Hi everyone. First off Im new to this forum and secondly Im pretty new to excavators. I am mostly looking to just use it on the farm for loading manure to spreaders and other jobs. I figure why buy a track loader when that is all it would be used for. I am looking at a john deere 790d lc. It is a 91 model. Are there any things I should be looking for with these hoes? This one has 13 grand for hours. He wants 19,000 for it. Any advise would be great. Thanks in advance.
Been looking through the forum and it seems these older deere's weren't as popular as some of the other models.
No one?? :beatsme
If the 790 was anything like the 792 then I would say check the rotary manifold. Thats where the oil is transfered from the hyd pumps in the upper house to the travel motors. If any oil is acumulating around the turntable or seems to be seeping from the turntable thats might be a sign. Mine let go at about 4,000 hrs, dealer said was unusual for that to happen with only those hrs, just my luck maybe. That manifold can be rebuilt if only needs seals and bearings, but if damaged your gonna have a heck of a time finding one. Other than that nothing major for me.
Thanks Highdrive...I have been doing a lot of reading and have read about this problem. I also read that the deere's are basicly a repainted hitachi?
Funny you say that, I have the hitachi version of the 792. It's the UH143, only difference is Hitachi has Hino engine. That Hino is one nice engine, so quiet, only problem ever had was transfer pump went bad. Machine would quit when fuel level got below half a tank, a head scratcher for a few days, but finally figured it out. I brought the hitachi in this country from Holland. At the time it was in violation of agreement with John Deere. Wasn't supposed to have same size Hitachi as John Deere's 792 in this country. I go to Deere for most parts, others from Hitachi.
I don't know if you know it but the #'s on the Hitachi's back then like mine UH143 meant how many cu.meters the bucket was. 1.43 cu meters. Not sure if Deeres numbers had any connection to bucket capacity or machine weight.
If the machaine has been maintained and there are no glaring signs of abuse or evidence that it has spent its life running a hammer, I think you would be pleased with it. Has the undercarrige been replaced yet? And can you find out the history of the machine. Good luck.
Curious as to why it is bad for a machine to have spent its life running a hammer.
Hammers are hard on the pins is what i'm told, I am also looking for an excavator too, we would be using it for farmuse also, and i hope to do work for other people in our area. I was just wondering about more experienced operators opinions on what size i should be looking for. I was thinking of a John deere 160lc, but would that be a good enough size or should i be looking into a 200? We would be using for digging out driveways, and clearing fence lines that sort of thing. Any opinions would be great
we have a 690 D-LC, has a larger than factory counterweight on it. use it for ditching and clearing fencelines pulling stumps burying stuff. Great machine! Wouldnt go any smaller.
Hammers are hard on everything, early hammers like a machine of that yr would have run were not as refined as todays hammers and were really tough on them. Hammer machines break and wear out components that a straight digger almost never or rarely do.
Hammers are hard on everything Thanks ddigger, I recently bought, used for a while, and sold a 94 model Hyundai Robex 290LC I believe it had spent its better years attached to a hammer in Colorado. Their was a add on foot control pedal next to the foot rest in the cab and the cylinder that attached to the bucket looked newer than the rest of the machine. Thanks again, Mark