I recently purchased this old grader but cannot find any brand or model markings on it. I was wondering if someone could give me a hand. It see
Could be a lot of things, including partially home-made. Start looking on the lift gearboxes, see if there is any raised letters, in the casting lids, where the operator can see 'em...
I've never seen a two wheeled one. It is very basic. Not many adjustable components. Gallion was the big name I've seen American Road Machine built both towed, and transformer style incorporating farm tractors in the frame. I've seen 30 miles from home, a Farmall M. It has extended frame with a multi adjustable underslung blade. I was buying a Christmas tree this winter, and spotted a Caterpillar towed four wheel leaning wheel grader. Lots of small towns had them. They didn't necessarily have machines to tow, so they contracted the tractor. Willie
There is actually a raised 'ME' on some of the components but I'm not sure what company that would be for.
There is a raised 'ME' on the gearboxes but I'm not sure what company that might be.
It does look a bit home made with parts from another tow behind grader.
Glad to see you made it. Hopefully someone will see this and recognize your grader. You might try to take a good pic of the stampings?
Iron wheels were the more common thing on the oldest ones. I presume large teams of horses pulled the earliest ones, hence the 4 wheels. I wonder if yours is more modern? Being a "trailer" it would need a substantial tractor to tow it. The hitch mechanism is very foreign to me. Might there have been a "Jeep" that was towed by whatever, that this was connected to. Not your run of the mill road machine. Willie
Most all these old graders started out with 4 wheels. Nearly every township had one for use on the local dirt roads. Many had the front wheels removed and modified to use with a three point hitch so a person riding and controlling the grader was no longer required. The tractor operator could control the cut via the three point. That being said there is a lot of info on these old graders on the ACMOC site. Post a picture there and someone may very likely ID it.
I'm gonna disagree, that looks newer than a lot of the more elegant four wheel graders that were typical of the 30's or before. I'm guessing it's made in the 40's or 50's and was an evolved factory design. It looks well thought out, and made to hitch to a tractor, a cheaper simpler version of the complicated pull graders. Maybe even a war special?
I agree. The main beams were never designed to fasten to a front axle. This grader could even be pulled behind a truck with the right drawbar. It's the only one I've ever saw on rubber. Very common to see them around here on steel.
What you say makes sense. Save the extra man right from the factory.