Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

looking at purchasing a used self propelled roller have questions

lake side bob ยท 2011-11-14 14:12

Thinking of upgradig to a self propelled smooth drum roller. Thinking of a 54 inch wide drum. Not sure if need both drum and wheel powered unit what do you think? Is 54 inch too small for a self propelled unit, it would be on residential and small commercial sites one acre size lots. They are about the size of a skid steer and only weigh around 9000 lbs. Wondering if its big enough to compact soil to meet commercial compaction requirements? Any machine that you would communicate I should stay away from? Looked at CAT compactors they are costly, wondering for a compactor is the CAT name worth it, not looking at resale value right now, but wondering about difference in quality of machines CAT vs others like a Compac, any comments? What suggestions onn what I should look at on the machines?

Replies4
  1. #1stumpjumper832011-11-22 20:43

    The only one I was ever on that I detested more than the others was a dynapac. Seemed hard to manuver, kinda clucky feeling...

  2. #2Queenslander2011-11-24 06:03

    I too need a roller for a road maintenance job I've just received. Initially thought about renting, but with the wet season just around the corner and only so many days allowed for standown, it could get a little costly. There is an Ingersoll Rand SD100D coming up at auction shortly, and at the right price may prove to be a viable option. Anyone else had experience with these machines? Cheers, Greg

  3. #3KSSS2011-11-25 13:11

    When it comes to compaction it seems some of the short line companies have more authority in this area. IR which is now under Volvo seems to be a market leader for about every type of ride on compaction product. Hamm, Bomag, Dynapac and Amman are all common names in this area. I have owned a Amman built doube drum which is marketed by CASE and really like it. The operator station is so well insulatied you cant hardly feel the vibration in the seat and the visibility is excellent which is something I never liked about the newer IR DD24. The visibility is not nearly as good, in my view. I think the general story line here is if your not familiar with some of these companies, I would take a couple hours and check out their websites and edjucate yourself on the differences and advantages of the different configurations and different OEM's. Go to Machinery Trader, pull up compaction and investigate the names you see most often. Although CAT is a player in this as well, it is market that seems dominated by less familar specialty OEMs.

  4. #4GAmeric2011-12-15 17:52

    KSSS has the right of it just like cars every manufacturer has it's pro's and cons. No matter what you buy take a look at the isolator rubber pads. This will keep your operators happier because they can work all day and not feel like their fillings are rattling out. Also I would reccomend Sakai, Volvo(Formerly Ingersoll Rand), Dynapac. Depending on the size you can also look at hamm but Ingersoll/Volvo has a good parts base across the US.