Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking at a Case 570MXT Turbo

SSam · 2019-04-11 12:19

I've been hunting for a skip loader with cab, which is rare on the west coast, and now looking seriously at a 2004 Case 570MXT Turbo. Its far away, so I am going to have the local Case dealer do an inspection on it. The machine has 5000 hrs and they have lowered the price to $17,000. Shipping would be $3500. It has front quick attachment, 2 buckets and forks, but not a 4 in 1 (which would be nice). It has a rear PTO, which is pretty uncommon. 4 valve rear hitch. It has a poor condition roll over box scraper on the back, so I'd be looking for a nice Gannon style like they originally came with. Not sure where I would find one, and new they are really expensive. Anything to watch out for with these machines? Is 5000 hours too many, assuming I want to get at least 1000 hours out of it without a major failure. I want this thing for building and maintaining roads, building flat pads and moving dirt around. In the winter it will be used to plow snow on 3/4 mile of dirt road for the couple weeks per year we have real snow. I have a 6 ton excavator and a 32hp tractor already. Thanks in advance for any opinions or input!

Replies9
  1. #1hammertime2019-04-12 15:42

    I purchased my case 570 with 5700 hours on it so I don’t think the hours are too high. Price is around average for that model. I assume it is 4wd? The electrics are usually the only headaches I read about on here. Pay close attention to the bushings on the three point hitch look for loose draft arms..I didn’t. They changed the design at one point and put both wear pads on the same arm. I see more of these having to be welded back together from being split. I’m not sure if you have that style. Something to look at Consider the pto heaven sent if you need it. Don’t see those around at all. 4way bucket is super handy but I noticed most don’t get the use out of it. Probably handier having that quick disconnect Start checking craigslist for your gannon and take your search wide. I see quite a few of those around Arizona for around $700 for a category 3 hitch. Slap some new hoses and blades you are set I will say the gannon functionality on a same year Deere 210le is a bit more thought out than on those case machines. I can get to spots I cannot get on the case.

  2. #2SSam2019-04-12 20:29

    Thanks for the tips. Been looking for the box blade, it will be a search. The cheapest new Gannon copy is the Bison 210-1, which would run me $3600 near by. Priced rear tires as well, and installed they would be $600 each for Titan R4's if i bring them in to the shop. Filling them with bio ballast fluid would get me 700 lbs per tire, and cost about $350 per tire. Do you think the weight is worth the money, or does the machine have enough weight to move some serious dirt without it? Here are some pics: Local Case dealer is going to give me an inspection report on it Monday. They sold it to the nursery and serviced it its whole life, so it is 1 owner. They used it to load dirt for customers and cultivate trees etc. That roll over box looks like it is ready for the scrap yard....

  3. #3hammertime2019-04-12 21:39

    That is a beautiful machine. Like you said with a cab! That really helps the electrics as well. The machine is not heavy and extra weight does help. The machines I see usually weigh the wheels with wheel weights in the well, and load the hitch area with plates as well. I have a pic I can post when I find it. There is a shop in So Cal. that does most of its biz selling Gannon’s and buckets. Is that where you are at? I will find that info again. Should be your place to find your gannon. And not kill the wallet.

  4. #4SSam2019-04-12 21:45

    I used to live in So Cal, but I moved up to Washington a year ago. If only I knew I needed a Gannon back then... Used to see a lot of skip loaders in LA. Maybe I can get a friend to drive one up if there is one for sale down there. If you can find the info for that shop, it would be awesome to check out. Thanks

  5. #5KSSS2019-04-12 22:10

    That is quite a find. There is no assurance that something wont fail with a machine with 5K and 16 years of existence. The upside is there are tons of those machines around, that they are essentially a M series backhoe without the hoe so it is a proven machine. The price is excellent, I have never seen one with a pto before, its a one owner and maintain by the dealer, dam the skip loader gods are shining on you. I would lock it down quickly.

  6. #6SSam2019-04-17 02:49

    I ended up buying it, for a final price of $15,000 due to findings at the dealer inspection. The dealer does not think 4x4 is engaging, and thought next steps would be electrical diagnosis. They also noted that it "hits hard" when the shuttle is shifted into gear. They thought that that was common on some machines when the oil was cold, but thought that it was too harsh on this machine. I noticed in photos that the low idle speed was about 1100 rpm. I was going to see if lowering it to the specified 900 rpm makes that shift ok, or if the transmission port pressure testing procedure is in order. There was of course a long list of common basic maintenance and wear items that you would expect of a 5000 hr machine. Anyway, I'm pumped to get a cheap 570 with a cab. Especially excited since I've never seen it before. I will post when this thing shows up! As far as getting a proper box scraper, I saw a couple used heavy duty ones halfway across the country that needed weld repairs, but nothing great. For a new box scraper that is essentially a heavy duty Gannon copy, there is a Bison 210-1 which I could get delivered 1 hr drive from me for $3600. A fab shop about 6 hrs away makes some pretty heavy ones that are $3000, but I would need to pick up. A new name brand like Gannon was over $5K, and the Land Pride equivalent model was the same. I have weld equipment and CAD, so thought about making one, but just fixing up the machine itself will probably take up a lot of my time in the next month.

  7. #7hammertime2019-04-17 04:49

    Cool I was Just going to post a question if you bought it or not. That idle speed issue seems like you are on The right track. The nursery likely never used four wheel drive. Hopefully that’s an easy fix. Screaming deal with the cab and all the attachments, even if you have to get a little spendy with the gannon You are still ahead.

  8. #8Tinkerer2019-04-17 08:51

    You may find this worth reading and downloading for future reference. https://www.scribd.com/document/158168916/CASE-570M-XT-Specs

  9. #9SSam2019-04-18 03:49

    Thanks!