I have a miller tilt top with electric brakes, I need replacement shoes and a magnet. Does anyone know where a person can find parts? the shoes are 5 1/2 X 12 1/4 . The magnet is a complete circle 10" diameter.
Round magnets are obsolete. You sure of the 5.5 inch width?
They are 5.5, if this setup will work, I will have to change everything including the backing plate. I don't know if the magnet will work. I am attaching a couple of pictures. There is a spring loaded ring of pads in the drum that the magnet rides on.
That looks to be Warner 12.25x5.5, of which, my internet deep dive has found ZERO info, including conversion.
That definitely looks like it.
Yard Dog I've got the same hub as you on a Miller tilt trailer. Did you ever find any parts or information in regards to a replacement or repair?
I have the same problem, did you ever find a conversion for the trailer brakes? Thanks a bunch!
I have not, I have thought about changing axles but that won't be a simple task or cheap.
Sorry I am just now replying to you. I have not had any luck finding parts. Yours looks like mine only in much better shape.
Talked with a grey beard at 6 Roblees today, I guess Miller went out of business ~20 years ago. Said parts were all in house made, so best bet is getting lucky finding a cross for parts, or converting to Dexter, etc brakes with new backing plates (which isn't that huge a deal... just only "another" project... right? Grey beard said they were built like brick **** houses and competitors building lesser for less $$ pushed them out. Searching online most of the trailers I find are 1960s-early 80s, makes me think they didn't make anything beyond that, or not many. Mine is titled as a 1981,
I also have an early 80s miller tilt 5th wheel style lowboy. I'd agree its built like a brick **** house. I think unless it burns, itll outlast me. Not much info out there on them but they are definitely worth having if they fit your need.
I found some "8k" brakes that I think will fit. Might have to drill a few holes, they are 4 bolt vs 7, but that's OK. Will be nice having brakes, it's a heavy trailer. I'd guess 5k+ empty. With ~10k on it, my 5500 isn't too happy stopping it.
has anyone on here found any set of brakes that will work for replacing the whole brake assembly. the issue i am running into is that my miller tilt top trailer is rated for 32,000 pounds. and i am not able to find any brake assemblies that have the 12 1/4 " x 5 1/2" brake shoe and is rated for the weight that each wheel can hull. the closet i came was 12 1/4" x 5" but i am not sure if that will work. also do i need to replace the drums as well and if so then how do i know it will work with my trailer? any information that anyone has would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance for any information.
Amazon.com: 12-1/4" X 3-3/8" (12.25" X 3.375") Electric Trailer Brake Assembly Pair for 8000 LBS (8K) Trailer Axles Left and Right Electric Trailer Brakes : Automotive Buy 12-1/4" X 3-3/8" (12.25" X 3.375") Electric Trailer Brake Assembly Pair for 8000 LBS (8K) Trailer Axles Left and Right Electric Trailer Brakes: Trailer Brakes - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases a.co
What i got for mine. Miller made their own parts and went tits up in the 90s is what I was told. As far as drums, no idea. I used sandpaper and a grinder to clean them up. I've been running it without brakes for over a year so figured some brakes couldn't be worse than none.
I appreciate the help but those brakes wont work for my setup i have 12/1/4" x 5 1/2" drum brakes and each axle is rated for 16,000 lbs. but thank you for the help
i understand and thank you for the information.
It's what I used. Was close enough to what came off. Wasn't going to spend a ton on a couple thousand dollar trailer that tows like complete crap being it's got no springs!
Did you ever find shoes for these? I need to replace mine as I have worn them out and am having a hell of a time finding shoes.
Yes, few posts up.
I appreciate you trying tp help but those are not big enough for the brakes I have.
Get wider ones. Mine were smaller. It's only a 25k or 30k trailer. I was able to use the drums, though one was pretty rough. Wanted to get them turned but no one does that anymore apparently. With the magnet drums, I'd imagine easiest would be find a brake that runs bearing same ID as your spindle, or put a new spindle in. Id need to flip my trailer and pull the walking beams. No one greased it in many years and there's a good 3" of play. Tows ok aside from when I turn sharp. The tires rub the deck a bit.
50yrs ago 12.25x5.5 Miller only axle why? Update to air you're to heavy for a pickup. 32k trailer behind a gasser was garbage unsafe
To be clear, mine is 12.25x5.5 air brakes. My trailer must be heavier duty than most of the millers as it's rated for a 42,000 lb payload. I regularly haul two mini ex on it totaling around 21k lbs. I'll try to remember to take a picture of the data tag. 16.5k gawr. It's a 5th wheel trailer, not pintle. I've got an old school truck parts guy trying to find me shoes and or linings. I'll post the part numbers up if I find them.
If your shoes are good, we still have a local place that will reline them.
I tow mine with a 5500
80s Chevy c60 366 gcwr was 34000lbs. Pulling a 8 ton hoe trailer & juice brakes,braking was always weak no emergency power to stop.
If I can find the linings, I'd do it myself. These have bolt on style linings. I got part of the number off one of the other linings but so far my internet searches and my parts guys have come up with nothing from the number. I don't want to but I think tearing it down then figuring it all out is what I'm going to have to do.
This is my miller tilt top 5th wheel trailer. Its a 1980 model ogth830. Its 36 ft overall. The deck tilting up lines up with the upper deck over the kingpin. I really like this trailer for hauling my excavators around town. Itll carry my vio35 and kx057 in the same load behind my international 4300.
I've got to figure mine out. The deck isn't square to the base, so between that and a fair bit of slop in the axle pivots, one tire rubs the back of the deck.