Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking at buying a CAT IT12 with 3204 engine. Advice please

s2dm ยท 2018-04-06 22:44

Relatively new to forum, we have an avocado farm and like to do the work ourselves. Have a kubota track loader and mini-ex, but often have tasks the kubota isn't strong enough for. Found a 1994 IT-12 with 8000 hrs, ex county government unit in great shape with good service records, naturally aspirated CAT 3204 engine without any rebuilds. Unit is priced well and has tons of attachments I would use included. At that many hours, should I expect to be able to use it for awhile without major engine issues? I know the higher HP 3204 applications with turbos were problematic, but would you shy away from that engine in this application? Thanks! -S

Replies6
  1. #1Birken Vogt2018-04-06 22:57

    Question #1, are you going to be able to run it with the Gestapo sticking their nose into everyone's business?

  2. #2s2dm2018-04-07 08:02

    I wasnt sure how the new law affected homeowners vs business owners? We'll probably use it 100 hrs a year around the house.

  3. #3Birken Vogt2018-04-07 10:32

    Nobody is sure of anything except "they" are out to get you unless everything is Tier 4. It might be OK because it is ag but who knows.

  4. #4s2dm2018-04-07 12:54

    Engine serial # is 45V47620 Can anyone tell me more about this engine? Is it one of the more favorable mitsubishi made engines?

  5. #5Cmark2018-04-07 17:15

    There's nothing wrong with a 3204. Bum basic little engine and if it's been well maintained as you say then I wouldn't have any problem buying it. Just make sure it's always had good coolant. If it's got water in the radiator, be more cautious. And if you buy it, keep and eye on the water pump belt and tensioner. And no, it's not a Mitsubishi.

  6. #6kjkoch2018-04-22 11:23

    It is getting pretty hard to find some of the parts .