Hello, First post. We have a sand and gravel pit in central IL. Our deposit goes 50' under the water table. We have a layer of hardpan that makes a hydraulic cutterhead dredge unviable. Have looked at several different setups on deep gravel removal, and we are convinced that a long boom dragline would be best for us. I am searching for a Manitowoc 4600 dragline, with 140' of boom, with a 7 or 7.5 cy bucket. Preferably twin cummins with 1150 and 855 (for fuel economy). Must be in "ready to work" condition. I know there are some coal guys on here. I was hoping maybe someone might know where there is a good one setting. We are aware of the cost to move the machine. Thank you
http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&Manu=MANITOWOC&MDLGrp=4600
I ran a bunch of them in the mid 70s down in south Fl. Most had 160’ booms with the first 80’ angular steel and then 80’ of angular aluminum. Running 7 yard buckets we dug lime rock at depths to about 65’. With the 140’ boom you could go with an 8 c.y.Hendrix bucket or a 7.5 in the heavier Esco or Page buckets. There’s still a lot of them down there working 24/7 in the quarries too. I would suspect that a few might be up for sale. Try E & I Corp, or Vulcan Materials Corp or the Lowell Dunn Co, among the few that I can recall.
I was going to direct you to pioneer coal in nov a scotia, but I see their machine is listed on machinery trader. Good machine. In coal and gypsum mostly
Cleveland crane and shovel can point you in the right direction.
www.mecorcranes.com Talk to Troy. He is a superman with Manitowocs and knows where a 4600 might be for sale.
I have a 4600, if your interested you can call me at 902 574 7453 Hello I have a 4600 dragline First post. We have a sand and gravel pit in central IL. Our deposit goes 50' under the water table. We have a layer of hardpan that makes a hydraulic cutterhead dredge unviable. Have looked at several different setups on deep gravel removal, and we are convinced that a long boom dragline would be best for us. I am searching for a Manitowoc 4600 dragline, with 140' of boom, with a 7 or 7.5 cy bucket. Preferably twin cummins with 1150 and 855 (for fuel economy). Must be in "ready to work" condition. I know there are some coal guys on here. I was hoping maybe someone might know where there is a good one setting. We are aware of the cost to move the machine. Thank you[/QUOTE]
Kiewit Had two sitting in a log yard that they just moved some where else. They sat there unused for years. They were in Rainer Oregon up till about a month ago. Might be worth giving them a call. I think they were moved because the log yard is expanding.
They sold to an outfit out of Vancouver BC two months ago. Extensive work is being done to them. Kiewit sure neglects their cranes. Beware of them
From what i understand they never ran them. They bought them with the intent of dredging with then but it never came to pass and they just sat for quite some time.
Thank you for the replys. I think we have found one that we are going to make a deal on. Its a real baby doll for the age. I will post pics and video if we get it bought.
Kiewit bought three 4600's new several years ago. One fell off a barge and one was working in Tacoma then it was in Wrangell, Alaska in 2005 where I was around it. It set rock on the new breakwater there. One was in Nome, Alaska working on the new causeway for three seasons. That one had waves breaking on the undercaridge and was in sad shape and abused by the operator. They probably sat in Rainer for five years maybe? They are in Vancouver BC I just confirmed.
Did you happen to talk to North American Machinery? Looking forward to pictures.
Thanks for the back story on those two machines. I has looked at them for quite a while. Always wondered why they just sat. I didn't know they had such a tough life. At least they are getting taken care of now.
Here she is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2mWoayj1GE No Cletus, I didn't talk to them. Shortly after I put the ad on here I went to look at one that was on Machinery Trader. It was a decent machine, but it was detroit powered (I have had nothing but bad luck with them) and the guy didn't have a bucket for it. To make a long story short, I called around looking for a bucket and found out that this machine could be bought. More money than our budget, but a way better machine in every aspect. Every big dollar item is like new. You cannot believe how long I have looked for one half this nice. They just aren't out there (for sale anyway). Plus, this ol' girl has a Tier 3 C-15 for the hoist and drag, and a C-9 for the swing and travel. Supposedly it only burns 12 gph with this setup.
That is a very nice machine. Glad you could make a deal.
Great Find! Wow! You did very good! I LIKED and commented on the youtube vidio. Thanks for posting that! I ran my first 4600 in 1986. It had a log grapple and was on a barge. I have been running a Series IV 4600 for ten years in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. It has a 1710 V 12 Cummins
Thanks! I have wondered what the fuel consumption is on the 1710-855 combo in the Series 1 drag. Does the Series IV have 2 engines? Are all of those set up as liftcranes?
The Series IV is a lift crane only so no duty cycle work. One engine only. I run the generator to keep everything toasty warm and keep engine hours to a minimum. We have good fuel economy that way!
How much is that thing good for?
Hi i dont know if you already have this Dragline but i have 2x4600 machines for sale €460,000 Euro in Denmark i have details and pictures they are 1976 machines in good order
I am dismantling one for export right now....in TX.. I can help you find same or similar units... Have few Limas... 1250 and 2400 series...
Manitow 4600 Draline we are located in Fort Lauderdale, Fl and have a Manitowac 4600 draline for sale. Please let me know if you are interested.
Did you find the machine you were looking for? Chuck Seaton
We have two Manitowoc 4600 draglines for sale in Sumterville, Florida. Both are in excellent working condition, freshly painted, and for sale by owner. Both have 140' boom and twin Cummins engines. We will sell with buyer's choice of 3 7cy buckets we have available. We would like to get them sold as soon as possible. If you are interested, call 352-445-1686 or email [email protected]
Ironplanet has a couple of draglines up for auction. They are in California. I don't know if they are the right specs for you.