Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for a source for big cutting edges

farmerlund ยท 2021-08-14 12:20

Hey Guys looking for Some large citting edges for a 7.5yd bucket on a 500 Komatsu loader. Its a two piece center with short end bits. Center ones are 59.25 inches long by 15.5-16 inches deep and about 1 1/4" thick. They have 2 bolts close together 4" than a wide space. Also wondering about better hardness rating. we get around 500-600hrs out of them now. Gravel pit operation loading the screen and trucks nothing out of the normal. The ones from the local dealer are around $2,000 for edges and bolts. just trying to find a better edge. Thanks.

Replies19
  1. #1farmerlund2021-08-14 12:22
  2. #2_Weldman_2021-08-14 16:26

    Grab some flat stock AR500 on same dimensions you have for thickness, width and length, drill holes for the bolts and get after it with a portable bandsaw making a cutting edge. It's what I did.

  3. #3skyking12021-08-14 16:32

    are the main sections reversible?

  4. #4Jonas3022021-08-14 21:29

    https://www.krisengineering.com/about Best pricing and service that I have found they are only an hour drive so pretty handy for me too a BlackCat edge for 980g with bolt costs me 1325 different bolt patter but similar in size Edge hours are hard to compare but we have extremely abrasive rock always get a full season out of them feeding crusher sometimes more depending on the pit and operator Edges are reversible and we always give them a flip but its the bottoms that wear out when the countersink for the bolt heads are wore though they are done its always the corner bits that fall off first

  5. #5JLarson2021-08-15 01:13

    I would see if you can see a local ground engagement parts supplier. We have one here that will make pretty much anything cutting edge plus they are a AR plate supplier, I'd rather go to them then the dealers.

  6. #6skyking12021-08-15 10:03

    I'd like to make my own but that broach to hold the bolt would be a bugger to replicate. I suppose heat red hot and pound an old bolt in? I'd figure you could tack weld it on, then set up a mag drill and shoot the holes through the bucket holes to get the layout perfect.

  7. #7CM19952021-08-15 14:09

    Moved this thread from TLB's to the Wheel Loader forum. We have several aftermarket suppliers for all sorts of GET. I can buy a full set of teeth 9 total and a reversible cutting edge for one of our 279D buckets for the same price for just the teeth and retainers for genuine Cat. The aftermarket stuff wears a little faster but not enough to make the $$ difference work. 953C teeth are from the same aftermarket outfit. A full set is 1/3 the cost of Cat and wear the same.

  8. #8CM19952021-08-15 17:59

    Here's the one for our CTL bucket. It was less than $140. Don't if they make larger to fit your 500 loader.

  9. #9farmerlund2021-08-15 18:11

    yes they are all reversable

  10. #10skyking12021-08-15 18:53

    Those broached holes are why I will be buying my next cutting edge for the 4' bucket. That feature I can't see replicating in really hard steel.

  11. #11CM19952021-08-15 19:18

    Sky that's an 80" edge for $140. I see no reason or savings trying to fab one myself.

  12. #12skyking12021-08-15 19:30

    My challenge is finding one that fits. The last one was good on the bolt holes but too short.

  13. #13CM19952021-08-15 19:51

    Might be a little unorthodox but you might want to make the holes in your bucket fit an edge you can easily and economically get.

  14. #14JLarson2021-08-15 23:30

    We do that a lot for customers that have like one odd bucket that otherwise would take an edge they use on other loaders, doesn't take much with a mag drill and an annular.

  15. #15DMiller2021-08-16 06:08

    Look up Ground Engagement Tools, found these two right off. Company I am working for uses ITR. Ground Engagement Tools for excavators | ITR Benelux Aftermarket Ground Engaging Tools (GET). Replacement Parts (heavyquip.com)

  16. #16farmerlund2021-08-16 13:55

    Ya they are 1.5" thick so I wull not be trying to make them. I found a couple places to get quotes from so we will see.

  17. #17Bluox2021-08-16 14:39

    Do you ever replace the heel plates? Bob

  18. #18farmerlund2021-08-16 21:59

    Replaced them once. They are really thick. 2"?

  19. #19farmerlund2021-08-20 19:40

    Ordered some edges from equipment blades in SD. 1.5" thick. AR500 So we will see how they wear next year.