Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

looking at a grader

da'yoop ยท 2011-06-21 15:29

Hi guys, I'm looking at maybe buying a grader. The one I'm looking at now is a Gallion but I don't know the model or year. I would have to call the guy for more info. It has a Cummins engine and also has a wing plow that I would probably take off. Here's a pic of it (if I can get it downloaded on here). Do any of you guys recognize it and what can you tell me about the pros and cons of this model.

Replies11
  1. #1mitch5042011-06-21 23:59

    from the pic that is a 118. I can't see the letter series but by the cab shape it is a 118, 118A or 118 B. it was made in the '60s, because in the early 70's they made the C model, which had a squared off cab and engine cover. I have a 118A

  2. #2sino-john2011-06-22 04:52

    buddy, that machine is old enough to retire, don't you want to purchase a new one? If you really want, I can supply motor graders with best price. contact me at [email protected] if you need it.

  3. #3da'yoop2011-06-22 12:23

    What is your opinion of this model? I'm a little skeptical of buying one this old, has yours been reliable?

  4. #4da'yoop2011-06-22 12:30

    Good idea......will you take a check or do you want money?????

  5. #5mitch5042011-06-22 20:26

    I am restoring it as we speak. It seems to be well made, and of course the Cummins is good. Parts aren't too hard to come by, from the Komatsu dealer, and several aftermarket places. The only thing bad wrong with mine is the shifter assembly. Oh, by the way, when you order your new one from our chinese friend, how 'bout get me one too.

  6. #6da'yoop2011-06-23 08:32

    HAHA.........Ok, I'll go ahead and pick up a couple of them. Thanks for the info on yours and good luck with the restore.....get some pics!

  7. #7da'yoop2011-06-30 14:48

    Now I'm looking at a newer Austin-western now. It's a 1980 model I guess.....price is about the same as the Gallion. I didn't realize how old that gallion was. Anyway, here's a pic of it. I would appreciate any comments about problem areas or specific things to look for when I go see it.

  8. #8mitch5042011-07-01 00:18

    Hey Man! This is getting freaky! What was that movie, Single White Female? Where that one girl tried to be just like the other one? I own 2 graders, the 118a, and an Austin-Western Super 366. There are several threads on here about A-Ws. Mine is a tandem machine, (a Super), where that is a single rear axle machine, (a Pacer). They both use the same rear differential, which is the worst weak point on an A-W. Otherwise, I really like my A-W. It's hard to tell from that photo, but that looks older than a 1980. A 1980 should have a squared off hood, and I'm pretty sure it is built by Clark. The earlier ones are by Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton. If you get the model and serial numbers I can check it for you. BTW, Would you like me to post a list of my fleet? Just so you know what to look for next?

  9. #9da'yoop2011-07-01 07:25

    That's pretty funny......you haven't been looking at pontoon boats lately have you? It was advertised as a 1980, I haven't had a chance to go look at it yet. It's about an hours drive away (by pick up, not grader). Lord knows how long it would take to drive the grader home...lol. If I get serious enough to go look at it, I'll get the serial number and model. I've been doing a bit too much buying lately and this thing is kind of big to hide from the wife....lol. Btw, it's less than 5000. Is that normal pricing?

  10. #10da'yoop2011-07-01 08:33

    here's another pic of it.............

  11. #11mitch5042011-07-01 10:26

    That's not a 1980. I'm not exactly sure when they went to the square hood, but that's the old style hood and cab. If all the pivot points are good, and the drivetrain seems good, less than 5k is a deal. I really like the driven front wheels better than the tilting ones. Good luck, Mitch PS no pontoon boats, my wife wants one, but not as bad as she wants other stuff. Now, if you start looking for an ocean-going tugboat....