Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking at a Cat 966B…Good machine?

buffaloman ยท 2009-12-21 14:20

I am looking at a Cat 966B that is for sale locally. It looks good other than the water pump is leaking on the motor. I don't see any major oil leaks. Seems to run and work good. Can anyone tell me if there is something these machines are known for that I should look for? It is kind of old (1966) but I only want it for use around the farm. It will probably only see about 100 hrs a year of use. Thanks!

Replies12
  1. #1Gudrun2009-12-21 14:43

    I think an old cat can do the job. But if you want a machine that will work much, I think that a wheel loader with Lockup by Volvo Optishift or Deere is better. http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:1PmWlwPAYYUJ:www.volvo.com/constructionequipment/corporate/en-gb/press_room/bauma_2010/prebauma_pressreleases_english/NewsItemPage.htm%3FchannelId%3D5326%26ItemID%3D73406%26sl%3Den-gb+volvo+optishift&cd=1&hl=sv&ct=clnk&gl=se http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construction/deere_const/wheelloaders/deere_4wdloader_selection.html

  2. #2surfer-joe2009-12-21 16:29

    For farm use at the hours you mention, it would be perfect.

  3. #3qball2009-12-21 16:44

    there are vast herds of 966b and c's roaming chicagoland. incredible snow pushers and pretty damn reliable. not so very comfy, though.

  4. #4Burnout2009-12-21 17:20

    We still run a few 966B/S's, they are good machines. As q said, very reliable, pretty loud and the brakes suck. But they start everyday. A little drippy drippy on the waterpump is no big deal. It looks like its in great shape for its age.

  5. #5palacemasonry2009-12-21 18:51

    does anyone know of A WEB SITE TO LOOK UP EQUIPMENT TO CONFIRM YEAR AND WHAT COUNTRY IT ORIGINED FROM . i HAD ON BUT IT WAS SAVE UNDER FAVORITES AND MY COMPUTER CRASHED . THERE WAS NO CHARGE FOR VIEWING THIS INFO . THANKS

  6. #6cat9802009-12-21 20:17

    http://www.ritchiewiki.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page tis website ay help it has a specs and other stuff

  7. #7JimInOz2009-12-22 17:00

    The 966C loaders sell well here,as they had a good reputation.I think the B model were reliable too. I would imagine it to be an excellent farm loader.

  8. #8Panhandler Bob2009-12-22 19:29

    Hey Buffaloman, Ran 2 diferent 980B's over the years (2500-3000 hrs. seat time between the 2) Always started always ran all day. Uncomfortable yes, 10 hrs. you where ready to get out and grab a cold one. They would load some trucks. Dependable yes. Good luck. :drinkup Bob Happy Holidays to ALL

  9. #9buffaloman2009-12-23 09:20

    Okay. I got this 966B bought yesterday. I've never owned a wheel loader before so I am excited. I know this would be considered an old piece of junk to many, but to me (a farmer) it is like a new toy! Maybe my D8H dozer will enjoy the company of a 966B! The equipment dealer is going to replace the water pump for me and then I can pick it up. I did speak to the previous owner (another farmer) who only lives about 15 miles from me. He said it was a good running machine that never gave him any trouble. He just wanted something with a nicer, newer, more comfortable cab. He did say that when traveling down the road it always had a slight wander from left to right, but he just put up with it and never checked into correcting it. I'm not too worried about that. I want to thank everyone that on this site that helps guys like me learn about heavy equipment. You guys are a wealth of information covering everything from mechanical issues to safe operating procedures. Thank you!

  10. #10Steve Frazier2009-12-23 10:08

    Old loaders of any brand will wander as the steering cylinders and articulating joint get a little slop in them. One of the local gravel haulers here has 2 966 with cabs very similar to yours, they might be the same model. He liked the first one so much he got a second, and then had the first refurbished by Cat. I doubt he'd have done that if they were much trouble. Good luck with it!

  11. #11swampdog2009-12-23 19:23

    The 966B and C machines are close relatives by the looks of things. They are much more similar (obviously) than the 966B and its predecessor. Maybe someone can point out the differences between the B and C models; I'm curious. These hunks of steel were built back in the days when industrial quality meant industrial quality. Back when men were men and iron was iron, etc, etc. One thing I like about my 966C is that it has no computers anywhere on it; good old mechanical parts that one can figure out. And they are as tough as nails. They still bring a good dollar too, with many of them going overseas in containers.

  12. #12petercat9662010-01-03 11:09

    cat 966b My father and I run a Cat 966 B for snow removal. I believe he bought it in the 70's for his construction company. I personally like the older Cats because I feel the newer ones are too computer oriented and are exp. and confusing to work on. The only downside Ive noticed would be after operating the machine for 18 hrs the seat can become alittle unconfortable. With regular maintenance your 966b should provide you with yrs of good service. Good luck w your new loader