I am going to look at two used machines tomorrow. I know the basics of what to look for when looking at a machine, but (I can always use reminders, and) anything specific to look for on this type of machine?
Holy hoses Batman! Do you have a specific job you’re buying it to do or just adding it to the fleet? Cool machine!
Looks like a machine that I might like to run, but not to own. All I see are big dollar signs and headaches in the future....
Yeah they have a lot of hydraulics for sure. No specific job. I've been wanting to upgrade to a newer machine for a couple years. If I'm able to buy one of these I'll keep the Bobcat for a little while to make sure it works ok for my purposes and is reliable. There are a lot of jobs where I really could benefit from having the loader feature. Good input- what headaches are you seeing? First hand experience from someone that's owned one for 4000 hours or so would be very helpful but I haven't been able to find anyone that has one of these.
Stick that boom up into some trees and you may get showered in hydraulic oil. I think those machines have a spot, not sure where, but I imagine it would start with an owner operator.
Complexity is the enemy of reliability. I think there is a reason you're not finding any long term owners.
Well I really like those machines and in a perfect world I wouldn't mind having the wheeled version. One would be handy as a shirt pocket backfilling curbs and fine grading on commercial jobs. The spec's call for all curb backfill and final landscape areas to be +/-.10' usually 4" below grade for the landscaper to add topsoil. There are always all sorts of obstacles from bollards to vaults to RPZ's to grade around. Anytime we can cut down on shovel work is a good thing. Just my $.035 adjusted for massive inflation.
Meclac showed up at Conex two shows ago, and have been building a dealership network here in the US, they are from France. I watched the demo they put on and they are pretty impressive. There certainly is a lot going on with these machines, but if the productivity is significant enough it would be worth it.
Reckon it would be great for those running a small excavator skidsteer combo but if it breaks down you're done for the day against a combo if 1 breaks down you're only half done.
The advantage is, at least in theory is that you can do more with one operator. Given the difficulty in finding enough help, I think this machine could help in that area. It can do more and so allow for fewer machines on the job and so less mobilization and allowing other machines (assuming you have them, to be doing other things). I think it is beneficial to more than just a small skid steer/mini ex guy. Any job that has those smaller machines on it could benefit from it. If it breaks it breaks, you figure it out, no different than any other machine. I don't at least have redundant machines on a job in case one breaks. I use a mini and a CTL/SSL on job because that is what I need get the job done. If one machine could effectively do the job I would likely do that.
So here's the scoop Machine #1 asking $72,500 Dealer (not a Mecalac dealer) 2018 6MCR with ~1850 hours Additional counterweight 2nd auxiliary Skid bucket 24" excavator bucket Ripper Skid steer adapter Good general condition Last service at 1648 hours Error code presumably due to an unplugged sensor on the boom (overload sensor maybe) AC doesn't seem to work Bottom cover of undercarriage is damp with oil but not dripping noticeably Machine #2 asking $79,900 Private seller 2017 6MCR with ~1130 hours Skid bucket 24" excavator bucket Skid steer adapter Pallet forks Kubota HB74 sweeper Somewhat neglected condition Last service at 864 hours Coolant level low (still showing in overflow tank) Battery light on when engine running Heater fan doesn't work AC belt missing Smashed side panel
If it breaks down I think your down for more than a day. There's not much dealer support, few parts stocked and not many trained mechanics. It would be interesting to run but I am leery of all in one machines
The main dealer for North America is not far from me (or you). Have you been involved in getting parts or repairs for a Mecalac?
I saw their booth back in 2017 and thought it was an interesting machine. They have improved on the design since then. This machine would be perfect for a commercial plumber or electrician that has to trench parking lots and slabs. One machine to dig, clean up spoils (when they actually do that ) and backfill. Need for a skid and a mini.
Without seeing them my uneducated preference would be machine #1. I’m curious where the oil on the undercarriage cover came from though… finding a leaky fitting or hose on that thing must be a pain!
I'm definitely leaning toward the 2018 also. I asked the dealer about it and he said they'd check into it. I'm hoping it's not the rotary joint. The hoses and such in the upper structure actually have pretty good access once you take the bottom covers off. This picture is of the '17 because I noticed a bolt missing- I peeked in there and could see around quite well. Much different than the hydraulics of other minis I've worked on.
They had a very large both and great display in 2017 and 2020 but I looked for them in 2023 and they were a no show. Made me question what their plan was for the North American market.
I didn't see them either but wasn't looking. Spent most of our time researching tech.
I found a '23 6MCR at another dealer and they are selling it as new with 100 hours on it! I don't understand how they can legally do that. If there's not still factory paint on the blade and bucket I don't consider it new. What's worse is it's 100 rental hours...
Did you decide on any of these or are you still looking?
Pursuing the 2018. We'll see how it turns out.
Any news on the 2018? I enjoyed reading your thread on the Bobcat and would love to read about the 6MCR. Have you watched any Youtube on them? V Belt and Son just got one
What to look for? How about another machine lol
Yeah I've watched some of those videos. Finally brought it home today
I’m very interested in hearing your opinion on it after you’ve gotten some hours in. What did you get for buckets?
Such as?
Digging bucket, skid steer bucket, ripper, skid steer adapter and forks.
Great machine I have the exact one. And I had a worker tip it and rip everyone off those hoses out but . Fixed an injector and lined the hoses out and back to work. There is the possibility your son might fall with range of an electric upgrade that'll be needed but easy
Wow, wow, wow! Fantastic way cool machine! I had never heard or seen that machine before this thread. I watched a 9 min video of the machine in action and love all the optional ways and attachments to use the machine. Now I want one too! I have thought about getting a rotating bucket, or a wide bucket reverse mounted for my Takeuchi. In the mean time, I will have to march on with my side arm mounted TB153FR and custom built pallet forks.
Can you clarify what you mean by this? I assume auto-correct was incorrect when you typed this
Link to the thread for the machine I bought: HeavyEquipmentForums
I have 6MCR. Machine is very strong which cause to blow the houses time by time. Other than that it works just fine. Dealers cannot get what is needed for this machine. Service is OK but parts and attachments in question.
So I have a 2017 6mcr and it's got just under 2000 hours on it. I'll say without a doubt the machine is a monster once you know how to use it to its full potential and I personally had quick attach to skid steer adapter plate made up. That was a game changer . Yes though all your apprehension about service and parts is warranted. It took an act of Congress to get an actual service manual and I can see why with the amount of privileged information is in there and how sophisticated the machine truly is to allow it to do what it does. It's not a machine to buy for mid size company looking to have something that every guy on the job site can jump in and do what needs to be done like a mini or skid steer but if there's a single ass for that seat there will be no more productive machine in your fleet . Can handle everything a 8-10 ton excavator can handle and almost all your 100hp skid steers can just because of the set up and the auxiliary flow distribution. If they had a bigger presence here for knowledgeable techs they could corner the utilities market and small land clearing .
Sounds like you have underrated hoses. The machine reliefs are set over 4000psi so the factory hoses are 5000 psi. Is it proper hoses that the dealer can't get, or other parts? An actual Mecalac dealer will be able to get whatever parts you need, unless maybe it's an old model.
What exactly is the privileged information you're referring to?
Listen I know this is an old thread and don't know If you end up buying one of them but I tell you I have one of these machines and once you get to know them , there's nothing better on the market in either operating format better . No better 6 ton mini and no better 75hp class track loader . You instantly put yourself in a higher class on both platforms in terms of functionality
Yes I did buy one: HeavyEquipmentForums