There is a gas Case 1845 with around 2000 hrs that appears to be in decent condition. 2nd owner, guy is selling to get bigger machine. He says starts/runs good and no problems with machine - but it is old. This would be my first skid and would just be used around the yard to move some dirt and push snow. No aux hyd. Its very spartan but I could get by with it and would serve my needs until I can afford something better. What would be a fair price if it checks out or should I avoid it completely. Thanks for the help.
Can't say what a fair price would be but from my experience with 1845 Case skids they are good machines. Is it a straight 1845 or is there some letters after the number? Like "B" or "C"? As I recall the 1845 and 1845B hade Case 188 diesels and the "C" used a small Cummins 4B, that was rebadged as a Case 4-390.
Just a straight 1845 with gas motor. I think I can get it for around 6k. But its old, gas and no aux. Probably all I need but wanted some input from people more knowledgeable. Been trying to read all I can. I would like to buy something for less than 10k.
The biggest problem I used to see with them when doing trade in inspections was that the steering and control handle linkages would get loose making the machine a bit difficult to operate smoothly. Check free play in the linkages before you purchase.