Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

looking for a supplier for AR steel to reface a dozer blade

oldirt ยท 2013-09-07 20:30

been searching some for a supplier for some ar steel to cover my beat up dozer blade, found one possibility but they say they can't roll anything harder than 1/4" hardox 240. I guess that is much better than mild steel, but I am in the dark as to what I should be looking for and better yet somebody who would get interested enough in this to sell me some product. thanks for anyone's thoughts..

Replies9
  1. #1clintm2013-09-07 21:59

    I have bought from both ford steel and ( astrolloy I believe they are in Birmingham Alabama )you should be able to make a template out of thin cardboard paper that you can rollup to mail to them for the correct radius. hardox is also another source it just another brand name from Sweden. I would use a minimum of AR400 most of the half round end dump trailers now are AR450 or AR500.you may have to have it in two pieces it depends on how thick you what it and how wide your dozer blade is

  2. #2lantraxco2013-09-07 23:42

    Out here they call it "Formalloy" which comes in various grades, 400 being a favorite. They don't roll it they "bump" it on a press brake, leaves lots of little bends which amounts to the same form in the end. Any good steel distributor should be able to flame or plasma cut your pieces and form them to your specs. Ideal Steel is usually pretty good.

  3. #3oldirt2013-09-08 06:43

    thanks guys.

  4. #4Construct'O2013-09-10 21:29

    Local welding shop here gets there stuff rolled at the place that builds fueltanks.Might check around see who builds fuel tanks close too you.They have to roll the metal for there tanks.Not sure the thickness or hardness.Good luck

  5. #5grandpa2013-09-11 21:52

    I get my dozer sole's from my cat dealer.. you never said what brand you have, but the cat sole's fit right into my cat blade's like a saddle on a sow. Weld em in, good to go.

  6. #6mitch5042013-09-11 22:21

    Umm, Granpa, I'm not real surprised since it's you, but, around here we saddle and ride horses, not hogs.

  7. #7oldirt2013-09-12 13:40

    thanks Denny.. found a place near carter lake (I think it is actually omaha) that can do this, I gave them patterns so we'll see..

  8. #8Scrub Puller2013-09-12 17:11

    Yair . . . Out in the sticks on a D8 I have put on a layer of 3/8" ploughsteel (as we used to call it) in two foot wide strips and just formed it to shape with the tractor pushing rail-ties up against a stump . . . bit of messing around but it came out pretty good actually. Cheers.

  9. #9grandpa2013-09-12 19:48

    You gotta be dry behindst thine ears to appreciate the saying.