I thought that I posted this thread a few years ago but unable to locate it. So, If a Bobcat E26 has a long arm, what are the advantages that it has over the short arm version? I understand the mechanical leverage aspect but are you loosing the hydraulic mechanical force compared to the short arm version? What are the advantages the short arm version has over the long arm? I am unable to see a lot of differences over a 4 foot boom over a 3 foot boom. Land clearing, will be the motivation behind this. Is the extra reach really worth the expense and added weight? Thanks Ken
My 2000 tb135 has the longer of the 2 options. Would never want a shorter arm. Keep in mind I don't have a zero swing counter weight.
that is the difference for me. I could have easily gotten a cab equipped long stick 35G, but they add on 4" or so of counterweight. I did not want that and waited for the short arm with no overhang. I am very frequently up against stuff. That same longer stick will knock into stuff in tight quarters. These are all examples where having more stick would have been less desirable, in 2021.
The mechanical leverage aspect is why you lose mechanical force when comparing the short arm to a long arm version. Depending on what your doing with the excavator you may not see the loss of arm digging force, but it is there. Pulling a longer stick through material takes more hydraulic effort than it does pulling a shorter stick. It applies to bucket breakout when you put a coupler on the bucket verse a pin on bucket. The loss of mechanical advantage with the increase in distance due to the coupler, reduces the breakout capability of the bucket. As to what is better, depends on what you want to accomplish. If your digging out stumps (where break out and stick pulling performance is important the shorter stick may prove better. If you spend more time excavating material the length of the long stick means you can dig farther prior to having to move, easier to place spoils further from the dig. It seems like you always wish you had a little more stick length. Personally, I go for the longer stick for what I do, both in a mini and a full size ex and accept the reduction in stick force.
I do have the advantage of having a larger machine (if I can get it in there LOL).
I bought a 35 g a year ago with a long stick never once have I wished for a shorter stick but the counter weight has a few Nick's after 800 hours cause 4 inches of counter swing was to much for a few spots My thought is I would never want a short stick cause 99 percent of the time I want the reach and for 1 percent of the time I can get creative
The only work that I can picture a mini with a short stick for is demo inside a building where clearances and overhead are tight.
I agree with John C. You might not think it makes much difference but it does. As long as the stability is good I would go with longer stick.
Well you guys do you. I dig in all sorts of really stupid tight spots and I don't need a longer stick. I also don't need a one size fits all machine I can grab the 120 when I want to get with it.
"it's not the size of the stick, but the motion of the ocean"
Absolutely. Who would want a short stick hehehe. Give me a knee hanger hahahaha. Sorry couldn’t resist. Akahol infused lol!
aackahol LOL
My vote is for long stick
or do like this extenda hoe on a excavator. They work amazing.
Where the hell dis you get that
My bosses father makes them. This is our 35d and it is as amazing.
How do I buy one
I sent you a pm.