Hey folks - we have a Lombardini (Kohler owned years) LDW 1003 (3 cylinder diesel used on basically everything) that will not shutdown when you turn the key. If you pull the 1 wire off the fuel shutoff solenoid it still won't shut off all the way. No matter how you pull power from the shut off solenoid, whether it be with the key or by pulling the wire the engine stumbles and stutters and keeps trying to stay running at a super low RPM and eventually it will die. So...I figured the fuel shut off solenoid is allowing the engine to pull fuel through and replaced the solenoid with a new one. It sits right on the fuel filter assembly and is super easy to replace and only 1 wire to reconnect. That did not fix the problem. I am wondering what other source of fuel the engine is getting because I can pull the power lead to the fuel solenoid and completely remove its power but the engine will still try to run at a super low stumbling RPM till it can't run any longer and dies. What else could it be?
Do you have a picture of the cut off solenoid? Sounds non Genuine or a watch dog on fuel inlet. Maybe added by end use manufacturer. From what I remember these old girls are a rack controlled unit injector. There is an adjustment on the governor housing. But i dont have procedure for adjustment.
Should of asked first, what is it in? Is it fixed rpm? How is the governor controlled? Dose it have a solenoid on governor linkage
Long story short. The fuel cut off solenoid isn’t what shuts down the engine. On the units i worked on in street sweepers, there was a cable that operated one level on governor for rpm control, and a second lever that had a pull/hold solenoid that shut down engine. I think you should be looking in that area. There was also adjustment screws on side of governor housing for fuel delivery and rail stop position. But you will need the proper alignment procedures before playing with them. I did have one that broke the rail return spring under rocker cover but i can’t remember the symptoms. I think it was hunting at idle.
Sorry I missed this. This is in a wacker compactor. I took off the valve cover and did not see anything standing out to pull the rack off. Rack moves smoothly. The adjustment on the side that is in the book does not apply to mine apparently because that screw to adjust is not even present on mine. Where can I look for the solenoid - that is what I haven't found and I don't think its on the side with the governor is it? Thanks for any help - I'm confused because usually this is some silly easy stuff to fix.
How long has this been going on.? What about the INLET FEED PRESSURE.?? Has someone installed an electric supply pump with TO MUCH PRESSURE.?? Anyway to post a picture of the pump/governor.??
I don't know how long they had it like this - just brought in to repair. There is nothing in the fuel system that is non-factory. Picture is below. I pulled up that manual and did an adjustment on the fuel rod and made sure that all 3 injectors were at far end of travel and closed with the rod is pulled to lowest fueling. It still does not want to shut down instantly when you turn it off. Just keeps chugging and running on 1 cylinder. Can one of the injection pumps go bad and cause this? As in: can an injection pump not fully shut off when the fuel rod is turned all the way to lowest setting?
I guess u could check it.. Get it idling, loosen the line going to an injector and get it squirting fuel and then engage the stop while watching the loosened line.. If it still squirts fuel, u have a problem.. Check all of them.. u might just have 1 that’s causing the problem..? Good luck
What I can't figure out is what solenoid is stopping fuel on the engine. When you shut it off nothing physically moves that you can see...I am looking for whatever that pin or such that is supposed to shut it off.
How about showing the fuel system..
Just a mechanical pump and a filter.
That doesn’t help..
Is that solenoid on top for high idle only or for stop as well. Does it pull the wire to rev engine or release to stop engine?
I will get you a picture of it but there isn't anything out of the ordinary that I see.
The pull wire simply pulls to increase RPM and releases for idle.
Under the valve cover there is the rack that goes left and right to change RPM. Does moving that rack to one side also shut off the engine by cutting fuel to all 3 injectors? I am back on this project...
Without pics, I’m no help..
This is the best pic of the top I can find. The cable actuated lever is throttle. When you take off the valve cover theres a rack that travels between all 3 injectors. I do not know what solenoid starts the shutdown process though.
Yes thats how I understand they operate. Rack rotates element on injector in increase fuel delivery and shut off engine. Can you take photo with rocker cover removed.
Your missing the stop lever mechanism off the governor housing
http://www.lombardini.no/Work%20Shop%20Manual%20FOCS%20matr%201-5302-351.pdf Link to work shop manual
I don't believe these engines came with the manual stop lever which is why its plugged. I will take a picture with the valve cover removed next. I see in the manual there is a part number ED0096800410S that threads into each injector. Is that relative to shut off?
Not sure. All i can suggest is these adjustments.
Thanks - regarding adjustments: the first one for the control rod does not apply my engine doesn't have that. However the second one which adjusts the rack I have done. No change. Attached is a picture of what I am looking at. When you move the rack back and forth it moves this ring that the cam goes through. Perhaps a governor type setup. Can anyone tell me what moves the rack to "OFF" when I hit the key? And just to catch anyone up: the issue is when you turn it off it sometimes gets enough fuel still to stumble and remain on for a little until it dies out.
Also - if I remove that silver fuel rail would there be anything that could be done with those return valves on each injector?
Sorry mate, this one is well beyond my expertise. I dont know what stops the engine without the stop mechanism installed. Only thing i can see is the middle injector seams adjusted alot more to the right then the other two.
How did you go mate? This one still has me stuffed.
Update in case this occurs to anyone else. Adjusting the rack a final time actually fixed it. Thanks all