Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for a rough guess for weight….

Stroker ยท 2006-01-26 23:13

I have a homeowner who wants me to cut up and haul off some downed trees from his yard. I would like to give him as close an estimate as possible for the dumping fees. As you may know I just started in business back in December so practically every job I get is still a new experience for me. Just wondering "roughly" how much a load in a 16 foot bed with 48 inch sides might weigh with cut up pine trees and brush....

Replies6
  1. #1Jeff D.2006-01-27 00:54

    Stroker,I checked with a guy who logs,he said pine averages 4500lbs per cord,You could put 4 cord in your box,so wood only,stacked could be as high as 18k. I mentioned that it would be branchs,twigs,and everything else in there also,thrown in willy nilly.He said it would depend on how tight everything was together,but thought around 10k,maybe less.Jackpine is lighter than Norway pine.We don't have much white pine here so he didn't know if it were those what the weight might be then. So around 10k,and that's my final answer.

  2. #2Dozerboy2006-01-27 18:23

    That sounds a little high if anything.

  3. #3Jeff D.2006-01-27 19:23

    I was suprised at 4500lbs/cord for pine.But that's what he said,and the guy I called hauls firewood out of the woods to sell,so I'd guess he'd know??I imagine it is alot heavier fresh cut and wet,than when we normally see it mostly dried out. The mix of everything really could vary alot,and would depend on how big the air gaps were amongst the branches,etc. But atleast it's someplace too start.

  4. #4PSDF3502006-01-27 21:57

    here is something you can use to figuire weights. http://www.forestryforum.com/cacls/logs_weight.htm Link doesn't work quit right but follow link then scroll down to toolbox. Hope it helps.

  5. #5Jeff D.2006-01-27 22:55

    PSDF350,that's a neat site. It looks like 4 cord (4'x8'x16') of pine,depending on the species,is between 12,800lbs and 18,800lbs. So if he filled up the box flush,but was only able to get 50-75% capacity due to air spaces and such,it would be 6400lbs on the low side,14,100lbs on the high side. Splitting the difference for an average comes out to 10,250lbs.

  6. #6PSDF3502006-01-28 20:04

    Yea Jeff there is alot of good info and great people over there.