I've been looking for a dump truck to use doing some of my small excavating jobs I do on the side. There is a 2000 Ford F-650 26,000lbs GVWR, manual transmission, with a Cummins 5.9 with hydraulic brakes at an upcoming auction. I've had experience driving F-550 size trucks with hydraulic brakes and large tandem and tri axle dump trucks with air brakes. I'm just wondering if the F-650 with hydraulic brakes would have adequate stopping power? Truck would be used for short runs locally.
don’t have specific knowledge, but generally speaking, if they’ve worked for 20 years, i’d think they would be considered safe.
I'm pushing density of almost 30k lbs in my 34 yr old International S1900 with juice brakes and I been up and down mountains across the US, plenty stopping power if you plan accordingly.
Thanks for the responses. I kinda figured they would be adequate as long as common sense is used. The truck I'm looking at has a manual transmission so being in the right gear at the right time will certainly help as well.
Hydraulic brakes are not what I look for. VT where I live, and elsewhere I think has a loophole. You need CDL over 26000, you don't under, air brakes or not. In my experience, air brakes stop every time, unless they fail. If they fail, you don't begin your trip. I love air brakes. If you intend to tow a trailer over 10,000 LBS rated, you need another class of CDL. Many states have another exemption if total is not over 26000. If you understand that, you are smarter than me. A 12000 LB rated trailer empty, towed by a 14500 rated truck empty, needs a class A with trailer endorsement. A 12000 rated trailer fully loaded towed by a fully loaded truck rated 13,500 does not require CDL at all, even if air brakes are involved.
Yes, I completely agree that air brakes are the better system. I have my class A CDL so pulling a trailer over 10000lbs isn't a problem. However, buying the truck to use doing side jobs I've found there is a significant price drop in insurance costs to stay under 26,000lbs. GVWR. And many trucks in this weight class have hydraulic brakes. Any other thoughts are appreciated.
Also if anyone would like to chime in as to what they think a 2000 Ford F-650 dump truck, Cummins 5.9, 60,000mi. manual transmission and hydraulic brakes is worth please feel free to post.
Lucus Gerling brakes can work fine but when they don't very expensive to repair. Look to see how much they are "seeping" (they all leak some). If the lines are rusty (both hydraulic and brake fluid) be prepared to replace them the factory steel lines are mostly unavailable so you will have to make up some. You can spend $3,000 to $5,000 rebuilding this brake system. With that low of mileage I would be concerned the truck sat to much; That brake system does not like to sit for long periods of time. Good news IMO we have one and it is good truck for light small jobs. Good luck!
I have not found that to be true. I have a separate policy for two trucks, both diesel, a Chevy 3500, and until July a Chevy C65. It was titled & registered at 26000. I bought a fire truck, & converted it to a dump body. Virtually the same set up, but titled, rated, & registered at 28000. Policy premium is $450. per year.
That should have 4 wheel disc I’m pretty sure I’d look at installing some form of engine brake if it doesn’t already have one