well to introduce myself I have been lurking around here for a while and I have learned a lot. As you can see I'm totally new here. I have a couple of questions regarding cdl licensing stuff. I plan on getting a class b cdl to drive roll off trucks when I turn 21 which is in a couple of years, because I plan on starting a roll off trucking business. I also plan on buying an 20 ton excavator and tilt tag trailer. So obviously I would need a class a. the dilemma is that with my class b license and roll of truck I would be transporting materials in exchange for compensation which would indicate that its for commercial use. On the other hand transporting my own excavator to and from job sites does not clearly indicate that its commercial so I technically could get a non commercial class a license for transporting equipment and use my commercials b license for roll offs. Just wondering how many of you guys who transport you own equipment NOT AS A COMMERCIAL CARRIER FOR PAY have a cdl a and whether its needed. I have seen some of you guys put (not for hire) on your trucks. Any thoughts? Thanks
In Arkansas you can license the truck as a "Farm" and not have a CDL. Of course, if you have a wreck whatever you pull being fast and loose with the rules will come to light pretty fast. Trying to get insured being under 25 and pulling wide loads will be a pretty big challenge IMO.
Doesn't much matter whether you're working for hire or not, it's about size and weight. As roddyo says you may be able to get away with a farm license, maybe not. I don't know Texas intrastate rules, but I have never heard of any non commercial truck driving license, sounds to me like being "A little bit pregnant". Check with your local motor vehicles department, they'll give you the straight poop. You should be able to drive within your home state with a CDL at 18 I think.
Don't try to short cut the system, sooner or later you will get a roadside inspection and it will be on! If you do manage to get away with it, you will be on a list to be pulled over any time they see you. If by chance you are in a accident ,it doesn't matter how much the car was at fault, the next time you see the driver they will be surrounded by lawyers.
I guess I'll just have to go with the full class a than, How much practice does it take before most people can pass the skills test?. Do you guys all have class a's
I'm not sure how much practice it takes as I converted a chauffeurs license to a CDL back in the late 80's and I only had to take a written test. I do know in Ohio that everyone fails the pre trip inspection the first time around but generally do well on the driving/ maneuvering part of the test. If you have access to a single axle dump and a tag trailer you can practice and take the test with it. Just make sure it is at least 26000 gvw and air brakes.
In Texas you will need a class A CDL due to the weight. Forget about the farm vs. commercial. The C in CDL means commercial, anything over 26,000 GVW requires a class A CDL.