When you wake up every morning, do you dread going to work? At work, are you just THERE and feel like you need more? Is it just a job and not an adventure? When you get your paycheck...…….do you look at it in disgust knowing your making money for the MAN and not yourself? Do you have to tell your pets you cant afford their food any longer? Do you look at your pets like they could be your next meal? Does your wife nag you to be a better man? LOL Look NO further my friends!!!! …………………………………………………………………………………..
OKLAHOMA!!!!!!!! The LAND OF OPPORTUNITY!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't see any "heavy equipment " I see a bunch of rental equipment for landscapers. Bwahahaha!!!!!
Always been my policy,if you hate going to work in the morning time to move on.
Working for a Rental Co. IS an adventure.!! Renters are ALWAYS coming up w/ new ways to f-up a machine.. Its a test of your fortitude, not to tell your boss to KYA when he's breathing down your neck screaming> This thing HAS TO GO OUT this evening.!! But for a "seasoned" mechanic.. ITS EASY MONEY.. All the ones around here dont really "repair" anything.. they get replacement engines & change oil.., I cant count on my hands & toes how many service calls I've made to Rental Co's.. just to bleed a fuel system.
The banners say techs. not mechanics so does that mean they want people who can hook up a lap top rather than someone who can actually fix things?
I try not to move anywhere, where rattlesnakes out number people... looks nice and all though.
I hate aerial equipment and telehandlers. What I have to say about the engineers at JLG is very much against this forum‘s terms. I have to work on some of each but it’s not a large portion of what I do.
Get me a green card and I'm on my way!
Man, you and I are exact opposites there....
I do not think you want a green card. That means you have to work on Deere Ag machines right? You want a yellow card. I am in! Silent partner position taken? I really can be quiet if I have an incentive.
Interesting point and worth consideration!
Even for you truck techs! Come one...…..come all!!!!
Rattlesnakes are utterly predictable, people less so. Ain't gonna catch Covid 19 from a snake. Some A hole leaving his snot on a doorknob, you might.
Trucks make me gag...
Wait til Tiny sees this!!!!
I mean green card like let me immigrate to the US lol. Just about done with Canada and its BS lol.
They are finally figuring out that mechanics aren’t a dime a dozen now that the shortage is becoming very real and hurting them.
Yeah, I was just taking an opportunity to say something stupid
OK, so Blocker, do you have your red card?
Blocker probably has whatever card the day of the week requires as resourceful as he is
Lately I think he has the 'crack' card...
That's why I live where the cold hurts my face
I jump about 5 feet in the air and scream like a 5 year old when I see a garden snake. I don't even want to imagine how high and what octave I could hit if I saw a rattlesnake. I have bears and cougars where I live and they are not much of a problem. Now, about the rain. How much does it rain in Oklahoma. I am getting sick of the rain, living in a coastal rain forest and all.
Down here in tropical VT I plan, hope, and plot for a day dry enough in spring and fall to blow the leaves. Been several years since I blew them dry. Almost always I blow slop. Clearing wet leaves is harder. We have been known to get three days without rain, not in spring, not in fall. Recent years, not even in winter.
Rattlesnakes don't even bother me anymore, usually I know where I will see them and tend to expect it. I was welding a well tie-in once while the electricians were wiring power from the panel to the motor on a new install, they opened the panel and found four snakes coiled up in the bottom, one guy took a piece of 1/2" EMT and made a snare with some 16 gauge wire and "relocated" all 4 of them. I don't think the snakes were happy.
Relocated them.... what he didn't want to chop em' up and keep a trophy???
No, a seriously strange guy that took them off to the side and turned them loose. Earlier on that job we had 860' of well casing laid out on skids and about every third or fourth joint would dump a snake when the rig lifted it. The tagline guys weren't impressed.
Id go south in a heartbeat, im tired of these anarchistic roadblockers. Here in BC no one will even step and help you if you challenge them.My hats off to the Albertans that do challenge them!
Did someone say rattlesnakes, I say hell yeah, need some good dress boots.
Looks a lot like the ones I see around here.
Not sure how the working across the border works. A friend of mine has been working in the Virgin Islands for a few years as an electrician at a rock quarry. The company had all the paperwork looked after, everything was legit. He went to go back down in January, and paperwork or not, they wouldn't let him cross the border to get to the airport. He is aloud back into the states, but not aloud back to the island. The company....Florida Rock I think are trying to get things sorted out, but they are basicly being told that the government is putting a cap on forien workers in the country.
Not sure how it works now but I had a friend who did the cross border thing for years. He was working for a Canadian company that got bought out by and American company, the head office was moved to Texas. My friend was a tech and worked internationally on repairs but he would have to be in Texas on a regular basis. He eventually was in Huston working as a trainer. The company wanted him to move to the states but he resisted, when the push came to shove and they told him to move or quit, so he quit and they relented and let him stay on and live in Canada. Can't remember his scheduled. I think a month on month off. He worked that way for a few years. He never had any issues going back and forth and his passport had stamps from so many country's That guy had the best stories, I would get an email with a picture and have to guess where he was. Unfortunately, he became quite ill two years ago, just passed away in February.
Temporary foreign workers were a big problem in Alberta when things started to slow down. Too many qualified Albertans out of work and they're bringing in foreign workers for less money. A lot of workers from other provinces were also here. There were lots of stories where they went back home and just left their unpaid vehicles at the airport with the keys in them with a note. They came here expecting to hit the jackpot, bought a bunch of expensive toys and then the economy went South. It's only got worse... in large part because of the PM and people like BC's premier who are against pipelines coming from Alberta but fine with pipelines originating in BC. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-tfw-restriction-1.4076837
TFW's and transient workers from out of province are a bit of a sore spot with me. I have some big money invested in living in the north for work and it really got under my skin during the last boom. It was complete BS waiting 2-3 weeks to see a doctor because they were booked solid with pre-employment physicals for these camp workers. They didn't invest a dime to come up here and they just sucked all the resources up.
A lot of the temporary workers were applying for citizenship so they could stay here permanently. On the flip side there was a stink over the building of the new arena in Edmonton because some workers from the US were brought in for a few weeks. Specialists with extensive knowledge for a specific task and I have no problem with that. Kind of like having a factory technician coming in to help solve a complex problem.
I must have not wiped my card when I put it back in the toolbox last time. It must have rusted ....everything lately has been old and rusted that I got to touch Ronsii is probably most rightest though....crack card. ‘Bout got that wrapped up for now though (see picture thread shortly)!
Thanks! Hey, text me your email. I have something you might like
Oklahoma? I spent a year in Cement one day.
Is that still there??? (Moving wallet into quick draw position)
If you are serious, I saw that in the middle of a town called Chickasha,OK. it was last winter and the best directions I ca give you is; if you are headed North on Highway 81 S. it is behind a fence on the West side of highway between W. Highway 277 and (about a two mile stretch I always missed it the first time) County Road 1390, I don't think it is any farther North but I'm using MapQuest and memory. That should get you close here are two large format pictures that may help .
LOL MD, It is a cool looking rig though!!!
Its a Ford and already has my name on it!!! DAMN I hate not having some expendable income right now!
Driving in West Texas through Arizona you find all kinds of vehicles on the side of highways with minimal rust. I’m sure money talks and feelings would walk
Well I'll be ..... it is!!!! this was my background for awhile
Going back to the snake thing.... GARTER SNAKES CAN BE SUPER DEADLY Snakes also known as Garter Snakes (Thamnophissirtalis) can be dangerous. Yes, grass snakes, not rattlesnakes. Here’s why. A couple in Sweetwater, Texas, had a lot of potted plants. During a recent cold spell, the wife was bringing a lot of them indoors to protect them from a possible freeze. It turned out that a little green garden grass snake was hidden in one of the plants. When it had warmed up, it slithered out and the wife saw it go under the sofa. She let out a very loud scream. The husband (who was taking a shower) ran out into the living room naked to see what the problem was. She told him there was a snake under the sofa. He got down on the floor on his hands and knees to look for it. About that time the family dog came and cold-nosed him on the behind. He thought the snake had bitten him, so he screamed and fell over on the floor. His wife thought he had had a heart attack, so she covered him up, told him to lie still and called an ambulance. The attendants rushed in, would not listen to his protests, loaded him on the stretcher, and started carrying him out. About that time, the snake came out from under the sofa and the Emergency Medical Technician saw it and dropped his end of the stretcher. That’s when the man broke his leg and why he is still in the hospital. The wife still had the problem of the snake in the house, so she called on a neighbor who volunteered to capture the snake. He armed himself with a rolled-up newspaper and began poking under the couch.. Soon he decided it was gone and told the woman, who sat down on the sofa in relief. But while relaxing, her hand dangled in between the cushions, where she felt the snake wriggling around. She screamed and fainted, the snake rushed back under the sofa. The neighbor man, seeing her lying there passed out, tried to use CPR to revive her. The neighbor’s wife, who had just returned from shopping at the grocery store, saw her husband’s mouth on the woman’s mouth and slammed her husband in the back of the head with a bag of canned goods, knocking him out and cutting his scalp to a point where it needed stitches. The noise woke the woman from her dead faint and she saw her neighbor lying on the floor with his wife bending over him, so she assumed that the snake had bitten him. She went to the kitchen and got a small bottle of whiskey, and began pouring it down the man’s throat. By now, the police had arrived. Breathe here… They saw the unconscious man, smelled the whiskey, and assumed that a drunken fight had occurred. They were about to arrest them all, when the women tried to explain how it all happened over a little garden snake! The police called an ambulance, which took away the neighbor and his sobbing wife. Now, the little snake again crawled out from under the sofa and one of the policemen drew his gun and fired at it. He missed the snake and hit the leg of the end table. The table fell over, the lamp on it shattered and, as the bulb broke, it started a fire in the drapes. The other policeman tried to beat out the flames, and fell through the window into the yard on top of the family dog who, startled, jumped out and raced into the street, where an oncoming car swerved to avoid it and smashed into the parked police car. Meanwhile, neighbors saw the burning drapes and called in the fire department. The firemen had started raising the fire ladder when they were halfway down the street. The rising ladder tore out the overhead wires, put out the power, and disconnected the telephones in a ten-square city block area (but they did get the house fire out). Time passed! Both men were discharged from the hospital, the house was repaired, the dog came home, the police acquired a new car and all was right with their world. A while later they were watching TV and the weatherman announced a cold snap for that night. The wife asked her husband if he thought they should bring in their plants for the night. And that’s when he shot her.
Thank you, I needed that you brought several smiles to my face.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! sounds like something I should have dreamed up for the what gives thread...
There is an old Country song "Cause & effect.......chain of events.
Old!!!???? How dare you!! That song came out while I was working for the county, so it was just a few... oh..errr...damb...oh well...
North carolina looked like that 6 months ago even all the smaller private owned places had signs up.
I could get real romantic about that! I'd even leave Daves name on the door. Hmmm It would be cooler than cool. Need a 7.3 power stroke F450 donor. Thanks Dan for the info!!
Ok I wasn't going to but... not trying to start a shouting match. I know that a lot of people have a beef with the tfws, but the camp workers. I never went out west like most did. I know a lot who did. I was led to believe that there was some sort of workforce shortage in Alberta. Companies came to New Brunswick, basicly begging guys to go out to work. My neighbor a retired power engineer was hounded by a company to go out. After 2 years, they sent him an offer that he showed me. Keep in mind that he was 69 years old at this time. The e-mail offered him 2 weeks out and 2 weeks home plus 2 days travel, so 16 days off. paid flights and living. $72.00 an hour for day shift and $84.50 for nights. 12 hour days with time and a half after 8. He did 2 weeks of days then back for 2 weeks of nights. It was crazy. The message gave a bunch of details and pretty much said that if he turned down this offer, that they would never bother him again. He said he always wanted to see what was out there, so he went out till the job was done, around 18 months. made a boatload of cash and then retired for good. I know a few spots that were offering operators from here that worked out there money to bring guys back with them. I also know there would be some undesirables amongst the crowd. a few guys I work with were aloud to come home for the summer, and they still had work for them when they went back at the end of season here. Our asphalt spreader driver used to go out and run loader all winter. Said he made more in 60 days out there than all season here.
In a previous marriage it was what we did for giggles...go out and corral some old see through lovely that the present owner wasn't "saving for his great nephew Ernie five times removed who was going to restore that someday." In a couple years we would have it up and running and go find another one. It is of course, certainly the prerogative of the current owner to save it for "Ernie" and best of luck with it. However when you go by 15 or 20 years later and it is still sitting in it's "grave," it is a little frustrating. I get it. I have things that I will never sell. My kids may trash them when I'm gone and wonder why I hung on to that for my whole like.
I get that. I have my father's last truck. Nothing special just a 96 F150. I drove it for a few years, but it was in need of some major body work, which I didn't have the time or money for, so I parked it. A lot of the young fellas want these trucks, and would often come knocking at the door offering me money for it. I put a new battery in my newer truck, so I popped the old one in the 96, and started her up. Chug chug glug glug knock knock knock knock knock. I think she turned bearing.