Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking at buying a used excavator with a dead main hydraulic pump

John V · 2023-05-17 22:30

Hello, looking for advice on buying a used IHI 55UJ excavator with a bad main hydraulic pump. Seller said the machine has been sitting for a few years. Back when it died, he described it as a slow loss of power over an extended period of time, and finally on one job it completely stopped working. I'm wondering if that spells doom for basically the entire hydraulic system, i.e. all the valves and cylinders could have been damaged by debris, or is there a chance it didn't contaminate the system. What would you recommend checking in the system to see one way or the other? Thanks, John

Replies9
  1. #1willie592023-05-17 22:39

    Just my opinion, but there's no way I'd purchase an inoperable machine going on an owners story of "it was operating until this happened". If the machine were operable, I could make judgements of the machine condition and wear and come up with a reasonable assessment if it's worth my time and money getting it back up to snuff. But an inoperable machine, way too many unanswered variables there.

  2. #2skyking12023-05-17 22:54

    If I am not mistaken it is also a grey market machine, with that load of baggage. Run far away.

  3. #3BluewaterLa2023-05-18 01:33

    Parts machine at best, I would not buy it with hopes of fixing it.

  4. #4John V2023-05-18 09:16

    He says he’d take $9k and he he equipment trailer it’s parked on is included

  5. #5kenworth2023-05-18 09:41

    Run away from this project, super fast. It will become a time consuming money pit that may never end.

  6. #6John V2023-05-18 11:51

    Appreciate the advice fellas. I'll pass on this one. If I could go inspect the machine in person beforehand, I may consider it more. Considering it's a few states away, I'll let it pass.

  7. #71693TA2023-05-18 12:32

    Easy enough to pull a pump and have it tested but if the owner let it run till failure you best pass as far too many variables and failures/wear not readily revealed. Probably best a parts machine as referenced.

  8. #8KSSS2023-05-19 10:02

    I would just throw this out there. That machine is not grey market. I would contact CES in E-town, Ky. They are the distributor for IHI/KATO in the USA. I had an IHI years ago and CES was pretty amazing to deal with. I would take the time to call them and ask your questions before you walk away. You may still walk away but might be worth the time to have the conversation.

  9. #9John V2023-05-19 10:35

    Yeah I have a 55J2, which is not grey market either. They are pleasant to deal with for sure, but I do find their parts pricing to be high, and aftermarket parts are not nearly as easy to find as Kubota machines. I enjoy working on fixer uppers, as this 55J2 surely has been one. Fortunately the 55J2 didn't have much in the way of hydraulic damage (cylinders needed resealing), it mostly needed an engine dropped into it and pin/bore repairs. I imagine a couple damaged cylinders or valves on the 55UJ and I'd be looking at a real headache.