I bought 40 acres of land and need to build a road approx. 1/4 mile through the forest. I want to build my last house, 40x80 shop, wood shed, and a few outbuildings. I already own a dump truck, cat D4H LGP model, and a smaller Kubota backhoe tractor (9.5' dig) with 1/2 yard bucket and think I need an excavator to help with the clearing and dig the foundations. My 5500 truck and my gooseneck limit me to about 27-29000 lbs so that's why I am looking at a 120 size. It needs a thumb. I want to spend around 40-45k. I have been on the search for this size and there are plenty to choose from. What are peoples thoughts about different brands and what should I be looking for? I have found some 2004-2006 deeres and hitachis in that area. Pros cons? Thanks. First post but have been following the dozer section for years.
http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/12282733/2004-deere-120c That one doesn't look too bad, the pin grabber would allow you to swap between a narrow bucket for pulling stumps and one thats a little larger for digging your basement.
Deere is Hitachi and a very good machine . Yes on Q/C and thumb . All of the major brand excavators are good , if taken care of . I ran a Kobelco in that weight range that had a dozer blade on it also . Very handy . Just make sure they did not use the bucket to bust concrete 12 " thick ! Good luck and enjoy .
I actually have been talking to him about it. It is under 40,000 although he said the cleanout bucket needs some work. There are a few up by seattle that I want to look at as well. They are 05 hitachi's with less hours, but more money. Around 45-49. Anyone have any thoughts on hitachi's coming over from japan used? I know the company is buying them from overseas used, putting on a hydraulic thumb and selling them. Wasn't sure if they were built to different specs or not.