Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking For Historical Info

trakloader ยท 2011-04-01 22:08

In Volume 78 of "The Lumberman" , February 1951, was a feature on Juskatla, BC. It included a picture of my Grandpa's Lima dragline, and other valuable info. If anyone can find a copy of it for me, I will make it worth your while!

Replies11
  1. #1trakloader2011-04-02 21:24

    Here it is on Google books, only available in snippet view. I understand that Americans may be able to download it? http://books.google.ca/books?id=Rb7kAAAAMAAJ&dq=editions:UOM39015007489001

  2. #2mitch5042011-04-03 00:19

    I have downloaded it into my library, it was free. Damned if I know what to do now, I'm trying to figure out how to send it to you.

  3. #3trakloader2011-04-03 00:42

    Wow, if you can get it to me, I'll have a 20ft. statue erected in your honour!

  4. #4KW850&T800H2011-04-03 01:22

    He's not kidding-he said I'd be entered into his will if I gave him a "Canadian" Kenworth emblem.

  5. #5tyyota2011-04-03 02:10

    Sorry Trakloader, I'm down in Arizona on vacation so I tried to get it for you but no luck T

  6. #6trakloader2011-04-03 15:07

    Thanks for trying, mitch504 was able to download it, but I can only get the "snippet view", enough to drive a guy nuts. Maybe don't use my link, try searching Google Books for "The Lumberman Volume 78".

  7. #7mitch5042011-04-03 18:29

    Sorry Trakloader, I have tried, but when it said I had it in my library, all I had was those damn snippets. I did some research on Google help, and it turns out the copyright owner hasn't agreed to it's being published through Google. All they can give us legally is those snippets. They said they give us them so we can see what is there, and can find it elsewhere. Sorry Man, I tried hard, Mitch

  8. #8trakloader2011-04-03 18:46

    Oh, well, you tried, and I sure do appreciate that! I wonder if Contract Logger was subscribed to "The Lumberman" in 1951, he may still have a copy.

  9. #9Contract Logger2011-04-03 18:52

    I had to let my subscrption go because by 1951 my eyesight had deteriorated to the point that couldn't read the darned thing anyway. I have 2 copies of "The Lumberman" I picked up someplace. They are in the 1940's and are mostly sawmill and very little logging. Wish I had more- I do see them from time to time on ebay but they go pretty high.

  10. #10trakloader2011-04-03 19:44

    Yeah, I hear that driving them old Garford logging trucks with no windshields was pretty hard on the eyes.... I've seen them magazines on E-Bay, from time to time. They sure do go high. I won't give up, though!

  11. #11trakloader2011-04-07 00:24

    Do any of you guys have one of the old "Otto Knows Better" safety posters?