Division Operation. We were always a MacMillan & Bloedel Camp (Operation) Started in 1934 -- In 2001 MacMillan & Bloedel was taken over by Weyerhaeuser Management and shareholders. It was a hostile take over that completely caught everybody off guard. All were told DONT WORRY WE WONT CHANGE ANYTHING FOR THREE YEARS. Then right to the day in year four we were sold. There was a huge amount of animosity from the M&B staff and employees. It was not just the Franklin Crew that this happened to-- it was ALL M&B plants and Operations. This was the beginning of the disassembly of the BC Forest Industry as we all knew it While this was happening to us at M&B it was also happening to BCFP/CrownZ that had become Fletcher Challenge. Now the big three were no more and the race to the bottom started. It did not have to happen like it did. Sorry for the rant Vigilant but that is who and what and why. We were lucky because the Franklin survivors (crew) ended up with a darn good owner after HFS were dismissed. In their defence HFS was a good outfit to work for. Their equipment was probably the best you could find or operate in the bush at that time and if you did your job you were left alone. They treated me very well and really took a shine to H17 so it was all good I guess. One thing I did was to prevent management from ever putting a weyco decal on the doors of H17. That is why in some earlier pictures of her when she was red and white there is NO DECAL on the door. The shop was instructed to remove ALL M&B logos from ALL equipment post haste. All M&B material was to be thrown out and or burned IT WAS NO MORE and we had better embrace the future !!

  587. #587diamondtguy2015-09-07 23:52

    To be direct......That **** just makes me cringe..

  588. #5880752015-11-17 20:46

    Dodging a Pothole

  589. #589mitch5042015-11-17 21:44

    That must have been some pothole

  590. #590camptramp2015-11-17 22:28

    Toby Hird , Sooke River Logging , 1963 . Toby H. as a relatively new and inexperienced Log Truck Driver was sent out to the woods with a truck he wasn't familiar with . The B61 Mack was equipped with a "Lear (electric) Retarder" and was not set up with water on the brakes . The reason the regular driver was away is because he was having issues with the Lear Retarder , and wouldn't drive it until the retarder was fixed . When things went wrong Toby Bailed out of it . The Sooke River M/L had a hill and switch back that was well known , I've never been down it , but I've heard of it . By the time I worked in the area , it had been by passed .

  591. #591HDX2015-11-17 23:45

    075 Sure looks 850'ish Was it the trailer that took her in?? mitch504 Soft shoulders and if you try to dodge a series of pot holes it is very easy to get pulled off the beaten track. It happens so fast you usually don't have time to think about it. The hardest part of that is actually having to call the dispatcher and tell him that you might have a problem!

  592. #592HD Mech2015-11-18 05:51

    Good time to grease it though

  593. #5930752015-11-18 22:39

    849. HDX it was one pot hole with a rock in it , and he missed it. He has quit driving after this incident (Monday by the way ) 68 years old, and he's just not into it any more after selling the trucks .

  594. #594camptramp2015-11-19 09:35

    With 15-16 foot bunks damage to truck is probably minimal . Damage to pride and pulled muscle's far greater , helluva way to end a driving career . A month ago one could probably have been able to move over to edge of road shoulder , with all the rain we've had lately , its gotten pretty soft . When things go wrong , it happens in a hurry .

  595. #595HDX2015-11-19 23:11

    Im sorry to hear he pulled the pin Ray Not the way for a driver to leave. I can see his point about just not being into it anymore. Industry is doing it to itself and he is just another statistic. There was a time and we all remember it when you threw the load off pulled the truck out reloaded it and got on with the job of hauling logs NOW we must investigate and come up with findings that will explain what the problem was that caused such a horrific accident and just who was to blame. Well we need more suits to investigate, and those people with the shiny new Hi vis vests and shiny hard hats that are always around incidents like this taking pictures with their digital camera's and pressed pants all talking in hushed tones. Remember when on the top of an accident investigation form it said "Cause and Remedy" NOT "Blame" HHMMM wonder what ever happened to them. When you cross paths with him next time Ray Tell him Thank You for all his years of service in the industry.

  596. #596HDX2015-11-19 23:14

    OH by the way I did notice a rather large oil pan in the tranny area LOL

  597. #5970752015-11-20 22:50

    Smitty will be just fine he really didn't want to be there any how. They just kept dragging him out of semi retirement to drive just for a day or two. And I threw that last picture in just to see if you were paying attention. And you were lol

  598. #598Blk prince2015-11-21 21:47

    075,did you spend today on lowbed and picking up the 849?

  599. #5990752015-11-22 11:08

    No just ran the rubber tired 075 down to it had it back on its wheels in a 1/2 hour and they they towed it out of the way. Our low bed trucks are both down one with a dead V12 71. And the other just has been rebuilt .But can't get the new wheel wedges for the 125 rears. Must be custom made

  600. #600Blk prince2015-11-22 11:37

    Thanks for update

  601. #601HDX2015-11-22 22:22

    075 We have a couple SPR 570's in trucks (down to only one now) and cant get anything for parts now Brake drums are 2,000 bones apiece and you have to pay for a run of 50. They wont cast any less. With the 121,s we cant get tubes or flaps anymore. Bridgestone and Michelin have both stopped making them. We HAD a couple more P16's with SPR's in them but just sold them to buy more little trucks. Seems western fp is bound and determined to get rid of all big trucks !!! Have to laugh because it sure bodes well in my favor, but we all saw what happened over the last 20 years with getting rid of the big ones. I think we have maybe one more good garage sale left and that will pretty well do it!

  602. #602camptramp2015-12-04 22:40

    Born2clearcut 6280 Cypress Grapple Yarder , working on North Island . Think its in TMAR getting fixed . They were using Pressed Knobs on end of Guyline's with Choker Bell's to choke Guyline Stump . One Pressed Knob pulled off end of Guyline Cable . The machine was going over bank , until Second Guyline came up tight , and caused the machine to swing around on to road . Operator got off with cut's and bruise's .

  603. #603winterax2016-02-13 15:24

    Saved the grill anyways. No injuries to the driver

  604. #604Hank R2016-02-13 16:35

    Could of been a whole lot worse .

  605. #605winterax2016-03-03 23:00

    No corks will do it every time

  606. #606dirty4fun2016-03-04 04:12

    Look like it must of been time for a nap. Sitting on level ground with no large logs, must of been nap time!

  607. #607winterax2016-03-04 12:38

    this one shows the slope a little better. Truck got hung up in the loop, loader tried walking around to lift him off , didn't realize the slope was there ( it was night ), started to slide and went over.

  608. #608Birken Vogt2016-03-04 20:20

    Slope never looks as bad in photos as when you are (trying to) walk on it....

  609. #609JDOFMEMI2016-03-11 13:06

    So I came across this picture on the net , and wanted to see what feedback there is. Is it real, photoshop, or a staged scene for a movie ? I just don't see how it could be real, but then again, ......

  610. #610RCP572016-03-11 13:42

    Movie

  611. #611Hank R2016-03-11 14:54

    x 2

  612. #612HD Mech2016-03-11 15:51

    Ditto movie

  613. #613JDOFMEMI2016-03-11 15:53

    OK, thanks guys. Any idea which movie it is from?

  614. #614RCP572016-03-11 16:02

    I think it was one of the "final destination" movies? Some stupid movie like that.

  615. #615loggers son2016-03-11 17:49

    superman - man of steel

  616. #616RCP572016-03-11 19:02

    Yes that's what it was. Final destination 2 has a different logging truck crash scene.

  617. #617camptramp2016-09-11 19:18

    OZ Nelson Collection . Youbou / Lake Cowichan Highway intersection , many years ago .

  618. #618camptramp2016-09-22 23:37

    Jeet Sangara , Pour Rich Bennett Trucking . I know this happened at Timberwest HBO , on an adverse grade pulling up from a crossing of Bear Creek between Garbage Cr. M/L and Dent Cr. M/L . Not sure why , but an Off Highway Timberwest P-16 preloader was pulling this Pacific Highway Truck up the grade . For what ever reason the Highway Truck got pulled off the road on an inside corner .

  619. #619camptramp2016-09-22 23:41

    Jeet Sangara , Pour Rich Bennett Trucking .

  620. #620diamondtguy2016-09-23 00:59

    Wow...I guess the load took out the roof when it went over.Truck was either fairly new at the time or well kept..Thats a pretty big painted steel fuel tank...

  621. #621camptramp2016-09-24 22:40

    This Pacific Highway truck was purchased new by Trav Rankin or Pat Carson Bulldozing . Its probably around a 1980 , yes it was well kept . These pictures were taken in the late 1990's . The caved in roof is probably from a rock or a stump . The truck was repaired , I believe it is still a working truck , painted Red and working around Duncan with a "Self Loader" mounted on it . Still owned by Pour Rich Bennett Trucking .

  622. #622skadill2016-09-24 23:25

    must be above truck-second chancer wouldnt have known its bad day,if not for the story.

  623. #623diamondtguy2016-09-24 23:35

    Nice....I see she has been refitted with copious amounts of aluminum....

  624. #624mowingman2016-09-25 08:43

    As the old saying goes: "That will buff out".

  625. #625ianholt1502017-11-01 16:19

    Any jobs driving chip truck or log truck around Coos Bay, Oregon?

  626. #626Hallback2017-11-01 18:05

    Try Ben Stokes, he is from there.

  627. #627Hallback2019-08-20 21:37

    .............

  628. #628Blk prince2019-08-20 23:17

    Hallback,did you post any pictures? Not finding anything. Bp

  629. #629camptramp2022-12-01 23:37

    Bruce Ridley photo's Hayes Forest

  630. #630camptramp2022-12-03 00:48

    Bruce Ridley Photo's #H202 P16 Pacific near Caycuse Camp

  631. #631camptramp2022-12-08 22:25

    Bruce Ridley photo's Hayes Forest #T582 Spring Time when the "sap" is running , doesn't take much for a log on a load to slide forward .

  632. #632camptramp2022-12-13 00:24

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest #L393 A Madill 075 Super Snorkel on a rubber tire carrier had a steering failure while turning off a M/L on to spur road .

  633. #633Hallback2022-12-13 07:02

    She probably became parts & scrap after that?

  634. #634John C.2022-12-13 10:07

    I never liked the idea of those rubber tire carriers.

  635. #635Jumbo2022-12-13 10:33

    At Snoqualmie, we would move them up and down I 90 (old I 90) from the mill all the way up to Hansen Creek. Just road them. They would go up the highway each spring following the snow (with snorkels mounted) to pick up right of way. And, come back down at first snow. Those rubber tired machines were great when you were picking up the right of way. Of course in those days, tracked machines were not as fast as they are today when it comes to travel them. I would love to see the face of a present day DOT employee watching that machine headed up the freeway at 15(?) mph just bouncing along, no cares in the world. I'm not sure when it happened, it was after my time, but during my time the only thing that wasn't roaded were tracked machines, if it had rubber, it roaded. Seeing a self propelled Washington 208 traveling down the freeway was a sight also.

  636. #636Hallback2022-12-13 17:52

    I love em BUT...... I am the only one to drive ours. Too many of these damn seat covers think that they can hot rod around in them & from what I've seen happen to other outfits and other machines...... Not worth the risk.

  637. #637Hallback2022-12-13 17:55

    I drove out BU-94 Skagit down the pavement many times! I don't care how many times you've done it, when you roll one of them big suckers across a bridge it is always in the back of your mind, is this "THE" time!

  638. #638525isx2022-12-13 18:41

    how about up to Garcia ? Mine creek ?

  639. #639John C.2022-12-13 22:13

    First dealer I worked for installed cab risers on some of the Maxi Mounts for the Lazy W back in the eighties. It seemed most everyone I had to move had something wrong with the brakes or steering or some odd quirk just to get it moving. Then we added four feet below the cab so the operator could see the top of his load. Reminded me of being on the upper levels of the ship I was on in a storm.

  640. #640camptramp2022-12-13 23:06

    Bruce Ridley Photo Hayes Forest L393

  641. #641camptramp2022-12-13 23:41

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest L393 Madill 075

  642. #642Hallback2022-12-14 08:02

    Cab down....OUCH!

  643. #643Truck Shop2022-12-14 20:03

    When I worked construction-operator was walking a 225 down a hill side road with ice. Slid off the side, roughly a 100' drop then into some trees. Brush guards narrowly saved him.

  644. #644camptramp2022-12-14 22:07

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest #L393 Madill 075

  645. #645Hallback2022-12-14 22:17

    Just curious, how did the operator fare?

  646. #646camptramp2022-12-14 22:32

    I'm not sure if the operator had any serious injuries . But he did have to be "cut" out of the cab . The Loader was pulled out of the creek and repaired , then put back to work . I'll be seeing Bruce tomorrow , I'll find out more .

  647. #647camptramp2022-12-17 21:59

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest L393 The operator went for quite a ride . He did not receive any serious injuries , but he was off work for awhile due to some sprains and pulled muscles .

  648. #648Hallback2022-12-17 22:56

    Boy that's a hell of a nice eight

  649. #649camptramp2022-12-18 00:53

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest L393 Madill 075 Log Loader

  650. #650camptramp2022-12-18 22:47

    Any of the Equipment that is painted Yellow on the bottom and Orange on top was originally own by PBC ( Pat Carson Bulldozing) Pat Carson was a very smart man who took good care of his Crew and his Equipment . In the mid 1990's he sold out to Hayes Forest .

  651. #651camptramp2022-12-18 23:25

    Forest Land Industries #141 P16 Pacific

  652. #652camptramp2022-12-19 22:02

    Toby Hird Photos Forestland Industries more photos of #142 P16 Pacific

  653. #653camptramp2022-12-19 22:05

    Toby Hird Photos Forestland Industries #142 P16 Pacific

  654. #654camptramp2022-12-20 23:07

    Toby Hird Photo's Forestland Industries #142 P16 Pacific

  655. #655mitch5042022-12-20 23:31

    That driver just drift over too close to the edge of the bridge?

  656. #65692U 34062022-12-20 23:43

    Gonna guess he didn't go wide enough coming onto the bridge and the trailer pulled him over.

  657. #657camptramp2022-12-20 23:59

    Some where's back along the M/L the pin that goes through the "Funnel" at the end of the Compensator , that connects the trailer reach to the funnel bounced out . When the Truck started turning to cross the bridge , the end of the reach parted from the funnel and swung out from under the load to the left as the truck started across the bridge . the trailer tracked off the road and pulled the truck off the bridge . The driver who was in good "shape" did not have any serious injuries . When I was at Nekite River , I was at the Log Dump one day when a truck pulled in behind me . The driver made walk around check of his truck . He came up to me and said " you won't believe this one , I don't have a pin in the funnel" . The pin was found on the M/L six miles out out of camp .

  658. #658mitch5042022-12-21 00:59

    I guess the logs chained to the 2 bunks would hold it together til it turned sharp?

  659. #65992U 34062022-12-21 08:52

    If they're like highway loggers the wrappers just go around the bundle and don't get cinched down to the bunks.

  660. #660camptramp2022-12-21 14:27

    In this picture you can see two "cables" around the load they are about 25 to 30 feet long and made from approximately 1/2 inch flexible cable , on the each end there are about 4 feet of chain ( to adjust for the difference size of the load) I also use to carry several lengths of chain with hooks on one end to add to the wrappers if a loading operator built a "picture load" . The wrappers go over the top of the reach and are not attached to the trailer in any form .

  661. #66192U 34062022-12-21 17:07

    I spent a stint in a cable shop years ago. All the on highway wrappers were 3/8" cable with a pressed duplex eye on each end to capture the grade 70 chain. From what I can remember the cable used for the wrappers had more strands than regular 3/8" cable so it was much more flexible. Used to make chokers, skidder mainlines, bunk cables and lift straps for the trailers too. It was a definitely a good experience.

  662. #662mitch5042022-12-21 21:57

    It's always been an argument amongst log haulers here, chain wrapped around the logs and bound to itself, or chain hooked to the trailer. Now the newer trailers are coming with strap winches welded to the frame rails, and 4" straps. Most of the drivers around here have been replacing the 4" straps with 2" ones, which in my mind is only good to keep one log from walking out, no use at all if you wreck it.

  663. #663camptramp2022-12-22 22:18

    Toby Hird Photo's Forestland Industri es

  664. #664camptramp2022-12-24 22:49

    Toby Hird Photo's Malloch & Moseley #142 P16 Pacific I see a Malloch and Moseley on the door , this must have happened before M & M became Forestland Industries . ( The 848 Kenworth in the last three frames belonged to Mt. Sicker Lumber , it was a little treasure that was traded in on a Highway truck a couple of years later . Rumer has it , it went to Alaska .

  665. #665camptramp2022-12-27 00:10

    Toby Hird Photo's Malloch & Moseley #142 P16 Pacific .

  666. #666skadill2022-12-27 00:29

    Site I hauled some logs off last month, no one was there at the time a dead tree blew over on parked machine on a weekend

  667. #667camptramp2022-12-28 23:20

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  668. #668camptramp2022-12-28 23:22

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  669. #66992U 34062022-12-28 23:27

    Bet that hardly even scuffed up the bumper.

  670. #670mitch5042022-12-28 23:43

    I guarantee there's a hole ripped in the driver's seat upholstery in that Bronco II

  671. #671Camshawn2022-12-29 22:05

    That’s why we have a radio in out truck and camper. Saves the upholstery. Cam

  672. #672Tugger22022-12-30 01:50

    One of the first backspars we tried. Probably needed a guyline

  673. #673mitch5042022-12-30 12:01

    Probly so...

  674. #674camptramp2022-12-30 12:12

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #27-25 Madill Grapple Yarder . The operator was breaking in on a machine he hadn't run before , and was holding the Haulback Brake a little tight when the Guyline broke . Unfortunately he didn't get off the Haulback quick enough .

  675. #675Hallback2022-12-30 19:00

    Boy that's a heck of a downfall with a grapple yarder is always standing on that haulback brake.....

  676. #676camptramp2022-12-30 22:10

    I should have said he didn't get off the mainline friction and haulback brake in time . I made a similar mistake on a 7220 American rigged up as a grapple yarder . I was recruited to run the American when the regular operator got called to town and the spare operator was on time off in a "6 day camp" . Pulling a big log up hill and I was on the haulback brake to hard to gain a little lift . The machine had one 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 inch guyline which broke . When I felt it break , I let go of the Mainline lever . The most damage was a broken guyline and loss of pride . EJ was back the next day and got hold of the same log and just let it find its own way across and up the hill .

  677. #677camptramp2022-12-30 23:30

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest #T588

  678. #678camptramp2022-12-31 22:41

    Bruce Ridley photo[s Hayes Forest #T588

  679. #679camptramp2022-12-31 22:53

    Bruce Ridley photo's Hayes Forest

  680. #680mitch5042022-12-31 23:15

    How'd he manage that? Ground give way, or he get drug into a ditch?

  681. #681camptramp2022-12-31 23:22

    I wasn't there , but it looks like what ever the culvert was made of broke and caused the loader to sink into the road bed and ditch .

  682. #682camptramp2022-12-31 23:26

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  683. #683Coaldust2023-01-01 01:33

    I regret not taking pictures of all the cool stuff I saw, did and witnessed during my short time in the SE AK forest products industry. I caught the last breath of the glory years, met the legends, listened to their tales. #camplife. I thought it would never end. There would always be another season and another camp. Now, the forest land carbon credits are sold to California corporations to make their shareholders feel good.

  684. #684Hallback2023-01-01 09:00

    I only spent 7 years in camps in SE but loved it. One of my employees had an outfit up there working for SEAlaska when it went to carbon credits & he lost everything at 67 years old. Sad to see it all end.

  685. #685camptramp2023-01-02 00:53

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  686. #686Hallback2023-01-02 07:30
  687. #687camptramp2023-01-02 22:39

    Ed Isacson Photo's Hayes Forest

  688. #688John C.2023-01-02 23:06

    Lots of sheet metal damage. Probably not a lot of damage to the mechanicals and the hydraulic system.

  689. #689camptramp2023-01-04 23:34

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  690. #690camptramp2023-01-04 23:36

    Bruce Ridley Hayes Forest

  691. #691camptramp2023-01-05 23:11

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  692. #69264Pacific2023-01-06 12:46

    Wow, that is an impressive sight!

  693. #693camptramp2023-01-06 22:41

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  694. #694camptramp2023-01-06 22:44

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  695. #695camptramp2023-01-08 22:56

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  696. #696camptramp2023-01-08 22:59

    Bruce Ridley Hayes Forest

  697. #697camptramp2023-01-10 00:52

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest loader #L 516

  698. #698camptramp2023-01-10 23:18

    Bruce Ridley photo's Hayes Forest

  699. #699camptramp2023-01-11 22:03

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  700. #700camptramp2023-01-12 22:54

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  701. #701camptramp2023-01-13 22:35

    Bruce Ridley Hayes Forest

  702. #702camptramp2023-01-14 23:21

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  703. #703camptramp2023-01-15 23:00

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  704. #704camptramp2023-01-15 23:04

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  705. #705camptramp2023-01-15 23:07

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  706. #706Hank R2023-01-16 07:16

    How long did the recovery take ?

  707. #707Hallback2023-01-16 18:28
  708. #708camptramp2023-01-17 00:28

    That HDX Hayes looks a lot like the Wahkash #12 HDX Hayes in post # 3035 Hayes Trucks in the logging Industry . I'm sure there is a story on how that happened . I hope the truck wasn't messed up to bad getting the logs off it and out of the ditch .

  709. #709Hallback2023-01-17 07:21

    The driver shared that photo & I believe you are correct in it being Wahkash's.

  710. #71092U 34062023-01-17 08:57

    Recent incident too since that's a current generation F150 in the photo with it.

  711. #711Hayesno12023-01-17 14:26

    Yes it looks like Wahkash #12 Here is a pic of her in the shop Summer 2022

  712. #712camptramp2023-01-17 23:36

    Bruce tells me the Log Loader was the first rubber tire machine to cross the bridge/culvert . A log that was used to build the "crossing" broke , causing the loader to end up where it did . There was a Grapple Yarder in the area and there was Grade Equipment building road in the area . The rescue of the machine took a little more than a day . Damage was minimal , after standing the loader up on its wheels , fluid levels were checked and topped up or changed . Engine was turned over by hand , then engine started up .

  713. #713camptramp2023-01-17 23:48

    Bruce Ridley Hayes Forest (Alliford Bay Logging hauling for Hayes Forest)

  714. #714stumpfarmer2023-01-18 13:01

    Yes this is all correct, I know the driver. He started losing brakes and put er in the ditch at like 4mph. Suffered just a couple scrapes on the truck and some broken water tank bolts.

  715. #715camptramp2023-01-18 21:35

    A very smart Logging Truck Driver . When things go wrong , they go wrong in a hurry . When they do , look for a soft spot and ditch it . The truck is not a write off , the driver is not off work injured and the 15-16 foot bunks and stakes took most of the abuse . Well done .

  716. #716Tugger22023-01-19 22:51

    Seems mishaps with juicers are never as impressive as line machines . But its not every day you get your log loader ripped off the lowbed by a train. The grapple was hanging about 10' aft of the beaver tail when the Dayliner going south bound met the grapple on the old Buckley Bay Main crossing . The train had to be re railed and the log loader which we had just converted from an excavator was written off ,never picked a log.

  717. #717skyking12023-01-19 23:50

    Yikes! I've worked on RR jobs and they are scary, how much energy they are packing. Sitting here I remembered the rail delivery trains with ~1600' sticks of rail on roller cars. Imagine a sudden stop with a piece of rail going where it wanted.

  718. #718camptramp2023-01-21 23:19

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest T204 Ke nworth 850

  719. #719camptramp2023-01-22 22:53

    Bruce Ridley photo's Hayes Forest log loader L420

  720. #720camptramp2023-01-24 00:34

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  721. #721hoechucker2023-01-24 08:02

    How do you walk away from that? Looks like the cab got took the whole crash

  722. #722camptramp2023-01-24 22:14

    Bruce Ridley Photos Hayes Forest

  723. #723camptramp2023-01-26 00:32

    Oz Nelson Photo's Timberwest HBO Div.

  724. #724camptramp2023-01-27 23:35

    Bruce Ridley Hayes Forest

  725. #725camptramp2023-01-27 23:37

    Bruce Ridley Hayes Forest

  726. #726camptramp2023-01-28 23:22

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest #T479 P16 Pacific .

  727. #727camptramp2023-01-28 23:25

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  728. #728camptramp2023-01-29 23:34

    Bruce Ridley Hayes Forest

  729. #729camptramp2023-01-31 22:08

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  730. #730camptramp2023-01-31 22:10

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  731. #731camptramp2023-02-05 23:23

    Bruce Ridley Hayes Forest

  732. #732camptramp2023-02-07 00:33

    Bruce Ridley Hayes Forest

  733. #733camptramp2023-02-07 22:57

    Bruce Ridley Hayes Forest

  734. #734Jumbo2023-02-07 23:08

    It is interesting to note, in the last two postings: Both the snorkel and the truck, have outside equipment brought in the do the lifting. Nobody walked a shovel down to do the recovery. I think these are the first two in this thread where contractor lifting has been used.

  735. #735camptramp2023-02-08 00:38

    Probably a couple of reasons for bringing contract cranes to recover wrecked and damaged equipment . Both these incidents happened along ways from where the Yarders and Loaders were located . By lifting the damaged items on the loader, the repair costs were less And recovering the wrecked Pacific logging Truck , further damage was reduced , by lifting it up on the road rather than dragging it up the hill side .

  736. #736Jumbo2023-02-08 00:54

    Your description is what I had assumed. More than anything I was observing the evolution of working in the woods.

  737. #737camptramp2023-02-08 23:13

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  738. #738camptramp2023-02-09 21:54

    Bruce Ridley Pho to's Hayes Forest

  739. #739camptramp2023-02-10 22:18

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  740. #740camptramp2023-02-11 23:31

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  741. #741camptramp2023-02-12 22:18

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  742. #742camptramp2023-02-13 22:08

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  743. #743SookeOG2023-10-23 12:21

    Interesting addition to your post- This was my dad (Bruce Eve)’s first truck. The company was B.A. Eve Logging. Bruce was the driver of this truck. He crashed the same truck on the same hill 3 weeks to the day before Toby crashed. He also bailed and was unharmed. His dad (Edwin Eve, Sr.) owned Sooke River Logging at the time, and Bruce had just branched off on his own when this accident occurred. He says both accidents were due to a failed valve in the air tank. I’ve attached a couple photos of this crazy coincidence. One shows his company name and eerily similar damage to the cab, one with the same pic on his 80th birthday cake (because he is indeed still trucking - now 81) and one of the piece I made for my dad from the original emblems I found in my uncle Ed Eve, Jr’s garage after he passed away. He had kept them for almost 60 years! Fun facts for ya

  744. #744SookeOG2023-10-23 23:52

    “Yes, I’m a girl! Look at my crafts!” Lol. Omg… Sorry boys