Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking at a 580C

wmonroe · 2011-12-01 17:51

I've been looking on and off for a backhoe for a little while now and have come across a 580C for $8500. Talked to the owner tonight and he said he has owned the machine for 13 years, hoses are in good shape, tires about 75%, engine runs fine with no abnormal smoke, some rust but nothing abnormal for the age, he couldn't remember the hours (keeps it at his farm and couldn't look) but said they were low. All the guages work except the fuel guage. Here is the quote from the ad: "2 WHEEL DRIVE,FULL CAB WITH HEATER,RUNS GREAT,NEW BATTERY,COMES WITH 24 "& 12 "BUCKETS,GOOD TIRES." I'm going to look at it on Sunday so will know more then. Does the price sound like it's in the ball park? Anything specific to look for? Thanks for the help Will

Replies20
  1. #1willie592011-12-01 19:59

    Compare to the ones listed at Machinery Trader. http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...=contains&Manu=CASE&FullText=Case+580C&ETID=1

  2. #2wmonroe2011-12-01 20:24

    It looks like the price is better or on par with the machines in the link. Anything specific to look out for when i go to look at it? Thanks

  3. #3willie592011-12-01 21:08

    The usual, how it starts cold, oil leaks from engine and hyd components, cylinder leaks or seeping, weird clunks or noises when driving, hyd digging power. Do check the brakes, apply them hard when backing up or going forward, then reverse direction after stopping, verify the brakes don't hang when you reverse direction.

  4. #410ec2011-12-02 00:00

    580c The 580C I purchased is a "Mechanical Shuttle" unit. I understand from this forum (somewhat too late), that the "Power Shuttle" is more desirable. You should also check the differential lock to make sure it is working. As mentioned, brakes seem to be an issue with these units. I looked at several older Case backhoes before I made my purchase and almost all had some kind of brake issue. If everything works, from what I've seen, the price seems to be in line.

  5. #5wmonroe2011-12-02 07:05

    dumb question but a mechanical shuttle requires the clutch to be used where as the power shutttle does not require use of the foot clutch? From the reading ive been doing on here i have noticed the frequent brake issue so i will definately be checking those. Thanks

  6. #610ec2011-12-02 08:44

    580c Yeah, that is my understanding. I'm new to backhoes so I don't know all the advantages of the power shuttle. I plan on using the backhoe only as a farm machine and, for my use, I don't see an advantage to the power shuttle. Actually, the mechanical unit seems to be a simpler device; one that I might actually be able to repair and maintain. Maybe someone else can shed some light on why the power shuttle is more desirable?

  7. #7Greg in KY2011-12-05 13:46

    I have a 580C that I bought a couple of years ago for farm(piddling). I have put maybe 200 hours on it. It has a cab- about 3,000 hours - Case engine - overall good shape. 2 extra buckets (that I would sell if anyone wants them-20" & 12" I believe) I had a Case dealership replace the right kingpin, fix left brake, rebuild 4 cylinders. I put a set of rear tires on it. I have about $11,500 in it. The brakes work good but now the right brake leaks fluid and I have to fill up the master Cyl every time I use it. It will work all day on 1 fill and I don't use it enough to warrant getting it fixed. The actuator leaks(on top of the axel) and it really looks difficult to get to. Few slow cylinder leaks and stuff but nothing serious. The ether system does not work but I have started a few times on about 10 degree days after about 45 seconds of cranking(with no ether). Overall I am satisfied with it for what I use it for. I have never operate a backhoe without a power shuttle but if a manual is like a older farm tractor with a loader then I believe I would want the power shuttle for sure. Especially if I used the front loader much. It is so much smoother, quicker and keeps my legs from getting tired. I have not run a lot of different backhoes but the rear end(hoe part) seams weaker than it should be when moving the position of the machine with the boom. The only other "C" I have run was the same way.

  8. #8GWS2011-12-05 21:23

    The slave cylinder is pretty easy to get to and remove if you take the seat and floor panel out. May just be the O-ring needs replaced. Mine were pretty dirty and stuck but after taking apart and cleaning they are working fine now.

  9. #9wmonroe2011-12-05 22:11

    Well i went and looked at the machine yesterday and was pretty disappointed. He cranked the engine twice about 10 seconds each time and it didn't start so gave it a shot of ether. Once it started it ran fine and didn't smoke but didn't like that it needed ether when it was about 55* out and was only a low of about 45* the previous night. Machine had some rust from sitting outside all its life but nothing terrible. most hoses were good but a few were dry rotted. Where he stored it there wasn't very much room to try drive around and he didn't want the area dug up, so no digging with the hoe or front loader. Something overall just left me with a uncomfortable feeling so i decided to pass. I've been thinking maybe i might be better off getting a backhoe attachment when i buy a new Kubota tractor.

  10. #10halfshack2011-12-05 23:13

    i own a 580-c, and its been a totaly relyable machine, my dad ran it for 15 years, then i bought it from the company, brakes are a pain in these, the must be kept in use, if not used alot. to me the sound of the price and whay you descibe...id get it. for that money.what do you want? parts are avalible. case stayed with the same rear end design like right from the mid 20s,farm tractors have the same set up,brake parts?? some band,disk,some dry, some wet.., my 580 is a 1980, that was about the best series to me, asfar as, over all backhoe,was the best..goodluck

  11. #11TheOldMan2011-12-06 14:17

    wmonroe. Before you decide to buy the new Kubota with a backhoe attachment, get them to let you dig with it, and then find a 580C you can try out. The kubota is a toy in comparison. It's just what it was designed to be, a toy for a weekend farmer wannabe to play with. I know - I had one here for 2 weeks trying to dig pine stumps. Anything bigger than 6", not only would it not lift it out of the hole, but you had to dig a swimming pool size hole to even budge it. My buddy has a 580, and he can take out an 18" stump in about ten minutes. I just bought an old 580C that I'm working on for just what you have in mind, piddling around the farm. Really looking forward to getting it all together. Parts are are really expensive, but price a part for that Kubota.

  12. #12wmonroe2011-12-06 18:35

    Here is a picture i took of it. It kind of gives you an idea of the condition. i'm still back and forth on it, one thing that has me worried is that he used ether to start it and he didn't seem surprised it needed it. It wasn't cold out, to me it should have fired up without ether.

  13. #13TheOldMan2011-12-07 07:40

    Looks quite a bit better than the one i bought. Don't know why you would need ether to start it, other than if it wasn't cranking fast enough. It takes a good battery, starter etc. It has to spin over. If it is turning slow, it will not start on its own. I'm sure one of the other guys will come up with a better solution.

  14. #14DirtIsMyName2011-12-07 09:09

    Here is newbie/greenhorn view of your thread. I have a lot of related experience but not so much with heavy equipment. It should start without ether. Possible reasons: low compression, low rpms while starting, injection issues - timing or volume/pattern, air restriction. Was the breather puffing smoke and dripping oil? Starter issues could be the battery, connections or the starter itself. I don't know why I think this but in my mind you don't know a diesel engine until you adjust the valves, clean the injectors and check the compression. Battery, cables and connections should be like wiping the sweat out of your eyes. I would own a 580c. When I was reading here about which old Case backhoes would suit my purposes the only thing I remember about the C was that it has hydraulic cylinders on both sides of the boom and that made it wide and restricted visibility while you are digging. I consider this a minor point for my purposes. I haven't been watching prices for the last few months but I am really cheap and that sounds a bit high to me for an old farm hoe with issues. You know there will be more issues. Talk to the man about this stuff and see what he says. The more experienced guys can correct me where this doesn't apply to you.

  15. #15wmonroe2011-12-07 10:58

    The engine was turning over quickly, so i don't think that was the issue. The fact it didn't start without ether is my main hang up.

  16. #16waterman282011-12-07 11:37

    wmonroe I own a 1977 580C and when it gets cool out I need to use a shot of ether to get mine fired up. I don't think it is of any big concern as that is what the owners manual says to do to start them when cool. These machines do not have glow plugs or manifold heaters and i believe it is just the nature of the beast. A friend of mine has a 580D and his wont start without ether when cold. I have to agree with (Theoldman) a kubota is a toy compared to a 580. the price looks good also, just a bit more than I paid for mine but I didn't get a cab. These old girls have a lot of work left in them if you treat them well. Best of luck on your decision

  17. #17DirtIsMyName2011-12-09 08:20

    My old International had built-in ether for cold starting. It was a feature on quite a few models back then. When I thought about rebuilding the engine and was doing the legwork in preparation I read or was told that if the machine shop cut a little too much from the valve seats it would lower the compression enough to make it hard to start. There were higher compression pistons available for some models to make them easier to start. So, the point is that depending upon the history of the machine you could have two identical looking diesels that acted very different when starting. If the compression is just a little low it might need ether and might outlast all of us anyway.

  18. #18dwloop2011-12-09 08:42

    X2 here!! I used to rent a Kubota L48 I believe it was.... A toy compared to my 580B. Very frustrating when dealing with stumps, large rocks, etc. For what it rented for a weekend, I have well paid for the old Case. Even with all the work and parts I have put into it!! Dave

  19. #19Tinkerer2011-12-09 09:49

    Needing ether wouldn't concern me -- unless it requires a lot of it and /or if there is blowby coming out of the engine crankcase vent. I would think that at 55º it would start without ether though.

  20. #20MMH2011-12-13 22:19

    getting my post count in - #5