Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

looking at 2 trucks any advise?

ctkiteboarding ยท 2010-09-05 23:06

took a ride today to see an inter 1989 s2500 tri-axle, orig owner, 45k miles, 17' body, l10 300hp cummins, 8ll trans, the truck is in perfect shape other then abit faded,, guys wants 25k ,, the other truck is a 2000 sterling 17' body cat 300 8ll 58k miles paving co is orig owner , it will need a lift axle installed but plenty of wheel base, guy will take 20, truck has bumps here and there body is good, needs exaust and some cosmetic repairs but its a 2000 and much newer truck and cab a/c etc. im worried both truck will struggle w 300hp and advise would be great

Replies45
  1. #1MOUNTAIN MAN2010-09-06 01:08

    I'm not a huge fan of Sterling, they are going out of business here in Canada(must be the low sales??). I trust Internationals very much, they are a solid truck, I'm also a mega Cummins fan so thats a huge plus on the International for me, but it looks like to me that he's asking a little too much. What is the application intended for these trucks, paving and gravel dumping? Yeah 300hp might be a little on the low side for that application if you are maybe hauling a pup. Hope this helps!

  2. #2mitch5042010-09-06 01:56

    I own a couple of Int'ls, one is a 1985 S2300 w/ an L-10. I bought it in 1997 and an amazing amount of parts were obsolete already. The L-10 has been very good, and all the engine, trans. and rear end parts should be readily available. A lot of the body parts, and the other international parts are really hard to get. The truck itself is very well built. On the hp question, hp is really just about speed. We used to pull 100,000 lbs with 237 hp everyday. 300 was normal even in the 80's, There are still a lot of trucks doing 80,000 pounds and more with 300hp everyday. You will not take off from a traffic light or climb a hill as fast as a 400, but if the truck is speced right you will be able to do whatever you need, just a little slower. I once came up out of the bottom of a quarry at about 90,000 or so infront of two road trucks at 400hp+. My little Mack took off and left them, I shifted up to 2nd,then 3rd, they were still in low. They were all over the CB, asking what I had, I told them 300hp, they didn't believe me. We got on the interstate in the big hills, I left them up to 50 mph, then they passed me, cause that's hp.

  3. #3GOINGBROKE2010-09-06 08:55

    Even though the Sterling is a newer truck I would check out the parts availability for them. Have a very hard time finding parts here for Ford/Sterling and they dont come cheap.

  4. #4ctkiteboarding2010-09-06 08:58

    the inter is a dump spec truck very nice, older, but the guy took care of his stuff and you can tell,, if he would go to 20k i would own it already, the sterling is a really nice newer truck , just looks like the driver/pedal presser didnt give a **** about it and the owner is kinda clueless but the price fits my cash on hand, that being said the addition of a lift axle will cost a pretty penny, has anyone turned there l10's up to 350? or the cat which was 275 up 50hp or so

  5. #5GOINGBROKE2010-09-06 09:04

    What engine is the Cat? Have a serial no. by chance?

  6. #6ctkiteboarding2010-09-06 09:20

    inter is a 1987 2674 model# 1 HT2VGDTOHH 483303. fuller road ranger 8LL i have a call into the owner for the vin # on the sterling

  7. #7ctkiteboarding2010-09-06 09:24

    owner doesnt know the model of the cat im thinking 3126??? working on that info now the vin # on the sterling is 2fzxbj bb5yaf 88707

  8. #8Hendrik2010-09-09 20:45

    I would go for the Inter, based on being better looked after (which may extend to servicing). 45K in 20 years??? Was it driven to Church on Sundays by a little old lady? I used to pilot an Inter with a 230HP 855 coupled to a 9 speed RR, pulling 40 tonnes, no worries. Ya gotta consider also, more HP = more fuel burned. 300HP in a dump truck is plenty unless you want to pull a trailer in hilly country. However in the world of engines having more cubes is a good thing, the 855 is about 14 liters whereas the L10 I believe is about 10 liters but the L10 you are looking at is set to 300HP so it should be alright. However I also spend many an hour in a Steiger with a 10 liter cat motor and that had a lot of pull.

  9. #9ctkiteboarding2010-09-09 21:19

    i offered the inter owner 21k this evening he is going to sleep on it , also looked at two smaller dumps , one autocar 6 wheeler, volvo 350hp, 9ll 13' body with lift axle 80k on it, guy sold it tonight before i could see it up close then a fl80 cat 300hp 8LL also 6 wheeler with lift axle, barn door, loaded ,orig owner wanted 29k but said today 24k and i can have it , really nice dump im struggling with the size of the tri axle but in theroy I could go out on truck rental here and there when the 6 wheel w/ lifts will only work on my projects

  10. #10yash2010-09-10 07:06

    The trucks found these days come in with an array of safety features like drive train slippage, anti lock brakes, air bags and others. Various truck models will offer you with different range of safety feature. Depending on the usage of the truck, whether for family or commercial purpose, one needs to choose the safety features. While purchasing a used truck, you might want to ask the dealer about the safety equipments that are included. In case there is no safety equipments included in the used truck, then you might either consider going for other truck model or adding safety equipments separately to ensure safety of drivers and passengers. --------------------------------------- Monster Trucks

  11. #11ctkiteboarding2010-09-10 17:11

    yes safety first:usa

  12. #12therealjohnboy2010-09-10 20:17

    Its a truck load it with muck and cart away if your drivers cant drive to the conditions with out all the safety crap put them back on a shovel. Back up support is the most important as all trucks breakdown so you gotta get the parts pronto and at a realistic price to get rolling again if you wanna earn a living.

  13. #13Hendrik2010-09-10 21:03

    And the trucks found these days come with a price tag which is not within the budget we are talking here. As the realjohn said, you can have all the safety do das in the world but if the nut holding onto the steering wheel is loose you are going to have trouble. The best safety items in a truck are the driver, the tires being good, the brakes being maintained 100%, the engine brake working, the wipers work well, the headlights are good, the steering is tight and aligned, if you are going to really on modern gadgets to stop the ruck from crashing..........

  14. #14ctkiteboarding2010-09-11 20:22

    went with the fl80 pics to follow:drinkup

  15. #15ctkiteboarding2010-09-12 10:32

    here she is :usa

  16. #16DEERE310SG2010-09-12 12:12

    Nice truck I like FL80's good old truck's:thumbsup

  17. #17MOUNTAIN MAN2010-09-12 21:04

    Thats a nice truck, I like the lift axle and the dump box a lot! Its real nice, even better than the Sterling and INTL any day!

  18. #18Hendrik2010-09-12 23:06

    And it's red, so should go faster

  19. #19MOUNTAIN MAN2010-09-14 22:33

    Thats true, isn't it one of Newton's laws also?:bouncegri rofessor:beatsme

  20. #20MOUNTAIN MAN2010-09-14 22:35

    hey I'm your friend on youtube, I'm WesternStar4900SA, it's cool to see that you are on these awesome forums too. What a coincidence.:drinkup

  21. #21ctkiteboarding2010-09-14 22:41

    :drinkup not red for long , I had automiatic load cover prep the body for a new tarp system and the paint shop has it as of this eve, hoping to have it back end of next week, ss wheel covers are here friday and then dot inspection, plates and off to deliver some dirt:usa

  22. #22DEERE310SG2010-09-15 11:04

    Oh cool too see you on here too

  23. #23ctkiteboarding2010-09-15 19:14

    at automatic load cover getting prepped:usa

  24. #24rabbit2010-09-15 20:53

    Fl 80 Can't wait to see the paint.. :usa

  25. #25nedly052010-09-16 05:28

    x2!

  26. #26ctkiteboarding2010-09-16 09:47

    i tried to post a pic of the truck at ALC but it was way to small from my phone cam

  27. #27ctkiteboarding2010-09-30 21:28

    paints done pickin it up in the am then mount the simulators and clean the interior ,,got some small polishing to do, over the weekend im planing to move the battery box to the pass side next to the hyd tank and install a ss tool/step box to reach the body ladder, hoping to get to the auto cover guys early next week and get the install completed, had vibco send a bertha up to them as well going to shake it up abit pics soon:usa

  28. #28nedly052010-10-01 05:28

    opcorn

  29. #29ctkiteboarding2010-10-01 15:38

    got some trim and detail to do but i think it looks presentable:drinkup:usa

  30. #30ctkiteboarding2010-10-01 15:58

    here is my old truck that i just sold in a week on craigslist,, can you believe i got abit more then i paid for it over 15 years ago:beatsme , the guy even paid 1/2 of my new load cover so i would take the richards off

  31. #31nedly052010-10-01 17:40

    Congrats man, the freightliner looks awesome! Where did you get the simulators? Do you stil have your website? Thanks for the pics!

  32. #32ctkiteboarding2010-10-01 17:44

    thanks still got to clean up the chrome and black out some small stuff then get to moving dirt,,,, we site is up but hasent been updated in 3 years all old stuff

  33. #33nedly052010-10-02 06:35

    Have you been to DMV to register it yet? I was just wondering what you were going to be able to register it for and how many ton you would be able to haul on it.

  34. #34ctkiteboarding2010-10-02 07:42

    going in an hour or so 53k on the reg. havent scaled it but im guessin 20k so15t should be ok:usa

  35. #35DEERE310SG2010-10-02 12:56

    It look's nice.

  36. #36nedly052010-10-02 16:20

    Nice, thats a sweet little set up. Does the truck have an exhaust brake?

  37. #37ctkiteboarding2010-10-02 19:08

    na thats was the lame part :beatsme I guess a potato brake is in order,,, did the 1st topsoil delivery after dmv nice to have a proper truck:drinkup

  38. #38Aussie Leroy2010-10-02 21:59

    Nice looking truck well done :drinkup Leroy

  39. #39nedly052010-10-03 08:35

    I'm hoping to put one on our single axle this winter(exhaust brake), we hired another guy so it's been run a lot more. They work pretty well I think, I've always been happy with the ones on the trucks at the FD. Where did you get your simulators?I'd like to get a set for the single axle also. There are a ton of places to get them, I want to make sure I get a decent set, I've been looking at the phoenix ones, but they are awfully expensive.

  40. #40ctkiteboarding2010-10-03 13:18
  41. #41rabbit2010-10-04 11:59

    Here is my 91 IH, Dump, 275 hp L10 cummins, 8 spd, and exhaust :usa before bra after ke

  42. #42ctkiteboarding2010-10-04 19:36

    nice:usa

  43. #43MOUNTAIN MAN2010-10-04 19:49

    Looks Fast! Nice truck, I've always liked those Internationals.

  44. #44DEERE310SG2010-10-05 12:45

    That is a nice truck.

  45. #45rabbit2010-10-05 17:17

    Thanks guys :usa