Does anybody have any hints or suggestions on constructing them? And how to attach them to the blade without serious tooling or welding. Would like something that can bolt on and off pretty easy. This is going on at 12 ft mold board on a gallion 500. Any pictures and suggestions would be really helpful. Thank you
I think they're called snow gates. I would expect you need to do some welding to install them. Should come up in a Google search.
Saw this on a county machine recently. It floats on the top pin
The better ones are lifted with a hyd. cylinder. This allows the gate to be lifted out of the way from the cab when not needed.
Here's 1 style. Brandt | Snow Gate www.brandt.ca
Government graders use them here for asphalt patching. I would say the one you have pictured would be best, and easiest to remove. Those hydraulic snowgates are not really made for gravel, and are about $8000 a side to install. No matter what you do is going to mean some welding
J Paydirt on utube did a video mounting one on his grader a few weeks ago
Im not a grader guy,but that attachment looks as slick as pig poop. Nice to see a guy running his machine with the levers not a computer guided thing making him look like a rocstar.
I am not convinced that those are necessary or even needed. What he Says at the end of the video I highly doubt. It can done with out them. He was moving minor material. Half the time I am grading my mold board is full to the turn table and I need it to roll out the side. If they could be swung out for a bigger bite I would like it and then closed to help carry some material further on a long straight push that would be the way to go. But they would need to be operated on the fly Of course the first time it got shoved in the back tire and busts the tire I would be highly pissed. Already busted front tires with out the extra width Actually now that I think of it, it is a very bad idea would make the blade articulated less and harder to move material out of the way
J Paydirt has the same kind of slope meter I bought except his looks to be in degree's rather than percent. I wonder if he did a video of it?
I like the simplicity of this. I ran one on a state machine that was hydraulically pivoting but it was a monstrosity and constantly got in the way. I feel like it was probably designed more for snow than gravel. This looks like it would do the job and not be a job to take on and off. I don't see alot of use for this in maintenance blading, but it would be handy on shouldering jobs.
You could probably power a wing like that with a linear actuator.
Super simple set up that we have used for years when laying out gravel on roads No power just throw it back into the rack when done defiantly not for snow
JPaydirt has a pretty simple one too. He posted a video about it and the number of the guy who built it on the video comments.
This is a winner to me. Probably the cheapest to build, and easiest to install and remove. Very similar to what the DOT uses here to skim patch with asphalt.