Okay, so before you all say google this, I have, and I haven't found any specifics. My name is McCord, and I'm 22. I currently live in Santa Barbara county, California. I've been running equipment off and on for about 2-3 years now, and I am looking into getting into a union. First off, how do I apply? Also, how do I enroll in their training program? I think for my area it would be local 12. I was told if you get into the training program they pay you a salary. How much is it? Is it like a full time job or just nights and weekends? Thank for all the help!
Why don't you call the union hall? I couldn't tell you about any salary for training but just pick up the phone and ask.
yea thats my plan but i want to get more info first. i found out that they only accept applications once every two years. which is very disappointing. i still haven't figured out if its a full-time or a nights and weekends kind of thing. i work for a small family owned company and im being under paid and utilized. i just figured getting into a union would better help me get into a career and get me top notch training.
The only way to know is to ask them. http://www.oefi.org/local-12/ Anything we tell you on here is second hand information. For what it's worth, IF you have experience, I recommend trying to get in on a permit if they do that, rather than going through the years of formal training.
yea im going to call them monday also, i have about 3 years of experience as of right now. what do you mean by permit?
I don't know if Loacal 12 has permits, it's when you're not (yet) an actual member but you have a piece of paper that says you were dispatched to the job by the union. Again, you have to ask them this, anything I tell you about California is second hand infomation. But in some locals when they take in new people they start on a permit. Then, (IF YOU DONT SCREW UP!!!) after some probationary period (probably a year or more) you can apply for an upgrade to an actual union book. At least the loacals I know of. Not sure about Cali.
Without stirring the pot too much, can I ask you how much you're being paid? If you're only 22 with 3 yrs, you're probably not going to get paid what an experienced operator would get for at least a few more years. I also am speaking from experience. I was part of a family business for over 20 yrs.
sure, and thanks for the help. i make $16/hr right now. i don't expect a bunch of cash but for the position i'm in right now, for the company i'm working for i deserve more. and i am fully aware that everyone is just voicing their opinion, and not stating facts. thanks for the help.