Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

looking at a Kamatsu D65E

DReiff62 ยท 2012-11-12 08:49

looking for any advice on a Kamatsu D65E dozer. I'll use it as a farm dozer for some heavy timber work as well as terracing. Wondering about any particular things I should know about this series of machine, options to look for, things to avoid, etc... Thanks for any input you have to share.

Replies9
  1. #1Andrew_D2013-03-08 01:54

    I'm wondering as well. There is a D65E-6 coming up for sale here in the spring. I'm new to crawler dozers - only used blades on farm 4WD's before. Want to know what to check for... Andrew

  2. #2Andrew_D2013-03-08 08:07

    Spelling correction for the search bots: Komatsu D65E-6 The one coming up for auction is S/N: 30051 according to the auction flyer pics. (Looks like I waited too long and can't Edit anymore.) Andrew

  3. #3UrParts2013-03-08 10:10

    According to a serial guide book I have that serial number would make it 1975

  4. #4Andrew_D2013-03-08 16:35

    That matches up to what the listing says at least...that's a good sign! Andrew

  5. #5Peter Kennedy2013-03-14 04:17

    Komatsu D65 are a great dozer, plenty of power and comfortable to sit on and work all day.

  6. #6Scrub Puller2013-03-14 05:23

    Yair . . . I would second Peter Kennedy's comments. They are a nice little tractor and will do a lot of work. It would be getting hard now though to find fitters who know much about that Cummins . . . it has it's little foibles. Cheers.

  7. #7UrParts2013-03-15 05:18

    The D65-12 is also a good dozer but a lot of them gave transmission problems around 14,000 hours.

  8. #8steve.k2013-03-18 03:28

    65e The 65e's are bullet proof !! The only trouble we had was with the 220 cummins and the new fuels as its to dry for the fuel system and the injectors would stick. The cummins has plenty of parts and most can be had at 7-11! You will not go wrong with this dozer!

  9. #9tctractors2013-03-18 16:59

    The D65E ( E= Extended T/Frame) is not a bad little chariot, as already stated its P-U is a Cummins (non Turbo) it is fitted with the 4 valve head with single springs on them, the engine overhead set is specific to the Komatsu, the parts are best found in a breakers yard or a Non O/E Komatsu Dealer, like all things they all break down in the end, but the D65-6 is a tough little banger, I have done everything possible to them from the rad cap to the tow pin and have plenty of pic's of them in loads of bits, but they can take some "Boot"