my skid steer is 12K pounds and I'm not comfortable putting it on a trailer with 14k axles. I can't find a manufacturer anywhere that makes what I'm looking for. here's my criteria, any advise appreciated. pintle hitch between the tires lowboy 83" wide (not deckover) tandem 9-10k pound axles with 17.5 or 19.5 tires or triple 7k pound axles with 8 hole 16" tires 16-20' long Hydraulic tilt would be an added bonus, but not a requirement
Towmaster makes a trailer similar to what you describe - http://www.towmaster.com/model_t-18dd.asp
Why are you not considering a 10 ton? It would give you plenty of room for expansion and safety. I guess the drawback would be that it would be deckover. I personally prefer a deckover for equipment transport.
What are you going to pull this trailer with? A tandem rear axle dump truck or smaller truck like single rear axle dump or heavy pickup. The problem I see with the Towmaster at the link above is that the axles are way back, so whatever is towing it will have to be able to handle a lot of tongue weight. Around here the trailer of choice for the heavy skid steers is a TrailMax T16. It has 17.5 tires, tilt bed, 82.5 between wheel wells. Also these tilt decks are perfectly balanced and you can just step on one end or the other or push with your hand to tilt it. http://www.trailmax.com/Utility/t-16-ut_(4+16).htm
Try Hudsontrailers.com they're the standard around here.
http://www.towmaster.com/model_t-16t.asp we have 7 of the t16t trailers. they are the best towing little trailer we have ever owned. we also just picked up the felling in the link below. we got it for our tak tl150. so far its a great trailer at a decent price. http://www.felling.com/trailers/drop-deck/eseries/ft-18-3de.asp what bobcat do you have that wieghs 12,000 lbs?
Gehl model 605 (I think). pulling it behind a gangtruck/rigup truck, hence the pindle hitch and not deck over to keep teh center of gravity low.
don't take this as me trying to be a "know it all" I could be very wrong. The gehl 7810 wieghs 10,500lbs and I believe its the biggest skid-steer they make. I don't see you're machine weighing 12,000 unless you have a few attachments you plan on hauling around on the trailer. Double check your wieght before you go purchasing a new trailer. It could save you a boat loud of money.
Even if you do have 12000 lbs. on your trailer, not all that weight is on the trailer axles.... some of that weight will be on the tongue of the trailer and therefore should be transferred to the truck. :beatsme?????????????? Right? Most trailers are slightly nose heavy.... at least they should be.
The Gehl weighs in at 10.5K as a bare machine. Usually manufacturers list the operating weight as a "bare machine". Add a bucket or other attachment, A/C, enclosed cab, hydraulic quick attach, high flow, foam filled tires, etc and a large skid could be pushing 12K lbs give or take a few 100 lbs. For example a 4 in 1 bucket can add 1-1.2K lbs to the skid. The Bobcat T320 with roller suspension is a "dry" 10.3K lbs. Add a 4 in 1, deluxe cab with A/C, radio, high flow, hyd quick attach and you will be close to 12K lbs as well.
tjones96761 since your in Oklahoma I would look at a Belshe, I watched a buddy of mine with one of their 12000# trailer abuse it all the time, he would load his bobcat T300 up with a bunch of RR ties on the front of it and never fazed the trailer at all, so I bought a 16000# trailer to haul my Cat 304ccr or 287b on and it works great. Tow masters are basically the same trailer to, but you get up to the 16000# range and their not cheap. http://www.belshetrailers.com/t16_2ep.html
Kauffman, makes a nice line of trailers, check them out, for a custom build
I hear ya. I'm just saying that the largest machine Gehl makes ( which is not the one the original poster has ) is less than the wieght he mentioned. Most of my machines wiegh close to they are advertised. We always bring new equipment to a scale so we don't have a DOT issue. Here is my tl150 on my new felling ft18-3 the trailer has a 23,800 gvw which is overkill but it rides and stops like nothing I've ever pulled.
Thanks guys, I've got some calls into belshe, felling, and towmaster. they all seem to be what i'm looking for. 7810 seems to be the right model, not sure though. it is the biggest Gehl they make. dealer told me empty weight was 10,900, no attachments, fuels or fluids. plan on carrying a 4 way bucket and Kansas Klipper.
I have the Towmaster T18 as shown in the picture. While the trailer is one of the most solid trailers I've ever owned, it is heavy(empty). Pulls great, have no worries about the weight of any mini ex or jumbo skiddy, and actually pulls real nice and smooth loaded or empty. If I needed to add a trailer' I'd add another Towmaster. Did I mention it wasn't cheap. However, after 18 years of buying cheap trailers; "you get what you pay for," as others can agree with.
I was thinking it was ok, but then I realized if you take the weight of the trailer into account (not sure how much it weighs?) you're probably still over..... even with 10 - 15% transferred to the truck! 14,000 lbs. axles - 2,500 lbs.(est.) trailer = 11,500 lbs. x 1.10 = 12,650 lbs. max payload, as long as you're loaded correctly!:drinkup Or maybe I'm retarded?:beatsme
Trailking, second to none, great trailers, I think. I have 2 of them and love them.