Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for my first dump truck

ncmoore77 · 2019-11-16 12:43

Hi all In the next few months I’m going to be looking to buying my first ever dump truck My budget is $50-60k I have read a lot but can’t figure out which suspension is the best and also there is so many engine configurations to choose I’m open to any manufacture I just want a good 2 or maybe 3 rear axle truck I plan on doing basic hauling and grading and will be pulling a trailer with a cat 941b or a cat 953c loader on it Thanks for any advice

Replies9
  1. #1Truck Shop2019-11-17 18:30

    Here some reading, I think we are worn out giving advise for at least 6 months. HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2CM19952019-11-17 19:25

    What is your experience with trucks ncmoore? There is not a lot out there in the dump truck market for $50-60K in the southeast from my searching. It's either wore out junk for $20-40K or newer used trucks in the $80-120K range. If someone has a good truck they are putting it to work as well as the construction market currently is.

  3. #3suladas2019-11-17 20:27

    I can take the blame for that or would it be credit being such a informative thread? PS I am very happy with my new truck.

  4. #4petepilot2019-11-17 20:46

    atkinson truck sales--chatham va . you take 50 gs, in there i assure you you can leave with a dump truck

  5. #5805DirtDog2019-11-18 01:38

    FWIW we just got a used 2012 pete 367 from a dealer outside of Houston. The boss didn't want to spend much as it's rarely billable aside from mobilization. It has about 450k miles, 8ll tranny, isx12. Came with a brand new bed from some local fab shop. No ar500 or hardened steel liners or anything, but it works. It was 53k. They have a few to chose from. We just had to fab up the hitch and extend the apron on the bed, move some lights, and little things like that. Just needs a jake and it'll be done.

  6. #6AzIron2019-11-18 20:46

    anything I find that's in decent shape around here goes north of 60 thousand anything 50 and under is junk or has a maxxforce or cat accert witch are junk Read the thread truck shop posted anything you need to know is on that thread and everything else is to Buying used trucks can be a real crap shoot if your in a hurry

  7. #7Truck Shop2019-11-19 20:21

    https://kpr.craigslist.org/hvo/d/college-place-1993-ford-l9000-dump-truck/7020863463.html

  8. #8DoyleX2019-11-20 08:02

    So the last 10 years or so up here lots of good older single truck operators have been getting sick and dying. Their trucks are older yes but usually in pretty good shape and specd right. Might take a year or 2 but you will gladly enjoy you fruits instead of the bitterness of that great deal.

  9. #9ncmoore772019-11-20 20:05

    Will a Mack Granite 713 with the 375hp motor and 10 speed be enough Hp to pull a load good including my loaders and trailer From what I have read the camelback suspension is the way to go How important is an engine brake Thanks for any advice